Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 6

Old 02-21-2017, 04:31 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Wow Lady, that is a lot. On the bright side, it was a great story to read!

Does you son have spherocytosis? I was diagnosed with that as a kid, and had my spleen removed at 8 years old. Fun fact, when they removed my spleen, they found two small, mutant spleens behind the main organ. I had to take penicillin every day for 10 years...here I thought I was the only one!
Old 02-21-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Steely- be careful about protesting your thoughts- are they not still illegal in Q'land? (haha). I remember JBP very will. Him and his fatty 'racing minster'.
The scones were an icon. Put a bit of flo on the flo. (anotehr haha btw).
Hope all is ok with the housing stuff. I am in the middle of this. The application that was put in 6 months ago by a prof advocate for me (including a lot of supporting documentation) apparently does not exist. So once more into the breech of being' nice' to the faceless men hoping for a result. Patience and being nice is important. The 19 year old person on the other end of the phone (as far as I know) is not to blame...(:-)>
makes my teeth itch
Old 02-21-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

It's really sad. A light plane went down here with 4 American tourists and the pilot all being killed. They were flying to King Island, off the coast Tasmania. I'm so sorry.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Yes Steel, a tragedy.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Oh Phoenix. The Department of Housing and documentation! I lodged an application for a semi-literate bloke 3 times, and his situation was desperate. They 'lost' it three times. I lost it too.

Are you using a community housing provider or the Department of Housing?

Hope we both do well.

Here's lookin' at ya kid
Old 02-21-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Good morning.
Wow LSW you have been through a lot. Thinking of you and hope you and your family all feel better soon. So proud of you for staying so strong. Xx
I just read about that tragedy Steely. So sad. Hope all is good with you. Xx
Not much happening with me. On day 26 here. Still drinking copious amounts of coffee but am cutting down on the sweet treats. If heard you talking about chocolate freckles Steely and Poppy. Need to look them up as I don't know what they are but they do sound yummy.
Have a wonderful day. Love to all.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

No, Phoenix I agree, it's not the workers' within the Department. It's the Faceless One.

Can you imagine working for the Department of Housing?! Mind deadening. They are on the clock all day.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

They are beautiful Kimmy. They are a big round blob of milk chocolate covered in multi coloured sprinkles. Or, in old school language, "hundreds and thousands".

They are delicious and moorish, and I wish I had a bag now.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Housing. Keeping my options open. I hear horror stories of offered places -used needles, people using their bodies to get drugs, fights etc. I have seen that for 14 months- enough. BUT occasionally an okay one. I am assured housing here- but the choice is limited- patience and being nice.. As one challenging the crap out of me counsellor said 'if you get a house thru the gov. it opens up one thru this recovery program for some one else.' Fair enuf.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

It's nice to be nice, but always remember that a squeaking tap gets oiled. You have to really stay on the case and keep in (really) regular contact. Further documentation, phone, letters by, and foryourself. Keep a paper trail.

They forget about you all too soon. Keep pressing the urgency of your case, whilst still being nice. Really only telling the truth.

There are some really good places Phoenix, and some hell holes too. We have a small village here , architecturally designed in the 30's 40's, I think. It was an architects vision for public housing.

I have driven through, and it is really beautiful. Not faceless. The design was scrapped, and we have what you see today. Such terrific design, individuated, green...user friendly. No more.

Bummer to know that just because I've gotten sober doesn't guarantee anything outside of sobriety, and know there is a lot of work ahead of me to get this job done.

I finally figured why I was avoiding housework and hope it's not a rationalisation, but rather than just doing normal housework I am thinking in terms of packing. I'm getting some boxes from a local box supplier and will start packing books and miscellaneous stuff. Ditch all superfluous crap. It will help keep the momentum.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

And refuse the hellholes Phoenix. You can challenge an insistence that you move to somewhere that you know would be no good for you, and you have evidence. The two offer rule does not always have to apply. Maybe it's different in S.A.?

Old 02-21-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

I meant to say, "a leaking tap gets oiled." Not squeaking, that would be a gate wouldn't it?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Tnek Yes! My son has hereditary spherocytosis. What are the odds?? And my son also had a mutant spleen! This is just incredible. So you quit taking the penicillin? My son's hematologisists have said he should take it for a lifetime. And I believe his case is mild. This was the first time he's ever been hospitalized over night, Wow. I'm kind of blown away because most people, other than doctors, have never even heard of it.

I read all of your other posts and they made me happy I need to get up and do a little cleaning as I am in a window of not feeling absolutely horrible and I'm not sure how long it will last. But I'm probably going to be drowning this feed later as I am likely going to be mostly bedridden for a while. So apologies in advance!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

ST-thanks.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

I have been away from you all for a few days, visiting with my children. It was great to see them, and to spend the last few minutes catching up with you all!

I have been thinking that this whole sobriety thing isn't so hard after all, having had little trouble with not drinking. However........

This past weekend in Baltimore with my husband and son was interesting. The weather was unseasonably warm, and we were walking around the harbor, preparing for brunch. We ate raw fresh oysters on the street, shucked in front of us, while waiting for our table, that were amazing! We then sat down beside the water for a great brunch. I ordered roasted veggie omelet and my son ordered crabs Benedict with a BLOODY MARY! OMG! It looked so good, and I really, really wanted one! This was the first real test (for some reason) for me. Oh, to be able to sit by the water with my husband and son, enjoying a great brunch , with a Bloody Mary!

But, not to be..... I had an iced coffee (quite good), and my husband had a Diet Coke. First real test, and we both passed!
Old 02-21-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Administrator

Up here you can have up to three refusals on public housing you find unsuitable.

I gotta say I've never had a problem with the Department here - always very considerate of me and my needs

D
Old 02-21-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Hello all, retreating here for my sober sanity. One of my biggest triggers just occurred regarding my oldest stepson and his wife, who I cannot tolerate in any way shape or form. I won't go into great detail right now, as I am still in a super pissed mode, but they are both people who believe in entitlement, world owes them a living, expect things to be given and done for them instead of appreciating, you all know people like this. Okay,, moving on,,, We had loaned them money last year to buy tires, (they had paid us back quickly on a previous loan, so we "thought" they had grown up) now they are singing the blues, cant pay us back because of bills, blah blah blah,, and I just found out they are planning a big trip to Seattle and are so excited about it!!!
The history that I have with them has very few positive nor pleasant memories, abuse accusation regarding my husband, documented elder neglect of my father in law,,,,So always I would run to my stash and start drinking the moment anything regarding them came up. And that is where I am at right now, in a horribly negative place, wanting so badly to be chugging wine. But I am not going to do that, I came here to vent and get my emotions out in the open where I can see them and deal with them.
Escaping into the bottle does nothing to bring a positive spin to this in any way shape or form.. I know this and am already calming down, but it was close I really wanted that wine so badly. I had thought/hoped that I had gotten myself to a better place with them, obviously not. But I am approaching 100 days of better living, being in a much better mental place and I am not going to jeopardize that over them, they are not worth it, but I am!

So thank you my family for letting me vent, listening to my ranting babble, this is something I cannot express to my husband anymore, he agrees with my anger, so all it does is keep us both in a bad state, so I do a lot of internalizing and (previously) drinking, not healthy I know, but that is the way I am.

Life goes on and so does my sobriety in a huge part because of SR-
Badge
Old 02-21-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((Badge)))

D
Old 02-21-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladyshipwreck View Post
Tnek Yes! My son has hereditary spherocytosis. What are the odds?? And my son also had a mutant spleen! This is just incredible. So you quit taking the penicillin? My son's hematologisists have said he should take it for a lifetime. And I believe his case is mild. This was the first time he's ever been hospitalized over night, Wow. I'm kind of blown away because most people, other than doctors, have never even heard of it.
The doctors said I only had to take penicillin till I was 18. I never got that sick after that, but my sister, who also had her spleen removed, ALWAYS gets sick. I was hospitalized once after having the operation, though I was young, I don't really even remember what was wrong at the time.

No one knows about this problem. Even some doctors when they see my scar (my huge, 1980s surgery size scar, about 8" long), they're surprised.

Crazy! Tell your son he's not alone!
Old 02-21-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  

It's a small world LSW and tnek. Such a rare condition.

Great too, badge and Jillwink that you got through two very tricky situations. I would have salivated at the sight of a Bloody Mary and shucked oysters Jillwink, but know now that my Bloody Mary's can turn bloody.

That was a big one badge. Congratulations. We are worth it, and it's great to know.

Come to think of it Jillwink, a Bloody minus the Mary is a very cool drink to have with oysters. Tomato juice with Tabasco. Yum.

I'm doing well, but still no housework. Definitely buying a bag of Freckles to share with Poppy.