Notices

On My Way # 5

Old 02-05-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

One question; what's quick artesian bread?
Old 02-05-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
One question; what's quick artesian bread?
I'll post a recipe in a minute!
Old 02-05-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Was unable to copy and paste the recipe but here is a link:

5-Minute Artisan Bread Recipe | Leite's Culinaria
Old 02-05-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

SL, thank you for the link. I've read about no knead bread recipes before, but have never made one. That may change. :-) Enjoy the party today.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
SL, thank you for the link. I've read about no knead bread recipes before, but have never made one. That may change. :-) Enjoy the party today.
Thanks, GC. The bread is actually quite good!
Old 02-06-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I got the week started with:

2 rounds of:

30 jumping jacks
20 squats
10 pushups

3 rounds of:

Bb incline bench presses
Bb skull crushers
Db flyes
Db chest presses
High planks

2 rounds of:

Ab wheel rollouts
Leg raises
Weighted crunches
Russian twists
Old 02-06-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Dinner tonight is going to be a spicy lentil tagine.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:40 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I have a small amount of soreness in my tris from yesterday's workout, but nothing that's going to stop me from doing some solo bodyweight stuff at home.

Last night we travelled to Morocco for dinner and tonight we'll be visiting Israel. Falafels with tahini on the side for dipping and Israeli Chicken Sofrito. There are a number of cuisines that make their version of a sofrito, my guess is that the biggest differences stem from the herbs and spices used.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I'll be going to a 6:30 PM strength and stamina class. Before that I'll get in a few miles of walking as I walk instead of drive to do some errands because my screwy weather has brought a sunny day that will see the temperature reach the low 60'sF. Crazy. Yesterday was dreary and rainy with a high of about 40F. Tomorrow we may get 6 inches of snow.

Dinner tonight is going to be chili served with rice. I'm going to start the chili on the stove and since once I leave for the gym nobody will be home I'll transfer it to my crock pot. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the rice just yet.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

We had chili tacos last evening - discovered a new way to use leftover chili - a little messy but that's why God invented Brawnie paper towels!!!!
Old 02-08-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
We had chili tacos last evening - discovered a new way to use leftover chili - a little messy but that's why God invented Brawnie paper towels!!!!
Sounds tasty and I can envision the need for paper towels and napkins. :-)

Be Careful What You Wish For

After much deliberation I entered the lottery for the 2017 NYC Marathon. The odds of me being selected are slim, but certainly above the zero chance I would have by not entering. I find out in about a month what the results are and if I'm not chosen for a spot I'm considering running either the Marine Corps Marathon in Arlington VA/Washington DC or the Philadelphia Marathon.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Exercise for the day is going to be functional. The latest forecast called for 8-12 inches of snow and we already have 8 with the rate of accumulation showing no signs of slowing. My plan is to wait until the snow has stopped, probably sometime in the afternoon, and then go shovel.

Another consequence is that the fundraising dinner me and my wife were supposed to attend was cancelled so I now have to cook dinner.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp in a pesto cream sauce served over linguini and with a side salad.

In other news, I spoke with my doctor a short while ago and the results of my latest blood work came back just fine. Everything is in the normal range. I still have to go for an MRI to check the spot on my lung and then make a subsequent appointment with my pulmonologist; for some inexcusable reason I keep putting that off.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Please forgive me for not remembering, GC, but is the spot on your lung something new?
Old 02-09-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

On a lighter note, your menu sounds delicious.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Please forgive me for not remembering, GC, but is the spot on your lung something new?
Unless you have the capacity for total recall there's no reason why you should remember about my lung spot because I rarely write about it.

About 2 years ago I took an MRI of my chest and it was noticed. The standard protocol is to have it monitored for a couple of years and if nothing changes then I'm in the clear. So far, that's been the case, but I've been procrastinating about taking an MRI that should have been done a couple of months ago, for no good reason, and both my GP and pulmonologist are getting on my case. The second MRI I took, about 1 1/2 years ago, was when it was discovered that I had pneumonia, which answered a lot of questions for me about why only a few days previous I ran such a horrible race in Philadelphia.

Doctor: The good news is that the spot has not changed. The bad news is that you have pneumonia.
Me: What? That explains why I had such a lousy 10 mile race this weekend.
Doctor: You ran a 10 mile race three days ago?
Me: Yes; it was really hard.
Doctor: I find it hard to believe you didn't collapse at some point. You could have easily wound up in the hospital and shouldn't have run the race.
Me: Believe me, if I would have known I wouldn't have run.

On a lighter note, your menu sounds delicious.
A lighter note indeed and thanks for the kind words.

This Afternoon

Functional exercise for the day is done. One hour and 45 minutes of snow blowing and shoveling.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thanks, GC.

Go have that MRI
Old 02-09-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Thanks, GC.

Go have that MRI
I know; I'm just being an idiot. I've had a few already so I know the drill and although the process, through no fault of the medical staff which does everything to ensure my comfort, makes me uncomfortable, it's short and necessary.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Today is going to be much more of an active rest day as I'm sticking to walking and maybe some pushups as my exercise. Although the walking so far hasn't been all that much or strenuous, it did have a large impact on my longevity on this earth because I walked into town and got my wife a Valentine's Day gift and a couple of cards.

After what will be 35 Valentine's Days come Tuesday, 35 Christmases, 35 birthdays, and as of next month 30 wedding anniversaries coming up with gift ideas isn't becoming easier. Sometimes there's inspiration, sometimes desperation , sometimes I go big, and sometimes I go low key. This year I went low key. What has been one constant for all the Valentine's Days that we've spent together, with one exception, is that we dine at home and we'll be doing so again this year. I'm still mulling about some menu ideas, but I've decided to once again make the theme, "Red stuff".

My wife is going out with some girlfriends tonight and while I was invited I've opted to stay home and most likely will read. Dinner for me is probably going to be a smorgasbord of leftovers from this past week's meals.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

My wife and I were at a tough class at the gym this morning and in a short while will be taking a walk into town. We have no social plans for tonight and most likely I'll grill a couple of rib eyes that I'm defrosting and then we'll hang at home listening to tunes in front a fire.