I was at the gym this AM for four rounds of:

Db squat presses
Db reverse lunges
Kb swings
Kb bent over rows
Up downs
Mountain climbers
Duffle bag squat cleans

Shortly after that my friend came over and we spent a very enjoyable afternoon chatting and then going on a walk with dear dog. He brought over a rotisserie chicken and a salad; we had them for lunch and I'll be having the leftovers for dinner so no cooking for me tonight.

It should be an early evening which means I'll be in good shape to get a run done before heading to the gym tomorrow AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

As planned I got my run done before heading to the gym. My workout while there was okay, not great and not awful. One reason for that may have been that there was a very disturbing situation at the gym.

Just as I was about to enter the gym two police cars, lights blazing and sirens wailing, came to a screeching halt at the entrance and the officers bolted from their respective cars holding medical bags. What I shortly found out was that a few minutes earlier somebody was exercising on a treadmill and had either a stroke or heart attack. The gym has defibrillators and there are staff members trained in CPR so he was already being attending to by the time the police and subsequently the paramedics arrived. Very fortunately for this man there was a doctor exercising near him and she assisted the process; he was totally unresponsive for minutes, but eventually was able to breathe with assistance although he was in some type of shock.

I don't know the man, but along with many others in the gym was shaken by what happened. I briefly thought about going home, but decided that I would be better served staying and sticking to my normal routine. Now that it's behind me I'm glad I did, but I can't stop thinking about the man and how his unfortunate experience should be a reminder to never take anything for granted.

Moving along to more mundane stuff, I did four rounds of:

Elephant walks
Duffle bag cleans with a squat
Push ups
Squat jumps
Mountain climbers
Bosu ball squats with arms full extended at shoulder height holding weight plates
Low planks with shoulder touches
Lateral sprints onto a raised platform

I'll be taking my dog for an afternoon walk later today to take advantage of the beautiful weather.

Dinner tonight is up in the air as I'm not sure when the rest of the family is coming home.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

I wound up going to the gym last night and even though I had a lousy workout I'm glad I went. The same can be said for today's run. Something has to change mighty soon or I'm going to be in big trouble come November.

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp with a pesto sauce made with basil from our garden, pasta, and a spring mix salad.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

You are the most dedicated person I know when it comes to workouts, GC.

I think that the hot weather can have an effect on performance.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

I like it. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
You are the most dedicated person I know when it comes to workouts, GC.

I think that the hot weather can have an effect on performance.
Thanks about the workout dedication. I can't do what I used to, but I can still endeavor to do the best I can and, as I've maintained for decades, the mental benefits are almost as important as the physical ones and, most of the time, I'm comfortable not being comfortable as I push myself. I could write volumes that would bore you and everyone else to tears, so I'll end with admitting that there's also a vanity factor involved. It's not a big driver of my consistency, but it's there somewhere in the low end of the hierarchy. Okay, one more thing.

Last week my wife was at the gym talking with a woman we workout with once a week and age came up. I'm sure she was erring on the side of cautiousness, but she told my wife she thought I was in my late 40's. My take is she needs glasses. :-)

Originally Posted by surferdoc View Post
I like it. Thanks!
Thanks surferdoc. I'm not sure what you're thanking me for so if you could clarify I'd appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Thanks about the workout dedication. I can't do what I used to, but I can still endeavor to do the best I can and, as I've maintained for decades, the mental benefits are almost as important as the physical ones and, most of the time, I'm comfortable not being comfortable as I push myself. I could write volumes that would bore you and everyone else to tears, so I'll end with admitting that there's also a vanity factor involved. It's not a big driver of my consistency, but it's there somewhere in the low end of the hierarchy. Okay, one more thing.

Last week my wife was at the gym talking with a woman we workout with once a week and age came up. I'm sure she was erring on the side of cautiousness, but she told my wife she thought I was in my late 40's. My take is she needs glasses. :-)

Thanks surferdoc. I'm not sure what you're thanking me for so if you could clarify I'd appreciate it.
Nice compliment. I had a similar one ate the dr.'s office yesterday.

Fitness makes a real difference in appearance.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Nice compliment. I had a similar one ate the dr.'s office yesterday.

Fitness makes a real difference in appearance.
Congrats to you on the compliment; I'm not asking you to share, but I hope you were at the office for something routine.

Fitness....I'm at the age (59) when friends of mine are having or had procedures (tummy tucks, facelifts, etc.) to make them look younger. Meanwhile some of them can't walk a few blocks; some for serious medical issues and some just because they don't want to spend even 30 minutes a few times a week sweating and especially from the latter group when a comment is made about how great it is that I can do XYZ, I have to bite my tongue. I'm nothing special; I just try. Even age adjusted, I'm better than some and not as good as others. It's all good because I have great balance in my life.

Menu Change

Kids don't want pesto, they want Old Bay Seasoning. Easier for me, but my wife isn't happy that the basil she's growing won't be used to tonight. Ugh!
Old 07-12-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

I'm still in "suck it up" mode; my run was poor, but I'm glad I did it and as long as I'm not doing anything to magnify what's currently ailing me I'm going to keep at it, albeit with some grousing. :-)

I'm not sure about dinner tonight because I may be going to a minor league baseball game with my son; unlike the one we went to last week which was two miles from my house this one's about forty five miles and there's a 50% chance of thunderstorms starting a little bit before the game is supposed to start so we're in a hold pattern waiting to see the updated forecast.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

An unusual evening on many levels.

After making the "no go" decision about the ball game I was locked into a do something mentality with my son. We adjusted our schedule so my wife could join us, we ordered in Chinese food, and then went to the movies. Without a doubt it's been a couple of years since we ordered any take out and while I rarely go to the movies and my last time in a theatre wasn't as long as my last take out food order, I am sure that the duration since my last movie going experience on a Wednesday night is far longer.

The food must have been loaded with sodium because both my wife and I gained over two pounds yesterday and are feeling bloated so we're one and done with that restaurant. We saw Baby Driver, which was better than I thought it would be. Nothing Academy Award level, but entertaining for the most part.

Today is a scheduled cardio day, but it's already very hot and humid so I may have to do something indoors.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled pork tenderloin marinated in pesto using basil from the garden. I'm leaning toward corn as the side, but may go with a cold salad. I'm also going to make gazpacho today for general consumption.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

I got a short treadmill run done at the gym. There was not a pleasant minute.

A couple of days ago I agreed to take care of my next door neighbor's daughter for the weekend. The time frame has expanded from tomorrow morning until Tuesday night. As always my wife and I are glad to help out, but it's a long time to be responsible for someone else's kid.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I got a short treadmill run done at the gym. There was not a pleasant minute.

A couple of days ago I agreed to take care of my next door neighbor's daughter for the weekend. The time frame has expanded from tomorrow morning until Tuesday night. As always my wife and I are glad to help out, but it's a long time to be responsible for someone else's kid.
You and your wife are exceptional people.

Love and kudos to both of you.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

You and your wife are exceptional people.

Love and kudos to both of you.
Thank you for your kinds words. It takes a village, right?

Exercise for the day was functional. I spent about 90 minutes trimming trees in my back yard, most of it on a ladder which involved core work to keep stabile as well as shoulder engagement. Under the best of circumstances being on ladders is not my favorite place to be and when you throw in wet conditions and sharp objects, both manually and power, I was not a happy camper, but I've been procrastinating concerning this project for a while and decided to just do it.

We have more than a full house tonight; for the next five days we're watching our next door neighbor's daughter, dear daughter's boyfriend will be here for the weekend, and possibly another friend for the same duration. Minimum of six and possibly seven around the table in the nights to come. Dinner tonight is going to be grilled chicken thighs, roasted red potatoes, and a mixed green salad.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Another crappy breathing day; I did a small amount of exercise at the gym and since then I'm laying low in my air conditioned house. Pretty much a waste of a day so far. Okay, that's not entirely true because I'm doing some reading, but.....

Dinner tonight is going to be spaghetti and meatballs with a side salad.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Another day where my activity level was muted; I've been laying low and hope for something better tomorrow.

Dinner tonight is going to be lemon basil shrimp that I'm going to grill and serve over a to be determined grain. There will also be a salad involved.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

I'm feeling better today so even though my trainer wasn't available I went to the gym and did a solo workout using a 3x8 or to failure format.

Db bench presses
Bb bent over rows
Bb standing overhead presses
Db shrugs

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled rib eyes with roasted red potatoes and a to be determined veggie or salad.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

I should have run when I first got up, but didn't and the morning got away from me. It's now 86 with 60% humidity so there won't be a run this afternoon unless I do something inside. Spoiler alert: I won't. Tonight isn't feasible because I'm going to watch my daughter's softball team. Instead my exercise is going to be push ups and planks at home.

Due to the timing and location of said game, dinner is going to be haphazard. Maybe some leftovers before we leave.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Running in high humidity is lung-clogging!!!!!
Old 07-18-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Running in high humidity is lung-clogging!!!!!
Yes it is. I'll also add in energy sapping.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Today is a planned rest day.

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp salad served with a garden salad.