Notices

On My Way # 5

Old 06-23-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Hazy, hot, and humid was the forecast so I was out the door by 8:30. Yeah, I know not exactly an eye opening starting time. At that time the temperature was 81F/27C with matching humidity which equates to a heat index of about 85F/29C. Whatever. My goal was to slightly increase my meager distance and not focus at all on time and the end result was that I ran 2.3 miles at a 12:04 pace. Like last time all body parts felt good; my next run is scheduled for Sunday with a goal distance of at least 2.5 miles. Slow and steady distance increases for the win.

If all goes according to plan we'll be having sushi tonight with the twist being that we'll be making it ourselves. We did this once before and it should again be a fun and tasty way to spend a Friday evening.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:27 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

I'm off to the gym and then headed to a party about 90 minutes away for the afternoon.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

The pace of my short run two days ago was a good deal slower than any marathon I've ever run; considering there were no injuries involved it ordinarily would have bothered me a lot, but I did my best to focus on the process of building miles, pace be damned. Within reason of course. This morning was a different story. My run was 2.9 miles at a 10:53 pace, a half mile longer on a harder course, and over a minute per mile faster. To some degree the weather was more conducive and even if based on recent activity this was an outlier in the opposite direction than Friday I'm pleased. Actually what I'm most pleased about is the reduced recovery time, so even though I have a long way to go before I can enter the respectable category I can envision my plan coming to fruition. It's a good thing my recovery time was relatively quick before shortly after coming home, cooling down a little, and refueling, I was at the gym for a strength and stamina class.

The balance of the day is going to be spent around the homestead not doing too much. I see some reading and listening to music in my future. Dinner tonight is going to involve cut up chicken leg quarters that have been marinating for a couple of days. I'm not sure how I'm going to finish the spicing or how I'm going to cook them and I'm thinking of making quinoa as the side dish.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Monday morning fun with my trainer:

2 warm up rounds of:

Jumping Jacks
Squats
Push ups

Then 3 rounds of:

Incline Db bench presses
Incline Db flyes
Incline Db chest presses
Incline Bb skull crushers
Lat pulldowns
Bench dips
Standing Bb curls
Db bench rows

Dinner tonight is going to be roasted chick peas with spinach and sun dried tomatoes served over basmati rice.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Hi, GC.

Great workout.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Thanks SL.

Hope you're enjoying yourself!
Old 06-27-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Although not planned, today may be a rest day. I've had and will continue to have a number of things to take care of and not enough time in between any of them to run and then make myself semi-presentable.

We're unexpectedly going to dinner with some friends tonight so no cooking for me.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Enjoy, GC.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Thanks SL.

Hope you're enjoying yourself!
Totally!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Totally!!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

I ran 2.5 miles, no Garmin so no data. I'll be at the gym tomorrow and will run again on Friday with the distance starting with a 3.

Dinner tonight is going to be an eye round roast that I'll be cooking on my komodo grill with some mesquite added to the mix and the side is going to be roasted asparagus. In other cooking news, since I'm going to be home for the balance of the day I'm making a chicken stock from bones and giblets that I've saved during the past few weeks.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

I had a make up session with my trainer this AM. After the usual warm ups I did three rounds of:

Kb squats
Kb contra step ups
Bag clean and squats
Mountain climbers
Kb Turkish get ups
Ball slams

Dinner tonight is going to be linguini and clam sauce with a spinach salad as the accompaniment.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

I ran 3 miles at a 10:58 pace. We're going away for the weekend so my next run will likely be on Tuesday.

Dinner tonight is shaping up as burgers cooked on my komodo with traditional accompaniments and corn on the cob.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

My wife and I are off to the gym and shortly after coming home we'll be on our way to our friends' house.

It doesn't look as if I'll be cooking again until Tuesday.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

No exercise while away and while my food choices were fine my portion control was not. Combined with the increase of sodium and poor hydration I'm bloated today and I'll be making a big effort to address that by drinking a lot; to that end I'm already at almost a half gallon/2 liters of water. Also, in a short while I'll be lacing 'em up and going for a run.

Dinner tonight is going to involve a pork loin roast that I'm currently defrosting; beyond that I have no plan. :-)
Old 07-05-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Earlier today I broke my self imposed prohibition about running two days in a row. Only 3 miles at 11:56 pace, just about what my results were on my last run.

Dinner tonight is going to be chicken stir fry with a peanut/sesame sauce over rice.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

I had a decent lower body workout this AM

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled rib eyes with roasted asparagus and a spring mix salad.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

I rocked the rib eyes last night, but if the next couple of days go according to plan I may not be cooking dinner until Sunday. We're going out tonight for dinner and dancing with friends and after hitting the gym tomorrow AM my wife is going away for the balance of the weekend with some girlfriends from college to visit one of their group who owns a house at the beach. My daughter is going to visit a high school friend who lives about 175 miles/280kms away so she won't be around. My son may be and I've invited a friend of ours who recently lost his wife to breast cancer (FU Cancer!) to spend the day/evening at our house; at a minimum I'll make some appetizers and depending upon how I feel I'll either cook dinner for us or we'll go out. If we stay home, the current top contender is seafood paella, but that it is subject to change and likely will. :-)

I haven't done any exercise yet because it's been torrentially raining; I don't mind the rain, but there's a lot of local flooding so I know I'd have to run through a lot of water as well as getting splashed by cars going through accumulated water so my plan is to wait until the situations mellows, which according to the forecast should be in a couple of hours.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Take a break. Enjoy the rain, GC!!!!! Listen to the sounds and watch for the green-up.

My sentiments, exactly, to cancer. It has taken too many of my dear ones and at such young ages; it rips at my soul.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

SL, one nice aspect of the recent rain is that everything is so lush. In a dramatic change from earlier, the sun is now out; what's not a dramatic change is that I'm still sedentary.