Notices

Class of September 2016 Part 5

Old 01-20-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Living the life

Martin I have so much respect for you getting to the meeting and sticking it out. It is clear how difficult that was for you. I am glad that the Drs sound like they are going to make every effort on their end. As for the other, are there CBT resources available to you? SOS has wise advice about learning to interact without the alcohol.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HelenofTroy View Post
Martin I have so much respect for you getting to the meeting and sticking it out. It is clear how difficult that was for you. I am glad that the Drs sound like they are going to make every effort on their end. As for the other, are there CBT resources available to you? SOS has wise advice about learning to interact without the alcohol.
Cheers

They are arranging it. It's done via the GP, I expect I'll get a letter in the post soon and will either have to make an appointment or see my GP.

How are you doing today Helen?
Old 01-20-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Living the life

So glad things are working out Martin!

I am well - thanks for asking. I took the dog for a walk again today. I'm even considering going for a second one - that's unheard of! lol He has chronic ear infections and itchy skin due to allergies, but is on a couple of new meds at the moment that seem to be really helping so I am living with a happy dog. That makes me happy
Old 01-21-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Sounds like a plan is being put together Martin
Old 01-22-2017, 09:45 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi Martin - sounds like the doctors are taking it seriously and recognising the impact on you. Brilliant that you were able to face the discomfort and anxiety of the meeting and push through it - I don't underestimate how tough that was for you. Hopefully the wait for CBT won't be too long - especially if your GP understands that this is really affecting you day to day. Let us know how things go.

I'm doing OK. The Dry January trend means that there have been lots of articles in the press recently about good dry bars, non-alcoholic drinks etc - I've been enjoying researching some of that. I've also started telling a few more people that I'm not drinking, and that has gone well - just dropping it into conversation when it comes up. No major inquisitions about it.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

SSOH I'm glad that you are getting a comfort level dropping it into conversations. I also haven't had any pushback about it. People seem to accept it a whole lot better than I did lol

I have gotten into a routine that I'm sure would be very boring for some folks but I am loving my life. It is wonderful to wake up every morning clear headed and guilt-free. I try to do something constructive in the mornings including my new habit of taking Thor for a walk, and then I try to have some quiet time reading for an hour or two with a cup of tea and a nice candle. It works for me.

Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:10 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

That doesn't sound boring, Helen - that sounds like bliss! Our dog walks are still somewhat chaotic as she's still a pup - this morning, she got herself mixed up in someone's personal training session at the park!
Old 01-25-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Helen I agree with SSOH, your routine sounds heavenly!
I got some exciting news last night. The high school that my daughter teaches at is closing in June so she is thinking of relocating back here in MA. I have already connected her with an old friend of mine who should be very helpful in the job search
I have a movie and lunch date with a childhood girlfriend today. We grew up partying together. We had lunch about a month ago, when I told her that I stopped drinking. That didn't stop her from having several glasses of wine at lunch which was fine with me. She just told me that she has been sober for 1 month Today should be very interesting.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Living the life

Barbs I wouldn't be surprised if your sobriety was an influence on her decision. What are you going to see? I saw Hidden Figures last night and really enjoyed it.

Great news about your daughter moving closer!
Old 01-25-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Old 01-26-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I'm pleasantly surprised by the number of people cutting down / quitting!

I was quite stressed out last night and my thoughts turned to alcohol - but I noticed a slight difference... Instead of thinking "I want a drink", I found that I was thinking "Huh - I probably would've had a drink now". I'm sure the more immediate "I want a drink now" will come flooding bak at some point, and I'm trying to be ready for it - but I'm hoping this might be the beginning of a more permanent shift into seeing myself as an ex-drinker. I have never smoked, and I would love it so much if alcohol could come to occupy the same space in my head that cigarettes do: I know they're out there and I know that many people like to use them, but they have zero appeal to me and take up none of my mental bandwidth. I don't know if that's realistic, as drinking was such a big part of my life, but if I could wave a magic wand...

Great news about your daughter potentially relocating, Barbs!
Old 01-26-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never say never SSOH. Alcohol pretty much occupies that space in my head now

D
Old 01-27-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

SSOH that is a great analogy. I was a heavy smoker as a teen and young adult although I don't usually think about that because it was so long ago. I have zero cravings for cigarettes and the idea of smoking disgusts me. Here's hoping booze ends up in that same place in my head.

Have a good one everyone.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I’ve had a few busy days. Went to lunch with a girlfriend and then saw the movie Patriots Day. Since I live right off of the Boston Marathon route, I am at the event every year and 2013 was no different. Fortunately, my girlfriend and I were near the starting line of the marathon (the local bar) rather than the end of it. By the time the runners were crossing the finish line, we were completely trashed. We watched the bombs go off on the tv at the bar. Talk about a sobering moment… On a lighter thought, the way Bostonians were portrayed was not quite as accurate as the events of the movie (a bit crass I thought, lol).

My girlfriend has been sober for a month now and she told me that she was an alcoholic. That was a huge step for her.

Hubby and I went to a dinner party at a co-worker’s house last night. In the past I would have declined to go because I know I would have ended up drinking too much and making a fool of myself. I actually had one of the best times I have ever had. It was nice to be around people who drank “normally” and have great conversation. I actually remember the entire night.

Staying in tonight. Need some down time before heading to a comedy show (at the same local bar) tomorrow night. This sober socializing just might be becoming a habit

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!
Old 01-30-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

Barbs that must have been terrifying being at the Boston Marathon! And sober socializing has become my new favourite thing too. We had games night at my daughter's this weekend, and I remember thinking how cool it was that my hands didn't shake at all while playing pick-up-sticks lol I couldn't imagine playing that one drunk.

Wishing everyone well. Have a good one.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

Just checking in to say hey. Hope everyone is well. Martin, are you still checking in? How are things going?

Wishing everyone a good one.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

launched
Old 01-31-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

You got me with that one PJ....wha?

D
Old 01-31-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Too lateral- The face that launched 1000 ships, Helen of Troy. Saying hello. oops.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Living the life

Ahhhhh! I didn't get it either lol. Hey PJ