Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Part 14

Old 05-13-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Good BBG. I know you've had a couple of lengthy sobriety stints. You can do it again. And make it stick. You're awesome!
Old 05-13-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Day 18

I'm starting day 18, and I woke up with some kind of a bug. There is a kind of irony-- I have skipped work many times for hangovers, but I have to go today. That's really interesting. I think it means that when I'm drinking I don't care as much because if I had one of those hangovers I would not be doing this today.

Wish me luck guys… It's a long long day culminating in a formal party for a friends retirement.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Good luck Missy! I don't think you'll need it. You're doing great! I hope you feel better soon. I was the same way. I missed all of the time because of drinking. Now I come in even if I feel like I'm dying.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Not sure it matters if I'm at work though, since I stay on here all day.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Better now, sorry for scaring some of you. God, that was terrible.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 62 here. Two months today! So grateful I finally made my way back to SR on the evening of March 13, 2016. It's made all the difference in my recovery.

Not feeling real energetic so far this morning. Hopefully will find that energy soon as I've got yoga again here in a bit. Just ate a banana and coffee is finishing brewing.

Back to work tonight. I'm determined to keep a good attitude at work this weekend no matter what. I can't have another weekend like last one where something goes wrong and I react badly and then I just keep feeding on that reaction.

Hope you slept well and have a wonderful day today, Spacegoat.

Did you ever decide if you were going to take that new job, immri? I can't remember if you said you were definitely taking it or not. And I think Bobbieka is right about the Notre Dame pronunciation--sometimes we Americans just like mangling words a little. I'll look into both of those documentaries.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think maybe the thing is to try and make reason from the things that happen to us...I didn't ask to be alcoholic for example but I did get some good from it, eventually when I got into recovery....And it's led me to try and help others, best I can.
I like this. Thanks, Dee74!

Those are all good documentaries on alcoholism, KiKi0615. Though I don't think you can find it for free on YouTube, I also enjoyed one called My Name is Bette. It's about a woman going back and looking at her mother's alcoholism. Hope you're having a nice day today!

It's supposed to get up to 95F here today, Fabela. I'd take some snow. And why would anyone bomb a whorehouse? (And there's never not a reason to make cheesecake.) And you should start referring to the liquor store as the Very Awful Liquor Store. There's nothing very special about a purveyor of unhappiness and poison. Glad you made it through those thoughts. Drinking is a false solution. Always.

Enjoy that meeting with your son today, Bobbieka. Try not to sniff the baby too much or it'll always subconsciously think you're a rabbit.

Louis Theroux is definitely worth checking out, LoftyIdeals. He's an English documentarian who has made loads of one hour specials for the BBC. I'd say at least 90% of those documentaries are him investigating different subcultures here in America. He's a very funny but smart man who'll do almost anything for the sake of getting the story. It's also fun to get an outsider's perspective on America. Oh, and I hope you dump the beer. Let other people buy their own poison. Drinking and camping don't have to go hand in hand. Kids have a blast camping without having to alter their minds. Try to get back to that state of mind yourself.

Congrats on starting week three, samantha14! Remember we're here if those thoughts of drinking creep in.

Glad you've recognized that you're slipping away from here, beerbgone. We've got your back but we can only help if we know you need it.

Hope you get to feeling better quickly, Missy7. Give yourself permission to make a quick exit from that party tonight if necessary. Tell your friend congratulations but you're not feeling well and get the heck out if you need to. We're here if you need us.

If you haven't checked in yet today, hope you'll do so soon! Even if you've been drinking, you're back here reading this thread for a reason. Dust yourself off, get back in here, and figure out what you can do different this time to stay sober.

Ask for help when you need it. Help others when you can even if it's just to say "Hello" or "I'm listening". And remember you really do not have to take that first drink today no matter what. Drinking is a false solution to temporary problems.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Have a good day, Casey.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Smile Happy Friday (13th)

'Sup! I'm just back from town and the lunchtime meeting earlier. Good meeting, not too heavy. Weather is great so there was a number of scantily clad ladies in the room I noticed.

One of them sits down beside me which actually made me totally awkward and fidgety for the entire time somehow. I was glad the meeting ended early for group conscience.

However I did end up talking to her and her friend after the meeting and then again outside,they were lovely. Funny, friendly, kind (and did I mention- scantily dressed!)

We were talking about online dating and all sorts. I walked them to their car anyway, and they were going to the beach. I should have went with them eh?

Or at least gave them my number. I actually have difficulty connecting with people of my own age in sobriety, male or female, and I don't know why.

We did get to hold hands anyway at the end of the meeting, I guess that's something. New girlfriend. How did everybody else's day go!?
Old 05-13-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

[IMG][/IMG]

This is my oldest son, his daughter, my youngest daughter and the new baby.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Awwwww! You have a beautiful family, Bobbie! Thanks for sharing!
  # 131 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Beautiful family, Bobbieka! Love how Sophia Rose is checking out the baby.

Thanks for sharing!
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spacegoat View Post

'Sup! I'm just back from town and the lunchtime meeting earlier. Good meeting, not too heavy. Weather is great so there was a number of scantily clad ladies in the room I noticed.

One of them sits down beside me which actually made me totally awkward and fidgety for the entire time somehow. I was glad the meeting ended early for group conscience.

However I did end up talking to her and her friend after the meeting and then again outside,they were lovely. Funny, friendly, kind (and did I mention- scantily dressed!)

We were talking about online dating and all sorts. I walked them to their car anyway, and they were going to the beach. I should have went with them eh?

Or at least gave them my number. I actually have difficulty connecting with people of my own age in sobriety, male or female, and I don't know why.

We did get to hold hands anyway at the end of the meeting, I guess that's something. New girlfriend. How did everybody else's day go!?

You are cracking me up! Glad you got to meet scantily clad females.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Happy 75 days, Apple!
Congratulations on 2 months, Casey!

That's why I posted the pic, Casey. I love the way she is looking at her new best friend. I can't believe you remembered her name. You might be better than me. (no way)
Old 05-13-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
You are cracking me up! Glad you got to meet scantily clad females.
So am I! It's such a rare occurrence here it becomes an instant topic of conversation between the guys.

This place transforms itself from like the north pole to like a venice beach overnight & then back again.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Such a beautiful family Bobbieka! They look so happy and you must be over the moon.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

BTW, my daughter just shaved her head in March for St. Baldrick's. (childhood cancer research). It's a family thing. She did it before prom and graduation though. We are really proud of her. Even if she is mad at me all of the time. lol
Old 05-13-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Happy 75 days, Apple!
Congratulations on 2 months, Casey!

That's why I posted the pic, Casey. I love the way she is looking at her new best friend. I can't believe you remembered her name. You might be better than me. (no way)
Thank you for the congrats. Next goal is day 70. That day will be the second longest period of continuous sobriety I've had since my first drink in 1999. It was on day 70 last year that I wrote that long post that I've linked here before about all the various relapses and day ones, etc., that I've had here on SR. I might have to bump that one up that day with an addendum re: this latest and last day one.

I fixed part of that quote for you. And confession: I remembered Sophia Rose's name but I did go back and look to make sure it wasn't spelled Sofia.

That's awesome about your daughter shaving her head for charity. Didn't you do the same last year?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
Better now, sorry for scaring some of you. God, that was terrible.
A friend sent me this article and I thought about the discussions here in recent times. I thought it was interesting to hear how trauma survivors have symptoms instead of memories. I'm in touch with that feeling!

Trauma Survivors Have Symptoms Instead of Memories by guest @LinneaButlerMFT

Glad you are better - hope you can take good care of yourself today.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
I'm starting day 18, and I woke up with some kind of a bug. There is a kind of irony-- I have skipped work many times for hangovers, but I have to go today. That's really interesting. I think it means that when I'm drinking I don't care as much because if I had one of those hangovers I would not be doing this today.

Wish me luck guys… It's a long long day culminating in a formal party for a friends retirement.
You don't need luck ~ you got this! Congrats on day 18!

Everyone is sick in my house right now. I feel my time is coming soon! Get better Missy! This too shall pass.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Thank you for the congrats. Next goal is day 70. That day will be the second longest period of continuous sobriety I've had since my first drink in 1999. It was on day 70 last year that I wrote that long post that I've linked here before about all the various relapses and day ones, etc., that I've had here on SR. I might have to bump that one up that day with an addendum re: this latest and last day one.

I fixed part of that quote for you. And confession: I remembered Sophia Rose's name but I did go back and look to make sure it wasn't spelled Sofia.

That's awesome about your daughter shaving her head for charity. Didn't you do the same last year?

I think the bump with an addendum is a great idea. Eight days. I can't wait!

I like how you fixed the quote. Made me smile.

Yes. And she did it the year before. We have raised close to $10,000 along with two female cousins who have also done this. Not to mention various fund raisers we have hosted.