Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 5

Old 02-10-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

My doctor just called with the results of my blood work from last week. Liver enzymes were slightly elevated but stable. He said I just need to say away from alcohol and fatty foods and exercise. I've been sweating bullets for a week.
I never want to worry about this again... EVER!
6 weeks on Friday!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Don't have time to read everyone's posts right now, but I will later. Just checking in to say hello and Happy Wednesday!
❤️Delilah
Old 02-10-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Awesome news KDB!!! Im going through the same thing right now. Scary stuff but much easier to deal with sober

6 weeks!! That's Great!!!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Well I haven't been sick in 25 years. Now that I am not drinking I am sick again! Had that terrible cough for almost three weeks.
Likewise! And, as with the headaches, it totally sucks! My glands are up and it hurts every time I swallow or try to eat something.

Hope you feel better soon
Old 02-10-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by Lulu212 View Post

About 10 minutes after I posted, I received a call from the team hiring for this new role. They heard good things about my marathon interview day and want to discuss next steps this afternoon. I have to think that being sober just helped the karma of that happening so quickly along.
)
Brill! Love a bit of good karma. Hope the follow up today went well!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Evening all,
Hope everyone is going well and staying strong. I've just been to a great steps meeting- always come back so pumped and recommitted to my sobriety...
Almost finished my 31st day.. This is the first time I've done recovery properly... In the past I may come and post on sober recovery now and then but I've never put any other support networks in place...
For the first time in my life I can actually feel confident that I can stay sober and live a fabulous life..I've got a great sponsor, I'm making so many friends through my various AA meetings and I have all of you here too. My boys have noticed a difference in my moods. I always thought that I was upbeat anyway but they said I'm more patient and less snappy!! That's a good thing.
I'm starting to notice and appreciate the little things, a great coffee, the sounds of the waves at night from my back yard, and the world seems brighter(as cliched as it sounds)
Sorry about the long rambling post but I just wanted to share the great headspace I'm in right now. Even the drinking dreams can't dampen my spirits- We are a great support network and I'm grateful to be a part of the Class of January xx
That's so great! Yay you.

(And seriously, waves at the end of your yard? JEALOUS!!)
Old 02-10-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

So today was a good day. Work sucked (but what else is new?) but I had the first of my nights out with friends and anticipated having to 'fess up. So when they all ordered beer and I just ordered sparkling water... Well, there was a funny look or two. Then a "are you still off?" And a "I thought dry January ended..." But apart from that not much else. So I wasn't forced to say anything, so I didn't!

(And I had full smug mode engaged thinking about how they're going to feel tomorrow after quite a few pints of strong lager, whilst I drove home with a clear conscience!) funny thing is I had a great night, without alcohol, in fact, I think i had a better night than if I had have been drinking! Never saw that coming!

A slightly odd thing happened earlier though. Bumped into an old friend in town. She was a friend but then became my best friend's gf for 4 years or so so we used to hang out a lot. After a bit of catch-up she said I was looking really well... What was going on? So I told her straight up that I'd stopped drinking. "Completely?" She asked. "Yep." This big smile came on her face and she said how great it was. Fast forward and I mentioned to my wife about her reaction. It transpires that she'd mentioned in the past how worried they were about me and the drinking. My mate has always given me grief over it but to hear a different side of it, especially one that dates back to at least 6 years ago, was... Odd. Gave me a little extra perspective.

Annnnnyway, hope everyone had / is having a great day. Now need to prepare for tomorrow's big boozy black tie shindig. I've already set the scene that I'm driving but will expect some questioning.

Hugs
Old 02-10-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Great news, KDB! Also great is that you have already put into action the doctor’s recommendation.

MAV, even with the headaches and sore throat, you are just rocking this new sober side of you, YAY!!!!
Old 02-10-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

I never heard back from the company I had interviewed for a couple of weeks ago. I have been working part-time at an office supply store not far from me. Maybe it’s a good thing, as I probably need to focus more on recovery now and not take on any undue stress. The P/T job is super busy, so the time goes by quickly. The pay isn’t great, but it gets me out of the house and puts a little extra money in my pocket so I think I’ll settle for a while, at least until I am comfortable in my newly sobered skin. Today marks 34 days sober and 16 days free from caffeine and nicotine. All of which I have abused for at least 36 years; how crazy is that?
Old 02-10-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

You're simply amazing, Odelle. Keep on keepin' on, sweetie.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Everybody on this thread is amazing! Life is good! Things are brighter! I'm sure we all look better (MAV - I bet your friends are thrilled and get better soon!). Lots of good posts.

Just a quick check in tonight. Take care all. Still sober as is my husband. Today he said he doesn't think he'll drink again. He's not a binger tho. Plus his feet are bothering him and he's pre-diabetic. I'm so proud of him so far. I'm the binger kinda. When I would drink it was VERY rarely a glass or two. It had gotten to be a bottle or two and my body just can't handle alcohol, (neither can my sons).

Odelle - you'll get the job you want. Good luck to everyone and congrats.

Mortality starts to set in as you get older. We saw our attorney today to finish our Trust. An eye opener! I already feel like I've slept 25% of my life away. It's just too nice to mess it up with alcohol anymore. Loving sobriety. It is winter here. I'm wondering how summer will be. Will cross that bridge later. For now looking at now. If I were 20 years younger I would prolly be doubting myself. I THINK and pray my husband and I will both be ok. He's already cut back as he's gotten older (61, me 58) and now this six weeks totally sober! It's so nice to hang out sober and wake up clear headed. I'd always have a few (too many) and head off to bed. He'd stay up but he didn't binge and pass out.

My husband and I have worked very hard for what we have and, God willing, will live to enjoy it.

Take care all. Love ya all ! So much for the quick check in!

Olivia
Old 02-10-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

I came on here in a bit of a blue mood but have quite cheered up now, reading everyone's positive posts and successes.
I'll go and find something funny to watch now and just "go with the flow".
Best wishes, take care.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Two really good days in a row here. Got her card in the mail today ... what a relief. No matter what happens, I will rest easy knowing I've spoken my heart to her, and if that ain't good enough I still gave it my level best. AV has been very quiet, and when the SoB does pop up, a quick mantra shoos him away. My weekend starts tomorrow ... I'll clean some house, clean my truck, and sink my teeth into my speaker cab--goal is to have the housing (all the woodwork) done by Friday.

Looking forward to my meeting tomorrow night.

Life is good.

I hope all here are having a great day/evening. I'll be on after work if anyone wants to yap. Peace, y'all.

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
I came on here in a bit of a blue mood but have quite cheered up now, reading everyone's positive posts and successes.
I'll go and find something funny to watch now and just "go with the flow".
Best wishes, take care.
I sure hope you get to feeling better, ma'am.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

It'll be four weeks for me in about two hours. After several delightful pink cloud days the past couple have been stressing with long work hours. AV had been murmuring then kicked into higher gear with staying power for a good chunk of today. It was a combo of tired, stressed, running around town to get a package filled and off in the mail, and "you're kiddin.... Why?" type interaction about not drinking from someone that may not know how problematic alcohol was but had a decent idea. I don't come close but the craving and AV statements lasted a good 4 hours or so. Anyway, rode it through tested out a few of the methods I've read on here, and now, onward and upward!
Old 02-10-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Good job on beating down that AV RallyAly, and congratulations on 4 weeks!!!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Way to go, Ally!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

my biggest trigger is in the kitchen right now. My mother-in-law! She is a lovely lady but she lives with us and it's a public holiday here today so we are both home. I've already been out and about taking much longer than needed to just be out of house. I hate her living with us. I can't potter around the house. Or even make myself a sandwich! I was going to try to make a meat sauce but I can't now. My usual reaction would be to hide in my room and drink. Now I'm just hiding in my room! I won't drink and I'm annoyed with myself for doing that as a reaction but I need to find another way to get rid of the frustration. Yelling in my head to get the hell out of my house is not working. Arghh! I hate days off!!
Anyway, rant over. So sorry. I know people are going through real issues but I just had to let it out of my head before it manifests into my old solution.
Everyone is going really strong. Sorry about the job Odelle, but you have a great perspective. I want to quit smoking too but worried about the weight before my dance recital. Is anyone on the no smoking thread using stop smoking aids such as Champix tablets or is everyone going cold turkey?
THE card has been sent, Thump. Very romantic. I wish you all the best. I love how you call people ma'am. Very endearing!
Thanks for reading. Take care.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

ADVICE WANTED PLEASE-

I'm new to the whole AA thing.(not recovery in general as I've been around a little while!!!!) I do have a great sponsor but she has a LOT of rules which I understand. One thing she keeps saying to me is that I am now in my most CRUCIAL time for relapse in the next 2 weeks. I'm not seeing her until Monday, but is this a well known thing? It's made me feel a little anxious as I'm feeling great.
Is there a time in early sobriety that we are at the greatest risk of relapse(statistically).. I know it's a bit of a generalised question.... I just presumed I was over the worst being on day 32... and that I should just keep me guard up anyway

Thanks
Old 02-10-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Sandy, hope things get better for you regarding MiL. Like you, I don't like others in my kitchen when I'm cooking (unless she's extra-special and it's a cooking date, right?) so I can definitely feel you there.

Nic, I don't know the answer to your question ... I'm inclined to keep my guard up all the time now, after my recent lapse.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Lots of good stuff going on with our class!!

Thump, good for you for following your heart. It is also obvious in your posts that regardless of what happens you are staying sober for you, that is something to be proud of!

Lulu, good for you for choosing food over wine, I agree your phone call was good karma. Any other updates?

Tomorrow is the last day of the workweek for me, bring on the four day weekend!!