Class of August 2015 Part 6

Last part here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-5-a-21.html

D
Old 09-29-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
That's exactly how I feel Lovehoops. And I don't know how to ask for what I need or how to set boundaries, because for many years I drank to numb my needs and feelings and kept going anyway.

They walked all over me but because I was drunk so it didn't hurt so much. I would be tired, overwhelmed, terrified...and I drunk and kept going.

Now I don't know how to ask, or set boundaries while sober. I feel like they don't care about me...when the truth is I have no clue how to ask...so I resent them.
Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I can't stop thinking that I'm not worth it Dee...how do I go from killing myself with alcohol and pills every day to treating my life and body with respect? I don't even remember when was the last time I looked at the mirror and felt like I deserved something good...

The future terrifies me Dee...
None of us jumped into recovery without needing a little renovatin' Patricia

I had no idea on boundaries and I was terrified of the future too - but I trusted people here who said it would get better - and it did.

If you've done things a second way for years it's gonna take a little time to learn some new ways...but it's worth it. You're worth it

D
Old 09-29-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Patricia !
I know that a few mantras i learned from some religious speakers, ( Joyce Meyer, and Joel osteen), do in fact help me to feel better about myself if I say them every single morning on the way to work. Part of it incorporates being thankful and verbalizing it, just like the TIAGF forum on here.
All these yrs of negative things and thoughts have done a number on us. Reversing the downhill snowball is hard at first because we are all different and each person has a special idea or saying that works for them.
Hell I knew a 35 yr old guy that sings the Barney song (ugh), each morning.
It WILL be sucky at first, but there's loads of people on here that'll help.
Pls don't feel like you HAVE to be terrified. Well go along with you !
Hugs and prayers,
Jeff
Old 09-29-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeyofC View Post
Patricia practice the positive thinking and affirmation. Hang in there. Just try. That's a good step. Try. ((Hug))
I already got a few post-it notes on the bathroom mirror. It feels silly but it can't hurt to try...
Old 09-29-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

If you've done things a second way for years it's gonna take a little time to learn some new ways...but it's worth it. You're worth it

D
You are right...I didn't turn into an alcoholic overnight, it took time and a few changes...maybe it's time to reverse those changes and turn them into something positive...does it make sense?
Old 09-29-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Hey Patricia !
I know that a few mantras i learned from some religious speakers, ( Joyce Meyer, and Joel osteen)
I'm not familiar with their teachings but it sounds interesting. I'm going to check their websites. Thank you
Old 09-29-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So many words of wisdom here! I've done affirmations, listened to Joyce Meyer just this morning, and have stuck post it notes all over just to help. Fake it till you make it they say, even if it doesn't feel genuine it will start to take hold after a while. Our thoughts have a lot of power, more than we realize. Hugs Patricia.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Flashback

I made my dog happy because I had to take an 8pm drive to the drugstore (which is right by the liquor store I frequented around the same time of night) I would always bring her with me on my booze runs. She likes to hang her head out the window and let the night air whip her face many times I had to take the late trip because I ran out of booze or because I was attempting to abstain but the anxiety always got the best of me. Tonight I had to pickup some stuff to clean a new tattoo I got with all the money I saved by not drinking!
I admit, sometimes I am really tempted to just "drink on occasion " but that anxiety I feel when quitting is terrifying 😁 I understand why someone would drink BECAUSE of anxiety...but drinking perpetuates that horrible feeling. I sorta miss those folks in that liquor store. The owner was a sweet guy, but I could tell the ladies who worked there were sick of seeing my face. I wonder how many pumpkin beers they have in stock....dang. Someone needs to make pumpkin beverages that are non-alcoholic!!!(and no, I'm NOT going to Starbucks!)LOL
I hope you are doing well class!
Old 09-29-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

makes perfect sense to me Patricia... you build a new house from the floor up, not roof down

D
Old 09-29-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coleiope View Post
I admit, sometimes I am really tempted to just "drink on occasion " but that anxiety I feel when quitting is terrifying 😁 I understand why someone would drink BECAUSE of anxiety...but drinking perpetuates that horrible feeling.
That's true. I realized after my last slip that alcohol is a anxiety in a bottle. It used to relax me but somehow my brain got messed up and now all it does is to cause panic and anxiety...within minutes of the first drink.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey fellas, last post. Thanks for the insight and all. Stay sober!
Old 09-30-2015, 02:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Checking in early this am! Hope everyone had a good night. Dee will tell you it also helps to be active in more than one thread. I participate in a lot of them. Nobody cares if you post in a thread that says class July 2013! Post away! Everyone here understands where you are and how we feel. It's helpful to me to see people with more sobriety under their belt than me to read their thoughts and daily happenings. They're still human too but there are some very insightful and intelligent caring people on all the threads. It also helps you to help others. Don't be afraid. Participate!
Make it a great hump day! I'll check in later! ((Hug))!!
Old 09-30-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Militargh, where are you going? Stay with us!

Day 6. I'm feeling some calm serenity this morning after an emotional day yesterday. I read something on another thread about not having to figure it all out and it resonated with me big time. So true, I don t have to figure it all out right now. One day at a time, I'll get through this life as best I can.
I have a coffee date later this week, that will be exciting. And I'm visiting a friend in the hospital, it feels good to reach out to others to help.
Patricia how are you today?

Hugs all, if you are struggling, stick with it, this shall pass.....
Old 09-30-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ARGH, please don't go away.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ARGH, you are hysterical. I say please don't go away, and there you are at the bottom of the page viewing, for quite some time...but, as you professed, not posting. Go ahead. Post something "G" rated. What part of this planet do you inhabit? I thought you were in the U.S. and somebody else guessed UK. What type of work do you do? I always pictured you as an iron worker. What's going on? Are you ok? Are you still not drinking?
Old 09-30-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is a "Daily Recovering Readings" post that I read..it has a lot to do with AA. Even if you don't go to AA the things they teach and work with are applicable to recovery in every way. Here is a message taken out of that that I think applies to some people struggling here:

"We choose the lives we lead. We choose sadness or happiness; success for failure; dread or excited anticipation. Whether or not we are conscious of our choices, we are making them every moment.

Accepting full responsibility for our actions is one of the requirements of maturity. Not always the easiest thing to do, but necessary to our further development. An unexpected benefit of accepting our responsibility is that it heightens our awareness of personal power. Our well being is within our power. Happiness is within our power. Our attitude about any condition, present or future, is within our power, if we take it.
Life is “doing unto us” only what we allow. And it will favor us with whatever we choose. If we look for excitement, we’ll find it. We can search out the positive in any experience. All situations present seeds of new understanding, if we are open to them. Our responses to the events around us determine whatever meaning life offers. We are in control of our outlook. And our outlook decides our future.

This day is mine, fully, to delight in – or to dread. The decision is always mine."

Food for thought
Old 09-30-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh sheesh..then there's this one!!

"Keep It Simple
September 30

If we follow the Twelve Steps, we’ll leave failure behind. We may have tried and tired to be sober, good people, but failed if we were doing it our way. Now is the time to stop listening to ourselves and start listening tothose who have gone before us.

When we follow their lead, exciting changes happen. First we stay sober. We regain self-respect. We meet people we respect and become friends. Our families start to trust us again. And why? Because we gave up doing it our way and listened. We listened.

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, allow me to become an expert listener.

Action for the Day: Today, I’ll find someone I respect and ask how they work their program. I’ll ask them to share their wisdom."

Powerful!
Old 09-30-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeyofC View Post

"We choose the lives we lead. We choose sadness or happiness; success for failure; dread or excited anticipation. Whether or not we are conscious of our choices, we are making them every moment.
I agree with your post Key, but I want to point out that we don't really choose sadness. Feelings, both happiness and sadness, are natural components of the human psyche. Both will occur. But, with practice and guidance, we can direct how these feelings engage our reason and will. We can guide our feelings by how we feed them.

I only point this out because I remember these lessons so clearly when my kids were little. When they got sad or mad, I remember telling them they have every right to have those feelings. They will happen. It's how you react to those feelings that matters.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We don't choose it but I do think we choose to stay in it as opposed to trying to better the emotion. You can give in or try to get out. Just my opinion though!
These aren't my words, I copied and pasted. Thought the whole article both of them were good reads is all. I think that's the point being made is what you said Benice. It's how you react to them as in they referenced choosing them.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MilitiARGH View Post
Hey fellas, last post. Thanks for the insight and all. Stay sober!
Milita!!! No! Don't disappear! You are my August.17th sober-twin! Your posts often leave me bewildered and I don't know exactly how to respond.... But if you want to strive for sobriety, we are here to read them. I've gotten fed up with SR at times too. I've even erased the app once or twice, but I feel drawn to this group. Nobody else gives two squirts about how long I've gone without drinking or how I am tempted to grab a beer to celebrate something... or about how my mother is ruining her life and breaking my heart...well, I guess I don't know for sure If anyone here actually "cares" either. But here it feels right, I'm no ones buzzkill or downer. I'm just another random username...just like MilitiARGH...what does that mean? Are you in the military? Are you screaming for help? We are here to acknowledge you and your trials and tribulations, buddy. Even if we have to refrain from patting you on the back. Take care.
"if we don't change, we don't grow. if we don't grow, we aren't really living"~Gail Sheehy