Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 20

Old 10-04-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Yes, the buckle. We got that idea years ago from Alton Brown I believe.

I got a hair cut, so that's something.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hey gang.....I had to google blueberry buckle too. That looked great Arbor and I would imagine smells great while baking. May try that next weekend....my mom has several blueberry bushes and keeps us supplied. It's also about time for the maple roasted pears again. Just hoping the oven doesn't catch on fire again.

Just finished a nice long run but want to use this last hour or so of daylight to start pulling out the spent annuals. Loving the cool weather.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
Hey gang.....I had to google blueberry buckle too. That looked great Arbor and I would imagine smells great while baking. May try that next weekend....my mom has several blueberry bushes and keeps us supplied. It's also about time for the maple roasted pears again. Just hoping the oven doesn't catch on fire again.

Just finished a nice long run but want to use this last hour or so of daylight to start pulling out the spent annuals. Loving the cool weather.
Maple roasted Pears??? I thin I missed that recipe.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Update: tortilla berry pie was so rad!

My skeptical husband went from calling it Ghetto Pie to saying nothing at all because he was too busy stuffing it in his mouth.

It was just a flour tortilla, some frozen berries, sugar, and corn starch. The filling firmed up perfectly, and the tortilla got all crispy around the top. Turned out super delicious!

I'm quite proud of my kitchen wing it skills right now.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Delicious and easy....can't beat that!

Leigh, the recipe came from the food and wine website (ironic I know) and I really like it. I love real vanilla so adding a real bean made it better to me....and serving it with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Yeah the buckle is good Mark cause you don't have to go through all the trouble of making a pie crust and all from scratch. It's quick and the portion is manageable. You won't be disappointed. I love blueberry pie so this is next best.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Sorry this wasn't the most upbeat weekend for you Arbor. Fatigue from Daddy duty may play a roll.

It's sometimes easy for me to blame my moodiness on not drinking, but then I remind myself that it's my AV trying to frame it that way. Some days just ain't the greatest and that's true for folks that never drank and those that do. Just doesn't feel that way sometimes.

I hope you're feeling better phoebe.

On to a new week gang. Wishing everyone a great night's rest.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

How is your cold, phoebe?
Old 10-04-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

I felt better today, and did one of my exercise videos and have stuck with the eating plan. But, Friday night I made homemade pizza and let myself indulge. I was starving all day that day.

Still tired and a little congested. Going to go to bed early, which means now, since I get up around 6 with my daughter. Helps keep me from snacking too. Hungry right now!

Arbor, I had some Sunday blues as my husband walked about the kitchen with a beer while I made dinner. Had some good Chai tea later.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

glad to hear that you are feeling better, phoebe.

Arbor, I've had the blahs today, too - must be something in the air.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

Man o man I'm not having fun right now...I had to have another procedure because a condition I have got worse. It's icky and not for public consumption, so I will just say that I couldn't sit down or walk for a few days. Almost OK now, but no idea if I still have my job.

I hope everyone is OK...sounds like phoebe was/is sick. I will catch up....

Old 10-04-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry you're not having a great time of it healthwise - hope better times are ahead V

D
Old 10-04-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

All caught up...hi Dazee
And 14 days or 15/16/17 is awesome Popeye.

Glad you have a reception venue you like Conquest....loved reading the wedding stories....what about yours phoebe?

Sometimes it is easy to get a little self-indulgent in recovery I think...we are working so hard on bettering our lives, and that's really really good. But with that comes a keen awareness of our moods and needs. Also good. Except as you said Mark, not everyone is doing cartwheels all of the time. Well, you didn't say that, but you know what I mean...for example, we had our AFL grand final here on Saturday. Biggest sporting day of the year in Australia. Loads of hype...I was in hospital Friday, came out Saturday and I was in a lot of pain. And I didn't know how to sit ~ I have stitches, LOL! And I was thinking about how this is only my second sober grand final ever. (I was drunk last year).

So I mostly stood up, sober, in the middle of my lounge room and it was obvious in 10 minutes that the game was over. One team just crashed and burned....shattering for millions of people. A total letdown. Completely unexpected. And I stood here, and said "Oops".

I think this is what we can learn to do with all of our "blah" moments, or crappy days...they happen. We get passed them. They make us grateful for the good moments when we do AMAZING things like use a tortilla to make pie crust. Yum. I really really want to eat that.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee ~ how are you?
Old 10-04-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not so great today myself V but nothing to worry about
take care

D
Old 10-04-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

(((Dee))) ♥
Old 10-04-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I'm so glad to hear from you, V. Sounds like you've had a terrible time. I hope you heal quickly! I wish I could send you some pie.

I'm glad you're feeling better Phoebe, and that you're finding the program helpful. I've obviously indulged a bit today, but I think some flexibility is important. Dinner tonight was mashed sweet potatoes and whatever you would call a sauté of green beans, mushrooms, bell peppers, shredded chicken, garlic and, oh yeah, bacon fat. It was a healthy meal until that, right? Haha! I figure a little doesn't hurt, and it adds so much flavor.

Arbor - it's true that we have good days and bad days in sobriety. It's important to remember how awful and depressed you felt when you were drinking. The high wasn't worth it when you compare it against the low. I know my attempts to correct a crappy day with alcohol ultimately just led to a crappy whole week (or month, or several months). I'm sure the lack of sleep isn't doing you any favors right now either. Some days we just gotta get through and do what we can to increase the odds that tomorrow will be better. Drinking definitely doesn't accomplish that.

And I hope you feel better too, Dee. Our group is hurting a bit. Hang in there you guys.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:34 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Good morning gang and happy Monday. Great to see you back V.

Having to use an alternate gym as mine is closed until next week. Feels like starting another school. I never did like being the new kid but gonna go and try to make some positive endorphins to kick off my Monday.

Wishing each of you the best day.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:24 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

You guys are the best, thanks!! Made me feel a lot better.

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
Sorry this wasn't the most upbeat weekend for you Arbor. Fatigue from Daddy duty may play a roll. It's sometimes easy for me to blame my moodiness on not drinking, but then I remind myself that it's my AV trying to frame it that way. Some days just ain't the greatest and that's true for folks that never drank and those that do. Just doesn't feel that way sometimes.
Thanks for this Mark. Hit the nail right on the head. Too much blame. It's not that I'm not drinking cause that's not what I'm looking for, bit can't help but feel like that's the core. Sucks cause even my wife pointed out my mood. I certainly don't want to bring people down, but that just the way it is sometimes. Hard to find the quick solution sometimes.

Have a great Monday everyone.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Oh and glad to see you V!

Feel better!!!!!!!!!!!!

8)