Notices

Class of September 2015 Part 4

Old 10-08-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

PS shared this in another thread. Thought it was interesting. Someone posted in the 24hour thread:

UCLA neuroscience researcher Alex Korb explains:

"Everything is interconnected. Gratitude improves sleep. Sleep reduces pain. Reduced pain improves your mood. Improved mood reduces anxiety, which improves focus and planning. Focus and planning help with decision making. Decision making further reduces anxiety and improves enjoyment. Enjoyment gives you more to be grateful for, which keeps that loop of the upward spiral going. Enjoyment also makes it more likely you’ll exercise and be social, which, in turn, will make you happier."
Old 10-08-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  
Rar

Good Morning All - When I woke up this morning, I felt like I had a little bit of a hangover. I haven't been sleeping well for a couple of nights. I have a prescription for Restless Legs and 2 nights ago, I tried going without it. I didn't sleep well that night because of the legs (restless and very achy). Last night I took the pill. Legs were okay, but I still kept waking up. Today I feel drugged and have a headache. Don't know if it's the pill or the lack of sleep. Because I feel so crappy, I'm not having much motivation.

You know, the lethargic feeling and headache remind me of the hangovers and the drinking the night before. I had to reassure myself that I didn't drink. I can't imagine going back to the drinking days and feeling like this EVERY DAY.
I need to motivate myself to get in the shower and get to water aerobics. I'll feel better.

Hope everyone has an awesome day.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Good morning, all! Rar, I hope you feel better. Poor sleep can really get you down, something I never fully realized when I was drinking.

30 days today! Thank you to all of you for the support and inspiration!
Old 10-08-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Good for you Matilda! Woohoo!
Old 10-08-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Matilda...that is AWESOME!!!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  
Rar

YAY, Matilda. That is so wonderful!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

30 days is AWESOME Matilda! Well done!
Old 10-08-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Just want to say well done to everyone here, still going strong, still reading, still posting : )))

I told someone new today that I'd stopped drinking because I'd developed a problem with it. It's getting much easier to say and I'm not nervous about relapsing and having them know I've failed which would ordinarily be my reason for keeping quiet.

I'm quietly confident but also thinking ahead a few days, checking for possible triggers, difficult situations...

We're going away tmrw for 2 nights to the coast, just staying in a caravan. Normally I'd be packing 4 bottles of wine (just for me) and snacks. Instead, I've packed spicy tomato juice, flavoured water, cranberries, Brazil nuts, dark chocolate and I'm planning and picturing me ordering non-alcoholic juices from the bar. The only thing I think I may struggle with is staying up late as I've been in bed by 9pm every night for the last month, lol!!
Old 10-08-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Well done Matilda.

For the first time in as long as I can remember two good things are happening. The first is that I am sleeping right through the night and waking up refreshed. I've always woken up exhausted. Now I'm bouncing out of bed ready for the day ahead.

The second is that for years I've always had a nap after lunch, a 20 or 30 minute power nap I kidded my self. Always woke up groggy and in need of something sweet. Now I can't sleep after lunch. Food is affecting me the way it's supposed to. It acting like fuel and energising me. I'm not hitting a wall and crashing during work like before.

Lastly I haven't had a health check in about 10 years. I'm never sick right enough. But I though with my new healthy lifestyle I would arrange one. So the earliest I could get one is in November, about 6 weeks away. This should really help me stay healthy ie sober for the next few weeks. Flunking a test is never a good thing.

Oh and one more thing I post in the 24 hour recovery thread daily. It helps me make a conscious commitment to not drink every morning as soon as I wake up. Yesterday I forgot to post. I think that this is a good sign. I forgot to post means I forgot about alcohol. It wasn't lurking in my subconscious trying to entice me.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
Well done Matilda.

For the first time in as long as I can remember two good things are happening. The first is that I am sleeping right through the night and waking up refreshed. I've always woken up exhausted. Now I'm bouncing out of bed ready for the day ahead.

The second is that for years I've always had a nap after lunch, a 20 or 30 minute power nap I kidded my self. .
Thanks, Midton! Wow, I could have written this. It was only after I read your note that I realized my "power" naps are now a rare occurrence. Sober sleep is definitely one of the pluses of sobriety!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foreverfuzzy View Post
J
We're going away tmrw for 2 nights to the coast, just staying in a caravan. Normally I'd be packing 4 bottles of wine (just for me) and snacks. Instead, I've packed spicy tomato juice, flavoured water, cranberries, Brazil nuts, dark chocolate and I'm planning and picturing me ordering non-alcoholic juices from the bar. The only thing I think I may struggle with is staying up late as I've been in bed by 9pm every night for the last month, lol!!
Have fun, FF! I love to go to sleep at the coast early, actually. Waves sort of lull you...

That makes me wonder: what non-alcoholic beverages do you drink? I've been just drinking seltzer, sometimes with lime, or seltzer and grapefruit juice. I should expand my list if I go on this weekend getaway!
Old 10-08-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Congrats, Matilda on 30 days!!

I made it through another day sober, but it was a horrible day and I'm drained. I don't understand this pink cloud syndrome. In fact, I'm experiencing the opposite - the "black cloud" syndrome. Everytime I try to be upbeat and positive and keep sober, life drags me down. I think it has more to do with being a parent than anything else. I'm really a pretty positive person generally!!!

I had a horrible session with my daughter and her psychiatrist and it was draining the life out of me. While I was in the session, I decided I was going to drink - 100%. Yes, I was stopping on the way home for some freaking wine - Pinot Noir in fact. Then I started running the tape through and the details got more fuzzy. How much could I reasonably drink without getting sick? Would it be enough to feel a buzz or some sort of relief? Would I just get more sad and irritable? No worries, I thought, I would sort it all out later.

When I got home, I didn't go to the wine store right away. I came up to my room and got in child's pose (a yoga pose that's calming). Then the thoughts of wine started drifting away and I saw myself taking a hot bubble bath and having a plate of food with a nice glass of ice water. So I did those things instead of drinking wine. Made it through today. Weekdays are challenging for me. Thursdays can be brutal. This was a brutal Thursday.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juno11 View Post
Congrats, Matilda on 30 days!!

I made it through another day sober, but it was a horrible day and I'm drained. I don't understand this pink cloud syndrome. In fact, I'm experiencing the opposite - the "black cloud" syndrome. Everytime I try to be upbeat and positive and keep sober, life drags me down. I think it has more to do with being a parent than anything else. I'm really a pretty positive person generally!!!

I had a horrible session with my daughter and her psychiatrist and it was draining the life out of me. While I was in the session, I decided I was going to drink - 100%. Yes, I was stopping on the way home for some freaking wine - Pinot Noir in fact. Then I started running the tape through and the details got more fuzzy. How much could I reasonably drink without getting sick? Would it be enough to feel a buzz or some sort of relief? Would I just get more sad and irritable? No worries, I thought, I would sort it all out later.

When I got home, I didn't go to the wine store right away. I came up to my room and got in child's pose (a yoga pose that's calming). Then the thoughts of wine started drifting away and I saw myself taking a hot bubble bath and having a plate of food with a nice glass of ice water. So I did those things instead of drinking wine. Made it through today. Weekdays are challenging for me. Thursdays can be brutal. This was a brutal Thursday.
Juno, that is fantastic. Great job thinking it through and checking in and thinking it through.

Your mention of child pose took me back to my first yoga class almost 20 years ago. When we did child pose I burst into tears. It was only years later that I learned about how that pose helps to release hurt and pain, including old hurts and pain.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Wow, that's very cool. It's a powerful pose and so simple. I'm going to remember the effect it had on me tonight. Just the concept of delaying the trip to the store and doing something else can change your thoughts, your plans and re-program your brain. I really didn't want to drink - it would have made everything *much* worse!!!
Old 10-08-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

WOW Juno. Just......WOW!
Old 10-08-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Juno that is really inspiring....I hope you know that.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Half tortoise is also really good for depression and anxiety. Yoga is my savior, quite frankly.....
Old 10-08-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Think I'll google child pose too. I've tried meditating unsuccessfully and could certainly do with some inner help.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Well done Juno, great turnaround!

Midtown - I too am sleeping for England and wake up feeling like a kid again, kind of energetic, curious, ready for the day!

Non alcoholic beverages I am drinking;

Normal "builders" tea with milk - 2 cups a day
Black coffee - 2 cups a day
Lime and ginger herbal tea
Moroccan mint herbal tea
Lemon and lime flavoured still water
Tap water with ice and lemon and real mint leaves
Cup a soups - tomato or Thai chicken
Low cal hot chocolate - plain or flavoured - orange, mint, praline
Tomato juice with Worcester, tobasco and celery salt

Think that's it?!

This weekend I'll treat myself to a slush puppy (ice slush drink) if they have s machine at the holiday park : )))

I'm finding hot drinks work really well in the evening as they tend to take up a chunk of time - 20 minutes - aswell as just being a drink.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Great drink suggestions, ff! Thanks! Totally agree on the hot drinks!