Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 7

Old 10-09-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  
now's the time

Welcome, Bellamiia! Congrats on 77 days!

Cbf, glad you're hanging in there. I write for a living a lot of the time, too. It's good to have fun with it still. One of my sober goals is to start writing creatively again.

Letitgo, I've gone to a couple of ghost meetings as well... very bizarre feeling to be creeping around strange churches in the dark, trying all the doors and peeking in the windows. I've yet to come up with what my alibi might be if someone asked what I was doing!

US -- that dream description made me laugh. I like that checking the cat's safety off made the flood ok!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Hi all

Not checked in for a few days, but in still going strong. On day 86 now. Things are sailing pretty smoothly right now, so I've not got much to report. I'm enjoying the daily habit of rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.

My MH is still improving as the amount of time progresses. I feel pretty great most of the time and I'm able to stay calm and collected now in the vast majority of circumstances.

I will keep on heading in the right direction
Old 10-09-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

BBB so glad for you!
Welcome Bellamiia!
Fantail...hey!
Hey to everyone..((hug))!
Have a good sober Friday night
Old 10-09-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Oh and for the aussie/ Zealander folk.... We say push bike here in the UK too. (Or at least we do up north). There have been loads of New Zealanders in the city today for the rugby world cup match. All Black jerseys everywhere!
Old 10-09-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Hello Julyers,

Let's see:

Bellamiia (nice name)- Welcome and congrats on 77 days!

BBB- sounding good

letitgo- Sending good vibes your way and hope you can get some quality time at home soon.

cbf- Happy you posted and hope your health issues aren't too bad.

So fantail and shabby, you guys are also lifetime insomniacs. I'm actually very happy to hear that researchers are working on 'what to do with us'. It's hard (and I don't even try anymore) to explain to people who have situational insomnia what the chronic version is like (or the acute severe version). I was once awake for several days without a single wink of sleep. That was a particular hell I wouldn't wish on anyone...
Old 10-09-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

On a more lighthearted note, I just figured out I'm "Northern hemi-centric". Forgetting that for you 'southerners' it's spring. What is spring in NZ like?

Oh, one more thing. I think I will use the term "push bike" just for kicks. Maybe find some triathlon person with a super cool bike and say "Wow, how's that push bike going for ya?"

Too much coffee.

Have a great start of the weekend, everyone.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Red bull time!!

Old 10-09-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Ha- You got that right, letit! Strangely, I associate caffeine with sobriety. Couldn't drink much at all when I was drinking (or when I had bad insomnia). It does make me a little manic though-
Are you still in CA?
Old 10-09-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

BBB - I visited the UK once and I know exactly what you mean about the jerseys! It was nuts. I also remember being in london when a manu vs chelsea game was going on that day and I think I seen blue for days on end.

Insomnia was a major thing for me the first month of sobriety, it tapered off some but I still have issues.

letitgo - redbull hmmm, that stuff doesn't make you anxious? I used to love energy drinks and drank them often on the mornings I didn't drink, now I'm scared to try them :P
Old 10-09-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
Oh and for the aussie/ Zealander folk.... We say push bike here in the UK too. (Or at least we do up north). There have been loads of New Zealanders in the city today for the rugby world cup match. All Black jerseys everywhere!
Interesting

I find that Northern phrases and idioms are really prevalent in my family - which is a little odd cos apart from one Great Grandfather coming from Stafford, no ones from Oop North

D
Old 10-09-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Huh...my father's family were from Yorkshire...interesting.

I think the best thing about spring in New Zealand is the increased bird activity. It's very, very green over here. Billy Connolly once said he came into New Zealand for the umpteenth time and saw a banner 'save the trees!!!' He's was like, "there's nothing *but* trees!!?!!"

cbf and Fantail - if you are interested I started popping in on the 'reading sober' and 'writing sober' threads authored by courage. They're near the bottom of the thread list under inspirations/sayings and what not. Courage is a fan of mid-twentieth century American poets, Fantail. I think I read on one of your old posts when I was rummaging around on SR that you are a Raymond Caver fan, so you might enjoy it. Not many people frequent it, so I think she would enjoy more company, Just an idea :-)

I am not feeling remotely tempted to drink lately. I even went to a bar and didn't feel tempted. Could I have *finally* learnt to do what is best for me and my family?! The thought of drinking is a total turn off. Weird....but I like it!!!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

P.S. Bellamiia, do you want to tell us a little bit about yourself? :-)
Old 10-09-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Thanks Shabbs, I'll definitely take a look. I'm a huge reader, it's one of my main hobbies. My favourite author is Jack Kerouac, but I love all the work of the beat-era poets, Corso, Ginsberg, etc. Love a lot of contemporary stuff, too, but I do prefer older works for the most part.

Think I'll try and get a bit creative again for my next post on my way to work (again!) this morning. Seeing as the last attempt went down so well :-)
Old 10-09-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome everyone!!
Sure tooshabby I'm 33 I live in Florida (fall weather is finally starting!) I found this forum by googling symptoms and started reading. You all changed my life! I'm sober (and feel great!) and going back to school As long as I keep reading here and stay busy I'm okay. I look forward to getting to know everyone!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
I am not feeling remotely tempted to drink lately. I even went to a bar and didn't feel tempted. Could I have *finally* learnt to do what is best for me and my family?! The thought of drinking is a total turn off. Weird....but I like it!!!
I'm feeling the same way. It's great isn't it?!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bellamiaa View Post
Thanks for the welcome everyone!!
Sure tooshabby I'm 33 I live in Florida (fall weather is finally starting!) I found this forum by googling symptoms and started reading. You all changed my life! I'm sober (and feel great!) and going back to school As long as I keep reading here and stay busy I'm okay. I look forward to getting to know everyone!
Hey Bellamiaa, welcome :-)
Old 10-09-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Yeap still in sunny CA until Thursday. I usually drink caffeine only but i am trying to drink water and noncaffenated drunks. I splurged today on redbull. Tired from working 60-70 hour weeks. Needed a pick me up. I got some meditation in during lunch.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

It sure is great, Bellamiia :-) I feel like I'm slowly coming alive again. Going back to school - how exciting! It's so great being an adult student. I appreciated it so much more. As a child I was a chatterbox pain in the neck who wouldn't do their work but as an adult I sat at the front of the class and turned around and glared at people who were talking!

Water is a great idea, letitgo. I like drinking sparkling to make it more interesting :-)
Old 10-09-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

It's a slightly odd, overcast morning here. A quiet kind of day that doesn't really know what to do with itself - what to make of it all. I'm sure we all feel that way at times. I know I do.

I've mentioned before that I live right on the coast, and my journey to work takes me past a shoreline that's different everyday.

Today, to the east, washes of pink and peach paint the sky autumnal, the slanted rays of the cool morning sun cutting through cotton-wool clouds. Turning to face the northern horizon, the skies are colder, darker. The offshore wind farm stands at odds with the flattened tin foil sea, like the last two unacquainted people standing silently at a party. Neither willing to make the first move.

Dog walkers walk dogs, joggers jog, cyclists cycle. The sea sees all but says nothing. The sky looks on, indifferent.

And I don't want to go to work :-). I also don't want to drink either, though, so I'm grateful for that. Let's do another day, another week, another month, year and lifetime, Julyers.

Have a wonderful Saturday!
Old 10-10-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cbf123 View Post
It's a slightly odd, overcast morning here. A quiet kind of day that doesn't really know what to do with itself - what to make of it all. I'm sure we all feel that way at times. I know I do. I've mentioned before that I live right on the coast, and my journey to work takes me past a shoreline that's different everyday. Today, to the east, washes of pink and peach paint the sky autumnal, the slanted rays of the cool morning sun cutting through cotton-wool clouds. Turning to face the northern horizon, the skies are colder, darker. The offshore wind farm stands at odds with the flattened tin foil sea, like the last two unacquainted people standing silently at a party. Neither willing to make the first move. Dog walkers walk dogs, joggers jog, cyclists cycle. The sea sees all but says nothing. The sky looks on, indifferent. And I don't want to go to work :-). I also don't want to drink either, though, so I'm grateful for that. Let's do another day, another week, another month, year and lifetime, Julyers. Have a wonderful Saturday!
Ummm you need to write books!! Lots of them lol