Notices

(Not So) New - Frank's Thread Part3

Old 09-01-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

I found a way to fit in https://youtu.be/ijL-hvDTfMs I'm going to find these things on Youtube LOL https://youtu.be/_ZU0uFgrhr0. More thrills & chills for me to learn
Old 09-01-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NestWasEmpty View Post
I found a way to fit in https://youtu.be/ijL-hvDTfMs I'm going to find these things on Youtube LOL https://youtu.be/_ZU0uFgrhr0. More thrills & chills for me to learn
HAHAHA! Thanks Nest!! Gave me shivers! There was one he rode a tarantula or something and after that I was banned from Jonny due to night terrors. Hadji was cool tho!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Your welcome Sadie , I know you mentioning Johnny Quest rang a bell , but I couldn't put my finger on it . Sure brought back memories . Scooby Doo had some scary parts too . I still rather see kids watch those kinds then the shooting & nasty talking cartons they have on now
Old 09-01-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NestWasEmpty View Post
Old 09-01-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Absolutely!!! That was soooooooo gorgeous, Nest :-D Obviously not created by a New Zealander because the car was on the wrong side of the road! (hate to be picky) :-) Oh wow, that was so cute. I'll be sending that to several people.

You think you're a hick, you want to see the house I grew up in - and the area. Sheesh. Have any of you guys seen 'Once Were Warriors'? It's quite dated now but it still packs a powerful punch (no pun intended). It's about a working class Maori family (they're pretty much all working class). Same upbringing as you and I, Nest. In fact, be careful, because if you get triggered by watching stuff that cuts a bit too close to the bone you might find it disturbing. I remember watching it with my then husband when it came out, and stopping it (video) halfway through to go to the bathroom. 20 minutes later he yelled out "what are you doing?!" I'd been furiously cleaning the bathroom in a state of extreme anxiety. I used to clean the house to try and keep my mother happy. The Mum in this movie is lovely though, not scary, like mine was (I love her despite that).

Sadie - I don't know Johnny Quest or Zelig....going to look those up :-)

Janes! You have twin girls?! How gorgeous! What age is third grade?

Hi Saoutchik :-) How are you?

Jen, you are going to LOVE this....it's an amazing crime doco. Man, I think the vast majority of people are lovely, but some people are something else. I mean, something ELSE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26qXlpYwKrM

P.S. On a serious note, I had an enormous victory last night on the way home from work. I felt really happy and excited about life, and I didn't stop off and get alcohol to calm myself down and 'celebrate'! Happiness is a huge trigger for me. Go figure. Anyway, it's a major step for me to feel that way and not feel like I have to quell the emotion.

Love TS
Old 09-01-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Whoa! This thread moves fast

I'm fine thank you Tooshabby

Nice clips NestWasEmpty - you're no hick

Scooby Doo hasn't been the same since Fred went off the rails
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20150901_193649.jpg (32.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-01-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  
saoutchik

OK this is hardly big news but we have had torrential rain the last few days
Old 09-01-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

O,m.g. that's HILARIOUS. Where do you find this stuff Sao??!!
Old 09-01-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Hello Team,

Well i have the afternoon off, I was tempted to go to the river fishing and drink, but I've realized I find excuses everyday to drink, so I'm just not doing it until my brain some how moves on to other topics rather than why it's a good day to drink wine, I'm sure it'll get bored of the topic eventually.
I actually don't really want to drink even, its just a deeply ingrained habit.

Soooo I'll clean up the house, cook, hang around here, sleep.
Irishman gone now, but I'm thinking of going to visit Ireland over xmas break from school, I have other close friends there too, its just that Ireland is so cold in the winter and I usually go somewhere warm, but at least the company will be warm if I go.

Sorry to hear some of you have insomnia, me too.

Thanks for the link shabby!!!

Oh yeah, I like Emily the best, and I do agree that the two protagonists were totally selfish and awful- but I think Heathcliffe is a total sociopath/ psychopath and seeing as I study crime I kinda like him.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
There's an exceptional post on isolation in the Newcomers Forum today:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...trip-edge.html

I read it right after I saw Frank's post about being withdrawn.

Isolation (or withdrawal) are, I think, common amongst folks like us. In my own case, I think my propensity toward isolation was part of the problem. Or at least it made it easier for "my problem" to take hold.

In the post above, our fellow SRer Purple Knight describes days much like the one I'm having now. The only "conversation" I've had is with the people who served me at the Farmers Market and a coffee shop.

Some of us are rather alone, at least compared to those who have spouses and family around them. And lest others think I've got "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome, I recognize that those folks have their own set of challenges.

For me, one of the things I had to get used to in recovery was getting past my own distaste for counsel from others that struck me as cliche or shallow. In the early days, when I'd hear the veterans talk about gratitude, I recoiled some. It seemed all so Hallmark Cards.

When I got over myself and recognized that others had something to teach me, I started to get it.

Today, I haven't had much by way of human companionship. And while it's true that isn't always easy, I'm finding small reasons to be grateful. Our city's farmers market is exceptional and the bouquets are at their finest. (Side note: I had friends in town last week from the Boulder, Colo. area, who remarked that one of the nicest things about our farmers market is that it's affordable ... not the all gentrified, organicified pricey one there. Yay, my city!)

As I'm typing, my home is becoming infused with the most heavenly fragrance. Eucalyptus and a flower I desperately wish I could name.

I don't think it's cliche or simplistic to be grateful for a small grace such as this. I think it's the right thing to do.

I wish I could share the fragrance. I can share what it looks like. And for the next few days, I'll have this little corner of my home bursting with beauty ... looking as if Kate Middleton's wedding florist took over.

Finding the small things for which we're grateful helps considerably. It really does.

Venecia, I'll never catch up with all the posts here (such a busy place!) But I did want to respond to and thank you for this. Great link and great thoughts from you (as usual). Yes, in my current situation I am pretty isolated. But all of the folks here on SR helps mitigate that.

And I'll (finally) get back to you on the other the thing before long. Promise!
Old 09-01-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Happiness is a huge trigger for me. Go figure. Anyway, it's a major step for me to feel that way and not feel like I have to quell the emotion.
You're weird.

But congrats.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

How are you today Frank? Feeling any better? Even a little?!
Old 09-01-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrankLapidas View Post
You're weird.

But congrats.
Ha! I'm not the only weirdo!
Shabby- happiness is a trigger for me too
Old 09-01-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
How are you today Frank? Feeling any better? Even a little?!
Yes. Thanks in large part to the company you provided last night. Thank you, sweetie.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
Ha! I'm not the only weirdo!
Shabby- happiness is a trigger for me too
Lapidasland is full of weirdos, in a good way.

Jen, you flying south soon?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Yes, I saw Once were warriors, sad. Whats happened to indigenous peoples in many continents makes me angry. The native americans here are in a sad state, such high rate of alcoholism and abuse. Disgusting treatment by european occupiers
Old 09-01-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

I might be wrong here....but are you getting the members of your harem mixed up, Frank? Heh heh :-)
Old 09-01-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree with you more, Sadie. It makes me angry too. Why do we never hear about the plight of the native Americans? It's like some dirty secret - disgusting. Australia is just as bad.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrankLapidas View Post
Lapidasland is full of weirdos, in a good way.

Jen, you flying south soon?
I'm supposed to go on sat, but there's a couple reasons I may reschedule.
1. I'll miss the first week of school
2. I'll shave to spend literally all the money I have on the trip ( I always do this and its getting a bit old)
3. I can be really busy at work if I don't go and make some good money.

But I really want to go too.

I haven't decided what to do yet
Old 09-01-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Hey Frank
Glad to see you checked in, yeah I know what you mean by the moods and them having their way. Hang in there, I'd add keep your hands in feet in the car at all times, but most rollercoasters these days look like they grab you by the armpits and sling you around. Kinda like those moods, ride em out just don't let them shake you .
dwtbd, this reminds me of my last trip to Disneyland (where I turn into a goofy ten year old boy). I decided to try the rollercoaster. The girl I was with did not want to do that all, but I sort of bullied her into it. During the ride the poor girl was screaming her (delightfully petite and perky) lungs out. I, of course, was cool as a cucumber.

At the end they offer to sell you a pic of you on the rollercoaster. I bought it. Then I looked at it. The girl was smiling in the pic. As for me, I had the most horrified (!!) look anyone can imagine, sheer unadulterated terror.

Oh well.