Class of March 2015 Part 6

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-5-a-20.html

D
Old 08-03-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Thank you Dee.

Secretary, you echo exactly my thoughts. It is only since I quit drinking that I began discovering who my true self actually is and the false starts were because I was unpleasantly surprised about what was emerging. Learning acceptance was a major hurdle but unless I accept who I truly am I have no chance of changing whatsoever-I'll just blank it out. Would our fellow marchers agree with that?

Counselling sounds like an extremely good idea, for yourself first. You may find over time that when your relationship with yourself improves (and you like yourself better) that the dynamic of your marriage changes. Whether or not you stay together, loving yourself must come first, someone wiser than me said it first : you can't give away what you do not have.

for you my friend, and to anyone who needs one.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Thanks for the thoughts Mystified. And good work Secretary!
Old 08-04-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mystified View Post
Thank you Dee.

Secretary, you echo exactly my thoughts. It is only since I quit drinking that I began discovering who my true self actually is and the false starts were because I was unpleasantly surprised about what was emerging. Learning acceptance was a major hurdle but unless I accept who I truly am I have no chance of changing whatsoever-I'll just blank it out. Would our fellow marchers agree with that?

Counselling sounds like an extremely good idea, for yourself first. You may find over time that when your relationship with yourself improves (and you like yourself better) that the dynamic of your marriage changes. Whether or not you stay together, loving yourself must come first, someone wiser than me said it first : you can't give away what you do not have.

for you my friend, and to anyone who needs one.

So true! Thank you.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

So, does anyone here have any idea why I wouldn't receive notice of PM'S via the Android app? I logged on online and found out that I had messages from months and months ago.

Also, I've noticed that the Marching Band has gotten considerably smaller. I am wondering what other places on SR do my fellow Marchers frequent. Where can I go to be of some assistance, meet some people, or maybe just hang out with some other sober folks?

Thanks guys, and no matter what, I'll keep coming back here until nobody else does. I owe a large part of my sobriety to this class and I'm not giving up that easily.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
love is the answer

I don't use the app spirit, but if you see an option to view new posts you'll find many people needing your kind of help. You'll also see which threads are active.

I post daily on the 24 hour recovery connections thread and hang out there a lot. And there's a couple of threads I sub to and read more than post.

There is wisdom, joy and hope everywhere if you go looking for it.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpiritOfDjinn View Post
So, does anyone here have any idea why I wouldn't receive notice of PM'S via the Android app? I logged on online and found out that I had messages from months and months ago. Also, I've noticed that the Marching Band has gotten considerably smaller. I am wondering what other places on SR do my fellow Marchers frequent. Where can I go to be of some assistance, meet some people, or maybe just hang out with some other sober folks? Thanks guys, and no matter what, I'll keep coming back here until nobody else does. I owe a large part of my sobriety to this class and I'm not giving up that easily.
Let us know where you go!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Hi Djinn - I appreciate your support and contributions and hope you stay! I stopped posting here for a while as I was burning my online time jumpstarting a hobby. Having done that, I came back to check in with the Marchers list and was very glad to see that we were still going strong. I believe this list is an invaluable resource--not just for a week or two, but for long-term recovery work--and I am grateful for the way we all band together to make it a success.

Mel
Old 08-05-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

I don't use the app spirit, but if you see an option to view new posts you'll find many people needing your kind of help. You'll also see which threads are active.

I post daily on the 24 hour recovery connections thread and hang out there a lot. And there's a couple of threads I sub to and read more than post.

There is wisdom, joy and hope everywhere if you go looking for it.
Thank you mystified. I'll be sure to go check out the 24hr threads. Perhaps just browse around a bit and see what's going on here at SR. Can't hurt to make some more friends here. This is THE place to be for support in my opinion anyway.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by secretary View Post

Let us know where you go!
Will do secretary. Will do. Like I said, the March 2015 class is what I call home here on SR.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
Hi Djinn - I appreciate your support and contributions and hope you stay! I stopped posting here for a while as I was burning my online time jumpstarting a hobby. Having done that, I came back to check in with the Marchers list and was very glad to see that we were still going strong. I believe this list is an invaluable resource--not just for a week or two, but for long-term recovery work--and I am grateful for the way we all band together to make it a success.

Mel
Oh I'm not leaving the March class by any means. Just looking to meet some new people. Maybe pass on some wisdom and support just like I've found here. And you are absolutely right. This class is most definitely an invaluable resource for those who need it.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpiritOfDjinn View Post
Oh I'm not leaving the March class by any means. Just looking to meet some new people. Maybe pass on some wisdom and support just like I've found here. And you are absolutely right. This class is most definitely an invaluable resource for those who need it.
Spirit, see how you have become to important to us! Glad you call this home! If you find any other threads that you like, let us know. I don't go on that often and I only check in here.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Hello friends, I'm feeling a bit raw today and could do with some virtual hugs.

I think I mentioned that I had recently started doing voluntary work in the finance department my local womens refuge?

It's been harrowing today- no other word for it.

I guess less emotionally sensitive people wouldn't bat an eyelid at sorting through abused womens mail and trying to find safe forwarding addresses for it, but I crumbled today when I couldn't find a safe forwarding address for a child's immunisation appointment letter.

Maybe I'm too sensitive?

Anyway after having a little cry and reframing my thinking I realise that I might have saved someone a beating. By NOT forwarding their mail.

I am so ******* lucky that I live in an environment where I don't have to concern myself about potentially getting a good hiding because of a damn letter. And my kids are safe and immunised. And I have never had to 'Sofa surf'. I've never had 'no fixed address' nor am I currently in a place where I ever have to fear for my safety or the safety of my children.

Thank you God.

Just want to share with someone.

Love to all.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by secretary View Post

Spirit, see how you have become to important to us! Glad you call this home! If you find any other threads that you like, let us know. I don't go on that often and I only check in here.
I usually tend to do the same and only check in here. I'd like to change that though and branch out a bit. And this class is very important to me as well, no question there.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

I think I mentioned that I had recently started doing voluntary work in the finance department my local womens refuge?

I guess less emotionally sensitive people wouldn't bat an eyelid at sorting through abused womens mail and trying to find safe forwarding addresses for it, but I crumbled today when I couldn't find a safe forwarding address for a child's immunisation appointment letter.

Maybe I'm too sensitive?

Anyway after having a little cry and reframing my thinking I realise that I might have saved someone a beating. By NOT forwarding their mail.

I am so ******* lucky that I live in an environment where I don't have to concern myself about potentially getting a good hiding because of a damn letter. And my kids are safe and immunised. And I have never had to 'Sofa surf'. I've never had 'no fixed address' nor am I currently in a place where I ever have to fear for my safety or the safety of my children.

Thank you God.

Love to all.
Oh wow mystified. That's sad. I can fully understand why that would mess with your head and pull your heart strings.

I often have reactions like that to things other would consider "small." Matter of fact, my wife likes to poke fun at me for it and call me a sap.

I can tell you, also, that I've read articles describing how filmmakers and writers will use children to evoke fear, sadness, horror, etc simply because humans are hard wired to have a more dramatic reaction when a child is in danger. This reaction is of course intensified is the individual has children of their own. It can be furthermore intensified in times of high stress. So, all that being said, it's very understandable that you'd have that reaction. Don't fault yourself.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Maybe I'm too sensitive?

Thank you God.

Love to all.
How wonderful that you are out there helping other people Mystified. It must be terribly hard to see how some people have to live and so vulnerable to abuse. You are a strong person even though you think are you weak, you are not. Just feeling their pain.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Thank you friends.

After having a good talk to my other half last night and a really deep sleep I feel much better today. Part of recovery is learning to feel feelings and not chase them away with a substance right? I think I can check that box. (Unless you count chocolate as a 'substance' but it was only a bit!)

I'm still learning new things about myself every day but I try to approach that with interest and loving kindness rather than fear. I think that is the biggest change I've noticed in recovery, and the greatest challenge too. Finding peace is my goal and working through these feelings rather than escaping from them is part of the plan.

Spirit, be a 'sap' and be proud. The world needs more thinking, feeling men like you.

Secretary, yes, I tend towards empathy (I guess one of the reasons I started drinking in the first place) and I get 'vibes' from everyone I meet. Sometimes strong, sometimes weak but it's always there. It's both a blessing and a curse. It's why I'm relieved to be working in admin rather than in the refuge. If I reacted like that over letters, I'd be useless in the refuge. And I'd get emotionally involved-I wouldn't know how NOT to. Thats not healthy for them or for me.

Love you all
Old 08-07-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better today Mystified.
You're doing a great service for others

have a wonderful sober weekend gang

D
Old 08-09-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Hey marchers how is everyone doing?