Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 5

Old 08-03-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

letitgo, I'm using the tools I learned reading Rational Recovery (twice) and after a month sabbatical I'm returning to my usual activities this week.

Tonight will be my first exposure to league bowling and then again tomorrow. I've bowled before without drinking so don't think it will be much of a problem.

My bigger test will be when I resume my solo RV travels, this was always a time when I would drink, so I'll make sure to post here and stay connected when I start traveling again. My next major trip will be to MA/ME/NY in September.

Thanks for asking!

Hoping to see a continuation of the success most of us had in the July class, stay diligent. Personally I know one month is good, but the next couple months will be crucial. Glad to see the people who had bumps in the road (to recovery) have re-engaged in the August 2015 thread.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

So the afternoon has come around and I've still not drank. This morning my AV was starting to do its usual 'nearly lunch time, nip the shop for a few cans' thing, but I tried to keep myself busy and stop it going any further. So far, so good - and I don't plan on letting that change!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

So tomorrow I go back to work and that means I've made it through my vacation almost 2 weeks without drinking. The last few days were hard but I made it, can't remember the last time I didn't drink on vacation.

Work will have its own challenges but I feel good I've stuck to my goal and am going back actually more rested and clear headed.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-03-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Hi all just checking in

Whiteturtle I'm glad you are ok...I have a drinking injury to my leg which resulted in me having to have reconstructive surgery. This was a few years ago and my leg is ok but I have to be very careful on it. Hopefully your injury won't be as bad. I hit my rock bottom 5 weeks ago and haven't touched a drop since so hopefully this is your wake up call too..

BBB I'm in the UK too and I would like to find out more about this SMART recovery where do I start?? google?

I am 5 weeks today since my last drop of wine and I am finding that dealing with my emotions when sober at times quite difficult. I have separated from my husband (2 years ago) which is when I think I ramped up the wine consumption. I have heard that he has recently attended residential rehab and now in AA and found a new gf which really hits me hard. I had hoped that we might have been able to sort things out.

I have just come back from a cricket match with my children and just seeing another couple brought tears to my eyes. I really think I should be so over him by now but maybe I just drowned all those feelings. Recovery really does have its ups and downs....
Old 08-03-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Day 8 and counting. Feeling pretty good too.

I also have had nightmares, particularly last night that I've nearly already blocked because I remember something about a chainsaw and people screaming. Got up to use the bathroom and tried to block it - must've done pretty good because I barely remember now and not going to think to hard to remember.

My son started middle school today and was really excited. I hope he continues to be excited. I know middle school can be tough, it was for me anyway. I think it might be harder for girls anyway.

Going to a women's meeting tonight but I feel kind of guilty though because I get home 5:45 and will have to turn around and leave again and won't see my son till after 7

But on another note, Saturday night I was reading the big book from AA and my son asked what I was reading. I told him. He said so is that for smoking or drinking or both? I said drinking but could also probably help with cigarettes. He said "yay".
Old 08-03-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

I've had lots of energy today. I've walked the dog, cut the front and back lawn, done washing, cleaned a carpet, cleared out the garage, made lunch, been to the recycling centre, been to the park and had a diet coke at the cafe, walked the dog again, picked up daughter from running and made tea. I'm pooped now but feeling good .
Old 08-03-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bluebird2007 View Post
Hi everyone I've had lots of energy today. I've walked the dog, cut the front and back lawn, done washing, cleaned a carpet, cleared out the garage, made lunch, been to the recycling centre, been to the park and had a diet coke at the cafe, walked the dog again, picked up daughter from running and made tea. I'm pooped now but feeling good .
That's a lot BB! Good for you! I found that I did things over the weekend that normally wouldn't have gotten done. I'm changing the "normally" to include those things I did this weekend!
Old 08-03-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Sounds like you're doing well bluebird. An idle mind.... and all that I've also been keeping myself super busy even though I'm off work. It helps alot.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Heading back out into my world this afternoon/evening, expecting nothing but a solid performance rejecting my AV and all his methods, stay the course everyone! Knowing everyone here is watching is even extra motivation...thanks!

I'll bore you with my bowling scores later...
Old 08-03-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Today was my first day of a 3 day professional development course for work and I am so glad that I was sober for it. I really didn't get a lot out of it but I didn't have the stress that I usually have when I start getting back into a work routine. I can thank sobriety for that. This time last year I was drinking to fall asleep because my anxiety was so terrible and waking up feeling terrible. I honestly can say that I was engaged in conversation with my co-workers and listening to them, instead of just wanting them to leave me alone and go away. Some of these people are also very difficult to get along with, so I will take the progress that I am making.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Everyone is doing so well!

Jillian - your son saying "yay" had me say out loud "Ohhhhh...what a sweetie." Isn't that fantastic?!

Martina, I am picking from here on in those feelings will begin to fade. I know how painful they are. I'm a bit of an old hippie in the sense that I believe that if things are meant to be, they will happen, and vice versa. Who knows what special person may come into your life? 5 weeks is terrific and good luck with the SMART programme :-)

Stay strong everyone in your respective tempting situations. I have a couple coming up too and am going to try and view them as an opportunity to reinforce the idea that life is far more enjoyable without being drunk.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Today is day 20 alcohol free. I haven't been nearly as good as you guys at keeping busy in the off hours, but did take gf and friend to the beach yesterday. Ocean water in most of California is uncomfortably cold due to ocean currents, but it was so hot on the beach I got my first honest swim in on the west coast, decent waves, body surfing

When I'm hardcore drinking, my *hangovers* could be so bad I'd be too anxious, or feel too spaced out, to drive across the city. Sober me would rather be the driver. Maybe it's ironically a good thing that public transit is pretty poor here!

Hope August gives us all added strength and conviction to keep at this.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Checking in

I have been all over the forums each night but have forgotten to check in with my class. I have a lot of catching up to do- I hope everyone is well.

I'm on day 15 and feeling alright. I see a challenge up the road I want to not keep to myself:
One of my co-workers at the bike shop where I work just started a part time job at a local craft brewery. He has already promised to bring in lots of beer which he will inevitably score through this job. It's not uncommon for our mini fridge to be loaded with beer, we have even traded services for beer with other customers who work at one of the two local breweries. One of my longest sober streaks ended when a customer tipped me with a 6 pack of my favorite beer.
I don't feel entitled to ask my co-workers not to allow beer in the shop, it's kind of integral to bike shop culture. I know it's gonna weigh heavy on me though, so I'm working on preparing myself to deal with it.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Well, it's been a nice productive couple of days. I had a little trouble sleeping last night so I woke up a bit groggy but 100 times better than being hungover. I came home from work and now I want to do a little walking exercise and take a swim in the pool. The new furniture and television has been a nice change for me and I have been enjoying the novelty of it all. I did come across a few cravings yesterday since all the furniture work was all done and everything was spotless and organized in my room. The craving went away after ten minutes so I continued my life clear headed and focused. I'm at day 11 so I have a lot of days ahead of me to remain sober. It will have it's moments but I feel like I've been off to a great start.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Hey white turtle how are you doing today?

UpwardSpiral, looks like you'll have to get tough at work. Figure out what you'll say when someone cracks open the beer. Health reasons, you quit, just no thanks, whatever it is in your voice so you can practice it and have your words ready!

Way to go Bluebird, AngD, and to all of the successes posted today!

I'm just having a quiet night in, glad to be sober....
Old 08-03-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Check in day 30. Amazes me it's been that long because it did not seem the bad. Fear of change is what scared me. But have done it before. It's all about day 1. Getting the ignition going or start rolling the snow ball. Congrats everyone!!

Really craving a cigarette today. Ice cold water did the trick. Refreshing and thirst quenching. We have wine in the house I just have no craving other then the other day with the ice cold beer. Hoping to get some sleep tonight. Been a rough few nights with the kido being sick but he is getting better.
Falling in love with the love story book. Almost half way through. Its a really good perspective.

Have a nice evening or morning!
Old 08-03-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Back from a sober Happy Hour and a sober night bowling...we took all 7 points and I shot a 238/216/185 for a 639 series...my average in this league is 205...not too bad after missing the last 3 weeks working on my sobriety!

Hope everyone here is holding up well, good night or good morning depending on your geographical position!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by toadie54 View Post
Back from a sober Happy Hour and a sober night bowling...we took all 7 points and I shot a 238/216/185 for a 639 series...my average in this league is 205...not too bad after missing the last 3 weeks working on my sobriety!

Hope everyone here is holding up well, good night or good morning depending on your geographical position!
Wow you are a really good bowler Toadie!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Glad to hear things are going well for you guys! I feel ridiculous always saying how I had to start again, but I did. At the tail end of day 4 now and feeling good--definitely losimg the first bit of that damn bloat and sleeping well. I think a lot of my repeated slip-ups had to do with a few friends who I'd drank with for so long, including my fiancé, being skeptical at my (often rather meek) exclaims that I really was quitting, but I think I've started to really show them I mean it and everyone has been supportive. Felt proud of myself this afternoon when I stopped at the supermarket after work to pick up some dinner and walked past the wine and cheese section. Had a HUGE sudden urge for a nice tall glass of red...Normally I'd have snapped up a nice cheese and bottle or two and been done with it, but I just took a deep breath, walked to the other side of the store for a while, and ended up leaving with some salmon and veggies instead. And I actually got some work done at home because I was sober, who'd have thought!? I think getting through these first few hurdles will give me confidence. I've put the SR app on my iPad and it's nice to be able to check in throughout the day with you fine folks good night from Florida and see you tomorrow!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Finishing up sober day 31. Congrats to everyone getting over the hump of another day. In the past for me it was always 6 days and I seemed to have fewer cravings and it seemed easier. But then I'd fall right back in when something happened...hell, even something good.

I am working on driving it in my head the alcohol does not help me when I'm sad (it is a downer and makes brings me lower), does not help me celebrate (I forget the details, the sweetness, of the celebration), does not make me more social (I'm dumber, can't tell or get a joke), relax after a hard day's work (I get a headache later and can't sleep) or help me through a difficult situation (it clouds my thinking).

I didn't really think about these things before.

Have a good sober night...and early morning all!