Class of April 2015 Part 7

Old 07-30-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes Cauliflower

D
Old 07-30-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Cauliflower!! Let us know how you're doing when you can and have time.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Have been feeling good until this afternoon. Had an extreme desire for a drink but I was at work so I was in no danger of drinking. The urge was very, very brief because when the desire hits then I just start to run through all the reasons why I don't drink anymore. and I go over how I will fill afterwards if I take a drink. I made a list about how much better things are for me and it irritates me so when I have the intense desire to drink. I don't have any urges now but I had to have a cry in the car all by myself when I pulled into home. It was a quick cry but I felt better after it was over. It was just a cry of feeling lonely and maybe a little because I had the urge to drink and I don't like those urges. Right after work, I stopped by a restaurant and ate there just so I could be around people. It's a place that I go to once or twice a month and they are very nice to me there. My son is with his dad tonight and I'm missing him terribly. I'm also missing my mom is is back home in Georgia. Wish I could hug her. Sorry to be down tonight. My kitty is here and he's almost as happy to see me as I am to see him. I didn't want to upset him so I got my cry out in the car. I'm so grateful for all of you wonderful people. Thank you for being here.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Angie, sorry your feeling this way. I was alone a lot when we first moved a few years ago. I would go into target and order a soda just to interact with someone. I understand about wanting to be around people. I'm glad you have your kitty Elvis. Animals can be very comforting. Hope tomorrow is a little easier for you.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Cauliflower, I hope the surgery went well and you are recovering nicely. A few of my coworkers had lasik done and they LOVE the results.

100 Days for me today! Yay!

Angie, thanks for sharing your craving. It sounds like loneliness may have triggered it. Good for you for playing the tape through and recognizing it as a craving. I'm sorry that you're feeling lonely and a bit down tonight - I'm sure you will feel better in the morning. Just remember that not feeling happy all the time is a part of being human and the feeling will pass (along with those cravings - I get frustrated too when they come on strongly). I'm glad you have your kitty to keep you company
Old 07-30-2015, 09:36 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((Angie)))

Hope the night got better for you

D
Old 07-30-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Good morning all, Congratulations SwimKim, now - catch up laggers.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:54 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Morning all! Well done Swimkim on those 100 days. Something special about hitting triple figures!

Angie, I think you've done really well. Loneliness is a huge trigger but, as you say, you have your strategies in place and, while it's not a lot of fun, you are able to get through these situations relatively easily. Something that could have been a long, drawn out crisis just a few weeks ago has been dealt with quickly and effectively. Well done to you and to all of us here still battling onwards and upwards!

Have a happy Friday!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Well it went well yesterday. Last night my eyes hurt so bad, stinging, watery, itchy, but I survived. Today was my follow up and its ok, I have alot of bruising and swelling still. I have to take it easy, and rest my eyes and put drops in every couple hours. I go again next week for a check up. I can see perfectly without glasses now!! Amazing!

SwimKim, congratulations on 100! That is so fantastic!!!

Angie, I hope you are doing better today. When I get lonely, I make a big bowl of popcorn and watch a movie. It seems to help me.

My son is coming again for the weekend with his girlfriend and of course, my grand baby! I just love that little girl with all my heart. We are in for a busy weekend. We are going to a birthday party tomorrow, and were invited to cocktail hour at one of our neighbors. I wanted to decline, but we really can't. At least it will be in and out, say hi and all, then leave. The birthday party will be ok too, no heavy drinkers with that group. We won't be staying late because of our company at home and my blood shot dry eyes.

Resting now and drinking Chocolaty Chai tea, a new find and it's so yummy.

Take care everyone!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great weekend everyone

D
Old 07-31-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone. I'm doing a lot better tonight. One good thing is that my son and I now have our tickets to go visit family in December. I'm very excited to spend the holidays with them. It's gonna be great!

Cauliflower, so glad to hear you're doing well!! Enjoy your family and have a great weekend.

Congratulations on 100 days, SwimKim!!! That's so awesome!!

Lily, thank you so much. I used to do that at the place I used to live, get drink or a candy bar from the am/pm so I could talk to someone. I'm so grateful for my Elvis.

Thank you amp, every time I get that craving I just go over all the why it won't and can't happen. It has worked for 95 days now. The cravings only last a short while but the aftermath if I do drink will be a hundred plus times longer. Not to mention the regret that I will have for weeks if not months. I try to always remember that.

Thank you so much Dee. It got better, I watched a movie (The Guest) and went to sleep. I slept great and had a good day at work.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I'm just planning on straightening up the house, washing clothes and enjoying the weekend with my son. Thank you all so much. I don't know what I would do without this wonderful group.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

I'm diggin' the positive vibes in our group tonight

Cauliflower, I am glad the surgery went well! Take it easy the next few days and don't push yourself too hard. I'm glad that you get to spend some time with your grandbaby

Angie, I'm glad you are feeling better! Way to "sit with the feelings" and let them pass. A previous therapist of mine used to suggest that - sitting with the feelings rather than trying to escape (by drinking, using, etc). You've come out stronger on the other end!

I echo what Angie said - I am so grateful for this group. Here's to another sober weekend!
Old 08-01-2015, 12:44 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Glad you're feeling better, Angie. What would life be without a few ups and downs anyway? More simple for sure but this way is more human!!!

Cauliflower! Glad it's all gone well. So exciting to not need glasses at all! Sounds great! Sure you'll be over the convalescence in no time and will just be left with the positives!

Enjoy a wonderful Saturday my friends!
Old 08-01-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Way to go on the Hundo SwimKim!!
Awesome job.

I've been reading up on Gaba lately. Alcohol abuse causes gaba receptors to basically quit working. GABA is what allows us to be relaxed. Without it, anxiety or fight/flight is free to go crazy without anything to keep it at bay.

Alcohol enters the brain and effects the GABA receptors in the same way natural GABA does. When the brain is flooded with "GABA" from alcohol, it stops producing it on its own.

When we initially quit, and anxiety is through the roof, that's due to the lack of GABA in the brain since the body stopped producing it.

Heavy drinking takes a real toll on GABA receptors. Beats them up pretty bad and ******* their function. It takes 1-2yrs for the receptors to completely heal. Which explains why although I feel 1000% better now then when I was drinking, I am not 100% "normal" either.

So the way I see it, I'm already 1/3 into a year. The time has gone by fast. And I do continue to improve. I'm gonna keep this train rollin.

None for me today.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

That seems to make sense Inc... Wonder if there's any way to speed up gaba recovery?
Old 08-01-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Hi everyone hope you're all enjoying your Saturday!
Old 08-01-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Hi all. Hope everyone is having a great weekend. It is kind of a lazy day for me and I'm enjoying it.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Saturday night here. Just made a barbecue for friends. Everyone getting stuck into the second bottle of white. I'm fine with it though. Just taking a quick time out.

Hope you're all having a good weekend
Old 08-02-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Good morning ya'll.

None for me today.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Hi, All. Hope your weekends are going well! Amp, I was in the same boat as you last night. Had dinner with some friends and they drank (and smoked) the whole time but I was content not drinking. They have a seltzer water maker (I had never seen one before!) so they made me lots of seltzer water. It was refreshing. I ate a lot yesterday so I'm gonna get out for a run soon. Enjoy your day!