Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 17

Old 07-30-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Briar, I hope they can contain the fires. That is very close.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

yes, great shots there phoebe,

I really enjoy the various 'moods' that beaches exhibit. I quite enjoy the rugged areas of Big Sur and also Maine, but never get in that water....those are just for looking. Hawaii may be my choice for snorkeling and beauty, but we have to wear those little shoe things because it can be rough on you feet were certainly can't afford to go there every year. Luckily the Florida panhandle is hard to beat and not a bad drive. All good, but almost getting too popular. Trying to figure out next year's trip. I always start planning as soon as the last travels are done because I like the anticipation. Just my thing I guess.

And phoebe, I know what you meant about feeling out of place sometimes. One place we went to eat in NYC was the Plaza hotel...so many movies done there. Anyway, walking through the lobby I felt as though at any moment someone would look up and say...You can't be here, only for us rich folks!

Great to see you Leigh!
Old 07-30-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Okay well my mom is officially evacuated. She and her dogs are safe at a friend's house, and she's got all the important stuff she wants. Now we just wait and see.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that, Briar. Glad she is safe, but I hope her house is spared.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Oh wow, is there much an individual homeowner can do Briar? Or just leave it to the pros?
Old 07-30-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Mark - a homeowner can get insured and get out of the way. That's about it.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Wow Briar. That is some scary stuff. We have the snow, you guys have the fires. Complete opposite side of the spectrum. Call in the smoke jumpers! I remember in college learning about the "smoke jumper" career in that it was awfully hard to get. Kind of like a Navy Seal ordeal.

Stay safe!
Old 07-30-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope they contain the fire Briar.

Great pics Phoebe - thank you

Hope everyone is doing ok
D
Old 07-30-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Glad that your mum and the dogs are safe Briar.
Praying that the house is saved.

And yes, gorgeous pictures phoebe; thank you for sharing those.

Love to all of you. ♥
Old 07-31-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Hey gang ,

Enjoying the beauty of a gorgeous moonlit early morning. The full moon is particularly bright because we have a rare but brief dip in humidity so the normal haziness is gone.....that's usually a gift of autumn. Still hot, but now at least the shade is pleasant.

I'm looking forward to this day, problems and all. That's a bit 'random' as my kids would say, but true none the less. Maybe a glimpse of things to come. To live life without a gnawing sense of dread. I dunno, but I'll just go with it for what it is and forego the 'analysis paralysis' that generally dominates my personal life.

Feeling like a run this morning.

Wishing all the team the best day.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Nice Mark. Staring at the full moon here as well. It's lovely.

Not sharing your good mood though. A tough few days ahead walking in bad weather, and I have a cold, so I'm grumpy, Plus I have car issues that are really expensive to fix. As I said, grumpy.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

My ride is in the shop too. Dropped it off last night at the service place and just waiting to see what it's gonna cost me. Sorry about the weather V.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Busy, rushed morning here. Just wanted to say I'm thinking of yall!
Old 07-31-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Morning guys.

So far so good, looks like the fire hasn't reached the valley where my mom lives. I feel pretty good about the situation right now. It's a big one, 20 square miles already and only 5% contained, but the wind is still in our favor. Somehow they've managed to rustle up about 1000 firefighters to work on it. Those guys are amazing, I have a lot of faith in them.

Anyway, all is good otherwise. I need a solidly productive day at work. My wonderful assistant and I get along famously, which is awesome except that she's always in my cubicle chatting me up. It's a pleasant distraction, but it starts to add up. I think today I'll find her a project that requires a lot of phone calls so she can put her mouth to use elsewhere.

Yesterday I received from my therapist the expected ration of warnings about slacking off on my recovery program. I haven't been going to meetings because the last few times I really didn't like the people who showed up. I feel confident that I'm not going to drink, but I pay him to tell me what to do and should probably listen. I'm thinking about what I can do to step up my game.

Tomorrow is my daughter's first swimming lesson. She's super excited. I sprung for individual lessons instead of groups because someone I know teaches them, and my daughter will get one on one attention (and I won't have to get in the water with her. Worth every penny ).

Have a great day!
Old 07-31-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Glad the fires are holding off of the valley where your mother's home is located, Briar.

We are now into the more serious dog adoption plans, now that our vacations are finished for summer. There are 2 strong options, younger than originally planned. But both are described as sweet and shy, and medium sized, and look adorable. Going to hopefully meet both today and tomorrow, and any others that may be a good fit.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

How exciting, Phoebe! Having a pet is a great experience. How is your son doing with the idea?
Old 07-31-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

He runs hot and cold. He will look and choose dogs he thinks he likes and discuss names, but says he does not want one because he does not want to do work! He is one lazy boy. Good thing he is so handsome! He is not a natural animal lover, similar to dh, but dd and I have gone without for so long. I will not force him to do animal chores if he is not fully into this adventure. But we are bringing him along to meet and greets, to be sure he will be comfortable with the dog we find, or who finds us.

We raced off to meet one today and she was adopted earlier this very day. She was adorable. There is a cutie at a meet and greet tomorrow we have watched on the shelter website where daughter works. She has only worked a few times, so far, and this one was out in a foster home, but is going to be there tomorrow. A small yellow dog, maybe a beagle/lab mix. I forget, but the sweetest face! About a year old. There is another dog or two we can meet there too, that fits our wish list.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Is your mom still safe from the fires, Briar?

How are you tonight, Arbor?

V, yu are likely off to bed, but I hope you are feeling better.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Glad your mum's house is safe so far Briar.
The swimming lessons for A sound wonderful.
That's the age I learned to swim, and I loved it.

Yes, it's important to keep up with our recovery work.
I know it is for me. Especially when I don't feel like it.
Like now. Sick and grumpy.

Very exciting about the dog phoebe!
I wonder which one will adopt you?
Never seen a lab/beagle cross.

Good morning to all of you. ♥
Old 07-31-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Private swimming lessons worked best for my flock Briar. Glad your moms's home is out of harm's way at the moment.

Good luck with the doggy search phoebe. Hope y'all find a good fit.

Good morning V, hope today brings improvement in your cold.

Shortly after posting this morning I spoke with my brother and was invited down to see him and enjoy some fresh-from-the-gulf shrimp. His wife and son are out of town. Anyway, I don't see him that often and happily made the hour's drive to his home. As expected he asked me to join him with a beer while we prepared the shrimp etc.. A guy cousin of ours popped in too along with his supply of alcohol. I'm posting all of this because I generally am pretty insulated from situations like this. Family gatherings virtually never involve alcohol and there's none in my house since October. But when it was just me and my brother......it was on! I had a pretty decent time I guess, but did feel a little like odd man out. Not so much because I wanted to drink, but let's just say things weren't as funny to me as it was to them etc..

I remember Arbor posting a while back about similar feelings at his family's pool party. So my hat is off to y'all that face this more often than me. I decided to head on back home and made the remark that I hadn't had anything to drink since last fall. My cousin made the joke that I just wasn't enjoying life then. We all laughed as I was getting into my ride. None of this is a big deal and I know I'm not really missing out and all that. But it is an adjustment and I haven't been made to face it as often as some and I've felt a bit somber since leaving there. So I guess I learned a little bit more about what others of you face more often than me.

Hope the weekend brings good things for the team!

Edit to add that I went through a road block en route. Not a problem.