Notices

Class Of June 2015 Pt4

Old 07-07-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

You'll get the good Karma double for that, Tex. Hang in there.

I got the new job! One interview, one big offer. Good things happen when you don't drink. It feels great. It pays off. It's not always easy, but it's worth it!

Thanks everybody for the support through the hard times. I won't rest on this minor achievement. I've got the big Mo- momentum.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on the job, YuriO! I'm sure there are many more blessings waiting for you in recovery.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Congrats on the job, YuriO! I'm sure there are many more blessings waiting for you in recovery.
Wouldn't you know it. My alcoholic voice has been bargaining with me for a 12 pack all evening. I made it home safe. I made it here. I've got a long journey left. I should go for a jog. Damn. Close call.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Coming to the end of day 36. I finally got back to the gym today and I'm hoping it's on a placebo effect, but I forgot how amazing and integral it was to my daily routine. Today also was an amazing day weather wise. It did bring up a couple minor cravings. The first was a discussion at work about a new restaurant that is only serving local beers and local farmed foods. Both sounded really good, but from a pure taste standpoint. I did enjoy microbrews. It passed relatively easy, The second was when I was sitting on my porch enjoying the sun and reading. One of my neighbors was smoking some marijuana and it really smelled good. Again, not in a I NEED to smoke that sort of way. I processed both urges as well and just reminded myself that both lead to a very different place. A place I never want to return.

Other than that, life is good. I'm still searching for a deeper meaning beyond accepting I'm an addict, but I think that will come with time. Hope everyone is doing well. It's a bit radio silent today.

PS. Congrats Yuri!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Congrats on the job Yuri!

Day 34.
Thankful for another day sober. I hope everyone is doing well
Old 07-07-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats from me too Yuri - on the new job and beating those crazy thoughts

D
Old 07-07-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Thanks all. D.

No more hitting snooze for the hangover, showing up late and bleary, or calling off work entirely.

I can deal with insomnia. It leaves me fresher than the booze does.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Hi all, sorry about the bad news concerning your mum emme, I admire your strength in holding onto sobriety under the stress you must be under.

Congratulations on the new job Yuri! And well done on not drinking to celebrate.

Day 17 here, a rainy day but I feel ok. Had a really busy day yesterday and I overdid it a bit and strained a muscle in my back, feel my energy levels returning makes me want to make up for the 'lost' 7week binge, but I need to try and not do too much too soon. Lesson learnt.

Managed to get to a meeting Monday and met up with sponsor afterwards for a coffee, and went to one last night which was beneficial to me.

Can relate about wanting a reward for being good and sober, and can feel down when I get illnesses or injuries. The way I see it though is that I either was too numbed out to even notice the pain or any illness would have been associated with the hangover!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Sorry about your back, 1stepup. Working out can really make you feel good about recovery. Not drinking, I'm sure you'll heal faster. Great job on day 17 and all of your progress so far.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Congratulations on the job Yuri

Noolan, I have found that my senses in sobriety are a wonderfully delicate and enjoyable thing. I enjoyed reading your post, your point about leading to a very different place is a good reminder about temptation!

Start of Day 27 and I think my body is going through changes. I'm pretty sure that this is the longest period of time I have been without a drink in about 23 years.

I don't know if I have become mildly diabetic over the years but I have noticed a very slight feeling of nausea, a bit like vertigo over the last few days. It's nothing major but just a very slight feeling. It's not a bad feeling, in fact almost an elevated feeling, hard to explain but like there is something different, maybe my body and brain is adapting to a lot less sugar.

With that thought yesterday, I went out and bought a massive slab of chocolate yesterday for a sugar urge which amazingly I didn't sit down and cane by myself, like I probably would normally - I actually shared it with my other half! Read - drinking makes me selfish.

Massive congrats to all on here for clocking up the number of days, it has certainly helped with my drive towards being a better person for not drinking. Thank you all!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Hello Class,

Emme, I was sorry too to hear of your Mom's diagnosis. I'm sending warm thoughts your way. It sounds as if you a resolved to staying sober for everyone affected especially yourself and I admire that.

Yuri. Great news and deserved by the sound of it.

Apologies for my radio silence on my part, but it has been full on again. I'm posting this at 2.30am during another night shift. At last I am close to being on top of my projects - I honestly cant remember when that was last the case.

It's good. I accept that opportunities for meaningful work are limited during the day, so I use the time to engage more with my kids - and let my mind process stuff in the background.

When I was drinking I would battle to work during the day, headphones on, getting irritated by the noise that came from the other rooms in the house. Then I would hit the wine as earlier as possible to take the edge of the day and you can guess the rest.

What I am doing right now is unsustainable, but it suits me for now. I think it is also important for me to demonstrate to myself what can be achieved with a bit of focus and self belief - accompanied by a bunch of hours wrestled back from the bottle. Like you, 1Step, I may be overdoing it a bit, but I'm happy to go with the energy while it's here.

I have also been getting 'out there' - meeting new potential customers and joined a business networking group ( not really my natural comfort zone ) - and guess what - yesterday I made the biggest project sale for 12 months and sold a second job the same afternoon. There are a coupld more prospects who have gone from 'warm' to 'hot' too, so I am hopeful there.

What this means is that recent cash flow issues are behind us ( for a couple of months anyway ). In May we had to sell stuff we owned to put food on the table, whilst waiting for late paying customers to pay. June was similarly scary, with us having to eke out every cent at the end of the month.

But July is sorted and we should have enough in a few days to see us through August too... I cannot express what a relief this is.

Modesty aside, I am actually rather good at what I do, but the last 12 months or so have seen me very defensive and timid. Now I feel like I can really steal a march on my competitors and am enthusiastic about winning more projects in the next few months.

As I have reflected before - nothing has materially changed - except my attitude to my situation

Its 2.45 now and I have to be up again at 5.45 for my weekly meeting - crazily I would have had " one last glass to get get me to sleep " in the bad old days.

And the last of those bad old days were only 33 days ago.

Finally and weirdly I'm finding I can play the piano so much better - a lot more space and time to feel my way around a piece. less thoughts racing through my head as I play.

I'm pretty sure this comes from knowing that this time I have stopped for good.

Fear of failure is turning to acceptance of my choice, leading to hope for a more balanced and peaceful me.

Go well everyone.

Fradley

PS - mebutmuchbetter - Those symptoms sound to me like you could be what we ( pretend ) doctors call ' getting fit'.

Maybe also 'happier' ?

Last edited by nyala; 07-08-2015 at 06:04 PM. Reason: 's and .s and thing like that...
Old 07-08-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Emme- Your strength in the face of that kind of adversity is inspiring. I can't even imagine; I'm not religious, but I will send whatever positive vibes I can muster your way.

1step- I felt a little sick Monday and my AV was going nuts. Way to not look to an immediate cure or use your back as an irrational excuse to drink.

mebutmuchbetter- I'm far from a doctor, lol. However, from what I have read, alcohol and your body fully adjusting back to normal can take time. It might not be a bad idea to see a doctor, but also doesn't seem like anything to worrisome. Stay sober and keep tracking.

Fradley- Congrats man! Yeah we don't have the booze to fall back on when times are tough, but you can start to see how much more you can achieve without running to something to temporarily cure yourself. I hope business stays in an upward trend.

Day 37. Pretty normal day overall. I have a big day tomorrow and it maybe the biggest challenge to my sobriety yet. I don't mean to be cryptic and will expound further later. The good news is, I have SR in my pocket and will not hesitate to utilize this invaluable resource. My sobriety necklace has been vastly helpful as well. I wear it with pride and grab it if any stupid urge fills my brain. Much love, Nolan.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Day 35.
I didn't have a great day and came here to talk about it and then I read everyone's posts and there are so many nice comments that I can't post about my day anymore. I just want to thank everyone for your comments and support. I know I wouldn't be able to get through this without it. Thank you again I hope everyone is doing well~
Old 07-08-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Administrator

Emme - this is a support thread. If you need support - please post

D
Old 07-08-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Dee, thanks~ I think I am feeling a little better. It was a long day and if tomorrow isn't better, I will post
Old 07-09-2015, 12:52 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Emme - What Dee said ^^^

I think we have a good spread of time zones in this class - and there is always the newcomers thread if you need an instant response.

Noolan - Thanks ! Good luck with your challenge - I'm backing you to stay strong.

I realised I have gone to bed, had a quick sleep, got up again, drove across town, had a breakfast meeting, come home and am back at my desk - all in the space of 6.5 hours.

10.00am - Day 33 - bring it on !
Old 07-09-2015, 02:48 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
Dee, thanks~ I think I am feeling a little better. It was a long day and if tomorrow isn't better, I will post
Make sure you do, if things are going a bit wobbly.. we here!
Old 07-09-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Glad your feeling better emme, and post whenever you feel the need to, we're all here for you.

Day 18 is nearly over for me. Back pain has eased and I've managed to do some things that needed doing. Went to a really inspiring meeting tonight, I was asked to read a section from the big book- I used to HATE reading or speaking in public but through AA I have learnt to control my nerves and I'm pleased to say I now actually enjoy it!

My confidence is growing, and after hearing 2 particular shares tonight I'm intending changing my life, not just by not drinking but also changing careers, its frightening and daunting and Its not going to be an overnight thing but I want a chance to fulfil my potential that alcohol stole from me at the age of 15.

My first priority is to stay sober and work hard on my recovery. Hope I have the strength and courage to do this.

Keep strong friends.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Good stuff 1step up. I am really starting to believe other things fall into place whilst sober. I concur with the theft of potential which alcohol inflicts on people. It's almost like waking up from a slumber of however many years (in my case 23) and thinking 'how the hell did I get here?' whilst realizing that the demons have been weaving their work whilst you look on and encourage them at every possible opportunity.

Here is a little banana playing a guitar for you to celebrate your efforts so far
Old 07-09-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Administrator

so glad to hear you're feeling better 1step

D