Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 16

Old 07-04-2015, 11:01 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Wow Conquest, what a view! A nice little luxury.

We had a good time on our little fireworks picnic. A big thanks to James C., DDS, for the generous (albeit unauthorized) use of his lawn. It was a good show this year, some cool new stuff, and my daughter had a blast.

Home now and ready for bed. Looking forward to a nice quiet walking path tomorrow morning. Remember hangovers? Shaking, sweating, anxiety, headache, all manner of sickness, wasting your whole damn day nursing it, only to do it all over again. No thanks! I was a slave to that cycle for long enough. I guess this really is Independence Day.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Wow, Briar. Independence is right.

Starting funk free Friday with coffee, the paper, and church in a bit.

How's everyone else? Not gonna lie...this was a tough one for me. What saved me was there was no booze in the house. It could've easily gone the other way had I been around it more. Yuck.

I hope we squashed some more AVs last night. If we need to try again today, I've got just the thing for that...
Old 07-05-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

That's right Briar! A true Independence Day for us! No hangover over here. Yesterday wasn't bad AV wise. Friday was for sure. I still use the classic "time to eat" routine to put it away. Seems like I've been having ice cream everyday with my kid. Beats the alternative.

Today going over to parents for pool party. Just family. Some mild drinking I'm sure will be happening. Some bad drunken moments over there for sure. But not today. I'll be too busy with the boy in the water to even care.

Well done friends! Happy 4th!
Old 07-05-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Good morning. I have been up for awhile doing some cleaning around the kitchen. Did a vinegar run through the Keurig and just sitting with my first cup of coffee.

I am going to play with my tea brewing stuff today and chill some raspberry mango flavor. I may just brew it loose in a larger teapot and strain it through my mug insert. I think there are pretty tins of teas at my produce market. It is one of those markets with , well, great produce, but also a few fancy groceries, flowers, garden plants, dairy, some nice prepared foods and deli. They added beer and wine a year or two ago which annoys me. But it is such a lovely place otherwise, I tolerate it. It has been the source of past failures however. So, if I focus on fNcy tea, that will help navigate that.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

My computer is pretty much unusable for browsing. Forgive my weird typos from the phone! Getting to annoying to fix them all!

Husband indicated we would choose a new laptop together after vacation.

Opinions: I have an iPhone. Daughter is recommending a tablet or iPad. I basically use my computer for email, forums like this. I moderate on another related to a medical issue. I shop, read, use Facebook a little, and do use Microsoft Word or office for the occasional letter or spreadsheet, etc... Does a tablet or IPad do everything? I prefer the larger screen if shopping and viewing our pictures or videos, and still prefer browsing with a mouse. I have never really used an iPad. What are all your preferences?

I know this has nothing to do with sobriety, but we do all have in common needing devices to be here. I am leaning toward a PC laptop. For similar cost, I think it gives me more functionality over an i gadget. Happy for opinions and experiences.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Hi gang,

I'm all in for an Octsober-style Independence Day.

Phoebe, I generally use an iPad at home and quite like it, but for the document capability etc. that you need, a laptop may be the way to go. Don't know much about tablets.

Had hoped for some pool time, but another gray rainy day so far. This little mutt had the nerve to get in my favorite chair when I got up for more coffee. She looks a little sheepish about it too.....I think she missing my little one. I'm ready to get my arms around her myself and I think they arrive at five, gotta check on that.

Wishing all the best day.

Last edited by Mark1014; 07-05-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

What a cutie, Mark. Is she yappy? Lol. I want a smaller dog without the yap factor. Does she like the pool? Is that Westie?

I think I mentioned we are likely going to finally break down and get a dog. We can begging the search in August, after our vacations are done. We may have a family visit after that, but if so, I can stay home with a new dog. A dog cannot go to the house we visit due to allergies. Husband's sister may let us stay. She and her partner have two dogs, but one is a puppy, and if ours was new, I think it would be too soon to travel. We would need to get to know each other. Thinking adult dog from a shelter. Daughter begins volunteering at a nice one this week. She can pre screen for us!

It is a beautiful summer day her. Dry, breezy, climbing to low 80s. I want to go play, but really have laundry to get through, and more unpacking. Beds could all use fresh linens too.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Ipad is more of a toy IMO. No usb port, ETC. I'd go with a laptop. I'm the odd one out-love my desktop. I have a Lenovo (formerly IBM) all in one (no tower), no issues at all after a year.

Just dropped the girls off at the bus stop. So strange to have your kid be a visitor. Nice to see DD with her friends. She is very happy and that makes me happy, although sad to see her go.

Great pix Conquest! Arbor, ice cream is a good alternative at the moment. Enjoy your Sunday all.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Cute, Mark!

Phoebe, I still have a big desktop computer, just got a new one actually. I prefer it because I write a lot, but I also use a tablet and my phone for just cruising the internet and posting on here. You can tell when I post from my big computer because I actually bold names. It's a terrible pain to do that from a smaller device. I really don't care for laptops personally. They are too bulky for just chilling out, and I can never take to those tiny keyboards. If I need to write when I'm out in the world, I just bring a notebook.

I'm in a bit of a foul mood this morning for no reason whatsoever, but otherwise funk free and grateful. My walking buddy will be here shortly, and it's a nice cool foggy morning.

On the agenda today is cleaning the house, laundry, and groceries. I let everything go a bit while I wasn't well, and of course my husband is no help. It definitely makes it harder to drag myself back to sanity when I always have to do it in a messy house, but that's just how it is until I get my sister wife . Ha! I wish!

I hope everyone's well today.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Yep phoebe, she's a westie. She sheds very little and that is an absolute requirement from me. She has never bitten anyone and she rides well.

She is yappy and only fairly obedient. She doesn't like to get in the pool. She won't go up and down the stairs on her own but whines go up or down. They are wood and slippery I guess, so she is afraid to try. And I discovered this week that she won't do her 'business' outside if I don't go with her.....and then she takes forever because she doesn't like the wet morning grass. Upon getting back inside, she likes to jump on the sofa or a bed or chair and roll around to get dry. I hate that. She whines for a tummy rub but ALWAYS lies down just beyond reach so that she can hardly be reached without almost slipping out of your chair. I would brush her but she gets nervous about it and tenses up and tries to slink away. She'll probably out live me....ha.

She is good with the kids.

My only other experience with an inside dog was a malti-poo....Maltese poodle mix. She looked like a Maltese and didn't shed much at all. She was a great sweetheart and we had her for 14 years. Wonderful disposition and I had hoped for same with this latest dog, I should've gotten a clue when the vet asked what made us choose a Westie. A dog can certainly be an enjoyable addition, but it makes traveling problematic at times getting a house sitter etc.. Once this dog is gone I'm done (I'll probably have to eat those words).

Rain pouring, but I got some work stuff to catch up on anyway.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

I grew up with dogs so I know exactly what it takes. Wife and I have zero interest in getting any pets. The kids are enough.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

I'm getting this place in tip top shape for my family's return. Gonna have this with me at the airport for my little one. It was hard for her to leave it, but she didn't want her cousins to know she still likes it around. Growing up can be tough.

Not gonna say anything about it, I'll just hand it to her in the car. Getting excited about the return!

Last edited by Mark1014; 07-05-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Aw, how sweet to bring her,Mark. I'm sure little bit will be thrilled

Phoebe, I've gotta second the Lenovo laptop. I've had mine for two years and love it. Plus, the price was great. There are many now with detachable touch screens so you can use it as a laptop or tablet. I've got an iPad too. But like was said before, it's used for entertainment only, not work.

Got my place all cleaned up and may go wash the car... Or I'll just keep my fingers crossed for a quick thunderstorm to stop by. They've been popping up this time of day lately...very Texas summer.

Love this group!
Old 07-05-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor8 View Post
I grew up with dogs so I know exactly what it takes. Wife and I have zero interest in getting any pets. The kids are enough.
I felt exactly this way until recently. Took 11 years after my second and last baby to even think about a dog! Now that we have hinted that we might do it, my daughter is OBESESSED. She wants one so badly. I think I will give her some time at the shelter, picking up poo and doing some dirty work before we take the plunge. Make sure she knows what it takes.

The second advantage to getting an adult dog is if we regret it, less years to go with the commitment, lol. It will need to be calm, medium to small, housebroken, ideally lower shed type. Not rushing into it. We plan to look carefully since there is no shortage of dogs in shelters.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input on computers, Conquest, BD, mark and Briar, and anyone I am missing.

Husbands work keeps putting out deals on as much as 40% off Lenovos and now 3-4 people have endorsed them between here and my other forum. One person said her husband does IT and they seem to have the least problems in his experience.

Mine is HP and gets wicked hot. I had to replace the motherboard already, thankfully the last few weeks on warrantee. But it lacks enough memory to work well anymore and is running very hot again. So we want to try a new brand. The detachable feature sounds cool!

I do love my iPhone. First Mac device for me, other than a very old music only iPod. iPad sounds like a fun toy, but less practical as an extra family device. Kids also share my computer, since they share another family computer for school. Sometimes both need it at once and they use mine. Husband shares both, since his work one is "work only" for security reasons. Nothing personal allowed on it at all. So, full service PC does make the most sense.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

AV is still talking. Still the holiday weekend.

How about everyone else?

Trying to keep busy and distracted.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

I hear a little gabbing too, phoebe. Need a distraction? I love going to boredpanda.com or thisiswhyimbroke.com
I could get lost in those sites for hours... And have! Lol
I'm running to the store for veggies (hissing at the booze aisle). All those chips and hotdogs yesterday have got my body begging for something green and leafy.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

And I just realized it's because the TV is on and every other commercial is booze. Yep. Time to turn it off and get outside! We got this
Old 07-05-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Funny, Conquest, I am about to do a veggie run too! Got the basics to put together dinner yesterday, but need more variety and things for my daughter, who does not eat salad.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  

Alcohol sales end at 5 on Sundays here, so witching hour is past.

Sloppy Joes and potato salad for dinner, although I did not make it. Nice relaxing evening ahead; chores are all done.