Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 16

Old 07-02-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

It's funny....I hear that I sound like such a baby when all of you sound very grown up. I'm not disparaging myself here...I'm just more aware now. Seeing things more clearly. I have a lot of work to do. If anything, I am a little embarrassed. But it's you guys...you know me. And I get to be honest here. Grateful that you have all been so kind to me while I have been going through all of my stuff. I feel like a butterfly that is slowly wedging herself out of that cocoon....it's lovely. But a bit of a shock. I really didn't know what was on the other side.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

I think it's a bit of a shock too V. Kind of a wide-eyed, open mouth moment of now what?.....but in a mostly good way.

Quiet weekend for me. I remember when my son was about 4 and we took him to a fireworks display for the Fourth. Thought he'd love it, but after the first blasts of sound he squatted down low to the grass as if to hide and cried. Good intentions gone bad...must have damaged his ears because he plays his music so loud now that I'm surprised y'all don't hear it.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Lol at the loud music.

And I'll echo what Mark and V have said. Thank goodness for a place that we can be open and honest. I'm feeling a teeny tiny bit guilty but relieved because I decided to skip a trip out of state with cowboy to visit a friend of his this weekend. I know they'll be partying and I'd be surrounded by people I don't know plus the holiday temptation... Just too much right now. I gave vacation bible school preparation as my excuse and he's being very understanding. I promised to go back with him in a few weeks. (It'll be just their family and us, not the whole family reunion. I feel like I can handle that much better.)
So I'll be home this weekend. My apartment is right where the fireworks go off so a bunch of my family is invited to come over for classic 4th food... Hotdogs, burgers, tater salad, and whatever anyone wants to bring. Thankfully, they don't really drink so lemonade and sweet tea will serve all just fine.
About to whip up some sugar cookies for his trip, my consolation prize for not being there with a promise to visit in a few weeks... I'm cool with that. (And I'll snap a pic before I box them up!)

What's everyone else got going on for the holiday weekend?
Old 07-02-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Hey Conquest sounds like a good idea to me to avoid something like that. Just yesterday I met up with a family friend to look at her property and assess some trees. She invited me inside to her newly remodeled home. My eye immediately caught the new wine fridge built nicely into the kitchen cabinetry. She's French and an avid wine drinker. My mind immediately went to the times my wife and I had gotten together with her and her family and socially drank, talked, had fun. And then my mind went right to feeling the dread of being asked for a get together again like that. It's been a while and things have changed dramatically on both ends, but I don't feel Id be comfortable at all still. So I can relate. I think sometimes we still need to stay in our comfort zones and that's alright.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Oh and V...remember that James Taylor quote I posted a while back? Well, there's a second part to it that might be helpful.

"One thing that addiction does is, it freezes you. You don’t develop, you don’t learn the skills by trial and error of having experiences and learning from them, and finding out what it is you want, and how to go about getting it, by relating with other people. You short-circuit all of that stuff and just go for the button that says this feels good over and over again. So you can wake up, as I did, at the age of 36, feeling like you’re still 17. One of the things you learn as you get older is that you’re just the same."

I think a lot of us can relate to the way your feeling. :hugs:
Old 07-02-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Checking in. Had some teen drama last night. Ugh. Headed to the beach soon.

I always wanted a sister or sisters, V. Glad you got to a better place and had a nice shopping trip with yours.

Conquest, glad you got your smile back!

Congrats on 9 months, Mark!!

No big plans here for the 4th. We were invited to another big lake party, but are driving home that Day, Saturday. Will likely grill up some food and enjoy being home.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

The Fourth will just be another day for me here I think. Brings to mind about 6 years or so ago I went with my family to Dallas for the fourth and we went to a fireworks show at a huge park where people spread out blankets to sit on and enjoy the display. I of course started drinking very early and was feeling horrible before the event even got under way. Another example of how drinking was draining the joy from my life. I can see that in retrospect.

I do have an opportunity to go out to the country and spend time with my brother, but there'll likely be folks in the mix that would give me pause., may be out of my comfort zone and that's ok.

Likely I'll grill something I like and enjoy a day of serenity to myself and not feel lonely. Maybe even make some ice cream. Ok, time to knock out the afternoons's work and call this workweek done.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Sounds good mark. Man, I got a horrific drunken 4th of July fireworks display story to reflect on too. I've been thinking of it lately. What an embarrassment I was. When I think of that it keeps me from drinking every time.

Got some town fireworks about to blast off here in an hour or so. It's great cause we can see them shoot off through the valley perfectly from our deck. With two small children its great to not have go anywhere.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor8 View Post
It's great cause we can see them shoot off through the valley perfectly from our deck. With two small children its great to not have go anywhere.
That's my kind of evening Arbor. With time we'll all make plenty of great memories to overshadow the not-so-great ones. I hope you and yours enjoy the show.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

I'm making chicken parmigiana and caesar salad for the 4th of July, DD's request. A friend from school (from TX) is interning in NYC and will be staying with us for the weekend. Tomorrow's menu is Kung Pao Chicken, another request. You can see the fireworks from many different directions from our roof, so I may check that out. Starting my day tomorrow with an early walk with DD. She will be gone in a flash-need to enjoy my time with her.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Sounds fun and delicious, BD!

Arbor, how lucky to see the fireworks from home!

I had one 4th or maybe Mdmorial Day party, one of the "lake parties," where I drank so much and then fell asleep on a couch. I guess it was a 4th, because I had gone inside to watch fireworks with my nervous son. Home fireworks, which freak me out anyway. I passed out, basically. Even without drinking, those are long parties. Ugh. Kids love it and we do enjoy it, but, I am glad we can avoid this one due to traveling home that day.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

BD, sounds fantastic! I've never tried to make Kung pao chicken myself... That may be my next experiment in the kitchen. Tonight, I threw together some quesadillas using leftover chicken. I couldn't pop them out fast enough for jr. and his friends. It always makes me feel good when they gobble up my cooking.

Phoebe, Your story sounds familiar. This year, I'm taking my nap during the day and looking forward to a lovely evening with family.

Afternoon coffee has me wide awake tonight... Time to shut it down and read. That usually does the trick.
Gnight all!
Old 07-02-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Hi all, little better today. Was able to take a walk, which I haven't done in a couple days. Hoping to feel even better tomorrow. I hate depression, but at least with my meds the really bad part only lasts a few days. Used to be months. That sucked big time. So it's all good, hope to catch up more tomorrow. Good night everyone.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  
Administrator

Night Briar - night everyone

D
Old 07-03-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Knowing that it gets better is very powerful, Briar. I hope the fog lifts soon for you.

Sugar cookies didn't happen yesterday, so here they come today... Plus a little bit of cleaning and prep for company tomorrow. Hopefully, I can sneak in some pool time too. It's gonna be a good day.

Make it outstanding, friends!
Old 07-03-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

I've never made Chicken King Pao either Conquest. Frankly, it's not easy for me to get motivated in the kitchen and after a few drinks, I really did not care what we were eating.

I'm sure it will be great. I will keep you posted.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Ta-daaaaaaaa! Cream cheese frostiiiiiiiing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (41.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-03-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Those look GREAT!!! I would love to jump into those with a huge glass of milk.

But almost anything appeals to me at the moment . Pictured below is what I have eaten for almost every meal this week......a 3 net-carb wrap with deli meat. One day I may become more of a foodie. I'm gonna get more creative tomorrow. Ahhhh the bachelor style life!

Last edited by Mark1014; 07-04-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Hi, Octsobers.

I have missed you. Wow; lots of catching up to do!!!!!! And even a name change.

Love to all.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Hey sweet Leigh! How are you hunny bunny?

Mark, You forgot the mustard! I'd smack my sista for that wrap right now. All I've had today is... well, yall can probably guess... Cookies! Can't complain. Lol