Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 5)

Old 07-01-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

I think of those twinges of desire as more of a learned reflex than a temptation. Those are pretty easy for me to dismiss. I'm glad yours came and went in the blink of an eye.

If your sunburn really gets uncomfortable, buy some Noxema. They still sell it and it really does feel wonderful on sunburns. I have some in my bathroom cupboard but I avoid sun like the plague. I'm a shade seeker all the way.

I miss everyone else when they don't post too, Casey. I've checked in here periodically throughout the day and it is always a letdown when I see there's nothing to read or respond to. I even found myself in the other forums seeking something to occupy myself with.

Goodnight, everyone. Going to take my meds and hit the hay. Hopefully a guy is coming tomorrow to buy my aerobic step bench I posted on Craigslist. He said 2:30 so we'll see. Nothing irritates me more than giving out my home address to someone online only to have them vaporize into thin air without a word. Makes me want to commit a felony.

Sleep tight!! (((Hugs)))
Old 07-01-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ginamarie323 View Post
Hi guys.....Day 51 here and checking in. Still so crazy busy I haven't had time to catch up on the thread here, but I did have my first big wave of a craving today, while working. I mean I could literally feel what it would taste like (I was actually debating in my head getting a bottle on the way home but then came to my senses) Funny how they just crop up out of nowhere. I can totally relate to your story in the grocery story, Casey. Although I never bought a box of wine but seriously thought about it. I would do the same thing though; start off with a decent bottle and then it would deteriorate into the cheap crap. Makes for a nice morning.

Have a good evening guys
Hey, Gina! Sorry you had a rough go of it but happy for you that you persevered. Day 52 coming up for you because of it! Sleep tight.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you made the decision to not take that first drink, Ginamarie.

I never really bought the box wine specifically because of the price. (Ok, sometimes I bought it for the price.) It was just so much more convenient than lugging all those bottles around and then having to spread them around in different trash cans. The box I could unfold and cut up and dispose of all in one trash bag without any of that tell-tale clink of empty bottles coming together to remind myself and others of how much I drank.

Plus with bottle wine, once I opened a bottle I was definitely drinking all of it that night. Couldn't have it go bad. So if I finished one bottle but still wanted "one more" drink, I'd open another bottle and end up finishing it too because I didn't want to waste the new bottle. Box wine could last me two or three or four days, depending on the size of the box. Though it was harder to keep track of how much I was drinking from the box so I think it led to me drinking more. Sometimes I'd even leave a sharpie marker next to the box and try to make a mark on it every time I poured a drink. That never lasted long. I'd also try the same thing with big bottles of booze as well.

Man, I put a lot of unsuccessful effort into controlling my drinking.

Just watched the first episode of a pretty good British drama called Poldark. I gather it's a new remake of a 1970s show about a British soldier returning home from the Revolutionary War to find his father dead and his estate in disarray. I'm a sucker for costume dramas. This one was a little soap opera-ish at times but it was well-acted and the atmosphere was good enough that I'm going to keep watching.

Good night all!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  
Administrator

The original Poldark is worth sourcing if you like those lush 1970s BBC historical dramas Casey
Old 07-01-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The original Poldark is worth sourcing if you like those lush 1970s BBC historical dramas Casey
Thanks Dee. Some of those 70s BBC dramas hold up for me, most are a little too like a stage play in their acting and production for my tastes. But I'll probably check it out at some point after I watch this remake. I had never heard of the original before the remake started airing here in America a couple of weeks ago. Like I said, I dug the first episode. I've got the rest of them already but I try not to binge on too much television in one sitting. SR is the only thing I like to binge on at the moment.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Hang in there Copper!
I know what you mean. There's a million things I need to deal with from the past 10 years, but I know I'm not ready yet. They make appearances every once in a while in my thoughts, but for now I'm ignoring them until I think I'm strong enough in my sobriety to deal with it. I also stopped counting. I know I'm one day behind Gina, and I know my sobriety date, but I don't count every day. Maybe one a week I figure out where I'm at, just in case a fun anniversary is coming up, but that's about it. I think it's helped.

Cissy, Hope you're plant is doing good! I do wish I could see into the future. Planning would be so much easier! It's probably some sort of control issue we all have, us and all our issues I love it when a good breeze blows through. I'm not much for leaving my house either, unless I have to. That alligator is terrifying. I went on an alligator tour once in Florida. They sure are creepy creatures. Even the big ones are hard to spot! My AV is Voldemort, from Harry Potter. Only his face, his body is kind of like a floaty black cape... Which is weird because I never really watched or read Harry Potter. Just the first thing that came to mind when someone started a thread on what your AV looks like haha

and

Gina. glad you made it through that craving! The big ones always seem to blindside me.

I was in an airport yesterday and you can buy beer and take it on the plane with you. Kind of like your thoughts, Casey, I didn't really want to drink. More of a reflex. My first thought was "Well I could only get 2 or 3 anyways, otherwise what would they think of me?" haha I was always thinking like that. I would get some there, then land and have to go out in search of more. What a pain. Glad that's over.

Going to finish my book and maybe watch some tv. I haven't seen any of this season's GOT yet and I have some Outlander to catch up on too. I'm slacking!
Old 07-02-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
nmd

Just a quick check in, missed yesterday. My sober date moved to July 1.

No plans for the weekend specifically. It's rained here so much this summer that I almost gave up hope on fireworks, but week see what happens.

Cissy, my garden isn't doing so hot either. Winter squash rotted and died completely and my peppers are suffering from the cold and wet weather. I do have little green tomatoes, but haven't had a first BLT yet. My lettuce, radishes and onions are happy though, so lots of salads (with nasty supermarket tomatoes :-p )
Old 07-02-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Copper442 View Post
Checking in. I all but blew up my modem and router so stuck posting from my phone today. Can't respond individually like I want to. Glad to see everyone doing well.

I'm struggling. Have been for several days. 45 days today. Seems the further I get from my last drink, the closer I get to my next one. I'll get through it. All will be fine.
I personally suffer from rebound anxiety when i stop drinking. Little things and cravings seem bigger than they really are, and then all of the sudden they aren't a big deal. It just takes time for things to level out. 45 days is awesome!
Old 07-02-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Good morning Mayflowers,

I am going to try to be a little more active on the thread. maybe not every day but I went a couple of weeks without a post, and figured a lot of you thought I had fallen off the wagon. No, it's just all those thoughts and emotions buried by alcohol showed up in force after about day 30. I tried mindfulness technique, keeping busy, increasing my mileage running (if that's even possible!) Nothing worked, day 40 was hell and in a last desperate attempt not to drink my doctor called me in some xanax, which helped.

It's a crutch, and I know it, with the potential to become just one addiction swapped out for another. But alcohol is the worst poison, and I'm trying only to break out "vitamin X" only for the worst moments.

Doc also started me on Paxil but it's another 2 weeks before it kicks in.

So now I'm a pill-popper. A sober one, but one nevertheless. Perhaps I'll join an anxiety med forum for this...

Good luck to all.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Nmd, glad you're back with us! Hopefully your persistence will pay off this time. And glad to hear you're having some luck with gardening, even if it's not 100% 😀

4, glad you're here! I never jump to people falling off the wagon, but I do worry when people don't check in! You never know, could be something even worse than drinking. Sorry to hear about the anxiety. Glad you called your doctor! At least you know what to look out for, and sounds like the pills are under control for now. Are you thinking of seeing a therapist or anything?
Old 07-02-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by site1Q84 View Post
Nmd, glad you're back with us! Hopefully your persistence will pay off this time. And glad to hear you're having some luck with gardening, even if it's not 100% 😀
Thanks, I hate posting the "i drank" posts, I feel like somehow it might be a trigger for someone else to drink or attempt to moderate, but it is what it is.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone. It's another gorgeous day here. I'm getting so spoiled!! Dog days are coming, though. They always do. What a blessing to be in the comfortable 70's in July. AND to have low humidity.

4, so nice that you're back! Participating here regularly really does help. Even when you aren't struggling, it is good to be an active part of a community that is going through the same thing that you are. I think if I had been active during my 2.3 months of sobriety beginning on February 1st, I might have been able to stay sober all the way through to this very day. Maybe not, but maybe so. Don't fret about the Xanax. Use it when it's necessary, not when it isn't. If you start using it just to use it, flush them. I hope the Paxil does something good for you.

Site, I can't believe you can buy beer in the airport and carry it onto the plane. Things sure are different in various parts of the world. That wouldn't have tempted me cause if it's not really cold, why drink it? I like your image of the av that plagues you from time to time. Thanks for posting that. I never knew there was a thread for av images! Will have to go hunting.

nmd, sorry that your abundant salad materials will be graced with store-bought tomatoes. The heat will arrive and the tomatoes will be late but I have to believe that they will come. I feel like Linus in the pumpkin patch, waiting on the Great Pumpkin. Glad you're back even though you scraped your knee again.

I'm very seriously considering buying a starter kit to start vaping. I really think it will help me in the evenings to stop eating excessively and when I'm struggling and really wanting to relapse, I'll have something to turn to. I can skip the nicotine altogether or just use a very low dose. They have cool flavors to add to the vaporizer and I think it would be fun and pretty much harmless. I'm going to shop around and see what I can find.

I have to lose weight. Have to, have to, HAVE to. I have lost and regained so many lbs since 1998 (and before, but REALLY stepped it up that year) that it's maddening. I need to find a way to keep them off this time and I think the only way that can happen is if I have a new sustainable "addiction." Addicts are born, not made. I don't think I can ever be free of all bad habits so it's time to channel those tendencies toward something that won't ruin my life and blow all my money.

The amount of money I'll save on junk food and pizza delivery alone will more than pay the costs for it. I'm doing it. Soon as I find a good deal. Now to choose what flavor! Sounds like fun. I've been watching videos on youtube and doing research. I'm not jumping into this out of the clear blue. I do like to do my homework.

That's all the news for now. (((Hugs))) to everyone reading this. I'll share some of the responsibility that Casey always bears and ask each of you who are just lurking to come out and rejoin us, no matter how things are going. We started May with such strong numbers and we've dwindled down to a small core group and I'm pretty sure there are others who are just afraid to tell what's going on with them. We're not here to judge (least of all me) and each time I've messed up, I'm always welcomed back with open arms by these wonderful Mayflowers.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 56. I guess that sunburn on the back of my shoulders is worse than I thought because it's really hurting now and made for an uncomfortable night's sleep. I'm about to head to the store to get something for it. Including some ibuprofen as all I have around the house right now is baby aspirin. One of the side benefits of being sober is I don't have to stress out too bad if I need to take a Tylenol or Excedrin for some reason. I don't have to worry that taking two Tylenol on top of the two bottles of wine I had a few hours earlier is going to make my liver just spontaneously explode.

Off work again today. No plans. I actually did my laundry yesterday instead of procrastinating. If I can get this sunburn under control, I will probably go to an AA meeting later. Otherwise I don't want to be out in the sun on my bike as it's projected to be in the mid to high 90s here all day today. I'll probably laze around the house most of the day reading.

site -- I mostly really enjoyed this whole season of GoT. It's good to finally be moving past the books so I don't know what's happening next. Never got past the first couple of episodes of Outlander. It was well made and I found that lead actress very good (and attractive), but the actual story just didn't grab me. But I know a lot of people love it.

nmd -- glad you're back. July has always been a special month for me sobriety-wise as it's the month I discovered SR. In fact, I've recently reconnected with my first class here, the good old class of July 2013. Lot of great folks in that group and it's still very active today despite there not being too many folks from it who haven't had a relapse at some point.

4thekidz -- I love hearing that you're planning on being more active here. Also proud of you for taking some active steps and going to a doctor about your anxiety. Don't look at the Xanax and Paxil as a crutch. Use them as the doctor intends you to and look at them as a tool. I look forward to seeing you in here more regularly.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Casey, Noxema. It works!
Old 07-02-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  
nmd

I'm sure your tomatoes will come, :-) They are easy and fickle at the same time. They seem to like consistency more than anything. Enough water, sun, fertilizer, etc, but no wild swings or too much/little of something. That can be difficult in a pot as it will heat up and dry out faster than plants would in the ground. My garden was a complete failure last year as I let things go to weeds and then the deer came through and finished the job (who knew deer at tomato plants?). Kind of a metaphor for my life and drinking. I have a lot of weeding to do.

I think you quit smoking? I hate to see someone go back to nicotine, it's so addictive and it seems to have it's own euphoria/anxiety cycle from use and withdrawal. I've never been a smoker but was into cigars briefly. I got into it enough to know that I was getting mentally addicted, obsessing over when I could have another cigar, how much I could smoke safely, etc. That was from maybe a dozen cigars. I just steer clear now because I know I would get hooked. That, and I watch my girlfriend have a fit at least once a week when she can't get the liquid reservoir open on her e-cig and she really needs a smoke. It really doesn't look appealing. Please don't think I judging at all, it's just that addiction of any kind sucks. I hate needing something.

I find I crave carbs when I'm not drinking. It's like my body hasn't adjusted to the routine and it's looking for it's booze/sugar. I haven't really been watching my diet too closely as the H in HALT (hungry, angry, lonely, tired) gets me more often than I like. I guess I'm just giving myself a pass on weight until I get a more stable footing. Drinking is causing me way more damage.

All I can really add is it take care of yourself and love yourself first. You are doing great staying sober, I think a lot of the other stuff just takes some time. Give yourself some credit for what you have already done. :-)

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
nmd, sorry that your abundant salad materials will be graced with store-bought tomatoes. The heat will arrive and the tomatoes will be late but I have to believe that they will come. I feel like Linus in the pumpkin patch, waiting on the Great Pumpkin. Glad you're back even though you scraped your knee again.

I'm very seriously considering buying a starter kit to start vaping. I really think it will help me in the evenings to stop eating excessively and when I'm struggling and really wanting to relapse, I'll have something to turn to. I can skip the nicotine altogether or just use a very low dose. They have cool flavors to add to the vaporizer and I think it would be fun and pretty much harmless. I'm going to shop around and see what I can find.

I have to lose weight. Have to, have to, HAVE to. I have lost and regained so many lbs since 1998 (and before, but REALLY stepped it up that year) that it's maddening. I need to find a way to keep them off this time and I think the only way that can happen is if I have a new sustainable "addiction." Addicts are born, not made. I don't think I can ever be free of all bad habits so it's time to channel those tendencies toward something that won't ruin my life and blow all my money.

The amount of money I'll save on junk food and pizza delivery alone will more than pay the costs for it. I'm doing it. Soon as I find a good deal. Now to choose what flavor! Sounds like fun. I've been watching videos on youtube and doing research. I'm not jumping into this out of the clear blue. I do like to do my homework.

That's all the news for now. (((Hugs))) to everyone reading this. I'll share some of the responsibility that Casey always bears and ask each of you who are just lurking to come out and rejoin us, no matter how things are going. We started May with such strong numbers and we've dwindled down to a small core group and I'm pretty sure there are others who are just afraid to tell what's going on with them. We're not here to judge (least of all me) and each time I've messed up, I'm always welcomed back with open arms by these wonderful Mayflowers.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
I personally suffer from rebound anxiety when i stop drinking. Little things and cravings seem bigger than they really are, and then all of the sudden they aren't a big deal. It just takes time for things to level out. 45 days is awesome!
Thanks for this. This may definitely be a contributing factor. Good to see you back around!
Old 07-02-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

we continue here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-6-a.html

D