Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 46

Old 07-05-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Nym glad you had fun at your bbq. And sounds like you're doing great with all the exercise! Kayaking sounds like a fun way to spend some time today.

Glee I love bonfires! Sorry to hear about your friend not doing so well.

Having a nice mellow day today before I head to womp tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your friend Glee.

D
Old 07-05-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Just checking in to say hi guys.
Hope you're all doing ok.
Got a lot going on here.... but I guess that's just called life!
Best drag myself out of my warm bed and make the effort to go to womp.
Xx
Old 07-06-2015, 12:23 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Good to see you Petals, how are you doing?

I had to google cards against humanity, if it has crossed the pond it hasn't reached the circles I travel in!

NYMets, the big difference between Normies and drunks is that they go to events to enjoy the event, alcohol is a small an not always necessary part of it. Drunks go to an event planning every aspect of it around when what and where they can get a drink. The event itself is circumstantial. Funny how when we sober up we begin going to things and realise they can be enjoyed as an experience in themselves!

Glee I am sorry for your friend and sorry for you to have to see him like that. I made the extremely deifficult decision to leave my first husband when it was obvious he wasn't going to change. He kept quoting 'in sickness and in health' at me, but had I stayed I would have been committing slow suicide. Even though it took me a further 13 years to confront my own alcoholism, I know that had I stayed, I would have sunk too deep to ever get out.

While it is good to feel compassion I and understanding for others, sometimes we are placed in a situation where we have to put our own health first.

BeFree it's good to hear you sounding more like your old self again sweetie

I wish all Undies a happy sober week ahead
Old 07-06-2015, 02:05 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

BF - I love that game! Another one I really like is Apples to Apples. Don't think I've tried either sober, but I'm willing to bet I would still like them

nymets, the amount of exercise you're getting is inspiring! I love being outside and someone told me yesterday about a place to go kayaking not far from my place in LA, so I'm going to look into that. I love being on/near water, so it seems like a good way to be outside! Sadly, I can't run because I get terrible shin splints, but I do love walking and hiking, and try to do that whenever I can. Nowhere near as many miles as you do though!

gleefan, sorry to hear about your old friend. I know a few people like that as well. I never used to notice, but now that I quit other people's alcohol tendencies stick out like a sore thumb to me, even if they're not falling down drunk and others don't notice. I can only hope they all decide to join us and make it out alive, although I know it's not possible for everyone. I try to use it as a good reminder of why I'm not drinking anymore, even if it's not a day where I have cravings.

Enjoying a day off here... going to do some reading and watch some tv.. May go out for a ride, but I'm not sure yet. I'll check back in later.

Happy Monday everyone!
Old 07-06-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

I've never played Cards Against Humanity, but I have played Apples to Apples. It's a great party game.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Oh dear! I must really be getting old. I've never even heard of either game...

Site, good point about noticing others' drinking now that we are sober. I've noticed the same thing.

Glee, sorry about your friend. It is sad to see people who don't make it out of that deep pit. As much as we can empathize, I can't think of anything that is worth jeopardizing our own sobriety over.

Toots, I think your description of the difference between a drunk and a normie is spot on. I have the same view of tobacco addiction. When I still smoked, I would decide whether or not to go to an event by the length of it and the number of breaks. I would sometimes sneak out early to catch a smoke. I would also sit in the back to be able to slip out easily. Once my life was no longer ruled by nicotine, it became much richer ... except when I was drinking..

One of the things I appreciate so much about SR is hearing about members' awareness of positive differences. I remember thinking I would never quit craving nicotine but after a year or two, not smoking was effortlessly the norm
Old 07-06-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Good morning undies.
Off to womp today. I haven't worked a Monday in awhile!

Hope everyone has a good day!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Hope that's a good thing, BFree!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:47 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Saskia, glad you said that about smoking! I still smoke at the moment but I'm going to quit sometime in the near future, so that gave me some hope!
Old 07-07-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Site, I was incredibly strongly addicted to nicotine. Everyone used to say that if I could quit, anyone could. I smoked heavily for 20 years. Quitting wasn't easy but somehow I got through it. In the first year, whenever I had a bad craving, one of the things I would tell myself was that if I had a terminal disease, I'd let myself smoke then. After some time, even that disappeared. It's now 30 years since I quit and I certainly have never, ever regretted it!
Old 07-07-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

I feel like a dodged a bullet when it came to nicotine. My two grandmothers smoked like chimneys and died young because of it. My great grandmother outlived my grandmother on my dad's side of the family and I always attributed it to the fact that she didn't smoke.

My mom was a smoker when I was little and I always hated the smell of it. I don't really remember doing it, but my mom said she knew it was time to quit because my brother and I would go into her purse, desk drawers, night stand, etc and throw her cigarettes down the garbage disposal or into the toilet. She's now cigarette-free for over 20 years.

Either way, wish I'd developed the same aversion to alcohol than I did to cigarettes, but nobody in my immediate family is an alcoholic.

Things are going well here. I'm working from home today since I have a meeting this afternoon with a client that's much closer to my apartment than my office. In the past, I'd use that as an excuse to get completely hammered the night before since I had ample time to sleep it off. Instead, I went to the gym last night when I got a craving and since I'd gone to the gym in the morning, just did 10 minutes on an elliptical. Not much of a workout, but got me out of the apartment, when drinking was on my mind.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Never smoked a cigarette ever. My sister, mom and dad did and all have suffered for it. Mom died of lung cancer, dad had cancer of everything and sister is 70 with breathing problems although she quit years ago.

Never did drugs either, just the booze.. that was enough.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Smoking is something I've been saying for a few months now I was going to quit again. Last fall I stopped for about 3 months before starting up again when my friends started up and I was constantly around it. And my co workers as well smoke. I know I would feel much better if I quit again but it's def a hard thing to do. I actually only have 1 left in my pack and think I may just try and make it my last today. I smoke about a pack a day currently.

Another day off to wompland for this girl.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'm not a smoker. And for a long time one of my biggest problems with AA was how reliant it seemed much of the membership there was on cigarettes. "If this program works so great, why wouldn't they use the same steps on smoking? Who would want to be a smoker if they didn't have to?" I'd ask myself. I haven't felt this way for a long time and now know that was just my own addiction rationalizing why I didn't need to be at an AA meeting and had nothing to do with their smoking.

This was also back in the day when all my local AA clubs still had huge smoking and tiny nonsmoking sections inside the meetings. I'd come out of meetings smelling like I'd just left a bar. That has thankfully changed over the last few years and the multitude of smokers just have to congregate right outside the door before and after (and sometimes during) every meeting.

Knowing my penchant for addiction, I am grateful every day that I didn't pick smoking up. Both of my parents were heavy smokers. My dad still is. It's quite sad how reliant he is on his cigarettes and I know it will end badly at some point, and he's getting old enough that point is probably very close. I think my mom quit in the years before she died but I'm not 100% sure of that since we only talked on the phone the last few years.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

I smoked when I drank. True to my allow form, I smoked like a chimney. My habit dwindled when the bars no longer allowed smoking inside. My friends and I might sneak smoked outside during a party or something. Over the last few years of my drinking I smoked less and less til I eventually stopped because it made my hangovers unbearable.

Cleaning the garage last month I found a pack stashed away in my secret hiding place. It must have been 3+ years old.

Do you know what surprised me in sobriety? The number of people who DONT drink, smoke or drug, who are fun to hang out with, open minded, and enjoy having a good time.

I take my recovery seriously, and in doing so mull over heavy topics like humility and acceptance, isolation and motivation. But I'm also out there having fun, laughing, learning, enjoying my friends, and having many different cool experiences - all drug and alcohol free. Yet I know I could relapse in the snap of a finger. Recovery is serious work, and worth it, so all I can do is keep working it.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Glee, you've got a great attitude! You keep your recovery front and center in importance. (((Hugs)))!
Old 07-08-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Good morning undies.
Checking in before wompland.
My days are all thrown off after working Monday.
2 weeks sober now and feeling a little better each day.

Hope everyone has a nice day!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Well done on 2 weeks, BFree!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on 2 weeks, BF!