Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 14

Old 06-29-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

DD, I hope today goes well. You've described your close relationship with your employer before, so I'm sure this was a difficult decision and that it will be difficult to give them the news. While it is difficult in the short term, I think this will lead to new opportunities and goals. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

I am officially a free woman. No regrets, although it feels weird as I worked at that job for almost 4 years and it was my first foray into the work world after taking 15 years off to raise my kids. The parting was awkward but ended well, I think.

My stomach has been acting up again. I am eager for a slower schedule where I can detox my mind, body and soul.

That's all I have going on right now folks. I hope this finds you all well, rested and most importantly, sober.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Hi buds! Sorry I have been MIA. I feel like a pinball bouncing around between all my summer activities and the kids. I have been working very closely with my new sponsor and she is fabulous. I am learning so much about myself and how to be in a relationship, how to live based on a set of spiritual principles (kindness, love, honesty, willingness) and identifying my patterns of behavior that lead to my unhappiness. It has been really great and I feel like this sobriety thing has gone to the next level. This is exactly what I had been hoping for in a sponsor.

I am a pretty open person and make friends easily. I tend towards guy friends because there is usually less drama and more goofiness. I am finding that these kinds of friendships actually hurt the romantic relationship for me. I am working on boundaries and saving intimacy for my relationship with AA Guy. By intimacy, I mean the things we discuss. It is a whole new approach for me and it feels good. And honest.

The kids are doing great. Having lots of fun with their friends and going to the pool. Jonah's baseball season wraps up next week and then we'll be totally free in the evenings. I am looking forward to that!

I will be at a lot of Royals games though. 17 home games in July! Since I am a season ticket holder for the full season I get to do a meet and greet with the players this Sunday. I am taking my kids and one of Jonah's best buds. They are beside themselves excited to get to meet their favorite players. Jonah thinks Moustakis walks on water so he really wants a picture with him!

DD - glad to hear the job quitting went without drama. What's next for you?

WD - congrats on your milestone! I was thinking October is not too far away for us. Almost two years. Holy cats!

Love you guys! XOXO
Old 06-30-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Hi, Cyndi! Great to hear from you!! Any word on your grandma? I am jealous of your sponsor relationship, honestly. I have always wanted an older, wiser woman to guide me and inspire me.

I plan on staying home with my kids for the rest of the summer. This may be the last summer my college guy is home with us. Also the three older kids are so busy with jobs and sports, that my youngest has been passed off like a pawn. That was a big impetus for me to quit as I hated having her feel that way. After everyone gets situated into their school year in the fall, I plan to do a job search. This time, I want it to be in a more creative field.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Administrator

enjoy the summer DD - and everyone

D
Old 07-01-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

DD - that is a great plan. I love the idea of finding something creative to do. If I had it all to do over again as far as a career goes it would either be something in the arts (teacher maybe) or as a person who reads novels - like a proof reader. Anyway, maybe at some point I'll get to make that change.

I completely forgot to update on my grandma, I'm sorry! She has had a miraculous turnaround. I mean, guys. I thought she was dying that day or a couple days later. She is on her own and doing great. Breathing sounds better than ever. I don't know. The day it happened I sat in my car and thought I am so not ready to lose her. Since then I have been spending what time I can with her and just listening to her. I ask her advice on things I don't even need input on just to learn more about her. I am so thankful for this extra time. It means a lot to me for you guys to ask about her. Thank you!

I wish you could find a mentor too! This woman has changed my life. I finally feel like I am learning how to be happy on my own. Like my own single functioning unit that is not driven by reaction and emotion...it is so peaceful. I still have bad days and bad stuff that happens but I am learning how not to add to that chaos. Lots of letting go. I am so not good at that. LOL

Where is WD hiding out?

Do you all have big plans for the weekend?

XOXO
Old 07-02-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

That is great news about your grandma, Cindy. That reminds me about a book that I just finished. It is called Dying to Be Me by Anita Moorjani. It is the real account of her near death experience of Stage 4 cancer, of which now she is completely cured. Her message to everyone is to love yourself, trust in and surrender to the Universe and fill your days with laughter, no worrying.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to hear about your grandma Cindy.
Sounds like a great book DD

have a great weekend everyone

D
Old 07-03-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee and DD!

I'll have to check that book out, DD. Sounds inspirational!
Old 07-06-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cynderino View Post
Where is WD hiding out?
Just chillin'.

Camping trip over the holiday weekend with family friends. It wasn't blazing hot and it didn't rain (much) ... which means it was a win!

Entering a nice lull now where my kids' sports are dialed down a bit ... at least until school begins. Maybe I'll have time to do "my" stuff!!
Old 07-06-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
Maybe I'll have time to do "my" stuff!!
I keep waiting for that time too! Hard to find...

Glad you are back and camping was a success!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

GAH! I hate it when my peacefulness gets messed with!

5 days of go go go with the younger kids, snotty text from the estranged teenaged one and insanity at work is all it takes apparently. I wish I could get to a place where those things didn't cause me to feel bad inside. Maybe that never happens. I know they don't bother me for as long or as much as they used to and I am grateful in that regard.

How are you guys doing? Anything new??

XOXO
Old 07-08-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I've gotten better Cindy - it took a while to reach a state of peace as my default tho...

hang in there

D
Old 07-08-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Cindy, I am right there with you. The first week off of work after I quit my job felt great to be organized and home and relaxing, but this week I feel a little bored, anxious and a little lost, if I am honest. My ex-boss and I have had a few weird texts and she didn't pick up my call on her birthday. I guess we are still figuring out what this relationship is going to be. We have had house painters here all week (ugh, living in a fish bowl) and while I am loving the results, I am again seeing that happiness doesn't come from externals. Finally, the kids and I all had dental appointments today and the results were not good. We are not going to be winning any awards for dental hygiene family of the year and we will be sinking a lot of money into fillings. So, like you, I am in a little bit of a funk. I try to remind myself that this funkiness always passes, I try to keep things in perspective, try not to compare myself and my summer to my neighbor's family who are travelling in Rome right now and just try to stay in the moment. If all else fails, like the beginning of my sobriety, go to bed early!
Old 07-09-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Hugs, DD! That sounds like a lot going on!
Old 07-15-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Hi guys! Hope all is well. Things are fine here. I still feel a little out of sorts. My husband and I were talking the other day and we were saying that for the last few years we were in the midst of major changes, getting our finances back in order, finally settling into our house and community and even the last few months we have been doing house projects. Now that the major dust has settled, it just feels weird. Good, but weird. I liken it to how we all seemed to feel around our 1 year mark in sobriety. All of the "major biggies/hurdles" of sobriety were complete and it really is all about staying present in the moment. Simple, but not easy.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Now that the major dust has settled, it just feels weird. Good, but weird. I liken it to how we all seemed to feel around our 1 year mark in sobriety. All of the "major biggies/hurdles" of sobriety were complete and it really is all about staying present in the moment. Simple, but not easy.
Great analogy. As I've gotten older (or is it "as I've matured"?!) I've gotten better at being content with just being and not feeling the need to rush from goal to goal. Sometimes you do need for the dust to settle ... to catch your breath ... and to take the time to look around before taken that next step.

I'm going to be off-line for a time as tomorrow is the beginning of a family vacation at the beach. We're all looking forward to getting away ... and hopefully unplugged! I'll check in from time to time to see how the two of you are doing, but I probably won't post. I'm not very good at posting via my phone!

Have a great week Tobers!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Have a great VayKay, Whodey!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Have a great vacation, WD! I am actually leaving on vacation tomorrow too. Will be in Cali for a little while then Florida. Can't wait to not think about work for a while!

XOXO
Old 07-16-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bon voyage guys

D