Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 39

Old 03-31-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

So. Much. Going. On!

Happy belated birthdays, 1day, seraphina, and gilmer's grandkidlet!!

Venus, I'm glad you got your place sorted out, I'm confused you have to get inspected? That has to be nerve-wracking!

North, I hope you are doing better with your class and students... I learned an important little tip from a friend and former coworker who now teaches in "juvie." Her students kept asking her for bath and body works lotion. She thought it was banned, but one guard erroneously said it was ok. So being the cool person she is, she brought some in for them. Turns out it is in fact banned, the "kids" got caught, and this lotion is NOT used for dry skin there. At least not dry hands. Well, not directly.... She learned her lesson and has a great prank prepared for them at April fools. Moral of the story: don't give your students lotion!

Duff, you'll be fine with the luncheon, don't let it go crazy. I hate planning events, I don't have many but it's my least favorite thing about the job. Blech.

Speaking of events, yes we picked a beach. It's the same beach a lot of people get married at, and now I know why. That town is very cool about it. The next town north has a teeny beach surrounded by cliffs and we thought it would be perfect. They banned weddings! I didn't know they could to that, but there you have it. So... May 30, del mar, invitations to out at the end of the week. I addressed the envelopes last night. Tonight, we finish the insert that is apparently very low class but my sister says it's ok. the only two things we want are one: to get married on the beach. Two: to have dinner at the same restaurant on the beach I took j the firs time she came to Cali with me. I'd love it if family joins us, but we can't afford to pay for them. After he flights and everything, we can barely afford us. Soooo our choices are a: go into debt and buy them dinner, b: invite them as an option but be clear we can't pay, and include menu/pricing link, or c: don't tell them and slink off without them.

We can't do a, b is apparently super low class (according to the internet), and c: is wrong on every level. So were going with and hope the internet doesn't understand my family.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

There's nothing wrong with being frank!

I was once invited to my old friend's ordination, and there was a steak dinner afterward which I was also invited to. Everybody ate and was merry--then the bill came, and it turns out everybody was expected to pay their own way! That would have been OK if the place had taken credit cards--but they didn't! So my priest pal had to beg his very suspicious and unpleasant friend to pay cash to cover me and my son.

I would have been happy to pay--I understand not being able to finance a big shindig--but I WISH I HAD BEEN TOLD!

I think many will come, even if they have to pay their own way, WeHav. They will be honored that you want to include them in your big day!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

hi Marchers----I'm going to put a puzzle together today---now how's that for excitement? I put up the card table so, this may sound silly but, I'm looking forward to it. and can't you just see it. I will get started and then get bored. Oh gosh, I hope not --cause then I also need to do some spring cleaning and I'm not ready to tackle that.
Well you guys have a great day---
hugs to you
Babs
Old 03-31-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Thanks gilmer! I'll trust you and my sister over ***** answers any day! It had us stressed there for a bit. J was worried that my family would think she's a cheapskate. But my family knows it costs a lot to see them every year. How you feeling in the new meds, gilmer girl?

Babs, a puzzle sounds like a fine way to spend the day! Have a fun, safe, sober, boredom free day. Maybe get a walk in there somewhere? I'm not sure what the weather is like in your neck of the woods, but it's a gorgeous day here.

I'm gonna try and hang here more as time allows, I'm starting to get kind of stressed out. Exciting stuff happening, but it's really starting to sink in that I'm moving my stuff into storage, giving up my apartment, getting married, moving into j's house while we look for a house, we are all moving again at some time into a new to us house that is yet to be determined, j's best friend/housemate/soon to be my housemate (we Weill definitely have our own spaces, long story but it's a good thing) wants to throw us an Ohio wedding reception the weekend after we get back, which is the last weekend before my crazy summer camps start, I will have eight weeks of crazy camps, somewhere in there is the move... And my uncle and cousinephew wand to visit this summer from la. Sometime in the middle of camps. And we haven't a clue if well be in the house or a new one. Or moving. Thankfully, my uncle and the boy and I are very close, and uncle and I have seen each other in every state of moving or preparing to move or whatever. We've follows each other around the country. Of course knowing that doesn't help j any, she wants to be a great host.

I didn't edit that jumble of crazy 'cause that's how it's flying around in my brain! Sorry if I'm making anyone's head hurt!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

(((We))) - stressful times and very happy ones, too! I vote with Gilmer and your choice. I think it's better to let people know in advance. If anyone is offended, they probably aren't people you want to be close to. I think it's a different issue with a very large wedding where lots of people who aren't close to the couple are invited. An intimate very special wedding like yours is a different matter altogether. There are positive ways to phrase it that shouldn't offend those close to you. Trying to pay for something you can't afford is, imho, a lousy way to start a marriage :-). I wish we could be there to celebrate with you and j! So think of us as being there with you in spirit!
Old 03-31-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers It's a little grey, a little damp and a bit of a white sky in paradise but that's fine. Thanks Toots, my shoulder and upper back are doing much better, I keep remembering to stretch and it feels better.

Babs your puzzle sounds like a fine way to spend some time, stretching the mind a little, quiet enjoyment, a sense of contentment -- sounds good.

Where is Trachy? V how are you going?

Wehav you have educated me this morning. I was wondering how you could get married on a beach in Ohio (which I know is in the middle up north of the States) and looky here ...!

Have a good day peeps.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

(((We))) Of course you're a little anxious. This all brings back memories of my own engagement. I survived & so will you . You're never going to make everyone happy so do what is right for the only two people who matter here, you & J. I would not be even the slightest bit offended or think it rude to pay for my own meal -- isn't it done more and more now a days anyway??

And I'm with Sass, you'll have all of us there with you.

Babs, a puzzle sounds like fun! I'm not very good at them myself but some members of my family are passionate puzzlers.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey!

Going fine. Just tired. 15 straight days working. Can't wait for this three day weekend.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Wehav on the reception

Originally Posted by wehav2day View Post
Tonight, we finish the insert that is apparently very low class but my sister says it's ok. the only two things we want are one: to get married on the beach. Two: to have dinner at the same restaurant on the beach I took j the firs time she came to Cali with me. I'd love it if family joins us, but we can't afford to pay for them. After he flights and everything, we can barely afford us. Soooo our choices are a: go into debt and buy them dinner, b: invite them as an option but be clear we can't pay, and include menu/pricing link, or c: don't tell them and slink off without them.

We can't do a, b is apparently super low class (according to the internet), and c: is wrong on every level. So were going with and hope the internet doesn't understand my family.
The Internet is an idiot if that's what it says.

We the people that love you want to be with you and J and share your day. I've been to plenty of weddings where guests contributed to dinner, as long as it's affordable then what's the problem?

I'd include a little menu card with options A and B and a set price, guests indicate their preference and pay at a nominated account. You express your thanks at the wedding -- that's beautiful and dignified.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Hi Trach! Hope you get some rest soon.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Hi all!

Wehav - a low-key beach wedding sounds grand. My girlfriend and I have had some preliminary discussions about the type of wedding we want. I am cool with just going down to city hall and signing the papers. She is not lol. But like you, we alone would have to cover the cost of an entire wedding without family help. And the rings/honeymoon. I guess I should start saving now. :roll eyes:

Things are well as usually. A bit stressful at work, but nothing I can't handle.

So with the new sober year rolling over, I've made some life decisions. Starting to cook again a couple of months ago has been great. I had been consciously avoiding activities that I associated with drinking, which, in reality, was pretty much everything. I used to drink a LOT when cooking. Amazing I never hurt myself or others. But being comfortable again in the kitchen has made me realize I don't have to keep avoiding some of the other things I associated with drinking.

Truth is, I miss my music. Sure, I've still been listening to stuff at least 3-4 hours a day. But I miss writing music. I miss DJ'ing. I miss being creative and passionate.

My girlfriend is headed out to LA in a few days for her masters degree residency. I see her passion for TV/firm writing and how much she wants to pursue it. Honestly, it makes me a bit jealous because I basically abandoned my creative outlet because I always drank/used drugs whenever I wrote music or spun records. Hell, I used to get paid in drugs in alcohol when I would DJ at raves years back.

So like I said, things have been going well at work. I got $400 in Amazon gift card bonuses last month so I spent the money upgrading my studio and DJ stuff. I have a new toy that lets me use vinyl records to control digital music on my computer. I bought a new keyboard and midi controller for my studio. I've been having a blast.

I really want to make this third year of sobriety about pursuing what I love. Not with any expectations but just because I enjoy it and it makes me feel good. As my sponsor always stresses, "look for positive ways to self-soothe."

Without further adieu, a few pictures of my latest exploits:

Upgraded recording studio

IMG_0276.jpg
Old 03-31-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Upgraded DJ booth

IMG_0281.jpg
Old 03-31-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Pan-seared pork loin with roasted potatoes and sautéed rainbow swiss chard in a shallot/butter reduction

IMG_0265.jpg
Old 03-31-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Shepherd's Pie

IMG_0271.jpg
Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Baked gnocchi and spring salad with champagne vinaigrette

IMG_0279.jpg
Old 03-31-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

And the pièce de résistance

IMG_0283.jpg
Old 03-31-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Great to hear how well you are doing, DD. It looks like you are finding ways to pursue sober hobbies. You sound calm and clear and that's all good :-)
Old 04-01-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

I'm quiet because I hurt myself yesterday.
Had a fall while working; badly bruised shins, swollen ankle and a bit of a black eye.
I'll be back when I get it together. Love to all. ♥
Old 04-01-2015, 01:44 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  
Administrator

do you think maybe you should get yourself checked out V?
D
Old 04-01-2015, 01:46 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Nah...just bruises and stuff Dee. I'm sore, but I will be fine in a day or so.

Thank you for caring. ♥