Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 44

Old 03-03-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

How true Sass---thanks----it doesn't go away---we have to put priorities in
our lives. and being sober is one of them.

Babs
Old 03-03-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
I'm going to simply press go and enjoy the ride on just my side of the street.

Go! I can get positively twisted with worry and anger over the journeys other people are taking. Thanks for the reminder to stay focused on my own ride.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:37 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Originally Posted by LonelyShadow View Post
I'll keep it brief today -

- Rang the anxiety counsellors and left a message, they will get back to me soon.

- Been reading Allen Carr's book, finding it fascinating so far, very helpful.

- Doing a free Personal Training regime for my sister who wants to get in shape for a friend's wedding

Day 7, feeling good. Still moving forward, still climbing that mountain.

Peace and strength all
nice work you've cracked out of the gate like a racehorse!!!

v
Old 03-04-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

hi Undies---going out for lunch today with some girls I use to work with. It will be fun and they both are drinkers but, I won't have to worry about it ===cause it's a lunch thing. looking forward to it.
Have a great day everyone.

Babs
Old 03-04-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hi undies
Quick check in before womp. I Will have to catch up later
Hope everyone has a good day!
Old 03-04-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
. . . I simply remind myself that sober is far and away so much better. My addiction won't disappear no matter how hard I wish it could. It is no longer important because the benefits of being sober are so great :-)
Isn't it amazing when that magical moment arrives!!!!!!!

The Best.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Good Morning, Undies.

Enjoy this day.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Woke up today really early, full of energy. Lovely bright blue sky, birds tweeting, the works. Felt fantastic to be back in the land of the living again.

Doctors tomorrow which I am a little apprehensive about but I've written down what I need to say and I hope he'll be pleased I took it on myself to arrange to speak to the anxiety/depression service, I guess from the doctor I need a check up on the physical side of things and to discuss if he feels any medication may be helpful. I've been very resistant to the idea of medication in the past but the way I see it now, if it helps then it helps. If it doesn't then it doesn't. What have I got to lose?

A few unexpected sneak attacks from the AV today but as usual, recognised It for what It is and ignored It, got on with what I had to do and hey presto it was gone.

A friend of mine told me he's in a really, really bad place at the moment, I was glad I was sober and alert to support him and tell him what he needed to hear to pick himself back up.

Put my sister through her paces at the gym, Grade A* student, I'm sure she'll hit her targets. She's lost a kilo already!

Hope everyone is well today,

Peace and strength
Old 03-04-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've got a very sound and healthy attitude, LS!

And good for your sister! Maybe you can light a fire under me now!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

You sound well, LS.

Hope things go well at the doctor's tomorrow; let us know.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Thanks Gilmer When it comes to training and exercise you don't need a fire under you, you need the fire inside you! Fuel the fire!

Thanks SL I will update you all on how the appointment goes, I'm glad I will be able to tell him I'm be 10 days without a drink and show him I really am working hard at this. I'm more apprehensive about the appointment on Monday,

Anxiety about going to see an anxiety counsellor?

Really is a feedback-loop isn't it?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LonelyShadow View Post
Thanks Gilmer When it comes to training and exercise you don't need a fire under you, you need the fire inside you! Fuel the fire!

Thanks SL I will update you all on how the appointment goes, I'm glad I will be able to tell him I'm be 10 days without a drink and show him I really am working hard at this. I'm more apprehensive about the appointment on Monday,

Anxiety about going to see an anxiety counsellor?

Really is a feedback-loop isn't it?
Anxiety can be the root of so many problems; the meeting is going to be okay (promise).
Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Hi undies
Another day of womping. Grateful to be sober and for all of you.
Have a good day!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Have a good wompday, BD!!!!

Good morning/afternoon, Undies.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

BF, thank you for your short and very sweet message. I echo your sentiments.

Babalouski, how was lunch with your former co-workers?

Glee, I get that point about getting twisted about others and their journey. I'm trying to catch myself when I find that my thoughts serve little good to myself or others. I'm grateful for the Hazelton thought for the day last Saturday and the AA meeting where we discussed humility and the pointlessness of winning a disagreement. I wonder how many times I played point-counterpoint in life and the outcome wasn't victory...just a loss of serenity?

Sask, I like your point about helping others. I remember a difficult time I was having between my ears somewhere in the first few months of sobriety. I was reading the Newcomers threads and saw a post about the obsession of self...exactly my issue at the time. A respondent suggested that they bake some cookies and take them to a nursing home. Haha, I thought what a great idea. I'm not much of a baker, but, went and bought cookies to accomplish that task. Turns out that they could not accept food, sadly I understood why. However, the act itself got me out of my obsession with self and able to refocus.

I turned 21 months sober a couple days ago. I actually forgot about it until I was texting with a former Undie with slightly more sober time than I do that evening. We talked about feeling sober down to our bones. Funny thing, I read my signature the next morning and it dawned on me that I need to search for a new one. I think that I have it, just need to ask the author if they don't mind my using it.

Anyway, here it is:
"I've been through all this before,’ he says to his heart."
“ ‘Yes, you have been through all this before,’ replies his heart.
‘But you have never been beyond it!' "
Paulo Coelho’s, Warrior of the Light

It made such sense when I found it. I had stayed sober for extended times quite often. Eleven and a half years, 16 months, 13 months...etc. Yet, for some reason or another I would find myself back at square one again and again. WHY?

Simple answer really. AA made me realize that recovery, not sobriety, needs to be a way of life and drinking was but one symptom of my disease of alcoholism. I have made a commitment to grow my recovery physically, emotionally and spiritually.

Someone pointed out that to be grateful while fixing a flat in sub zero temps on the side of a highway at night after having just been to 2 meetings with as heavy a heart as I have felt in years from the loss of a bestie to this f'ed up disease...you must be Spiritually Fit. I never thought of myself as having come that far in recovery till that moment.

I'm not as proud as I am grateful for feeling sober in my bones. One thing for sure though...I am past any point in sobriety/recovery that I have ever been in the past...including the decade plus of not drinking time.

Consequently, I need a new signature...FOR THAT I AM HAPPY!!

Last point, I've said this often in the past...but I just want to reiterate, my points reflect only MY experience, strength and hope. I love that here on SR I am exposed to a variety of recovery methods and have learned much from all of you. - Thanks

Enjoy the day, Undies.

Carlos
Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

The doctor's appointment went well he said he's relieved to see me looking so well.

According to the questionnaires I filled out I do have a problem with anxiety, he said he's glad I phoned the counselling service as that's who he would of recommend anyway.

He doesn't want to go down the medication route just yet, he said beta-blockers work wonders for some people but as I am very athletic and my job depends partly on physical performance he wouldn't like to put me on those. There are other medications available but he wants to see how I get on with CBT first and we'll meet in four weeks to see how I'm doing.

As for alcohol this is day 10 sober and feeling good. Little bit of AV activity but quickly shut it down.

Hope everyone is well out there
Peace and strength
Old 03-05-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

That sounds like good news to, LS!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

Since getting sober I've become increasingly aware, when I have questions or concerns of the role my intuition plays in finding answers. I listen to myself, to what makes me comfortable, to signs in the universe, and from that hear the right thing to do. The answers can come from any number of sources - from advice other people share, a song on the radio, a passage that I read, or a random inspiration.

What a gift to be humble enough to ask the universe for answers. It has provided me with an intensity of purpose and a call to be gentle and kind, to love others well, and to take good care of myself.

It's sweet to see my parents breathe a sigh of relief that FINALLY I see myself as they see me - flawed but lovable, strong and worthy.

Some folks' journeys end when they put the bottle down, and that is perfectly alright. For me, stopping drinking was just the beginning of MY journey. Learning how to love myself is the biggest lesson I didn't know I needed to learn.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

LS great job reaching out for support with your anxiety. Sounds like you'll have some good options available.

Carlos love that quote you posted!

GF I agree my journey also just began once putting the bottles down.

I spoiled myself with new bedding and pillows ect. So if I don't make it to womp tomorrow it's probably bc I won't want to get up! Looking forward to a nice night of sleep with my dog next to me.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

LS I am glad you appreciate getting support for your anxiety, and that your concerns were taken seriously.

BeFree good to hear of you spoiling yourself, you should do it more often, I love snuggling under new bedding!

Glee, we rarely have the same perspective of ourselves as others, good or bad. Odd how we are critical about our bad points and allow negative people to reinforce those opinions, yet rarely allow a persons positive thoughts to reinforce the best in us.
We should spend today thinking only positive thoughts about ourselves and others.

On an unrelated note,
I don't normally do this, I am not religious exactly but I do believe in the ability to use the force of energy for good, so; my best friend and the loveliest person in the whole world is recovering today from a mastectomy she had yesterday. I'd appreciate healing vibes for her, in whatever form, thoughts, prayers etc. she is one of life's good people and didn't deserve this on top of the year she has had, so thank you.
I will be seeing her later today.