Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 38

Old 03-02-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers How nice to see both BePresent and Jtampa, great stuff.

I am a lot happier today, I'm quite used to light burns but this one was pretty awful, I won't go into details because I'm squeamish as I'm sure some of you are. The medical progress with burn treatments and bandages is awesome, I was very lucky to be taken straight in despite a few people waiting in Casualty.

North you do find the most apt images!

Have a good day peeps.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

North, I enjoyed that pic so much :-)
Old 03-02-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Ugh marcher I hate burns!! Glad you're gonna be better quickly. I've got some good scars from my restaurant days. But the last few little reminder scars are from cooking drunk. Come to think of it, I haven't burned myself in two years! Just think how much quicker you reacted sober marcher, if you used to be anything like me in my drinking "prime."
Old 03-02-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Right when I got to Tonga, A Tongan woman, 1st day at a restaurant, had never seen a deep fryer, she dropped a spoon into it and got in to her elbow before she realized how hot it was. I was there for a year and never saw her without bandages after that.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
I haven't been around because I stuck the inside of my right arm to the oven when it was preheated. I'm ok but it was a hospital job.
OUCH!!!! That's a bopped noggin and a burnt arm now love...no more injuries for you please!

Glad you're OK.

Love to all the Marchers. ♥
Old 03-03-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Ouch Marcher (((R))) our posts crossed yesterday so Ive only just read about your burnie booboo, big hug and kiss to magic it away.
I used to burn myself regularly on the oven racks and leaning across the iron. At one point, looking at my arms you would swear I self harmed. Fortunately the damage was skin deep and I have very few scars.

North I woke to snow this morning can I join the big boy cłub? ( ok it was only a centimetre or two, but I bet it caused some disruption!! )

Sass I am so happy to see that you have dived head first into your new community, it's great you are getting a good taste of everything and deciding what you want more of.

Hi Babs, how are you doing today? Sometimes in the early days I went to bed early to dodge the cravings. Short term it helps, but what are you planning long term?

JTampa, thank you for dropping by, it's great to see people doing so well! Visit more often if you can

Must dash as I have to get the bus to work today, no way will my merc get up out drive with the itty bitty bit of snow and ice!!
Old 03-03-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers from a grey still Paradise. I keep looking for the big blue autumn skies but they must still be in preparation mode.

I hope you northern people are surviving your long winter. One of my young friends is currently flying to New York for six months work -- she's in the art curation field and has picked up six months with an independent museum. She is half American so she has spent a lot of time in the States but she was not expecting frigid temperatures in March. She has her Australian winter (wool) coat packed but she says she will be buying a down one on landing!

Babs how are things going with you?

Have a good day peeps.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

And that Marcher is why I don't cook....often anyway. I hope it heals quick and doesn't hurt anymore.

Happy birthday to everybody who has one. Whether 2 years or 2 weeks.

I don't have much going on. Just work. I'm tired of the cold I can tell you that. Oh well, what ya do?

I'm about as low key and mellow as you can get. Got nothing to complain about. I can't believe I'm even saying that. Haha.

Later!
xoxo
Old 03-03-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Sounding good, shoes!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Hi Marchers:

Marcher13, I am very grateful for you. Big old love to you.

Toots, consider this your invite to the Big Boys’ Club. Aren’t you glad you’re not in Boston this winter?

Well, tonight was the first class at the prison. I go through three different security gates to get to my classroom after being scanned, hand-stamped, and searched. Majority of my guys are in for homicide, one without the possibility of parole. I am happier not knowing the details of what led to that particular sentence.

Very relieved to say I did not wet myself, faint, or burst into tears. I decided just to be myself (as Oscar Wilde points out, you might as well be yourself, everyone else is taken) and teach like I always teach, and it was fine. I was going to make a “captive audience” joke but decided against it. Literally a tough crowd.

Big love to all Marchers!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Glad all went well North!!!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I just want to say that our usual spirit has come though in the support given to the Marchers of 2015. Humbles me to know you lot.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Northlander View Post
Very relieved to say I did not wet myself, faint, or burst into tears. I decided just to be myself (as Oscar Wilde points out, you might as well be yourself, everyone else is taken) and teach like I always teach, and it was fine. I was going to make a “captive audience” joke but decided against it. Literally a tough crowd.
LOL on the captive audience joke....and oh yes, I'm pretty sure it was a smart move on your part to keep that one to yourself North.

I love that Oscar Wilde quote...it is my absolute favourite.

Glad to hear that all is well in your world shoes.

Love to all of the Marchers.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

I'm glad things went well, North, and that you didn't faint! I'm sure that soon the higher parts of everybody's personalities personalities will begin to show through and the class will become a cohesive unit! That will be a huge accomplishment! I think it is so cool that you've taken this on! It must be daunting, for sure!

All is well for me, too! Everything is totally normal--no juicy anomalies to write about! I have been quiet lately because I just haven't had anything to report (or complain about...).
Old 03-04-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Gilmer, I'm happy to hear life is going well for you. Amazing how much less drama we have in our sober lives :-)

North, good for you for doing this work at the jail. If you can help change the life of even one inmate, that would be a huge accomplishment. Glad you restrained yourself about the "captive audience" though it would probably have been hilarious to be a fly on the wall if you did say that!

Shoes, you have come such a long way in the past 2 years. It's amazing to look back and see the differences.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Ha ha, Sass, you say I've got less drama! Well, now I'm generating some! Nature abhors a vacuum!

I've actually had kind of a flat and unenthusiastic mood, too--that's why I can't think of anything creative to reply to anyone else.

I keep track of the sobriety milestones on the 24-hr. thread, and always as I thanked people through the day, I was always alert to give an encouraging comment as I read individual posts.

Recently I find myself very dully just giving thanks. I've been dull all over. The only place I show any life is over at the Whiners' Fitness thread, where I chronicle my new and outlandish ways to avoid exercise!

I'm not depressed or anything, and I love SR! It is a definite lifeline for me! I just want to get back in the groove soon! I derive joy from contributing!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Gilmer, possibly the late winter blahs? As the saying goes, it's always darkest before the dawn. And you've had your dad to care for and even when things are relatively quiet, I wonder if we are emotionally taking a break and gathering strength for the next round?
Old 03-04-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

You're probably right. I'm sure it's just a lull in the typical up and down cycle that threads go through.

You know in groups, when the leader asks a question and nobody answers and an awkward pause ensues? I just have to babble something to break the silence. I'm "that person." (I've learned to curb that impulse quite a bit, but it still pops up now and then).
Old 03-04-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Hello Marchers---I too am pretty mellow today---Nothing to complain about--just happy to be sober one more day and plan on getting some catch up time with some friends and really looking forward to it. Have a great day everyone.
hugs to all of you

Babs
Old 03-04-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Gilmer, Shoes, Babs: I too am enjoying the gifts of recovery: drama free, mellow life... all is good. I also do not feel the need to people please or react impulsively - so unless I really am internally motivated to post or respond thoughtfully, I have the maturity and presence of mind to read other's posts, and by hitting the thanks button, let you all know that I have read what you have written and am grateful you are a part of my life.