Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 7

Old 03-04-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

I am definitely getting to the Flower Show before I leave on Sunday, LBrain!

The owner of the house I'm renting arranged for someone to come and clear the ice and snow from the steps and sidewalk, but the got the house wrong and did the empty house next door! I found a snow shovel in the basement so I went out and did it myself! I feel very accomplished.

The weather hasn't stopped me getting out and about. I went to the Italian Market today in fact. It's not very far from where I am living. My internet friend and I have had a lot of fun. There is a whole community of ladies from all over the world, although mostly they are in the US. Over the years everyone has met at least one other person. Several of them have been to Australia and I met a bunch of them last time I was in the US in 2006. Next year I will probably go to New Orleans and a bunch of us will meet up there.

I was going to hire a car to get around and maybe do a road trip, but I'm glad I didn't because I find just being a passenger terrifying driving on the opposite side of the road. I'm enjoying sampling exotic American foods like banana cream pie but I refuse to eat a philly cheesesteak. That liquid cheese stuff looks like a heart attack.

I have found a few places who make proper Italian style coffee as opposed to American style coffee (lighter roast, less bold in flavour). Although I will gladly drink any caffeinated beverage that is offered to me.

I have been introduced to Wawa and Giant. After meeting Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme is dead to me. My donut research is not complete yet as we still have to go to Federal Donuts.

Tonight we went to 'Nerd Nite' for a series of talks. It was held in a bar but as I was with my sober friend it didn't matter. We went to a diner (just like in American movies!) afterwards for coffee and dessert, then I came home and couldn't find anything on the 100+ stations to watch on tv :-)
Old 03-05-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

yo TL! glad you are enjoying your visit. Me and the wife are supposed to go to the flower show on Saturday. I'll look for you - have your umbrella open.

I never understood the liquid cheese thing myself. It's nasty. It's also what they put on nachos around here. It comes in big can and is "liquid" at room temp. You need to see the italian market on a saturday morning in the cold weather. People burning wood and trash in 55 gallon drums on the corners to keep warm. Just like you see in the movies too.

Another fun filled day of snow!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  
waking down

I agree - American cheese is an embarrassment, and liquid cheese is just wrong. I went to a Mexican restaurant in New Mexico, order enchiladas, and they were liquid cheese. I told the waiter I was appalled and couldn't eat that crap, not for $8 and not even for free. It's not food.

Keep checking in JR - you're on the right track.

With all this down time I can't watch TV anymore. Like Tiger, I have 100 channels and nothing to watch except ads. Netflix has kept me sane, but now that I'm off meds I'm reading more. Back to work on Monday. Kind of nervous.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

glad to hear you doing better z, I don't miss having cable at all. If I ever get a real job again with real money, I doubt I will get cable back. Life is so much different without tv.

how's it going up there JR?
Old 03-05-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Back to shoveling snow. The snow plows are unable to keep up with it. Hang in there Zero. The first day back is always a transition. After the first week back it might seem like you never left.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

heck with snow plows, I decided to go for a drive. Made a couple stops to take some pics.
Figured last big snow of year and the kind that stuck to everything. Now it's time to work.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
waking down

You think? Last snow? Sometimes out here we get our biggest snows in April.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

last snow - it's good to think positive,
Old 03-06-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Got both vehicles stuck in the driveway yesterday. The VW had to be towed out.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

well I took out the trash in slippers - it was 3 degrees out there. my sidewalk is covered in thick ice - the runoff that froze. I told wife this AM, withing 18 months I don't want to be here. I'll suffer out one more winter at the most.

Sorry to hear of you getting stuck Vet. If my neighbor didn't drop off his snow blower when he was finished I'd still have a half-way cleaned drive way. The roads here are solid ice and snow. Love it!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
waking down

Hope you're all having a good weekend. I return to work tomorrow for the first time in two months. Half days for a couple of weeks. Kind of nervous. I suspect it will be a bit chaotic for while until I figure out what's been going on. I feel good but tire quickly. Half days will be a good start. Ciao.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes for a smooth transition back to work Zero

D
Old 03-08-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

If you got a kick out of going to Walmart last week, Zero, you're going to love going back to work! You need it. Enjoy. Baby steps, of course.
Daylight savings has thrown me off a bit. Tomorrow will be a challenge dealing with the new clock. And we have a week of above 0 temps, which means some of our 2-3 feet of snow will politely disappear. Which agrees with me. Yea Spring.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

take is slowly zero, don't over exert yourself and enjoy getting back...

It hit 50+ here today. things are melting - good that it melts before the rains come, hate the spring floods...

I got a call a couple hours ago for a job interview on Friday. Nothing special, just a job. But it will be an opportunity to hone my interview skills - something I lack. My attitude is tell me why I should work here, not the other way around.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Hi everyone I'm back!

LBrain - I went to the flower show on Thursday, the 'snow emergency' day! Apparently it was a lot quieter than regular days. I loved it. I could have stayed there all day except for my allergies. I loved seeing all the plants that got prizes, especially the succulents, cactus, terrariums and bonsai. The orchids were amazing too. I loved that some of the entries were by school classes.

I loved all the movie inspired 'scenes'. I think my favourite was Narnia because no matter how old I get I want to find a wardrobe that has a whole other world behind it.

I can understand why retirees move to warmer climes. Those icy streets are a very dangerous fall hazard. I nearly fell down my stairs because I although I looked, I couldn't tell that there was ice on them. It was completely see through, like glass. My landlady organised people to come shovel a few times. I could clear the snow away but I couldn't break the ice.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Good luck with work Zero! Hope it's all going ok.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Welcome back TL. Bet you won't complain about the Australian heat for awhile!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Oh I'll definitely still complain lol!

I enjoyed the cold and the snow, but I couldn't live in a climate like that year round. Plus my neck injury was almost unbearable at times. It was so bad that if I had been at home I would have gone to the ER. I think it was just the cold because now it's in the normal range of painful instead of off the charts.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

glad you made it back safely TL. Now you understand what happened the day I slipped and fell in my driveway - that invisible ice.
I never made it to the flower show. Mrs had a lot of school work to do so flower show was canceled. We have longwood gardens for the spring anyway.

It has reached 50 degrees here three days in a row. My wife was excited and exclaimed, "10 DEGREES, IT'S SPRING!" the first day.

Hope everyone is doing well.

edit: OH BTW TL, Tim Hortons in Canada has dunkin and krispy creme beat by a mile - but I haven't been around one since corporate america took over.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  
waking down

Ha! I was bad and ate donuts today. They were disgusting. Working half days. Stronger every day.