Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 14

Old 12-19-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Hey Guys,

I've had a funny feeling lately, sort of a craving that I haven't experienced in months. I'm guessing it was an AL craving, although I'm not too sure.

To be on the safe side, I pulled out my trusty bottle of L-Glut- and once again, in virtually minutes, any craving I was feeling was gone.

Folks who have been around here for a while, have, no doubt heard me wax on about the wonders of L-Glutamine as a craving killer, and it still continues to work.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

How you start the holiday time off is usually how it continues. Starting the first day drinking to "unwind" would always lead me to drink the next morning, just a few beers, to keep the regret and anxiety at bay. Then, I would convince my self I could pace it and just celebrate the holidays like everyone else. Blackout every day from that point until going back to work feeling like I was just released from the intensive care unit.

Point being, we are going strong now and have set the sober pace for the holidays. That ball is in motion and we got this. First sober Christmas for most of us.

How about a wake up call? A quick check in and high five today? Find your fire for the big life change you wanted in August. Do not think you are too busy to check in. Everything positive and productive in your life is primarily due to your sobriety.

Do something to reflect on that for a minute. Light a Christmas candle and give thanks for a minute or two. Appreciate being out of the prison. For Pete's sake you can even drive to the store, pass a cop and wave, at ten at night, just to buy the damn candle!

None of us could have done that last year. Just sayin...
Old 12-20-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you Glandon! Keep in mind that it took us years to get to the point where we said 'enough'!

Therefore while an irrevocable decision is a 'revolution', the overall process of becoming alcohol free is an 'evolution'- in thought, act, and experiences.

The team is doing very well facing and winning a number of 'firsts' (as determined points out). That said, some 'firsts' will be, by nature, more difficult than others. Some days won't go as smoothly as we'd like. Some situations may not be as easily handled as we'd like. Some of our own reactions or thoughts may not be as positve as we'd like.

And that's ok. For individually and as a team we've proven that our committment to the life we desire is more powerful and meaningful than any draw of alcohol.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Checking in, feeling good after my surgery. Been thinking about what keeps me focused....no hangovers, being in touch w my body, excelling at work. My surgeries have helped too.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Great news Rah!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Hey guys and girls

Just doing a quick check in, I will do a proper post later on.

Hope everyone is doing well
Old 12-20-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Hey guys and girls

Just doing a quick check in, I will do a proper post later on.

Hope everyone is doing well

PS - sorry for the double post, not sure what happened there
Old 12-20-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Just a quick Hello......Hope everyone is doing well. Pink, let us know how you feel.

My brother is calling me constantly, he does not want a divorce, but she does. I convinced him to call an attorney who represents men in divorce cases.

My stomach is a mess; have not slept; do not feel like wrapping gifts or making cookies; I jump every time the phone rings.....but, I am sober. If I were drinking, I probably would have called the little bitch and let her have it and made everything worse.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Hey team! Just a quick check-in for now.

Grateful to be sober and looking forward to a wonderful holiday break.

Great posts yesterday and today!
Old 12-20-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Checking in, AV battle for a bit while shopping and walking by pubs. Got home and made a fire, still urge surfing. Had about five or six homemade chocolate chip cookies and a dr pepper. Feeling better now. Just chillin.

The struggle was thoughts like, how can I expect to keep sober long term.. Do I want to keep sober long term? Did I have more fun before, minus the hangovers? Do I want to live like this? Who would really care if I drank again? I would probably have more friends... On and on and on...

Played the tape, keeping strong. Just shared to see if you guys are dealing with the same BS. Calling out the AV in public helps. I thought this holiday season was going to be a piece of cake. Got to keep guard up. Thank god for this site and team A!
Old 12-20-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

dtermin way to go on getting through the av there, it plays us at our weak points, and its not easy to play the tape forward. well done my friend xx
Old 12-20-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

today has been a busy Christmas shopping day :-) productive but long. Rah glad to hear you are well. scooter hang in there with your brother, its hard, he feels he can talk to you, all you can do is listen. are you able to talk to your siblings to see if they can support you in this? hope you're ok. here for you xx
glandon glad you went for the LGlut and got rid of the cravings. they come when we don't expect it, you did the right things to get rid. stay strong my friend xx

I have stocked up on shloer today to get through Christmas, I woke up today forgetting my days count for the first time, that's a great sign :-) not letting my guard down though, every day counts.

100 boxes arrived from the courier today so I am packing up ready fpr the move. so far I have 99 empty boxes, 1 half full box, 1 empty box of Turkish delight and a movie on the tele and a pile of stuff around mw. packing is not going well!!! we are npt moving til feb so plenty of time.

hope you are all well my dear friends, much love to you all.

Cute, good to see you buddy, nearly at 2 weeks for you yay :-)

I miss everyone, its quite here nowadays. thinking of everyone xx
Old 12-20-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Hi Team,

I am heart-sick, depressed, weak and lonely. Every time the phone rings I jump and my heart pounds. My brother does not want me to confide in any other family members, he is scared. She has him thinking he is useless because he does not wear a suit and tie to work, that he is holding her back, that a "real man would " this or that. He actually told me today that he is not only afraid of losing his kids, he is afraid he will be homeless if he loses his job. At that, I told him I was ready to get on a plane just to go kick his ass, never mind let her have (another) piece of my mind; that there is no way he will EVER be homeless, and to smarten up.

I did get a weird craving this afternoon, but I don't dare drink - - if I drank, I would pick up the phone and let the s-i-l have it and make everything worse.

Max has been wonderful through this. As I told her in a pm, I have not been this heart-sick since my fiance left me and went back to his ex-wife many years ago. At that time I promised myself I would never care enough about someone or something to get that sick over. That is when my drinking started to escalate.

I am just beside myself. I have done nothing but wander from room to room, take Scooter out for a few walks, wander some more; just waiting for the phone to ring again.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

scooter my sweet, you will get through this. I think you need to make a rule that you will unplug your phone for 1 hour so that you can rest in your own home without being disturbed, just to sit, or read, or bathe, or to dance, whatever you wish. call on friends, can you go for dinner with others, for walks? to keep you busy and supported? may your brother benefit from a gp visit? maybe try something to help his mood / coping? how about you, do you need more support from your doctor, you have a lot to deal with my friend x im sorry to hear of the pain with your ex, it is hard to heal from these things. please do not drink scooter. you have been such a positive inspiration to me, I just know that you can do this. please keep posting and keep safe my dear xxx
Old 12-20-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Good sober evening A-Team. I feel terrible I have been so bad at keeping up lately things have just been non-stop between family and work and taking care of my 84 year old parents and the holiday prep etc etc.
The good (I should say GREAT) news is that I am sober which makes this all doable!! There is no way I would be able to keep it al together (psychologically, emotionally, physically) if I were drinking!!
You are all in my thoughts even if I don't post for a few days know I am thinking about you all !!
Old 12-20-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

chris you are doing fab, and your parents are lucky to have you looking after them :-) good luck with the holiday prep, excellent that being sober, you can juggle all this stuff and keep it together;-) great work sweety xx
Old 12-20-2014, 11:58 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

good morning my fellow soberites :-)
hope you are all safe, well, happy and sober.

today is the winter solstice. the little romantic in me wants to run up to Stonehenge, dance around and get married at dusk with flowers in my hair (I am a hopeless romantic at heart). this means the dark nights will be pulling out again, and the shortest day will be done today, yay, these dark nights seem to impact on my mood a little, so I welcome the lighter nights and longer walks I can have.

today I am relaxing, watching Christmas movies whilst doing a few chores. on days like this I would already have a bottle in the fridge waiting for the earliest socially acceptable time for me to open it, and would be clock watching that time all day. such a prisoner within myself. Its nice for me to actually be in control and to run my own body. today I will be drinking vimto. I may even get crazy and have hot vimto!! woah!!

wishing everyone happiness today, especially scooter, keep that chin up my friend, your furry friends need you:-) xxx
Old 12-21-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that dealing with your brother is so difficult Scooter.

I'm not sure it's entirely fair that he chooses to deal with you and you alone tho.

Have thought about raising this with him?

D
Old 12-21-2014, 12:56 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Morning all from the UK

Been up since six playing lego and helping make the kids breakfast. I am back down to London later for some peace and quiet, lol and a couple more days work before the Xmas break. I have had lots of fun here.

Scooter - I am sorry you are having a rough time. Stay strong. You are right that a drink would make things ten times worse.

Ah yes pink, it's the shortest day. I forgot. I can say that this year I have made the most of the short light we have with early starts and feeling bright and alert.

Nice to see everyone. Back to the lego! I will check in from London later time permitting as I also want to get to an 8pm AA.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:07 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

london I have the most intense urge to leg it to toys r us and buy lego at 10am when it opens and surprise my other half who is still in bed, you are never to old for lego!! thanks for your uplifting post, have a great day, and a safe jouney home xxx

I am off to buy lego :-)