Notices

Class of November 2014 Part 5

Old 12-20-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Checking in, sober. It's Saturday 6:30pm, Most of my drinking friends will have been boozing on for most of the afternoon and many will be continuing into the night. I did get a couple of texts to see where I was, but I'm staying silent and keeping my head down. Sponsor is helping a lot. Now, I'm vegging at home by myself. I'll be hanging around SR for most of the night I think. All the best to everyone.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

I've also been spending more time at home, TopEndChick. There was a big party I was invited to, but felt I couldn't go there at the moment. It would be lots of people I'm not to comfortable around so I was to scared to "self-medicate" my anxiety.

So yesterday I spent most of the evening on Skype, with a person who live in another country and I'm usually nervous to talk to. My standard procedure was to drink wine before I called this person, just to "get the edge off", and then drink "normal amount" in front of this person. However, I usually ended up getting pissed and weird and sometimes over-emotional and loving - or rude and awful. I never could tell in advance how I'd react.

This time I was sober and remember everything I said. No outbursts of any kind. Such a releif.

Wishing you all a great sober weekend!
Old 12-20-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Sober day here also. In transit in Dubai airport. The last time was here was 18 months ago when I had a three hour transit. Just walked past the bar I was drinking in then. I remember it because I had 8 pints of beer in 2 hours that time. That was after getting off the plane hungover. This time it's a coffee and email. Hi to everyone.....
Good job making it though transits! That's a big trigger for me to. Didn't help that I used to have a fear of flying.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Sober day here also. In transit in Dubai airport. The last time was here was 18 months ago when I had a three hour transit. Just walked past the bar I was drinking in then. I remember it because I had 8 pints of beer in 2 hours that time. That was after getting off the plane hungover. This time it's a coffee and email. Hi to everyone.....
Yeah man, way to go. It is a much better use of time, coffee and check on a few emails.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Sober day for me. Hope everyone has good weekend xx
Old 12-20-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Good morning from the east coast of the US, another cold wake up. My dog actually decided he needed to go out and woke me up, I didn't mind as much as past Saturday's when I would be hung over and it would be like 5:00am. Dallow, I total get that phone call thing, I have a sibling who would sometimes call or I would call her and she is a bit out there and the conversation could go anywhere, I would drink before, during, and then after. I love her and all, but she is difficult to handle, unfortunately we don't talk any longer. I use to try to include her in family functions, and fly her in from the west coast and stuff but it never went well and she would most times perceive that I slighted her or something, definitely mot good for sobriety.
UBN - airports are rough, I am going to have to fly to Copenhagen next month, layover in Chicago and then the "long" (nothing like your 13 hour Asian flight) flight to Denmark, the first thing getting on the plane you are offered a drink, I'll have enough days to my credit that I will be good.
Not sure if anyone else notices but either I was just so unaware or am just now waking up, but we are bombarded by alcohol ads and commercials and billboards....on the stair master working out yesterday morning watching TV and there were at least 3 commercial for different types of hard liquor...actually they were pretty funny how they depicted drinking...rulers of the universe with sculpted beautiful bodies doing unbelievable things all while sipping a scotch....nothing like that if they accurately portrayed what it was really like I guess no one would ever be drinking, hahaha. Then on way to work, I am stuck behind a Sam Adams truck plastered with a winter scene and beer, passed by no less then two Bud light trucks and one Coors Light truck - just an observation. Oh yeah, my wife decided that it could hurt to pick up some wine - got home from the performance last night and got the kids to bed and she poured herself a glass of wine, I looked at it and it didn't do anything, but I'll need to be careful.
Somewhat full plate today, the beast is hiding out (probably tried to plant a seed last night that there is wine in the house) and I'm just wondering when it will show its ugly head. I will be prepared. I hope you all have a great Saturday, stay well, stay strong and remember that nothing good comes from alcohol.
Sorry for another rambling email - I never say much too interesting but it helps to get my thoughts out and check in
I appreciate the supportive and encouraging ears!
Oh Applekat - great job on 20 days I believe!! and to everyone else who is succeeding whether it is 1 day or 1 + something days, great work!
Old 12-20-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
Sober day for me. Hope everyone has good weekend xx
Good to hear from you Erratic!
Old 12-20-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Good morning. Another hopeful day... After a great sleep, I have been up for about 3 hours. I feel fresh and energized. Today is my older son's Birthday, and we are celebrating both son's birthday today, younger ones is late November. I will be sober and enjoy them.

Can't enjoy the golden glow this morning . Its raining. But I am excited to enjoy a day full of fun with the boys.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

It's funny...everytime I get some sober time, I become a health freak! Vegetables, fruits, smoothies, vitamins and mineral supplements, omega 3, herbs, excercise....you name it.

I don't know if it's the same for you, I just figured it's part of my addictive personality. Seems like I can't do anything in a balanced way, it's always some kind of excess going on...and I've been displaying some kind of orthorexic behavoir in the past. For example I had to swear to my family I would never start online poker or something, because they are afraid of what would happen.

For now, the obsession is healthier, even though it's a sign I might as well get hooked on something unhealthy again in the future... I guess this aspect of my personality is something to deal with if I want to be able to stay sober for good.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Morning all.

He19 and ubn, glad to hear you made it through those tough spots. Always feel better after they are done but I know how hard those moments are to get through at the time.

Dallow, I'm the same way with the health thing, as if I can somehow make up for the prior damage. And while I have a similar addictive sort of personality, I've not had it hit me for anything other than drink on even close to the same level. But that is just me.

Let's hit Saturday.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

I wish I could addict myself to exercise and good nutrition with the dedication I did to my drinking.

I do understand the switch, of fixating on other things, like health, smoothies, nutrition, when we give up drink. as long as we do not harm ourselves with any of it, I think it is a good way to spend the time we once spent drinking. Right? But yeah, maybe there is a trait of OCD with it, that is part of why many of us drink as well.

I tend to throw myself fully into the current favorite thing I do. Maybe a craft, or a style of cooking, or smoothies, or exercise. But if I lose momentum, I also have a hard time getting back to it.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I'm throwing myself into the quest of making a succulent wreath. I don't know why I'm obsessed with this. Too much Pinterest, too little sleep .

Not drinking. And that's the main thing.

Hiya Dee .
Old 12-20-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Saturday morning... 40 days now! Nothing's perfect
Old 12-20-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Cold day on the east coast, but no urge to drink. Doing well at slightly over 6 weeks of sobriety.

the feelings of anxiety and uncomfortableness seem to be occurring a little less frequently and lasting a shorter amount of time.

it is true, time is the major factor in healing these wounds.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

I have a question, please advise if anyone has experienced this after they stopped drinking.

Sometimes I feel I have forgotten a few moments from few hours ago. But then if I think back, I have not forgotten anything, I can trace back all the events. e.g. earlier today when I got to the car and I felt that I forgot to thank the cashier, after a thought, I realized yes I did. Such examples are so common these days. Is it because I am not used to so many moments and I cannot register them all? Also around many people I am not very comfortable e.g. at the super market, grocery stores etc., could it be earlier I never took notice of all these people at the such places? Also I feel they all are staring at me.

But anyways, I am enjoying the renewed energy. Do not miss the hangover in the mornings.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Okay, I want to drink. My husband is getting on my last nerve. He hasn't done anything wrong. He's just been around the house for three days...and so have I. It's too cold outside to go for a walk.

He is working tomorrow. I need to plan some sort of activity to keep me from buying a bottle of wine and drinking it before he gets home.

I feel like I need a vacation, but that's not going to happen until April.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

OMG, Groundhogday, I just came here to post that my kids are getting on my last nerve. I was thinking exactly those words. We just decorated gingerbread men and they are loud, chatty, hyper, sugared up, of course, and being silly, like healthy, happy kids do. But I am feeling over stimulated and want some peace and quiet. Hubby is out of town. I could get out for an errand(one is old enough to watch the other) but I really want to just go lie down. They will be too loud though.

I would love some wine, but I don't even feel that great. Have a slight headache and my stomach has been just a bit off from not eating all that well. A bottle of wine is certainly not going to help any of that. It doesn't even make sense, but I really want to drink wine right now.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Struggling with similar stuff myself GHD and phoebe. was out with family this morning and got mentally exhausted from it. Got home and just wanted to relax in the bar for a while. Made up an excuse to get out but just wound up walking around for a while and coming home.

So I'm here and I'm sober. But I'm depressed and ready for today to be over.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Last night, I went out and drank a small amount. There is some disappointment that I ruined my streak, but overall I know I had alot of challenges over this past month (not drinking during Thankgiving, work holiday party, etc.). I am glad I didn't get trashed either (but I know anytime I drink I am rolling the dice on that).

Sobriety is still clearly the answer. My life has been exponentially better this past month so I am staying in tonight and going to get myself back on track.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

GHD, Phoebe, TX, add me to the "family is driving me nuts" list. I had a pretty nice day with my older son, Christmas shopping and not getting too stressed. My husband is grilling me nonstop about the things we still need to get for people, he's worried the stores will run out of wrapping paper, then in the next breath he's asking me to call my niece to see if she wants to decorate a gingerbread house, then calling to see if he can squeeze in a quick haircut. Serenity NOW. Luckily I ordered Thai takeout so that will distract me when it arrives. Hang in there, everyone...