Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 13

Old 11-23-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Hey Team! Just checking in before a long work day.

Grateful to be sober today.

Happy to be drinking a hot vanilla latte at my fave local coffee house. Great music and fantastic coffee - fantastic way to start a working Sunday.

Happy to have steady employment.

Happy that my kids are healthy and enjoying life.

Happy to attend my daughter's orchestra concert yesterday sober and hangover free.

Happy to not care if other school parents are judgemental and snub me because of my past.

Happy to be at peace after a traumatic month of divorce court.

Happy to have a positive outlook even though may be losing my house.

Happy to be clear minded without guilt or shame.

Happy to know all of you wonderful people on TeamAugust who continue to inspire me and help me to not feel alone in this process!

Old 11-23-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Choobie View Post
My day went very well-my class and presentation went extremely well. I met my friend and it was a mixed bag. The first thing she said when she sat down is "I'm in hell. I drank four glasses of wine and took a sleeping pill last night. I'm not sure if I texted someone or if it was a dream." She was hungover, and looked really rough. That was pretty much me just a few months ago. I told her right away that I quit drinking (again) and that it was to end nights like those and the endless guilt. (I've spent many years sober before-so it's no shock for anyone at all) She thought it was too precious to give up-but she mentioned how awful she felt a bunch of times. I was going to find some new pants while shopping with her, but she has gained so much weight I didn't bring it up. She kept asking how I lost so much weight and she kept not liking the answers! Her life is going so poorly-all of it so shortsighted-all because she wants to feel good right now-right this instant-even though she's miserable from the last feeling good right now. Gosh, but I am glad I quit drinking! A few months ago I saw her life as something to envy. But what I really wished was that my life was different. And now it is.

Thanks guys, for your support today! It helped a bunch!
Choobie While I am sorry your friend hasn't made the heroic transition that you have (yet), I wonder if she went home thinking about you and your marvelous new life. You said that she didn't like your answers to the question regarding your weight loss (which I am sure was because of your sobriety), but while she didn't like them, she heard them. You never know, your great witness might trigger something in your friend. One can only hope!

Thanks for mentioning this poignant story with us.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

My friend definitely heard the message! She kept asking if I'd changed what I was eating (nope) and if I was exercising more (yes, but not actually that much more). And what shampoo I was using (same!) and what makeup I'd switched to (haven't!). She'll end up inviting me to do some fun, sober things if she has more questions. But I won't contact her unless she does so.

Love your happy list, Grateful! I love imagining you warm and happy in Chi-town! Don't worry about those other parents-a powerful past gives us a deep well to draw from. That's going to give us a great advantage in many situations.

(((((((Chris)))))))) Here's a cyber hug for you! I was in a funk all last week. Being sober, our baseline is a lot higher than it was, and as long as we don't drink, UP is a lot shorter distance than it used to be! Be good to yourself!

So proud of you, London! Now you have a guilt free couch surfing session, too.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

scooter!!!! 100 days.....AMAZING!!!! so very proud of you, what an incredible achievement xxx

grateful and London = great happy lists, made me feel good just reading them :-)

rahh well done for not caving to going out. I know its hard to not do what you want to, but you made the right call, Im really proud of you, its not easy to be so strong.

cute great to see you check in.....enjoy your sober holidays :-)

choobie you totally kicked ass at that meeting with your friends, you rock my girl, great that you are on the better side of life now :-)

Im having a tough day as its the 6th anniversary of my fathers death. always a tough day. this is the first anniversary I haven't got completely legless. instead I have been able to spend the dy with ,y mum, have lunch, reminisce, and enjoy my memories with the support of my loved ones. a very hard but special day.

also kicked ass with an hour of tennis rally this morning and won every serve :-)

have a good day everyone,

much love xxx
Old 11-23-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Happy Sober Sunday! And Scooter congrats on 100 days!!! Wowzas! *big hugs*
Old 11-23-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Pink, I bet you were better able to remember your Father and give extra support while sober today! xxxx
Old 11-23-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Thanks choobie xxx
Old 11-23-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

I went for a run in the woods since its probably the last time the weather will allow me to be outside until March.

I run a five mile loop and have done so dozens of times (once I ran the last mile in the dark due to unfortunate planning on my part). A half mile in I saw a family on a hike. The Mom looked at me and said, "don't worry- it gets smoother from here".

Can't help but think the Universe was giving me (and us!) a message . . .
Old 11-23-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the well-wishes.

Pink, bug hugs to you - - this was the first time I have been sober for my parents' dath anniversaries - - eight and five years ago last week. They died three days short of three years apart.

Chris, I go through that seasonal thing in November and again around February when I am sick of the dark, dinginess of winter in this area. I go to Florida in March and everything seems brighter when I get back.

I decided to replace a burned-out bulb in a lamppost along my driveway instead of calling a local handyman. I got out my large stepladder; could not loosen the screws so got WD-40 from the garage; I was quite proud I was able to do that! Then I put Scooter into my laundry sink and gave him a bath. He jumped into my arms and onto the floor when I was towel drying him, and we were both soaked. I had to change my outfit - - somehow, as I tried to hop into a new pair of sweatpants, I tripped on a sneaker and fell down, my right shin getting the impact on the sneaker. I was not hurt, but all I could think was, I just replaced an outdoor light on a high stepladder with no problem, then completely alcohol free for 100 days, I trip over a sneaker and go down!!!! I am still chuckling over that!

I am off to my secret celebration steak dinner!
Old 11-23-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

scooter thank you my sweet. bug hugs to you too, and hope your ankles ok xxx
Old 11-23-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Scooter, congrats on 100 days!
Good to see a lot of folks posting this weekend.
Cute, so glad you checked in!
Bbfly, didn't know you moved to another class, great to hear from you.
Pink, I know how hard those dates are too. My Dad has been gone 16 years this past April. It still hurts.
I'm ready for my next job app tomorrow.I'm praying this will be the ONE. I want to get back into a rountine, and we need the money badly.
Catch up more tomorrow team.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

thanks max xx

good luck tomorrow xx
Old 11-23-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Congrats Scooter on 100 days! Great achievement.

Not drinking tonight. Really tired so will post more tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Well done, Capt! You are doing it! Proud of you!
Old 11-23-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Great choice Captain. Write down how ya feel!

Saw Mockingjay in theaters today, no hangover while sitting second row lol. Nice.

Gonna make it, closing out a week for this run. Good momentum going into turkey week.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

22 days!! 1 slip in 57 days! I am happy with my decision to stay in last night. It was hard last night but I felt good today not being hungover or overtired. It felt good to remember everything that happened last night. I do feel good but have to admit I find myself wishing I could be like other people that can drink socially and not lose it like me. Sometimes I feel so different. I have to fight the thoughts that weaken my resolve. Hope you are all doing well. This journey is tough!! It helps to have you all along for the ride
Old 11-23-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Great job scooter and rah.

Glad to see the usual suspects doing well. I've had a sober weekend and am looking forward to the week.

Just wanted to check in.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Apple - You are doing great...keep doing what you are doing!

Choobie - Your posts inspire me. Love that last story. Also when I'm feeling discouraged I think about how you said you were "the best Choobie you could be when sober". Makes me

Pink - My thoughts are with you.

Sthlondonab - your list inspired me and made me

Cute - great to hear from you my friend

ScooterBoo - 100 days! That's how we do it here on TeamA! Oh yeah! Love your sneaker story.

TX - Good to hear from you. Great job on the weekend!

CaptainWhip - Hang in there. Well done on not drinking tonight. Hope tomorrow is better.

Maximus - Good luck on the job app tomorrow!

I am so grateful to be sober tonight.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Good morning all from the UK

The rain has stopped, yay! It's still warm for November.

On my way to work so post and run. I will check in later on

Hope everyone has a super Monday
Old 11-24-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Happy sober Monday morning! I will never take these for granted, some of my worst anxiety attacks in the past for sure.

Yesterday was tough a bit. Wife having beer in house and drinking them in afternoon while we are packing for holiday trip is tough. I also realized I was a little cranky and a touch bored pity party missing my wild times.

It dawned on me how much I masked my emotions like that in the past as I would have drank beer and put on music and watched the good life movie alcohol created for me. I just told myself to feel the emotions and let them pass. It was ok to not be mr happy and exciting. Ok to be quiet. Also ok to be annoyed. It passed. Moreover, I learned something.

Also, looked at the rental the family will be staying at that is midpoint in distance. Pictures online show a bar and pool table in one room. I thought why can't I have beer laughs and pool... Again, I played the tape. I think that pity party of thinking its not fair sent me into my cranky mood also.

I am assuming you guys are having little AV flare ups as we get to the holiday also.

Looking forward now to being present and sober. It will be real. And special, a true time to reflect and give thanks.

In it to win it baby!!