Notices

Class of September 2014 part 4

Old 12-17-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
nmd

Feel better TryinginTexas! I always mistake the early symptoms of the flu with caffeine withdrawal so I drink too much coffee which certainly doesn't help. Gatorade and sprite sound better. :-)

Good luck with the interview today SafeandSound! Just seeing what else is possible can completely change your perspective I think

Avice, that's great! You have an opportunity now to go for your dream of starting a business so why not?

Not a whole lot going on in my neck of the woods. Finishing up Christmas preparations, and the daily routine of work, kids+homework, dinner, tidying up, then sleep. Only taking a few days off for the holidays this year. I really wish I had more, but I know from years past it's not very relaxing. Time just goes by so fast now, I need to plan some long weekends.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

The interview went very well. Except they seemed to have made their minds up beforehand based on my CV and wouldn't let me talk as much as I wanted to! I had to be a little aggressive to get some words in (and I was prepared thanks to Avice ) However, as with all contract teaching jobs in my city, this only means I have a good chance to get one or two classes per term. At least I'm doing what I love. And it seems like a good fit!

I'm sick and we're supposed to leave tomorrow a.m. I don't know if it's the flu, but my stomach seems to think so, and I have all these finals to grade, packing, wrapping, cleaning for our houseguest. I plan to ask for help for the wrapping at least. So tired. Silver lining indeed.

Good luck on the holidays, everyone. I will be checking in.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done everybody
Old 12-18-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hi Safe and sound

Great to hear that your interview went well! Fingers crossed for you. Take good care of yourself and I hope you have a really nice restful vacation.

Gentle
Old 12-18-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi Safe and sound

Great to hear that your interview went well! Fingers crossed for you. Take good care of yourself and I hope you have a really nice restful vacation.

Gentle
Old 12-18-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi Safe and sound

Gentle
Old 12-20-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, 90 days!!! I feel great, but I'm in a weird place. Sometimes I feel like I'm outside of myself look at myself as someone who is just temporarily turning down drinks for now. It's so hard to understand... When I say "I don't drink" or turn down and offer to drink I can't believe myself. Like, I think "wow, your really doing it, you're not drinking?" Im surprised at myself for not drinking and that scares me.I should feel confident and secure, right? I should believe what I say, correct? I guess a part of recovering is understanding that you are not who you used to be and this new person may surprised the old one.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats EJM

D
Old 12-21-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Sorry for all the people that are sick. Ew, yuck. Everyone around here is too, but I've managed to escape it so far, despite an ominous earache a few days ago.

sas - Well done on the interview! No matter what happens, it's valuable practice. The more you do, the better you get.

EJM - Congrats on 90 days. That's a big one. I do understand what you're saying, though it feels different for me. I believe myself because I've made the decision not to drink way before any event and pictured the scenario of me turning down a drink. I also always bring my own beverage with me (last time it was apple spice iced tea).
I don't know. They say it takes 3 months to make a habit, but let's face it - everyone's different. Maybe there's a part of your brain that's still holding onto the past image of yourself for some reason. Perhaps at month 4 you'll feel differently. Or maybe you're just getting nervous about the holidays...(?)

Anyway, I'm doing fine with the holidays. Everyone knows that I don't have the money to buy presents, so I'm exempt from that whole thing this year. Normally I love giving gifts, but trying to do it with no money is miserable, so I'm happy that everyone has let me off the hook. The only thing I have to do is go to Christmas dinner at a friends' and make cranberry sauce (I already have cranberries in the freezer). I'm fine with not drinking, but they're going to be surprised. They've seen me VERY drunk many times...
Old 12-21-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

PS - Whenever I'm speaking seriously about something, keep looking at the avatar and imagine the cat talking to you. It's much better that way.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.....
Old 12-21-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you plenny?

D
Old 12-21-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hi Dee, I'm coming out of a fog... my husband left, I couldn't hang on. I moved out of my house a week ago. Now I'm in a safe place but I know I need to start over. In every way. here I am again. Oof
Old 12-21-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for all that but it's great you're back and ready to start again

D
Old 12-21-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thanks. I'm always very grateful to hear back from you and to be welcomed.

Right now I'm in the tiny newborn rubbing my eyes stage. More info later. But good to be here again. I need to get stronger so I can weather these storms.

I just need to figure out how to use this app on an Android too... having access to the site is really important to me.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Having so much trouble understanding the android app....
Old 12-21-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry Plenny - I don't use it.

D
Old 12-21-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Ok. Hope I can figure this out.
I'm off to sleep. Probably will sleep all day. I've done this so many times, and it always feels like I'm being pulled out of the grave, and I must sleep and eat to regain my vitality. So exhausted.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Welcome Plenny

It sounds like you have been through a lot. Sleep is such a good thing. Get as much sleep as you can. I don't use the android app, but I use the iPhone app I know one thing that is really helpful is that I click in the right corner and click on subscribed and that helps me reply to the threads that I commonly use like this one.

I'm so glad to see you are back.

Stay safe and keep posting when you can.

Gentle
Old 12-22-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hi Plenny. Glad to see you back! I wanted more of those recipes. Well no - that's not the only reason. Good to see you back on board.
If you need someone to talk to during the holidays, I'm one of the few people who's not doing much. I have an Xmas dinner on the 25th and that's it (my family lives across the country). I know you don't know me very well, but I'm just throwing it out there. I know what it's like to be uprooted and going through major changes, so I can relate to that at least.

Well...I just got a box of Xmas presents and my Mom (I think) has picked out a piece of headwear that is totally age inappropriate. It's very goofy and would look great on a cute young hipster with a love for anime. However, I'm almost 40. I dunno...what...to...say. Maybe nothing. Moms will be Moms I suppose.