Class of August 2014 Part 11

last part here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-10-a-20.html

D
Old 10-26-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good morning all from the UK

Hope everyone is good

I had a quiet evening yesterday, relaxing and watching TV. Loved it! I also love the extra hour in bed due to the clocks changing.

Today I am going to a morning AA - then I want to check out a museum to keep the Sunday pity party at bay. Haven't decided which one yet, let's see where my feet take me!

Have a good day everyone

Thanks Dee for the new thread
Old 10-26-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Had a good night last night and looking forward to a good day and my new job tomorrow. Hoping I can use the transition into a wholesale lifestyle change.

Sober Sunday.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Great job, determined.

Chris, I have given much thought to your post and those of our teammates after it.

Please see if these scattered thoughts relate to any of you - - -

Drinking and thinking about (glamourizing) drinking were a big part of my life - - I never "played the tape forward," and White Zin and Miller Lite were my best friends - - they occupied a great deal of my time.

There were many things I enjoyed doing that I sometimes was physically unable to -- just too hungover to do it, and because of that, some people drifted away...why ask me to spend the day sailing, or at a nutrition seminar or in Salem (all things I remember canceling) and get a phone call at 7:00am saying I had a really bad sinus headache and could not go?

Now I need to fill that huge void in my life. I have been reading more, shopping more, and exercising more. My house is actually decorated - - I have taken Fall and Halloween decorations out of the attic; some years I barely put a pumpkin outside. I have raked leaves three times instead of hiring someone to do it.

But, I do feel I need something (or someone?) new to fill my time. I want to feel happy all the time! I want to be rewarded for being sober, but of course, since I have not told anyone IRL that I have quit drinking, I must rely on my dear SR family and myself for rewards!

When hungover and totally disgusted with myself, I believed that sobriety would make everything bad go away. Now that I am on Day 72, I realize that life is a series of Ups and Downs; not all up or all down. But, it sure is easier to deal with the Ups and Downs while sober. ( since quitting drinking I have had the issue of my brother telling me he wants to leave his wife and she is still nagging him about the time I told her off three years ago, my close neighbor died, my new car got hit in a parking lot and got over $5000 worth of damage, an old friend was diagnosed with breast cancer....) I somehow got through those things without picking up a drink.

I am going to follow Choobie's example and try new things. I am volunteering this week at the library, decorating Halloween cupcakes with kids. I have always enjoyed cooking, and I am going to start trying new recipes and inviting a few friends to try them.

Take care, team, and have a safe, happy day.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Scooter and everyone for your words of encouragement. Feeling better today. I know there will be good days and not so good and that the good days are outnumbering the bad now much more than earlier on. You all have a lot to do with that. I must also remember that a "bad" day sober is still a million times better than any day drunk and the hell that follows that drinking day for days and weeks to follow.
Love you all thanks SO much for being there for me I am here for you too !!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScooterBoo View Post
Good morning, Great job, determined. Chris, I have given much thought to your post and those of our teammates after it. Please see if these scattered thoughts relate to any of you - - - Drinking and thinking about (glamourizing) drinking were a big part of my life - - I never "played the tape forward," and White Zin and Miller Lite were my best friends - - they occupied a great deal of my time. There were many things I enjoyed doing that I sometimes was physically unable to -- just too hungover to do it, and because of that, some people drifted away...why ask me to spend the day sailing, or at a nutrition seminar or in Salem (all things I remember canceling) and get a phone call at 7:00am saying I had a really bad sinus headache and could not go? Now I need to fill that huge void in my life. I have been reading more, shopping more, and exercising more. My house is actually decorated - - I have taken Fall and Halloween decorations out of the attic; some years I barely put a pumpkin outside. I have raked leaves three times instead of hiring someone to do it. But, I do feel I need something (or someone?) new to fill my time. I want to feel happy all the time! I want to be rewarded for being sober, but of course, since I have not told anyone IRL that I have quit drinking, I must rely on my dear SR family and myself for rewards! When hungover and totally disgusted with myself, I believed that sobriety would make everything bad go away. Now that I am on Day 72, I realize that life is a series of Ups and Downs; not all up or all down. But, it sure is easier to deal with the Ups and Downs while sober. ( since quitting drinking I have had the issue of my brother telling me he wants to leave his wife and she is still nagging him about the time I told her off three years ago, my close neighbor died, my new car got hit in a parking lot and got over $5000 worth of damage, an old friend was diagnosed with breast cancer....) I somehow got through those things without picking up a drink. I am going to follow Choobie's example and try new things. I am volunteering this week at the library, decorating Halloween cupcakes with kids. I have always enjoyed cooking, and I am going to start trying new recipes and inviting a few friends to try them. Take care, team, and have a safe, happy day.
Great post Scooter! You are miles ahead of me. Yes, today is day 28! But I have not gotten out there and tried new things. Right now I'm held back a bit because I'm still recovering from my surgery but soon I will be as strong as ever! What to do with my time in this new city?? Hmmm...I think there's plenty of opportunity I just need to take the step. Thanks for the motivation!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Checkin in today with my team. All is good, beautiful day here. Going to head outside, and enjoy this weather while I can. Have already walked Dingo, and had brunch. Yesterday my hopes of seeing the grandkids didn't happen. I sat around and watched some old Halloween classics on AMC. It, Childs play, bride of chucky, beetlejuice, all those silly ones. Killed some time. I was feeling lonely, and a bit sad. Today I'm not going to park my butt inside, I'm heading out.
Scooter, just caught up on your post about your neighbors. That one man does sound a bit odd, but you are lucky to have some good ones around. You know the history with mine, not good. I stay to myself. Hope everyone enjoys their day. I will check back later.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

TXA, good luck tomorrow on the new job!
Rah, congrats on your days, and glad your recovery is going so well!
Sthlndn, hope you enjoy your day. I'm heading out today, just like you are. Not sure where or what, but will find something to do.
Calichrs, agree with you about even the worst day sober is way better then the alternative. I NEED to remember that when that horrid av attacks me!
Thanks team.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey #TeamAugust!

Today I am grateful for:
  • Spending a fun night with my 2 children watching movies and acting silly
  • A sunny, crisp autumn day
  • Hot coffee
  • Restful, sober sleep (our clocks have not changed yet London...next week?)
  • Clear-mindedness
  • Hope
  • #TeamAugust

Be well.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Checking in team! Glad you are feeling better Calichris! You are right on with the comment.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Chris, glad to hear you're feeling better. I'll check in later.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey all

Doing some evening SR reading tonight. Had a good day, I didn't go to a museum but had coffee and spent about 2 hours reading a HUGE Sunday newspaper. And I did an AA meeting this morning.

Great post Scooter.

Chris - I am glad you are feeling better

1 step - sounds like a good Saturday (apart from the elbow) and I hope your Sunday was good

Grateful - I like your list. Yes, we are an hour closer to you guys just for a week or so. It got dark here at 5pm today but I don't mind this season and the run up to christmas. The key will be to stay busy and out of the pub!

Max - have a great day too and enjoy the weather.

TX - have a great day and relax before the new job

Choobie - great posting, I hope you are doing well

Rah - I hope your recovery continues to go well and great you are inspired to go out and about and enjoy

Brach and Cute - you boys must be busy with the work. Hope all is good.

Pink - give us a check in. I bet you have been house hunting!

Hello to anyone I missed!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Max - you just inspired me to get on amazon and order some Halloween films for next weekend. That will keep the Sunday pity party at bay!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thumbs down

I just found this class of August 2014, obviously I am really observant as this is part 11 now hahha

I just wanted to say congratulations to all my classmates, and I was wondering how this works...are there are ever any group celebrations that happen for people having milestones in a class, even online celebrations?

Congrats to everyone being successful in keeping this sober train running since August, it feels great doesn't it!

I'll be at 12 weeks in a wk and a half, and it feels great!

All the best,

Dry
Old 10-26-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

what's the thumbs down all about on my post? Who gave it that, and why?
Old 10-26-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Checking in! Kids are out getting pumpkins, I'm deciding which chores to tackle. My house is almost organized, and i'm excited to start painting and spending some love on the house.

Scooter, thanks for that post! Well said, and I really identified with it.

Glad you are doing better, Chris! Way to go!

I keep on trying to be a good friend to myself, and I'm finding more and more peace when alone. I'm still really wobbly in the real world! I have a lot of work to do in accepting the world as it presents itself and when to do something about it.

Hard week with lots of outside change. I found out my father has an extreme form of dementia, and my mother is not physically or mentally well. They are only 62 and 64, and I'm an only child. Confusing.

Found out about final plans to put a sports arena and pub half a block from my home, and parking will be right outside my window.

My job is getting reorganized and I found out accidentally this week. I already have to reapply in a few months, but now not sure there will a job to apply for. I have to finish a project before I can leave or look for a job.

Husband is very unsupportive of me not drinking. He says i'm going to force him to quit, too. He keeps trying to pick fights and talking about how great beer is. There is nothing I can do, not do, or say to him that changes the situation. I've never talked about his drinking at all, and I've made it clear that I quit to save my own life, and he agrees I would have probably died of a overdose.

In all of these situations this week, my struggle has been to sort out what I can and can't control, what is my responsibility and what is not, and to try to focus on what I can do for the day. Life will never be smooth, but I'm hoping I can become centered, thoughtful, and kind. Challenging, but possible I hope! I've never been strong on the wait and see approach. Just gotta be more patient and keep finding moments to find peace.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Whoops-sorry for the wall of text! Love to you all!
Old 10-26-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey TDO, welcome! Congrats on your sober time! I don't know about the thumbs down sign, I know when you send a pm, you can use a heading like that, thumbs up, down, etc. And the similies of course. We are glad you are here! Its pretty darn quiet here today, guess being the weekend and all, and football.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Choobie, sorry to hear about your Dad and Mom. That must be very hard for you. Sorry your husband isn't being so supportive either. But I have to say, you've really come so far, and that must be a great feeling! Keep on doing what you are doing, obviously, its working for you.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thedryoutdrsmn View Post
I just found this class of August 2014, obviously I am really observant as this is part 11 now hahha

I just wanted to say congratulations to all my classmates, and I was wondering how this works...are there are ever any group celebrations that happen for people having milestones in a class, even online celebrations?

Congrats to everyone being successful in keeping this sober train running since August, it feels great doesn't it!

I'll be at 12 weeks in a wk and a half, and it feels great!

All the best,

Dry
WELCOME DRY !!! Not sure about that thumbs down I have never seen that before! I am quite sure no one on this team would have done that we are a great non-judgemental family here. So glad you are here with us !!
We celebrate every sober day but of course on big ones (30,60,90, 100) etc. we just do big shout outs and congratulatory remarks for each other.
So glad you are here with us ! Ignore the thumbs down I am sure it was a mistake.