Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 11

Old 10-31-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Yeah- interesting church.

Several years ago they gave out rosary beeds to the adults. Last year they gave out something to do with the 'three kings'. So, when she reached into the bag I expected she was going to produce something like that.

Guess they've changed their approach this year! I'm still chuckling about the incident.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Awesome, Max! You'll be great!
Ultra, hilarious!
Rah, I think that makes it harder for longer. If we were quitting tobacco, everyone would cheer us on. But we know the truth! Way to go on 34 days!
We carved pumpkins, make a special dessert, had my folks over, and sent the kids out trick or treating. It's the first time in almost 20 years that I haven't had to chaperone. Good thing the dogs let me put on their costumes!
Great job on beating back that AV today, Scooter!
Great post, determined!

As for hiding bottles, I repainted a kitchen hutch many years ago. And when I did so, I created a false panel to hide the extra bottles. Seriously.

Happy Halloween, TeamAugust!
Old 10-31-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Staying sober today.

Kind of a cruddy and rainy Halloween trick or treating with my 3 and 4 yr olds.

But I still drank only apple cider.

Has penkins checked in?
Old 10-31-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Yep. Im here APPLE. Turned out all the lights n put a "we rnt home" sign on the front door. have been watchin tv w hubby. Each of us has a pup snuggled in our laps. Its been a good sober Friday night.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:50 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone from the UK

A new month!

Hop everyone is good. Today I am going to a Big Book AA meeting then I really hope for some down time later as it's been a busy week.

I hope everyone is doing well.

I will spend some time in Central London later with coffee and IPad so I will check in later
Old 11-01-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Hey Guys, just checking in.
Good to see you all here. I've been going well, very busy with work and the farm.
Recently been questioning my decision to quit. Back here reading posts and have a meeting next fri.
Take care
Old 11-01-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Good morning.

Sleep begets sleep so unfortunately when little kiddos go to bed late after trick or treating....they proceed to get up earlier. People would assume they would sleep in...

I will not drink today. I will not drink today. I will not drink today.

But I'm still feeling vulnerable.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

We must all suffer one of two things - the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

This is our mantra for the new month. Choice.

What a lovely thing to realize that we have always been holding the key to the gate that locked us in. Use your key...

Love, smile, laugh and appreciate everything around you today.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Good Morning! Love the quote determined- I heard that onec from a Jim Rohn program. He ended the comment with "discipline weights ounces, regret weighs tons."

Resstless- Thanks for sharing and glad things are going well! Is there anything in particular making you question your decision to remain alcohol free?

Applecat-I know you won't! I've heard the subconsious latches on to a positive, affirmative statement a little easier (don't know how researches found this out!). And, a positive affirmative statement begining in the present tense with an action word before it is even more powerful (again- I'm not bright enough to understand this).

That said, I'll sometimes use an affirmation in my work "I am easily earning XXX per year and everything I do contributes to that perfect result". I need to create and use more alcohol free affirmations such as "I am enjoying being alcohol free and reaping the many benefits that accompany my positive choice". Or simply, "I am happily alcohol free".

Lets have a great day and end of week team!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Determined I like that post. You are right we each hold the key and I choose to use it!

The pain of determination is much easier than the pain of regret and disappointment for me too. Helps to look at it that way.

Just having a coffee at one of the main railway stations. I have always been a people watcher so it's great. Watching the world rushing around whilst I have a little bubble of calm. The weather is also great after a dodgy start.

Nice to see the check in's.

I haven't seen Grateful. Give us a check in! I haven't said 'top drawer' for a while :-)
Old 11-01-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Good morning team! Good to see so many posts yesterday. Thanks everyone for the well wishes and good luck on my upcoming interview.
Trick or treat was good for the grandkids, but they earned every bit of candy they got. It was cold, wet, and windy last night.
Today, we even have a fine dusting of snow, and its cold and blustery. Don't like winter!
Congrats to everyone on their days sober, and for everyone who struggled a bit last night, but came out on the right side! Loving it. Proud and happy for all of us!
Have a happy day team.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Good morning, Team!

Good work, yesterday, Apple. You can do it again today.

Ultra, I would have loved going trick-or-treating in your neighborhood in years past!

Determined, your post is so, so true. I would like to reach the point where I am ALWAYS beyond the pain of discipline - - I would like to reach the point where I have the self-satisfaction and joy of subconscious discipline - - where the AV is a thing of the past, and the thought of taking a drink never crosses my mind. I can go hours without thinking of drinking, then either the AV or the old "bad habit thinking" pops up.

I went to bed early, but had a terrible night's sleep - - I was awake more than asleep. Maybe too much chocolate, but I am telling myself that is much better than too much alcohol. I finally got out of bed before 6:00 and took Scooter for a long walk before the miserable weather started. Right now it is raining sideways with the wind howling.

I went to the YMCA, and I was pleased to see they have a large bin out for extra candy - - they are bringing it to the Dana-Farber Cancer Center in Boston. I decided I will eat whatever I want again today, but the rest will go to the Y tomorrow morning.

Take care everyone, and have a safe, happy, sober day! Happy November!

Last edited by ScooterBoo; 11-01-2014 at 07:54 AM. Reason: add
Old 11-01-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Good Morning! A fresh new month, I like it! Another alcohol free month and 30 days of living free from hangovers, guilt and needless depression!

This morning I am grateful for:
A white noise machine last night-no lost sleep from drunken hollering
A merciless Zumba instructor
Coffee
Hearing from a friend
a whole house full of projects
The time change!
bubble baths
winter-I'm actually looking forward to it
Old 11-01-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Morning all. Just checking in quickly. I'll catch up on posts later.

Hope everyone had a good Halloween night. Push through the weekend!
Old 11-01-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
I went to AA this evening. Afterwards I was able to help someone with their Step 4 and also had a chat around how others have found it very tough just before 90 days / 3 months so I feel a little better now. I think Choobie posted about this and for me it's correct.
I think there is something to that. I hear often about the approach to the the traditional milestone being problematic. And reflecting, I've had two other serious go's at sobriety and failed each just before hitting 6 and 3 months. So there must be something to that. Armed with that knowledge, I'll be damned if I'm stumbling over them this time.

Personally I'm going through a few big transitions in the next couple of months. Just accepted a new job starting the new year and I'm very thankful and excited to have the opportunity. I've been with the same company for 24 years so I reckon I'm in for a shock to my system (then again who the hell works for a company for 24 years?). So I have to get my house on the market and sell it as quickly as possible and show up Jan with my game face on. My wife is freaking out (she has her own issues) and prepping to make the house market ready has been it's own emotional roller coaster. Now it's all real.

But I'm sober, feeling mentally and physically healthy, and will push through with the same strategy as my sobriety - one step at a time. My sobriety has been the key to finding and landing this new opportunity and I can't imagine getting it done while boozing it up. There's been a whole lot of serendipity on this sobriety ride and I'm just so thankful. This forum, team A, has been a large part. So thanks guys. I really appreciate you all.

Keep your chins up and eyes forward. When you stumble, get right back up. Everything is better sober. We know this. We can do this!!!

Old 11-01-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Nice post doingsomething. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

I absolutely love this: "discipline weights ounces, regret weighs tons." !!

Good sober morning A-Team. Had an amazing spin class this morning that kicked my butt. Good way to start the day! Love you all you are all in my thoughts! -Chris
Old 11-01-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

I need to open my arsenal of recovery reading and memoirs again.

I will not drink tonight.

I can't help but still be bummed on it only being day 2 consecutively. But who's to blame! I did this to myself.

It's moments like this that I really have to cling to previous sober runs and remind myself that those were important, too. Every day I choose to be a sober day counts.

Now to see what daylight savings time does to my little ones.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Doingsomething, I googled "90 Days of Sobriety" and was surprised at the number of articles that came up. I will read through some later.

Apple, when I finally learn to do needlepoint, I have decided that you get the first one.... ONLY LOOK BACK TO SEE HOW FAR YOU HAVE COME.

I am assuming daylight savings won't affect us now that we are sober. Your kids, I am not sure about. They probably won't be ready to sleep at their bedtime for a few days. I am not looking forward to the dark afternoons.

My dinner plans were changed. My friend Bob came over to go out for an early dinner and movie, and quite frankly, he was in no shape to go. Gone are the days when I will go somewhere with him when he can barely walk, slurs his words, repeats himself, mumbles to the waitress, has me drive, falls asleep in the passenger car to wake and try to grab an imaginary steering wheel. He is sound asleep in my recliner right now. One of these days, when he is sober, we need to talk. He has always been a good friend, fun, likes the same things I do; but married to his business. But, his drinking has gotten much worse. And, now that I am not drinking at all, it is tougher for me to watch. When he wakes, I will order in pizza.

Take care and have a safe, sober night.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Apple- After Roger Bannister broke the first 4 minute mile (considered to be impossible) a bunch of folks equalled the fate the next year. Why? Somebody proved it was possible. Somebody else had done it. In this case- YOU are the one who have done it. Numbers can be a neat metric to keep 'score' but don't need to be overly signficant.

In your journey, I see a solid two months, then a bit of reflection about the pros/cons of doing this thing- then a fantastic recomittment. I'm sure you leanred something on each attempt which will serve you well going forward.

I'm looking forward to cheering you on and celebrating your many successes!