Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 11

Old 10-31-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Just wanted to check in quickly. I'm looking forward to a sober Halloween with the kids. And double digits today (again), yeah!

For those struggling, do stay strong today. Let's get to November on the right foot.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by determined99 View Post
Happy halloween kids! Wicked cold I have, but gonna coffee myself up, hit the gym and sauna and go to my sons halloween event at school. Trick or treat tonight! I will be dressing up as batman to go with. Last year I was kind of ripped and was over it by the second house as I wanted to get back home for a beer. So great to be positive, patient, fun and there for him. Alcohol is truly not your friend. Just consider for a second how many ways it hold you and your family in a cage..

Captain and anyone struggling, pause to reflect on the person you really want to become. Go back and read your first post. Don't let things go as far as before, cut the AV off today and say enough. Just that, enough. Let it go, drop it. Just let it be, get it out of your life.

Had a coworker make a comment yesterday that I had to pause and work through. Talk was about a Christmas party plan. Late lunch and a bar. I said, just joking as we are friends, "sounds awesome for a non drinking vegan like me!" They said, you are really not gonna have a beer for the rest of your life? I said, looks that way. They said, how boring, I can't believe you don't want to have a few beers with everyone. I walked back to my office and looked out the window, reflected and read SR. I pictured the party, how the few beers would feel. How then, the buzz would hit my head. Conversation would flow, then fuzzy confusion, wanting to go to the next bar. Calculating if I should drive. Doing it anyway. Now, I have this beer buzz in my car, heading home to my family. Being numb and slow, buying some on way home. Trying to keep the buzz while changing and then watching tv. Passing out. Waking up and saying, boy that was fun...

It took me a few minutes, actually quite a few minutes to shut the AV down and get back to my strong sober place. To truly rationalize my choice. And it is a choice. What do we want to stand for? I had a bit of a revolution in that I am gradually being firmly committed to not doing, participating or promoting things that glorify base, or negative human qualities. These include drinking poison that our society promotes and big industry lies to us about, being kind to animals, refusing greed, refusing to gossip, and not taking the easy way out when given two choices.

I am willing to be socially awkward and let people talk about me. I know that, no matter what they say, my lifestyle choice will make them think.

Sober is the new hipster cool.
Determined I LOVE everything about this post. I am willing to be socially awkward too.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

. There were many times I went in that cabinet to get something and was shocked to find empties!
scooterboo I am soooo happy that I no longer find my empties that I had stashed and forgot about.

My boyfriend would find them... and he'd say something along the lines of "you know I don't care if you drink right? You don't have to hide it."

I was apparently hiding my drunkenness from myself better than I was from him! Surprise! A beer can behind the shower curtain, under the bed, in your dresser drawers, in old purses and bags in the closet!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Hi A-Team, just a quick end of work week check in. Looking at the last few pages, I see some serious struggling and some very heavy sharing and encouragement. I'll have to go back over this weekend and catch up. I hope everyone has a good sober weekend and that the tough days turn better for those having a hard time.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Hey team, doing a quick checkin.
Choobie, thanks for sharing that post, it touched me. You have come so far!

I wanted to share some great news. After all the job apps I have put out there, I finally got a call today!
I will interview on Monday. It will only be part time, but its a start. Im excited, yet nervous as well.
Hope everyone is doing well today, and staying strong.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Hi team!

Just a quick check in on day 47. Things are going well, really well, despite some serious situations on the home front. Will get through this sober, as I am just done with doing it the other way.

Out to celebrate the holiday w/the kiddos, but wanted to say "hi" and have a happy and safe evening.

Much love,

MV
Old 10-31-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, Brach!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Hey all and good evening

Halloween and just settling down to watch films. There's a load of fireworks nearby this evening, early for November 5th but good to watch.

I went to AA this evening. Afterwards I was able to help someone with their Step 4 and also had a chat around how others have found it very tough just before 90 days / 3 months so I feel a little better now. I think Choobie posted about this and for me it's correct.

I hope everyone has a great day and Halloween night. I was a little jealous walking home as all the pubs are full of people dressed up in fancy dress and having a great time. Well, not for me right now but maybe next year I can throw my own fancy dress party :-)
Old 10-31-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maximus97 View Post
Hey team, doing a quick checkin. Choobie, thanks for sharing that post, it touched me. You have come so far! I wanted to share some great news. After all the job apps I have put out there, I finally got a call today! I will interview on Monday. It will only be part time, but its a start. Im excited, yet nervous as well. Hope everyone is doing well today, and staying strong.
Congrats!! This is GREAT news!!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Checking in. Happy friday! Stay sober and safe
Old 10-31-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Congratulations , Max.

I had a tough time today at lunch. One of my friends was a bit late because of traffic, and they had us wait in the bar area "until the entire party is ready to be seated." A few of the drinks actually made my mouth water. I had to to position my chair away from it, but then I saw waitresses going by. I had to remind myself that I don't even like Pumpkin Ale or martinis or white wine....why should I want one so badly?

After lunch we went to a few nearby stores, but I was restless. It really bothered me that my mouth watered for drinks I would never have ordered.....

then I wondered if it was it because the ale glass was rimmed in sugar and spice? because the Martini looked like a thick ice cream? because I was very hungry?

Maybe there is something to it that we have to watch when we approach 90 days.

After buying mini bags of pretzels, popcorn and chips to give out tonight so I would not be tempted to binge on chocolate, I stopped on my way home and bought two huge bags of candy bars - - couldn't decide between the Hershey mix and the Nestle mix, so I bought both.....telling myself that there is no way I will drink tonight, so I deserve the chocolate....

Tonight is one of the nights I will be happy to have over with - - -
Old 10-31-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Alright- fun story.

I'm in New England in a relatively historic town with a Green. A bunch of old houses and churches surrond the Green. Everyone trick-or-treats around the greenbefore heading back home to their neiborhods.

We go to a church, kids get candy, and I'm offered coffee. A nun poured the coffee, then pulled a bottle of alcohol out of a brown bag and begins to unscrew it to add it to the coffee! I intercepted her attempt.

Happy and Sober Halloween Folks! (and watch out for the 'special' coffee!)
Old 10-31-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
Alright- fun story. I'm in New England in a relatively historic town with a Green. A bunch of old houses and churches surrond the Green. Everyone trick-or-treats around the greenbefore heading back home to their neiborhods. We go to a church, kids get candy, and I'm offered coffee. A nun poured the coffee, then pulled a bottle of alcohol out of a brown bag and begins to unscrew it to add it to the coffee! I intercepted her attempt. Happy and Sober Halloween Folks! (and watch out for the 'special' coffee!)
This is a fun story!
Old 10-31-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScooterBoo View Post
Congratulations , Max.

I had a tough time today at lunch. One of my friends was a bit late because of traffic, and they had us wait in the bar area "until the entire party is ready to be seated." A few of the drinks actually made my mouth water. I had to to position my chair away from it, but then I saw waitresses going by. I had to remind myself that I don't even like Pumpkin Ale or martinis or white wine....why should I want one so badly?

After lunch we went to a few nearby stores, but I was restless. It really bothered me that my mouth watered for drinks I would never have ordered.....

then I wondered if it was it because the ale glass was rimmed in sugar and spice? because the Martini looked like a thick ice cream? because I was very hungry?

Maybe there is something to it that we have to watch when we approach 90 days.

After buying mini bags of pretzels, popcorn and chips to give out tonight so I would not be tempted to binge on chocolate, I stopped on my way home and bought two huge bags of candy bars - - couldn't decide between the Hershey mix and the Nestle mix, so I bought both.....telling myself that there is no way I will drink tonight, so I deserve the chocolate....

Tonight is one of the nights I will be happy to have over with - - -
Scooter,
Great win! Just reminds us that no matter what day we are on we can get a temptation. Way to go for the chocolate instead! VERY proud of you !!!! Tomorrow will be easier. You did it !!!
Old 10-31-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Checking in, day 34! Still hanging in there. I've had a few moments where I've thought about drinking. There's so many things that hit you and tell you drinking is cool and what we should be doing. Commercials, restaurants, people. I'm trying to stay the course. I want to be healthier and to live better.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

wild story Ultra! Way to stay on guard !!
Old 10-31-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maximus97 View Post
Hey team, doing a quick checkin.
Choobie, thanks for sharing that post, it touched me. You have come so far!

I wanted to share some great news. After all the job apps I have put out there, I finally got a call today!
I will interview on Monday. It will only be part time, but its a start. Im excited, yet nervous as well.
Hope everyone is doing well today, and staying strong.
Max!!! WAY TO GO!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Ok, back from neighborhood trick-or-treating with every house offering various types of alcohol to the adults. Maybe b/c its Friday?

Hang in there all trick-or-treaters!
Old 10-31-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes max

D
Old 10-31-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Ultra, that gave me a well-needed laugh. Who would have thought you would have to watch what a nun poured in your coffee??? I hope you said, "None of that, Sister!"

I only had seven trick-or-treaters - - I told them all to help themselves, but with parents right beside them, each kid only took a few things.