Notices

Fall out

Old 10-25-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've had an argument with my girlfriend as she was just leaving to go to a family party, I am due out to play a gig tonight but initially said I would pop into the party prior to me going to the gig. I always knew it was going to be a tight run thing going to the both of them and she started to have a bit of a go just before she left saying she felt I was selfish as I should of cancelled the gig. I reacted by pulling the plug on going to her family thing for an hour before the gig. She has now left upset. This creates a void now were I'm sat around at home, reflecting on the issue and waiting to go to the gig. I feel like I've messed up a bit but my girlfriend doesn't make things easy sometimes and hasn't really offered up any remarks with respect to my first week sober so I sort of feel like I'm celebrating a victory of my own whilst she is pre-occupied with the usual stuff I'm not doing for her and letting me know her frustrations. This is a key time now as I almost always headed to the shops for cans in this situation previously. Any suggestions or advice everyone? I do feel bad that I've let her down but in a way I feel let down that she sees it acceptable to argue prior to going out which I hate
Old 10-25-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey stewy

if you expect congrats for quitting you miight be in for a shock...to most of the people in my life I was simply doing what I should have done years ago - y'know?

I'm not saying you don't deserve congratulations but thats what places like SR are for

As for advice...it's kinda hard to work out who did what to who here first Stewy.

I really honestly think you're always best trying to talk things out, rather than doing something at the other person?

D
Old 10-25-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Loads of people I knew neither thought I needed to quit, actively encouraged me to keep drinking, got annoyed that I had quit, or simply didn't understand the achievement that I had remained Sober for a period of time!!

The reason being those that don't have a problem with alcohol and are "normal" drinkers simply don't get it or understand how much effort it takes not to drink!!

Hang in there!!
Old 10-25-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, for us, a week sober is a huge deal. That's why you can come here because we understand that. For others, it's expected and about time we were sober. I hope you and your girlfriend can talk things out.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with all the above posts
Old 10-26-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Other people just don't get it. I wouldn't worry too much, have a chat with her tomorrow and explain how important it is to you. We all have arguments and I think they are more likely to happen in early sobriety when we are feeling a bit vulnerable! I've been a bit ratty with my hubby.... lol
Old 10-26-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Well done on week, Stewy. We all know how hard you have worked for that, but your girlfriend doesn't.

Hope you can sort things out with her.