Old 10-24-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Trach?
Old 10-24-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Slow as a turtle is our favorite pond slider.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on shotgun, Gilmer!

I love how we have all different lengths of sobriety on this thread. Although I'm not struggling, the desire for a drink does sporadically pop up. IOP and AA are helping me in the moment. You all help me in being able to see further ahead where some of you are either past the cravings or very certain about ignoring them.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi undies! Well I am relieved my sisters friends ended up heading to San Diego today so don't have to deal with the craziness tonight. Relaxing watching some tv show called the following.

Siesta congrats on 11 months. Sounds like you have been doing well. Hope everything works out with your step son visiting and glad to hear little Elvis is doing well.

Dee thanks for starting the new thread.

Grateful for another sober day
Old 10-24-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Siesta - great to have you check in. I'm glad you've been so engaged in healthy activities and pursuits. Good for you.

Saskia - Are you struggling with cravings? I always found playing the tape through to the inevitable conclusion to be helpful. Also, like you, I had a lot of faith that if I accumulated lots of 24 hours, that eventually the obsession would fade. And it has.

Petals - people offered me drinks when I first quit because they knew me as a heavy drinker! I found solace in sweets, lots of them. Do what you need to get your mind off drinking and onto something else.

Drake - I'm glad your day turned out ok.

Sparky - Awww, your posts describing the magic of this thread were moving, and I just couldn't agree more.

Gilmer - I'm pretty sure I just started posting without providing much of an introduction, too. What I love is that you respond to everyone.

NT - Anyone who breezes into this thread becomes an Undie for life; look at Drake, toots, Carlos, and Dorothy Parker!

I know I'm super grateful for the advice and support I've received from the Undies for my various trials and joys in recovery. I like that I can just throw just about anything out there, and it will be treated with kindness and respect.

I had a fun day. I watched my kids play hockey and spent time with team parents whose company I enjoy. I'm making time to do what I find fun and fulfilling, taking the time to make plans and the effort needed to follow them.

Have a good night Undies!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, Glee! I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it struggling with cravings. It's more that it crosses my mind and passes right through. It is a good reminder that I need to stay aware. The few times I have had cravings, I have thought it through to its conclusion which killed the desire very quickly! During IOP what kept me sober for much of it was knowing that I wouldn't be able to lie about it and once I slip, it's too easy to do it again. I have one more IOP session next week. Although I'm feeling much stronger, I think i have enough of a healthy respect for the risks and temptations that I'm cautious at the time this is ending. I plan to further ramp up AA meetings to reduce the risk. I most definitely don't want to blow this now!!!
Old 10-25-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello all, I have been reading this thread for the past few days and it has been very useful. I'm in day 13 today and glad to be here. I have been drinking since 16 or 17. started out as fun ending up not so much, the last few years has been tough on everyone around me, almost lost everything. I knew I had a problem and cut back or stopped for a while. Determined after a while I don't have a problem and lets celebrate to not having a drinking problem with some drinks... lots of them. The past few months have been the worst ever with my drinking and being angry at everything and not enjoying anything I have or do. I thought of cutting back again. Well I know that does not work and I made up my mind It has to end. I decided I would take my annual fall trip to my cabin and figure out how to quit. The first week was not so good , I did not drink as much as last time I was here but way to much. I woke up hungover again, mad and realizing I have done nothing since Iv'e been here except drink and thats what I did not want to do. I'm tired of the madness and I know everyone else in my life is about over it. The rope is very short. I jumped on the MAC and started to look for some help. Never asked for help in the past, Figured I have been successful in a lot of things, business, careers, school, etc.. with out help or support, but that little bottle or sometimes big bottle was proving to be a formable foe. Well thank my lucky Google search I found SR. I read for hours and it hurt bad. I saw myself in so many posts. I'm not alone I'm not the only one dealing with this. I then read some of the posts from people who lived with people like me. Thats when I cried and really got scared. I really knew then that everything I know and love and my marriage of 29 years was just about to be gone. No longer a short rope I'm out of rope. Its over I'm choosing to be sober and I'm keeping everything but the Booze. Spent the first few days wondering what to tell my drinking buddies up here ended up just telling them that I decided I'm not drinking anymore. That went well, we still enjoy each others company and they still drink. Kim , my wife came up last weekend and we talked about everything and me quitting drinking. It was not easy telling everything but feel much better getting it all out She was real close to packing it in, That would not have been good. Would not have blamed her for doing so but glad she hung on. For 13 days now I have been sober and enjoying every minute of it. Doing a lot of things that I want to do, having fun and enjoying all the little things you miss when your drunk or hungover. Had a great weekend with Kim and we talked more then we have in years about us and moving forward to another 29 years. I'm much better sober then being Drunk or hungover all the time. SR has been a life changer for me and I thank you all for sharing and supporting each other. Its the key to success. Thanks

Last edited by choosingsober; 10-25-2014 at 01:29 AM. Reason: changed wording
Old 10-25-2014, 01:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks dee. Sr is my only support so that's why I keep popping up on different threads
I watched them all drink while I had pepsimax. ..tried to convince myself I was doing well by refusing. Just feeling a bit low right now. But on a positive note I went to bed sober and woke sober and hangover free! Saturday morning here suppose I should get up.xx
Old 10-25-2014, 01:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done choosingsober

Here is a very good place to be. X
Keep strong
Xx
Old 10-25-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good morning, Petals! I hope some serendipitous wonderful thing happens to you today! It's good that you're hanging around here for a shot in the arm.

Wow, Choosingsober! Congratulations to you for resolving once and for all to put alcohol aside! It is so good that you leveled with your buddies and your wife. I am so glad that she responded so supportively! It sounds like you're starting off on very solid ground.

SR and its great community was definitely what helped me get and stay sober. I have learned practically everything here, both about stopping drinking and about living in my own skin as a sober person.

Congratulations again! Welcome!
Old 10-25-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hey Petal, another 24 sober hours under your belt which ever way you look at it so well done, and focus on today being kinder to you.

Choosin, great to see you and way to introduce yourself!! Settle in pull up a seat and join in the fun.

Sass,myou won't 'blow it' because you really want to make it work this time. Just by all the plans you have made, you are showing yourself that you and your sobriety are worth something.

NT I totally understand the difference between a group clicking and a clique group! Yup this mob of reprobates click. A lot of it is down to sharing experiences, and offering suggestions in support. We have all been the new face here at one time or another and wondered what our niche will be in the group. But the great thing about the Undies is that it is fluid, so we get to hear many voices and learn new experiences. I love hearing from new 'faces' where they live, what they do, how they found SR. etc. Basically I'm a 'sticky Beak' wanting to nosey into everyone's life!!
I too have always found it difficult to ask for help, difficult to open myself up to hurt, betrayal, scared to allow myself to be weak and vulnerable having spent so long building a thick shell of emotional self sufficiency.
What I have found through tentatively reaching out here, rather than becoming vulnerable, the overwhelming, non judgemental support and - yes without sounding completely mushy - love that I have found here, have helped me to rebuild myself. By allowing vulnerability and massively by allowing trust I am stronger than I have ever been. I'm not saying you will only get support or recover by stripping your soul, loads of Undies only read and occasionally comment, I'm just saying don't allow past behaviours to dictate your recovery. Learning to trust has given me a freedom I never believed. However you chose to fit in, I love every time I see your avatar, so don't be a stranger!!

Much as I love golf Sparky, I always Visualise the Undies as a seaside cafe, open 24/7 some folk seem to live here, others work here, some pop in for their daily dose of caffeine or herbal tea. There is always a slice of freshly baked cake ( gluten free, fat free, the only nuts are the patrons, calorie free but tastes like heaven of course!) there is always a chatter going, but if the door opens and someone walks in crying or shaking chairs are spilled in the rush to lead to a seat, a cup is offered, cake is divied and hands soothe shattered nerves until the laughter begins again. Then the door chimes again and in tumble Sparky and Carlos after a cutthroat 18 holes with Siesta, who whopped their butts as usual!
In the dog park out front Molly, Elvis, NTs cutie, befrees daftie and any other four legged friends are romping enjoying chasing each other round.
BeFree, I am glad your sister has decamped with her friends, next time line up some Buzzcocks and Sex Pistols for your early morning wake up tunes!

Siesta how lovely to get an update from you, I hope you will come and celebrate your sober birthday with us so that we can share your joy. I am so sorry that SD is still off the rails, my heart breaks for her and what she is doing to her family. How old is her brother? It's good your son has ditched the party crowd whatever his reasons, and Buddhism is a wonderful philosophy/religion
Gilmer, I love how you look out for everyone, like a mother duck checking how many ducklings are tailing her and whether any have wandered off!
Glee I am so happy your day spun 180 and perhaps it was a reality check that life is still an ongoing work of art!! I can't believe your 2 weeks as a lady of leisure are ending, I bet you are excited about the new job! New potential friends, new things to learn, ooh, I'm excited for you!

Carlos, having spent a few days back in the South of England I have no great desire to drive down here again, I am happy in Scotland. I remember one day when my folks were visiting we were driving back roads of the highlands and hadn't seen another car for ages then we saw two at once. Hubby shrieked in mock horror ' Aaargh! Gridlock!"
Drake, I still have why me moments, fleeting but no less real for all that. I guess in the same way as a diabetic looks at someone eating chocolate cake I have to suck it up and accept that as long as I don't drink I have no adverse effects from my disease. So in many ways, if I have to suffer from something, it could be a lot worse.

Hugs to all Undies, shiny new white ones, old grey many times washed ones, ones you wouldn't want the neighbours to see and ones you wouldn't want to show your parents!

Molly and I are travelling North on the train, she is so much better behaved than the kids across the aisle!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Choosingsober!

I have seen myself in a lot of posts here. Many kindred spirits. Congrats on 13 days!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It gets easier Petals - I just came back from a gig - beers all around and my shirt smells like it belongs to Bob Marley...but none of that registers with me any more

welcome choosingsober

D
Old 10-25-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good morning, Undies!

Welcome, Choosing. It sounds like you are off to a strong start. This is a great place to get support or just hang.

Petals, sorry you are feeling low! Every day I go to bed sober and get up sober is a good one!

Toots, so happy you have Molly :-)

For the moment I'm generally avoiding being around people who are drinking and it's relatively easy for me to do that. It no longer bothers me to walk by the wine aisle in the supermarket - I notice it and promptly forget it as I move on. So things are changing. No strong cravings. My brain feels much better as does the rest of me! I feel content as I'm thoughtfully making changes to my life. One "small" thing about not drinking is that when I'm reading a book I no longer wake up the next day having totally forgotten the last chapter I read. That got pretty frustrating!
Old 10-25-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Morning Undies,

That was a lovely post about our group yesterday, Sparky. Well said my new cyber friend.

Hi choose. Thanks for offering your story. Each and every story has its own unique twists and turns, but, in many ways, they are all very similar. I am happy that you are putting this together before you loose your wife. I wasn't that smart, leaving her after 25 years to retreat to my cabin and drink without eyes watching. That triggered some pretty horrific times in my alcoholism. I guess what I am saying is...Just when you think it cannot get any worse, if you keep drinking, it does. For me, 18 months ago I was in bed most days when not drinking (recovering from a hangover) just wishing and hoping the pain would end and I would die. That isn't what I signed up for, when drinking was actually some fun MANY years ago. FOR SURE, booze had turned on me, as it does with all alkie's. I somehow made my way to an AA meeting on June 3rd of 2013, not my first by far...but the first one that I actually decided to listen and identify, rather than look for why AA didn't work for me. Slowly I started to realize that my drinking was but a symptom of the much bigger problem - my thinking. I reconnected here soon after and the combination of AA and SR has not only saved my life, but helped me to realize how wonderful life can be without drink and drugs. So my new Undie friend...WELCOME, pull up a chair and start contemplating the joy and happiness that physical, emotional and spiritual sobriety might offer.

Oops, went over on that last entry so I must move on. It is a beautiful Indian Summer Day here and I will be spending it with two good friends chasing that little white ball around...again.

Good show, petals!

Let's keep it clean and sober today, Undies, okay?

Carlos

EDIT - choose, many Undies wrote their stories a few threads back. I think Gilmer remembers where they are?
Old 10-25-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

choosingsober - Congratulations on 13 days sober! Having your wife in your corner is a real gift. It doesn't make your work "easy" by any means.

Petals - NOT having a hangover is a really great way to wake up! The more healthy mornings you have, the more the fog lifts. Every day gets a little brighter.

Our struggles don't go away just from sober. Although an up side is that I didn't add to them by making drunken, destructive choices. In sobriety the causes underneath my struggles have become easier for me to see, to understand, and to work through. It takes me a lot of work but it's one of the best things I've done for myself, hands down. My job, my friendships, my parenting, and my self concept have changed for the better.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The One Year and Under Thread Part 30, p. 19, is where some of us began introducing ourselves.

Scroll to my post about halfway down the page:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-30-a-19.html
Old 10-26-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good morning, Undies!

Wow, it sure was quiet around here yesterday!

Life is good :-)