Administrator

I didn't realise we were such a minority Marcher LOL

List of left- & right-driving countries - World Standards

D
Old 10-23-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi guys,
Trachy I've changed my location just for you!

Hi Chic, the more the merrier. I know nothing of mah Jong, but I imagine it is Max, rather than Budd that is the talent in that household!

Can I join the scubathon? I just have my open water cert, but I'm a fast learner!

Marcher doesn't asparagus do something unpleasant to your pee?? Perhaps I'll stick with the steak pie.

Duff, docs can work wonders now, plus it may not turn out to be anything. Try not to worry until you have something specific to worry about!

Hey Shoes, how are you feeling now??

Gilmer, I can't believe how quickly TG has come around again. Did I remember that your MIL is now quite poorly? I thought you had reconnected a little with her? Is it worth calling her a time or two before TG to play nice before the big shindig? Oh and set a place for me,
I'll bring a turkey

Budd, I remember the turkey pot pie from last year!

Sass, it will be another year before I get to eat my pilgrim feast!

Bimini, I have this huge artificial tree that looks real. We've had it for 16 years and it still looks great. It takes about 3 hours to put up and decorate, but looks fantastic when it's done. Even though I feel less festive year on year, I still get a little of the tree magic when I see it all lit up in the dark.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I'm ready for turkey and dressing. Then turkey bone soup.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hi, Chic! A hundred thousand welcomes!

I will call my mother-in-law this morning to say hi. Even though I sometimes resent her, I love her. Maybe I'm jealous of her gifts: in the 60s and 70s, she was an officer's wife and threw elaborate parties in her home for dozens of people. She is the consummate hostess.

Anyway, even though she's passed the baton on to the younger generation, I still consult her as the "professor emeritus."
Old 10-23-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Budd's Thanksgiving pot pie was legendary!
Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Morning. It's raining so hard I may need scuba gear to get to the store today.

This too shall pass - - in May. *lesigh*
Old 10-23-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

All these posts about Thanksgiving dinner are making me hungry for turkey... as well as the post about asparagus... yum (well, except for the reference to how it changes our urine, ha,ha).

And the posts about scuba/deep sea diving just make me jealous.... it is so beautiful under the sea, and all I ever did was snorkel... I can't imagine how it feels when you are down there among all the ocean creatures.

I want to be honest - I have been using alcohol as a sleep aid - a glass of wine or some beer to help me relax before sleeping. As most of you know, pain pills brought me to SR, and yet I do want to be 100% sober when I post here, otherwise, what is the point? But, now that I am back on here, as well as the fact that I am at my daughter's home, I am not drinking. I really don't know how much that little bit helped anyway... it may have disturbed my sleep later in the night although it made falling asleep easier.

I "retired" a couple of weeks ago... and that is my "excuse" for drinking. I tried my hardest to make it until next March, which was my earliest date that I had set as a time to quit working, but the job situation was too stressful and chaotic, and my daughter and her husband really wanted me to help with the baby. That is it in a nutshell. Which is why I didn't have internet... I was preparing for downsizing my lifestyle so that I don't have too many worries.

I am just so glad to be able to have these couple of days to re-connect, and all the nice things said to Chicory about the Marchers 2013 are so very very true, and I do not hesitate to be honest and come back no matter how much time has passed.

Time to give a hungry baby her bottle..later.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi, 1Day. I know your life is still very full caring for the baby. This is good for your character, too: you are developing patience, compassion, and nerves of steel, LOL!

I doubt you really need alcohol to get to sleep. I know that it does the job; but there are other herbal and meditative things you can use.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi 1Day! I know that beautiful grand baby of yours is motivation enough to stay sober. Congrats on your retirement, I'm glad you're going to have more time with your grand baby now. I do also know that it's going to be a big time of adjustment for you.

Sass - I continue to be in awe of your progress!! You sound amazing - I know you've put a lot of hard work into it.

I am trying not to worry about my son and just wait until we see the doc on Tuesday - as usual all of your supportive words are such a comfort

Did the weirdest thing today - I stopped in front of the beer aisle at the supermarket and just sat there staring at all the different brands. Really have no idea why but I'd be lying if I told you I didn't want to grab a 6 pack and run. I didn't. Just strange how moments hit you like that - and then they're gone
Old 10-23-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Yes, they are gone, Duff. Within minutes.

Today on the radio I heard an advertisement for a "Wine and Wellness" conference for women. They had scheduled a couple of speakers on breast cancer, and the backdrop was an evening of tasting and tippling.

I live in Virginia, whose economy got a huge shot in the arm twenty years ago when people started growing grapes for a living. Every five miles there's a winery advertised. I used to love stopping in and trying the different varieties.

There's a restaurant that opened up right before I got sober called the Parallel Wine Bistro. It's got a wall full of dispensers full of all kinds of quality wine, for which they give you small glasses to taste as many as you like. We had just made friends with a couple who love wine, and it would have been such a blast to go to this place with them.

But I just can't. I can't stop at merely tasting and having social fun. I want to hoard it all to myself.

Most of the time nowadays I never even think about it--but I did today, too.

I hope all goes well with your son at the doctor, Duff. I'm sure he's in very competent hands.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I just got back from IOP - interesting topic. I was familiar with some of it but not all. Cross-addiction.... they say if we are addicted to one substance and stop, then later try a different one, it can trigger going back to the first - including pot. One more session next week! If I need it, they have an after-care group that meets weekly for 1.5 hours.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Baby is down for her mini morning nap.

I "know" that there are healthier choices for sleep aids, but I appreciate the reminder.

I think you all are doing a fabulous job with managing your lives and staying sober... it is so worth it. My self esteem is much higher when I do not drink.

But if I do not address the "root cause" I can foresee me going on like this indefinitely, playing games with my recovery from pain pills.

Sass: I do agree with some of the concepts inherent in cross addiction, in that, if I had easy access to pills after a few drinks, my judgement would be skewed just enough to rationalize taking them. Thank God the DEA has made it all but impossible to get them in my state anymore, and I am too old to become "ghetto" and look for heroin, which is the replacement these days. Plus H is very addictive and we are seeing a rise in deaths from it due to the inconsistency in potency.

Anyway, I think my root cause is being alone. I feel so much better here at my daughter's, although I always thought having peace after the children had grown was a dream that got me through so many years. I am so "black and white"...either on SR daily or not posting for months, and if I am too lazy to go to the trouble of returning to 12 step meetings, then I will continue to get the same results.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

"Cross-addiction.... they say if we are addicted to one substance and stop, then later try a different one, it can trigger going back to the first - including pot."

If that's the case, Sass, then that makes it doubly difficult to quit! When I quit drinking, I dove immediately into SR and eating. I don't think either substitute addiction has enticed me into drinking again. Except for the occasional momentary nostalgia pang (as mentioned above), I'm not even tempted by drinking anymore. I'm out of the lifestyle, and I don't want to go back.

I've always been a binge eater--since long before I started drinking. Alcohol didn't replace it, nor did eating replace alcohol for me. I doubt if I suddenly and miraculously got successful at modest eating that the temptation to drink would come rushing back. the two addictions are like apples and oranges for me.

If I ever decide to give up SR, I think I will definitely need to replace it with a ladies' AA group or something similar--but that would be to serve as a constant reminder of the fact that drinking is bad for me.

I don't think the value of SR for me has been in its role as a substitute addiction to keep me occupied; I think its value has been as a moral reinforcement.

So, unless I'm misunderstanding what they mean by "cross-addiction," I think I disagree.

UPDATE: I just read on a different thread that picking up a drink after having been sober awhile caused someone to plummet back into heavy drug use. I think I initially misunderstood. Now I get it, and I agree!
Old 10-23-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

1Day, good to see you again!

Welcome Chicory, you can also call me Ken. I think my scores on mahjong are because of a computer glitch. Every now and then I have to click on a tile 3 of 4 times before it registers, I think it then gives me extra points. That's all I can figure.

Not doing any diving around here, I think I got spoiled by the places I've been and the water clarity here just doesn't measure up, makes diving seem too much like work. Give me a drift dive with 150 foot visibility and I'm happy. Here, the vis rarely gets above 30 feet. I've dove in Bahamas, Belize, Honduras, Mexico, Samoa, Tonga and Trinidad and Tobago and they all had very clear waters.

Back in the 80's I did lots of cocaine, but when I put away the hair band uniform that went away too, never liked pot, and here I've seen what pills can do, so I managed to stay away from them, I will rarely even take an aspirin. Guess I got lucky on that front.

Duff, try not to worry too much, let the doctors do their jobs, you know we are pulling for you and him.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I didn't realise we were such a minority Marcher LOL

List of left- & right-driving countries - World Standards

D
I rode a pushbike the wrong way round a roundabout in Holland......dread to think how well i'd do in a car!

Hi all.

Welcome Chic...good crew here, you'll slot right in.

Much love all

LP
Old 10-23-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

In Tonga I had to drive on the left with a left hand stick shift car, good thing there are only 12 cars in Vava'u!
Old 10-23-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

th.jpgThis years TG feast will be built around this component. The goal is..... No Utensils!
Old 10-23-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think cross addiction is just psych-talk for the fact that for many of us the problem is not the drink or the drugs we used; the problem is ourselves.

I had a void in me, a sadness, and emptiness, a loneliness, I could not fill - I tried many things.

In the end working to heal that void worked better. It's not a quick process but the results are pretty spectacular

D
Old 10-23-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers It's thundering here. Toots rest reassured that my pee isn't green (too much information everyone?), I think that only happens in English manors of the past where the earl's family had an entire plot of asparagus not the 8 or 10 spears we buy.

1Day one of my biggest fears at the beginning of recovery was that I wouldn't be able to sleep without "something to relax me". The only thing that kept me awake was thinking about that thought, a gentle routine before bed, some quiet reading and I'm out like a light. You can be too.

I'm with Dee on the cross addiction thing but then we do drive on the wrong side of the road over here.

Have a good day peeps.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

We got to see a whole movie on cross-addiction. They claim that it's dependent on whether a substance or activity causes certain brain cells to "light up". The concept is that if we then stop that substance/activity, our brains may drive us to substitute something else. In addition, both alcohol and opiates attach to the same receptors in the brain.