Notices

Class of March 2013 part 33

Old 10-22-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

The road trip sounds great, I can only drive once we are out of the cities though, these last few weekends got me a bit anxious driving around heavy traffic again!

Toots, glad you're back home safely, I'm sure you'll have a few strange days as you have to unlearn all the stuff us lazy americans taught you.

Seeing Duff's picture of my tattoo has me thinking it may be time to add more, original plan was for it to go completely up my leg, so far all the work was done from underwater pictures I had taken on scuba trips, then it was supposed to transition to a beach scene with palm trees going up over my knees.

Bimini, I am also alone, so on holidays I've made my own traditions, it allows me to say "no thanks" when I'm told I have to come by someone else's house because there will be dozens of others there. My dinner last Thanksgiving was turkey pot pies. Prep to clean up, 18 minutes!!!!! The rest of the day was a 3 season White Collar marathon.
This year I'm thinking Turkey BLT's with a coconut cream pie, and a horror movie marathon.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I could use a SoFla scuba trip. How's the Vandenberg doing? Any critters taking up residence? I have an old school chum who is one of the Captains of the M/S Spree, based in Key West. (or he was a couple years ago, anyway)

soon...
Old 10-22-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Twenty-six people are scheduled once again to come to my house for Thanksgiving for the four-day weekend. It's not my preference, but I am roundly overruled by all members of the family. So last year I finally found a solution: I show up Wednesday night with my dad, eat dinner Thursday--then LEAVE Thursday night! No aggravation whatsoever--psychiatrist's orders!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

ahahahaha
Old 10-22-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

It's better than the passive-aggressive behavior I used to pull: sulking, hiding in my room watching Project Runway marathons, and sniping.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Wait. They come to your house against your wishes? What's that about? You're the best cook, aren't you?

What time?

One more...you'll never notice.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Haven't dove the Vandy, never got my advance certification and they are sticklers about that here.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Count me among the home alone crowd for Thanksgiving :-)

Gilmer, how do you manage to have that huge horde for the holiday???
Old 10-22-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

We're all goin to Gilmers!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I have, at least, stepped up a little bit. Last year, if I wanted 3 people in my place, one had to sit on the toilet, I can now seat 7, not including the throne! Make that 5 as Max and Jez have claimed the recliner and wing chair!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

That'd serve 'em all right to have an onslaught of my SR buddies!

Some years I pulled it all together and did great. Other people did sides and desserts, and I was just responsible for the (2) turkeys, stuffing, gravy, and (2 bags of) potatoes. But I got more and more stressed.

It wasn't so much the fact that they weren't welcome; it was the fact that it was really stressful for me. The stress far outweighed the enjoyment. Yet they all were very vocal about how much they wanted this tradition entrenched forever--they believed themselves to be so--so--entitled, especially my mother-in-law. That's what really ticked me off: they believed they had all the rights, when I, the lady of the house, had none!

A few years ago I really tried to have a great attitude. I had the potatoes sitting on the counter, ready to go. I made the stuffing, asking for taste testers, since I don't like onions and celery. I got the turkeys in the oven early. All was well.

I thought the day went remarkably smoothly compared to past years. Then I served it. When we sat down, everybody was audibly chagrined to have no potatoes. Turns out some eager beaver had "cleaned" the bags from the counter the night before. Out of sight, out of mind!

My kind sister-in-law tried to grab some leftover roasted potatoes with carrots and mash them up quickly. When we set them on the table, my mother-in-law said condescendingly, "What's this?"

I just sat there humiliated. My husband immediately said, "That's it! Michelle, you'll be cooking the turkey next year!" I know he was only trying to help and take pressure off me, but it ended up humiliating me even more. The turkey, gravy and stuffing were great!

(Reminded me of sixth grade: when I had a spat with my piano teacher, and she reprimanded my parents, they were so mortified that they gave the piano away to the church the next week. Every time I would go to Mass, I would go down to the basement for CCD and I'd see my piano sitting there in the corner, totally unused).

When I came back to SR last November, I was frantic about the whole Thanksgiving prospect. I do great for my nuclear family, and groups up to twelve--but cooking for this big bunch, especially my mother-in-law, is unnerving.

Last year the bunch here was very supportive: if the event was a trigger (and it certainly was!), I ought not participate. My psychiatrist agreed: I couldn't skip Thanksgiving dinner altogether, but I could simply be a guest and come home Thursday night. Last year I had a final scheduled for Friday morning.

This year the precedent has already been established. People have a better time without passive-aggressive me, and I certainly have a better time without them!
Old 10-22-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Budd, just Open Water Advanced, right? That wreck isn't very deep and I wouldn't penetrate the interior, anyway - I'm nitrox certed...Well, it kind of scares me anyway. That's a huge ship.

Gilmer, I've never entertained more than two people in my life.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Yes, Advance open water, it goes down to around 150 ft., starting around 50 ft, so no dive boats will let me go even though I've been down that deep plenty of times.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers Seriously guys I don't know how you Americans get through two big events close together with food and booze and gatherings -- they are maybe a month apart? I love to cook but I would not love that at all, I admire people who can.

More and more I think the holiday period has to be about your own choices, we stopped doing large family gatherings years ago and our Christmas meal has been getting simpler, healthier and more elegant each year. It's amazingly fun to have an alternative Christmas and not feel wiped out on Boxing Day.

Trachy if you are worried about diabetes I would strongly recommend you read the work of Professor Jennie Brand Miller at Sydney University. Her work on eating low GI has been recognised worldwide. Mr Marcher's diagnosed diabetes is completely under control with food only eaten (mainly) according to her research.

Glycemic Index

Have a good day peeps.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Budd & Bim, I finally got my advanced after years of doing deep dives anyways. I never had anyone really stop me but thought it best to get it in case anyone ever did.

Ah the holidays. I'm not ready to think about that right now.

A little anxious right now. My son's pediatrician referred us to a pediatric cardiologist. He's been having accelerated heart rates and I'm afraid he may have a-fib. Shoes, didn't you say you have it? My dad does -- I just never thought kids could have it. So anyways, his appt isn't until Tuesday. More reason than ever to stay sober!!!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
It's better than the passive-aggressive behavior I used to pull: sulking, hiding in my room watching Project Runway marathons, and sniping.
I lovvvvvve Project Runway!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BuddinK View Post
Yes, Advance open water, it goes down to around 150 ft., starting around 50 ft, so no dive boats will let me go even though I've been down that deep plenty of times.
I feel like I'm on Scubaboard, my other favorite forum.

Advanced OW is easy to get, there's just a few dives to do, like compass and deep and ...I don't even remember...easy stuff. Do you still dive? You could probably find an instructor on the corner down there. They'll sign you off in a couple hours. Nitrox would be the one I'd want. I think I had to have AOW before Nitrox - don't remember.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

(((Duff))), I hope it turns out to be minor. Even if not, it's amazing what they can do these days. I had an office mate who had spells of really rapid heart beats due to an electrical malfunction in her heart. They were able to fix it by temporarily threading a little device into her heart and ablating the AV node. That completely fixed her. We'll hope it's more minor than that but problems don't necessarily mean restrictions or a lifetime of treatment.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

HEY Marchers,
Greetings! It has been quite some time since I have posted.... I still try and read when I get a chance; I am babysitting for my granddaughter for the next several days and I am grateful to have access to Internet during this time.

It seems some of you have had some big changes, and others have more stability in your lives. I guess I am one of you who have had some major changes in the past month or so, and am in the process of adjusting. It feels good to come here to post about that fact.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi, 1Dayatatyme! What's new with you?