Administrator

Class of August 2014 Part 10

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-9-a-20.html

D
Old 10-16-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brach123 View Post
Hey KNB sorry to hear about the slip, but glad you are still here giving it a go. Have you looked at other ways of dealing with anxiety and/or panic attacks? I used to get them frequently and drank and drank to try and hide them, only it made them much worse in the end. I had to find a new way to deal with them. Obviously speaking to your doctor would be a good idea, I know some people may not want to go onto meds, but you an also get help such as cognitive behavioural therapy. I personally find meditation a huge help and have just joined a mindfulness class which is great and many there have had anxiety issues. Anyway I just thought I'd throw some ideas out there, but maybe they are not for you, I hope you find the peace you deserve.

Determined I'm glad you talked your self back into reality there!

I'm in a good place at the moment and for once feel like I deserve it. I've been attending lots of meetings, working on myself and have adopted a far more positive state of mind than I've had in the past. Each small step in the right direction is helping me to stay sober and build a life that I'd much rather have than the one I had when drinking. I think that's key: I had to change my thinking and also my quality of life to start to realize how much more there was to it.

I hope you guys are having a good day, be kind to yourselves.
You DO deserved it. You have worked so hard on this! I'm proud of you.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Checking out the new thread! Whoo hoo!

Knb - I'm sorry, girl. Get da alcohol outta the house! Next time you have a middle of the night panic attack have a glass of water and a banana and do some deep breathing. Dust yourself off. Two steps forward. Big hugs.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have a great vacation Ultra
Old 10-16-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Brach you definitely deserve this!!!!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry you slipped last night Knb, I was close myself and I know how much harder it is in the first week or so. Stick with us here and I think the running is a good idea. You've been through a lot of emotional stuff with your ex and need to put yourself first, get strong and lean on us here whenever you need to.

You're doing great Brach, well done on your well deserved sobriety, think you've hit the nail on the head, as well as putting the drink down, changes need to be made in our lives to make us happier, Ive felt like Ive needed someone to make me feel better in the past, in my step 4 Ive realised that every relationship Ive ever had has started around drink, it gave me confidence to mix with people and there is a nagging voice in my head that tells me meeting someone new would be easier and less stressful in a pub/club environment rather than in 'real' life.

I know the answer is to work on me and gain confidence through doing things and mixing more sober but it seems a long struggle sometimes and the part of me that wants a quick fix is more apparent on some days than others.

Today is day 60 and I won't drink but the future seems like a maze in my brain, recovery is not as easy as I thought it would be!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Sorry you slipped last night Knb, I was close myself and I know how much harder it is in the first week or so. Stick with us here and I think the running is a good idea. You've been through a lot of emotional stuff with your ex and need to put yourself first, get strong and lean on us here whenever you need to.

You're doing great Brach, well done on your well deserved sobriety, think you've hit the nail on the head, as well as putting the drink down, changes need to be made in our lives to make us happier, Ive felt like Ive needed someone to make me feel better in the past, in my step 4 Ive realised that every relationship Ive ever had has started around drink, it gave me confidence to mix with people and there is a nagging voice in my head that tells me meeting someone new would be easier and less stressful in a pub/club environment rather than in 'real' life.

I know the answer is to work on me and gain confidence through doing things and mixing more sober but it seems a long struggle sometimes and the part of me that wants a quick fix is more apparent on some days than others.

Today is day 60 and I won't drink but the future seems like a maze in my brain, recovery is not as easy as I thought it would be!
Determined, I am checking in.

1step- big congrats on 6-0!!! major milestone!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

60 days 1 step? Top work mate, keep at it.

Did my lunchtime AA, there is a fine line between closing your eyes to listen and going into a light sleep, as I found out today. Oops. A ten minute snooze was good though. Also good stories and I came out more relaxed.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go 1 step. 60 is amazing!!!!!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dark early cool crisp morning here in Northern California. Woke up at 5am very tired but so happy and regret free. I can get used to this!

KNB. We love you! It shows a lot of strenght to get up immediately and come back to SR! Shows you realy want this!! I know the first few weeks were the toughest to get that momentum going but one day at a time the days do add up and before you know it you have that momentum back. I told you all I have mini-celebrations every 10 days. 30 is too long for me to wait in this early stage of my sobriety. I need something to look forward to every 10 days so I celebrated at 10,20,30,40,50,60, and plan to do so here shortly for 70,80,90, and 100! At that point I may re-evaluate and see what my truth is and see if I still need that 10-day motivation or maybe increase it to 20 or 30 days. The fact is we are all different and need different motivations, but we have one thing in commmon we want to be FREE from that POISON and the hell that is drinking!

I have a 16 hour day today. Something I could not ever have gotten thru in the past being hung over and full of regret and anxiety. Thank God for sobriety and for you all!!

Love you all !! Hugs from the west coast USA.
Love, Chris

P.S.- Congratulations 1-Step and everyone else on your milestones!! Woo-hooooooo-hoooo!!!!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 60, 1step!! *****!!

I'm there shortly, and I agree that while I'm thrilled and happy to be nearly 60 days I can hardly fathom getting to day 90...

My over-anxious brain is already trying to calculate when that is. And what day is thanksgiving and what day is christmas, should I take a "break" sometime (ha). Someone else mentioned that word in another post - wishing to just get a "break" and that stuck with me. I guess I'm not so healthy in that I wish I could have one day of wine drinking and then go back to counting where I left off the next day.

Must remain vigilant because I don't like that thinking...
Old 10-16-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Good morning, afternoon and evening all,

1step, I completely get that. I really try not to think about the future if at all possible. It pops up all the time though and I think about "how could I possibly not drink in this or that context". I just try to shut down the thought quickly. The future will be dealt with when it's here. Right now, in the moment, is where it's important to be.

My day to day strategy has been to turn cocktail hour(s) into gym time. I find that from my desk to a good workout and shower puts me home after 7pm generally (looking forward to dinner and ice cream) and makes me tired enough to be out like a light by 10. Rinse and repeat. Weekends I've made sure to have the afternoon of each day fully occupied and allowed myself the laziest mornings ever (lots of coffee, late breakfast, maybe even a movie).

It's all a bit mundane and admittedly I haven't socialized more than about half a dozen times in the past two months. I don't know that that's all that healthy but it's working for me so far. I'm definitely a creature of habit and just trying to foster good ones.

Knb, I'm very glad to hear you are right back up on that horse - great perseverance.

London, way to put the work stuff into perspective.

Determined and Glandon, thanks for the poke and encouraging words.

1Step, hang in there. This too shall pass. 60 days!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ultra, enjoy that vaca.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Congrats on day 60, 1step!! *****!!

I'm there shortly, and I agree that while I'm thrilled and happy to be nearly 60 days I can hardly fathom getting to day 90...

Must remain vigilant because I don't like that thinking...

Apple, I am glad you mentioned Day 90. I read on another thread that it takes most alcoholics 90 days of sobriety to be completely free of it. Have any of you ever heard that? There was no further explanation, so I do not know if the person was referring to physical looks, internal organs, energy, what??? I found it interesting at the time, then forgot about it until reading your post.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I walked my dog Scooter early this morning then went to the Y. Since my plans to spend the day in Salem were canceled, and it is rainy, hot and humid here, I am restless. I went through my three sock drawers, used hair elastics to put the matching pairs together and threw out all the singles. I might start my new book for book club, I might go through my Fall and winter sweaters, I might stay on SR.

I have not heard from my brother since Tuesday, and that is a good sign. Our nephew who lives in LosAngelesand works for FOX is in Texas for work and is going to spend the weekend with my brother, starting today. The nephew knows nothing about the situation so the s-i-l will be putting on a good show for him. This nephew is fun and lively and down-to-Earth, and I am hoping and praying my brother has a great weekend.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Checking in for role call. 14 days
Old 10-16-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Quick checkin for roll call! 49 days / 7 weeks today. Will read the thread and reply to bits tonight. Stay strong people xxx
Old 10-16-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great work on 60 1step!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Im still here. Lurking. Don't feel i should be posting since the AV usually gets me every weekend. The good news is that it is an improvement for me to NOT drink during the week. Anyhoo. Y'all keep posting and I'll keep reading til I get this down.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Present! Quick check in...Thursdays are long work days for me...

Old 10-16-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScooterBoo View Post
I read on another thread that it takes most alcoholics 90 days of sobriety to be completely free of it. Have any of you ever heard that?
Scooter, "free of it" is a dangerous terminology. I know people 3-5 years sober who still get the ocassional AV trying to trick them to drink and I know people a few months sober who barely think about alcohol at all. The danger for me is that when things got "easy" is when I relapsed in the past because I was tricked to think I finally had it under control.
Sorry don't mean to be a downer just trying to illustrate that the AV will use both your bad days and your good days as fuel to try to get you to drink so just be careful. Of course our sober muscles get stronger day by day as we bank up those days that never goes away, but just keep your eye on today and before you know it you will have more and more days in the bank which add up to years and years of healthy living. Don't take your eye off the ball after 90 days (or ever). Same exact thing as driving with cruise control on, yes it is easier, but don't fall asleep at the wheel, that is deadly. And the more we cruise, the more we have to be vigilant when things get "easier" and we may get too relaxed as life goes on around us with surprise temptations thrown in every once in a while. A little bit of fear and remembering why we chose to be sober is always a good thing (just like not wanting to drive off the road in order to stay alive).

Okay so I just re-read this post and it sounds a bit like a downer but i do feel strongly about this and have to share it because my last relapse was on a "good" day after my confidence was built up over time. My AV used that to get me to have "one" drink. That was a gut-wrenching "one drink" that spiraled me out of control again.
I just don't ever want anyone to fall for that one like I did!

Love you all !! So proud of us wherever we are on our journeys!!