Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 10

Old 10-24-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maximus97 View Post
Hello team. After much thought, I've come to realise that I only got upset about Glandons post because it hit home. He was right, obviously what I'm doing, or not doing, isn't working for me. I'm not open to AA at all, tried that and it didn't work for me. I'm just not getting this staying sober. It makes me upset, only with myself. All I can do is keep trying and try to figure out something that works for me. Thanks everyone for understanding, and trying to help me. And for caring enough to try. I'm grateful to all of you. Thanks for the pms too. I'm going to stick around, and annoy you good folks some more!
Happy to hear!
Old 10-24-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Glad you're sticking around Max

Thanks for the book recommendation Apple

Ultra glad you're sons ok.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

I think I can humbly say that Phase 1 of my new sobriety is pretty much under control. I rarely have any strong urges or cravings and I posted here recently that the mere thought of AL is repulsive. So, much of the “physical” aspects of AL abuse seem to be in the rear view mirror. I can still see them, which is good (so I am not complacent about my addiction), but AL is not in my future.

So, with the physical urge of my quit, thankfully at bay, this provides me the ability and hopefully clarity to now look at things that may be very uncomfortable.

I am ready to look at myself more deeply. Into my personality, habits and psyche (as much as I can) to figure out the “WHY”? Why did I spend so much of my adult life needing to self-medicate? To daily numb myself and my feelings? Why couldn't I be satisfied with life as is; vs. feeling the need to get high on AL and check out?

Honestly, I am more worried about what lies ahead on this Phase 2 than I was in getting through Phase 1. But, I don’t think I can really say to myself that I am in a meaningful long term recovery, without getting these issues identified and resolved.

To start this, in a day or so, I am going to sign off from SR for a period of time. I am going to a cloistered Benedictine Monastery in Northern New Mexico. I will be entering just before my 80th AF day and returning on my 90th day. The Monastery is in a very remote location, no internet, phones and only limited electricity. I will be living with about 30 monks who are there and I’ll be in total silence, other than being in Mass, and praying the Liturgy of the Hours with the monks (an ancient monastic tradition of prayers during the day and evening). Last bell is at 7:50 PM and first bell is at 3:50 AM. So, my day will be in prayer and some manual labor. By the way, I had requested to be allowed to come to this Monastery last summer, before my quit, and received approval a couple of months ago. So, maybe this is part of God’s plan that I should be going there at this point in my recovery?

Anyhow, chances are that I will really need the counsel and guidance of you all, as I move into this new Phase. In fact this has already happened… I read Chris’s blogpost of March, 2014. Powerful comments in there Chris… I will take them with me when I leave.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Glandon that sounds marvelous!!! 10 days to spend with God. No distractions. I think this will be life changing for you.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
I look as it as spending 25 years learning what doesn't work as well for you- and using those learnings to passionately embrace what does!

You're at an enviable spot now- early retirement, pets which you love, hobbies which you enjoy, and 25+ more years to enjoy it all alcohol free.

Now if we can just get the individual in the book club to start finding rainbows in every selection rather than her current 'go to'. . .
Thank you for your kind reply. I obviously had some great times, great vacations, loved my job, etc. during that 25 years...but, you can see that when I feel down, I see it as 25 wasted years.

Speaking of the book club - - We were discussing what three characters had in common in the book we just finished, and (probably because we read the most straight-laced book we have read in a few years,) you-know-who put her purse on the table and took out a lipstick, a smart phone stylus, a fat pen, a mascara, a chap stick, on and on - - and said, "I am more interested in what these things have in common!" Writing it now, it sounds funny, but at the time, I did not even smile. She thought I was a mean drunk; now she must think I am a sour sober!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
I'm doing lots of this.
Apple, if I ever learn to needlepoint, this will be yours!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Good afternoon everyone.

I swam, had a manicure and pedicure, then went to The Paper Store which is having a big anniversary sale. By then I was hungry, and decided to phone a nearby steak house, which is about the only place I ever get steak; I never cook it, and I only order it in steak restaurants. I have been craving steak, and decided to order a meal to go, because that is one of the places I relate to ice-cold Lite beer.

I have been treating myself all day because today is Day 70. I was going to wait until Day 100, but decided to celebrate today. I then thought that the steak is never as good when I bring it home, so I should make a sandwich at home...then, I drove right into the parking lot, ordered my favorite steak dinner with a Caesar salad, loaded baked potato and WATER!! I DID IT ! ! ! ! I sat in a booth in the bar area, where I usually sit, and I was fine. (Since retiring I frequently go to lunch with neighbors, family members, Y friends, so it doesn't bother me to occasionally go alone - especially to a place where I usually go with others - - it makes me feel like they know I have friends - - WEIRD, I know they probably only care about the size of the tip I leave!)

I came home to give Scooter a good walk ; we have been having really short ones with this crazy wild Northeaster. Now, I am going to a book store. Tonight I am going to a potluck dinner at a neighbor's house where drinking will not be an issue. I just hope it is not going to be to establish a Neighborhood Watch or something. This is the neighbor who saw a strange truck and now seems to be patrolling! I got the mass email invitation a few days ago - -all people in our development. It should be something!

I hope everyone is having an easy, happy, sober day.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Scooter what an inspiring post. Have a wonderful evening.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

here! 71/72 days sober.

what do you want the rest of your life to look like? who do you want to be?
Exactly!

gonna go get the kids some pumpkins and then We'll carve them and I'll be sober
Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Have fun blackbird!!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad all is ok Ultra
bon voyage Glandon - sounds amazing.

glad you're staying max

congrats bbf and scooter

hope everyone has a great sober weekend

D
Old 10-24-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Checking in on this sober Friday. Today is day 27. I've been trying to keep up with all the posts. There are so many!! I see that many posts cover peoples struggles but others touch on things people are doing instead of drinking. I think that's great and find it to be motivating. I know I need new hobbies and need to find non drinking related activities to do. I am trying. It truly is about changing my lifestyle. The posts about book clubs, exercise, etcetera are great!! Keep up the good work team!
Old 10-24-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
glad all is ok Ultra
bon voyage Glandon - sounds amazing.

glad you're staying max

congrats bbf and scooter

hope everyone has a great sober weekend

D
Since I am very short on time I will whole-heartedly ditto what Dee says above.
Thanks for the kind words Glandon I know these 10 days will be transformational for you! Oh, and enjoy it too ! We all should 'unplug' from time to time I am looking forward to hearing all about it.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Wow! Good for you glandon!! We will be anxiously awaiting ur return! Congrats!
Old 10-24-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Scooter! What a fantastic day you had! Congrats on day 70
Old 10-24-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

L Glut is the BOMB!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penkins View Post
L Glut is the BOMB!
That's awesome!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Glandon, you continue to approach your quest vigorously and methodically. I expect your 19 days will nourish your soul.

Scooter, well done! Great reward! Next book club perhaps you can reference the items that have / will soon be found in Mavis's shopping cart and ask a similar question. Regardless of the items I think we all know the answer to what they will end up having in common.

Let's have a powerful weekend team!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

That is going to be an awesome experience, Glandon!

Scooter, Wooooooohoooooo 70 days of sobriety! I hope your potluck is simultaneously interesting and drama free

BBF-Awesome job! Sober pumpkins are the cutest pumpkins!

Pink, I was confused over lemsip, too! I tried saying it out loud, said it backwards, and considered whether it was a powder medicine, a tea, or lozenge, all while online with a Google tab beckoning...

Glad your son is ok, Ultra! My son is going to a haunted fair tonight and I volunteered to drive the kids back home. Who cares? It doesn't interfere with my tea drinking one bit!

Rah, I have tried out so many hobbies now that I am sober! I'm horrible at all of them, but that's why they are hobbies. Nature photography (but got chased by a wild turkey), guitar (3 whole chords...yeah), writing (some how still working on this, but i'm very doubtful that even an editor would be willing to read it-even for pay), running (nope), home decorating (but then I might have to dust), Zumba (my class is full of 25 year olds and I horrify them with their future-but look who memorized all of the dance moves and doesn't get side aches-ha!), biking (accidentally rode through dog doo on a rainy day and it sprayed all over me), nordic walking (HOW could I have injured myself walking?), jewelry making (ummmm...working with wire is so much harder than YouTube lead me to believe!), and I think that's all so far.
Winter is coming, and I have so many things to try (and achieve mediocrity).
I've had so much fun!

London, glad you are feeling better and are now the smoothest and coolest guy at work!

Determined, thanks for role call!

TeamAugust-all of you, thanks being here and sharing-I'm so grateful for each and every one of you! I have a really small support system in RL and it's been a week where I just couldn't meet the demands on me with as much grace as was required. But it's Friday!

Also, I feel as though we haven't had nearly enough fireworks in here lately. Count your minutes, hours, days, weeks or months, and every time you have ever put your foot down and told that AV to back off! Terrific work!
Old 10-24-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Alright, penkins. What is this stuff? I'll try it.

Is it a powder? A liquid?