Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 13

Old 11-22-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

So my wife and some friends just visited her bosses marriage dedication at a catholic mass service. Mind you, we're pretty country. During the communion part, my wife pinches me and whispers " they think the body of Christ is in a CRACKER ?"

Ya can't make this stuff up--
Old 11-22-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Been a horrible day, bad bad frame of mind. I hate not being able to drink.
Sober and sick of everything today.
But sober.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:36 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Been a horrible day, bad bad frame of mind. I hate not being able to drink. Sober and sick of everything today. But sober.
Hope today is a better day. Just remember that alcohol DEFINITELY won't make things any better. Hang in there.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Jeff - there are bad days even when we drink. Just gotta find a new way to deal. Hugs, pal.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Thank y'all so much. The winding down from drinking is tough on me, but once I get through the cuo cuo stage, it gets better.
Big week coming, lots of opportunity and change.
I hope Monday is good to y'all tomorrow !
Good night
Old 11-24-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Just hi. We put an offer on a house. I feel pretty ambivalent about the whole affair. I do want to feel more settled. I am trying to prepare myself for my MIL's visit. She has a very difficult personality. My stress levels should be extremely high but I am surprisingly at peace. I trust the flow of life. I don't think that I could feel this way without having attained my sobriety.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Just a note from me... I am preparing for the holidays, last year it was easy not to drink but for some reason I keep thinking one glass of wine will be ok. Yes I am following that drink thru because I know after one the many will follow..
Jeff congrats on the job
DD I hope the house comes thru for you
Cindy have a great time with your kids on Friday
Whodey... you always have such good advice Thank you
SM... Welcome back, you can make it just ignore AV it's voice will become weaker in time
Old 11-24-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Hey Rosebud!

I too have been having thoughts about how just one drink wouldn't hurt. Like you, I think that single drink through and realize that it would be trouble. Still, the thoughts persist.

I just passed the 13 month mark (woo hoo!) and it's tempting to think that I have alcohol licked and should be able to drink in moderation. I'm thinking that this is a symptom of the stage I'm in and that it will pass. In any event, it's a reminder to be ever vigilant!

We'll have close to 40 people at our house Thursday ... about 10 or so are under the age of 3! In other words, the stress has begun! My wife does the bulk of the work, but I have my chores ... including cooking a second bird on the smoker this year. Looking forward to that.

Have a great day Tobers.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Dd I hope the house dealings go through, and I'm sending good thoughts for the holiday to not be too overwhelming for you or Whodey. We go to my inlaws for thanksgiving, so we get to return to the relative quietness at our own home. Good thoughts !
Hi rosebud !
Old 11-24-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Sending a big virtual hug to all my friends - don't have the energy for much else today. Will check in tomorrow.

XOXO
Old 11-24-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Greetings everyone! Day 10 here and physically feeling much better. I've been eating too much and sleeping like a log but I guess that's just my bodies way of healing at the moment. My AV has been fairly active, on and off since Saturday. It's plotting ways for me to drink moderately or only with certain company, etc. I keep beating that voice down and coming on here to remind myself why I'm here in the first place. I suspect early sobriety will be a tough go for me with the holidays approaching but I know that I have to remain diligent or I'll start the cycle again. I don't think I can possibly take one more bout of withdrawal symptoms. I counted, this year I have had at least 6 bouts of heavy bingeing followed by acute withdrawal - it's probably more than this actually. The WD involves a familiar routine of shaking all night, sweating, going to the bathroom 100x, feeling agitated, high bp, high pulse, and more. I can't take it anymore. I'm allergic to alcohol: it makes me act crazy and suffer immensely when it's taken away.

Thanks for listening. It's helpful for me to get this stuff in writing at the moment to act as a reference for those moments when I'm tempted to pick it up again.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Proud of you, SM! I know you can do this. Holidays are tough but why not get them out of the way early on?
Old 11-25-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

House deal fell through. I am honestly not heart broken. It was a sensible choice but I had no emotional attachment to it. In short, it was "for
Old 11-25-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Sorry. It was "For the best" We are going to rent this house for another year and invest my husband's bonus. I am at peace with this decision.

I sometimes entertain ideas of moderation, too, but I know in my heart of hearts, eventually alcohol would become too much of my life's focus again and I think that is a waste of my life. I like the wonderful, healthy payoffs of sobriety. I guess I look at it as been there, got that t-shirt, on to grander adventures.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

I think moderation is for those who like alcohol moderately. Like pecan pie would be for me. I like pecan pie, I enjoy eating it, but if I have it a few times a year or even never again, that is no big deal to me. One slice at a time is enough. Unfortunately, I love alcohol. I adore the feeling I get when I start getting buzzed. I want that feeling again and again, until it owns me.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I think moderation is for those who like alcohol moderately. Like pecan pie would be for me. I like pecan pie, I enjoy eating it, but if I have it a few times a year or even never again, that is no big deal to me. One slice at a time is enough. Unfortunately, I love alcohol. I adore the feeling I get when I start getting buzzed. I want that feeling again and again, until it owns me.
Great analogy! I am right there with you regarding love for alcohol. My love is so intense that I'll even force it down when I'm physically ill - I'll be massively hungover and then force 1-2 beers or a Bloody Mary down with the mindset that it will make me feel better. If that isn't a sickness, I don't know what is.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Howday Tobers.

I hope everyone's doing well on this restful (hopefully) day before the hustle of Thanksgiving and then Black Friday.

Thanksgiving is not a big drinking day for our family, but there will be more alcohol passed around than usual. I bought some Sierra Mist w/Cranberry yesterday and am looking forward to having that as my celebratory drink.

Have a good one Tobers.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Gobble gobble, Tobers!
Old 11-27-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving!! I am thankful for all of you!!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Last year I was so filled with anxiety about Thanksgiving. It was my first real holiday without drinking and I wasn't sure how to do a holiday without booze. It was so bad that I didn't want to go and Thanksgiving is my favorite. It's like Christmas without the gluttony LOL. Guess what? We didn't go. I couldn't handle it and my sobriety was/is the most important thing and I didn't want to jeopardize it. We stayed home and made a pretty awesome turkey dinner. It was low key and low stress and the world didn't come to an end because we didn't show up. I needed to learn that lesson early on - that I don't have to do anything that makes me uncomfortable or puts my sobriety at risk.

So much has changed in this last year. I sit here at noon and my kids are gone to their dad's house. I ran a 5k this morning and got my best time yet (28:12). Hit an AA meeting at 10:00. Gonna take my pup for a walk after I post this and later on I am going to Thanksgiving dinner at one of the AA folks' houses this evening. It's a total opposite of what I have ever done on Thanksgiving before and all is good. I have so much to be thankful for. My kids are healthy and we are working on the stress the divorce has caused. I have my job for today (Sprint LOL!). I have a roof over my head, food on the table, family and friends. But most of all I am sober. I have you all to thank for that. I carry you guys around my day to day like a little round table of experts in my brain. It helps me to know you are here and doing this with me. I love you guys!

Oh and by the way, at the AA meeting this morning I signed up to run one of the weekly meetings starting after the new year which is huge for me. You all have heard me say how nervous I get speaking in front of groups. Eeeek but I need to do this in order to do some growing personally. I want the push. I want this next year to be even better and I have to keep putting myself out there in order to do that. Happy Thanksgiving Day, my friends!

XOXO