Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 6

Old 09-19-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Thanks TX, I think you are right! How are you doing today?

KNB I've not had to be in any social drinker situation really, but I always hear that having an exit strategy is a good plan if you are struggling. Don't take on more than you feel comfortable doing and just make your excuses if you need to. I hope you have a great weekend anyway!
Old 09-19-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Doing pretty well, brach. Had some AV issues this morning but they seemed to have subsided. I'm waiting on job news myself and it's just making me a bit nervous.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

40 days today, ya'll!

Thank you all so much! IK am (actually, truly) looking FORWARD to yet another sober weekend!

Also, to give me something besides myself to dwell on all the time, I am planning on buying a guinea pig this evening. Wish me luck in finding one with a lot of personality. :-)
Old 09-19-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Who said it? I'm on my pity pot, too.

Dang! I really want to have some wine like everyone else will tonight and tomorrow night.

Getting annoyed.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

I'm annoyed myself, apple. But I know what will happen if I have a drink. And I can't deal with that. I'm so tired of going back to that place.

I know you are too.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Great job on 40, Hobbers!

I hear you on the frustration, KNB, Applekat, and TX! I can't afford that right now-husband is coming home early and I know he'll bring beer with him. Right now I am grateful for:

Cheese nips
Cranberry soda water
The possibility of ice cream later
Or maybe kettle corn
Must be hungry
That I can stop following drinkers on Facebook
The ability to still make it through 1 hour of zumba
Netflix in my bedroom when teenage friends of son come over

Wow-life is looking pretty good! Happy sober weekend!
Old 09-19-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Hey ladies and gentlemen

Hope everyone is doing well. I have caught up on the posts, some great stories and inspiring shares. Some milestones too which is great.

I haven't been putting so much TRUE time into my recovery this last couple of days. See example one - limited posts on here for a start. Yes, I have been to AA meetings but not really listening and just chalking up the number of visits really. This is due to trying to fix relationships and friendships which I am just not ready to do yet I have realised, with some help from my sponsor.

I am glad this has been pointed out to me. This is where things have gone wrong before when my head switches to "fully recovered, let's go fixing" mode. I know where it will lead.

So back posting meaningfully and I listened hard and shared in my AA this evening.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Ha ha, I can't remember who said my posts have a British accent but I really did love that comment and it made me smile ! I shall do my best to keep up the Queens English :-)
Old 09-19-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brach123 View Post
I thought I'd miss it and that it was a part of my identity. The truth is I like it much less than I thought I did and have started expanding my listening and enjoying different types of music. I had to be willing to change so much of my life and although fear holds me back at times I know deep down within that it's the right thing to do.
For once, reality is way better than we thought it would be. Sobriety is full of gifts and the price isn't even a hardship. Way to go, Brach keep going!
Old 09-19-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Good timing on the annoyed feelings you just posted tx and apple. Just listening to a coworker talk about going to a new craft beer bar tonight. Man did that send the AV into super ninja attack mode on me!! Unexpected full on desire to have some beers hit super freakin hard!! Now I am whining to myself that I am gonna have a boring weekend again because I can't drink.,. I know it is BS from my AV and it will pass. Typical reason I have failed at the 30 day mark before, but I am wise to it this time. We got this guys!

Hobbers, awesome job!

Brach, read your posts several times. Can so relate. I have been going to a lot of similar type shows and passed up several since I have been in and out of sober attempts as I am not ready for it. Just gave away tickets to fidlar and the black lips. Passed on seeing no age and the Orwells. I really wanted to go, but my sobriety is more important. Trying like you to break my identity association with that music, beer and underground clubs.., really hard and it is making me feel boring and old.

Another sober weekend and I am up for it! Fast forward to Monday morning and I know none of us here at team august will regret not drinking!!
Old 09-19-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post

I haven't been putting so much TRUE time into my recovery this last couple of days. See example one - limited posts on here for a start. Yes, I have been to AA meetings but not really listening and just chalking up the number of visits really. This is due to trying to fix relationships and friendships which I am just not ready to do yet I have realised, with some help from my sponsor.

I am glad this has been pointed out to me. This is where things have gone wrong before when my head switches to "fully recovered, let's go fixing" mode. I know where it will lead.

So back posting meaningfully and I listened hard and shared in my AA this evening.
Agreed. I've been trying really hard to ONLY remove the things that stand in the way of my continuing sobriety, and let everything else go. Fixing relationships can wait, and I'll naturally begin to do so when i'm really ready.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by determined99 View Post
Good timing on the annoyed feelings you just posted tx and apple. Just listening to a coworker talk about going to a new craft beer bar tonight. Man did that send the AV into super ninja attack mode on me!! Unexpected full on desire to have some beers hit super freakin hard!! Now I am whining to myself that I am gonna have a boring weekend again because I can't drink.,. I know it is BS from my AV and it will pass. Typical reason I have failed at the 30 day mark before, but I am wise to it this time. We got this guys!

Hobbers, awesome job!

Brach, read your posts several times. Can so relate. I have been going to a lot of similar type shows and passed up several since I have been in and out of sober attempts as I am not ready for it. Just gave away tickets to fidlar and the black lips. Passed on seeing no age and the Orwells. I really wanted to go, but my sobriety is more important. Trying like you to break my identity association with that music, beer and underground clubs.., really hard and it is making me feel boring and old.

Another sober weekend and I am up for it! Fast forward to Monday morning and I know none of us here at team august will regret not drinking!!
haha wow yeah I've been a to a fair few black lips shows and we both know the type of boozy, crazy shows they put on, best to avoid I think! I've honestly hung on to this idea of who I was for too long. I always ended up going back to my old haunts, seeing my old friends, it was the seductive idea of being a part of some hip scene, belonging to something. I now see those thoughts as my AV coming in through the back door, sometimes the idea of drink hasn't been so obvious but I know see it for what it is. And you know what I had some good nights out back then, but many many more horrendous ones so I'm letting that chapter of my life go now, no more clinging to a false idea.

Sorry if I'm rambling or repeating myself, I'm feeling some self healing in doing it. this is my new dance hahaha
Old 09-19-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Thanks, Brach and Determined and Choobie!

I don't 'feel' incredible, or super amazing/stoked, but YOU all sure do help at least keep me focused. I was asked, when I hit 30 days, at an AA meeting "So 'hobbers', how did you do it? What worked best? Share your story!', and I had no idea what to say.

I weakly replied 'er... I didn't drink today? And I didn't drink yesterday, or the day before? And I hope to not drink tomorrow.'. I really think they were hoping for something more inspiring, but to be honest, I can't say I have made much progress on the 'RECOVERY' part of things. I am doing a good job 'not drinking'/being sober, but as much as I would like to say/feel more beyond that, I can't really say I have much to report.

Which makes me kinda sad. Almost (but not quite) makes me sort of feel like I am in a way failing anyway?

Make ANY sense to you all?
Old 09-19-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

evening guys, great to read the thread, always helps me refocus when the AV starts a singing.

Hobbers congrats on 40 days!!!

major sugar cravings this eve (think its Friday night psychology), so am stuffing my face with marshmallows. I can fit 12 in my mouth before I think im going to suffocate. its not particularly attractive now im saying it and getting a visual image of myself!!!., but turned into a competition with the better half.....I challenge you all to beat it!!! (large marshmallows, not mini ones!!!)

feeling sad at times the last few days when I think of all the occasions I will not drink at, and therefore may not be a part of, and I feel angry that I cant do what other people can do so easily - drink normally. I feel truly furious that I cant have champagne on my birthday. for gods sake, its only a different beverage in the flipping glass why is it so powerful? Im sure this will pass - , I guess its like a grieving process - there are many stages to process. However, this is my choice and mine alone, and I made it, so why am I so sad? Im elated at my abstinence but .......well just a bad day I guess. Not bad enough to give in tho!!! weekend blues.

Im going to eat more marshmallows!!!! and have another diet vimto :-)
will plough through this gloom and pick my sorry self up.
stay strong peeps.
x
Old 09-19-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

hobbers its day by day, we cannot expect euphoria on a certain day - we don't have an instant cure. I think your response is realistic, and I feel rather similar, but whether you feel its big or small, it is still a very significant achievement, be proud of each day, and take it day by day x we are proud of you x
Old 09-19-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Well I stayed at work long enough to get through my "risky time." Time to head home.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

well done TX x
Old 09-19-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Way to go TX! Hope you have some down time planned at home?
Old 09-19-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Well done on 40days Hobbers!

Can relate to your post Pink about being jealous of people who can drink 'normally' at events like birthdays and weddings, think its because I know Id be obsessing about not drinking and not being able to just enjoy the atmosphere. So called normal people don't seem to do this, to them the drinks an added bonus, to me its the main event!!! Even when Ive not drank in the past at such events it preoccupied my brain so much that I just couldn't relax, felt like I was holding my breath while everyone else could breathe- if that makes sense??!!

Anyway Im hoping and praying that this obsession will leave me and I one day will feel at ease wherever I am and whoever Im with.

Thanks again for advice about my friend who's struggling, its on-going and Im trying to balance out helping them and protecting my sobriety.

Went to fantastic AA step meeting tonight, it was step one so everyone could relate and we laughed at the crazy things we did without glamorising it.

Had to get a bus back with a few drunks on after meeting but I was looking forward to getting home and catching up with this great class!
Old 09-19-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Well done TX!