Notices

24-Hour Recovery Connections Part 15

Old 09-19-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Talking In for some 24 hour planning.

3:18pm On a sunny warm California day.

Rather than saying "NO! to drugs, say "YES" to Recovery!

Old 09-19-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  
orangutan

24 more please
Old 09-19-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

24 more from the northwoods.

Congrats to all those sober today!

Congrats to those making milestones!
Old 09-19-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Me too - another 24 - can't stop now. New York at 7:18pm.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Oh, geez Rachelle - I never pray for patience anymore - have you ever done that before?

I only did it once, and was I ever tested. Over and over and over. Finally I prayed for inner peace.

I'll never pray for patience again. YMMV - I hope it does!
Old 09-19-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Another 24 hours of serenity, compassion and sobriety pls ! Its 9:42am here !
Old 09-19-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good evening, friends!

Welcome to lhtlZold and welcome back to friends not seen in a while like forabetterlife! And to everyone -- whether you’re new to SR, new to this thread, just coming back, counting days or years, we’re glad you’re here today!

Congratulations to each of us, for today! And thanks to charleesavedme for keeping milestones and to everyone else who contributes & helps keep all of us on the beam

Here’s the list of those who’ve made part of their commitment to sobriety include posting on this thread from about 8:30 p.m. September 18 to 8:30 p.m. on September 19, NYC local time:

1newcreation
airwick
AlcoholFree66
Alynn
ANewDayNYC
ardy
aussieblue
BarbieKen
Beanie25
biminiblue
Bubovski
calico
Cascabel
casinva
charleesavedme
Coldfusion
courage2
DaneK
Dee74
domedou
erfra7
Findingtheway
Flynbuy
forabetterlife
ForMeForThem
Gilmer
Goat
gracetuesday
Grateful11
grtgrandpa
gvrecovery
HeartsAfire
Hevyn
jsm273
Jupiters
Kaneda8888
Keegan
Kiya
Kris47
least
lhtlZ
Lostmyoffswitch
Mags1
Marcher13
martina12
michaels_w
Missy7
rachelle77
redwings12
Salgal
sickofthiscrap
SnowDawg
SoberLeigh
sthlondonab
tgirl
tootsl1
veryready
VikingGF
Waterfalls2014
yukonm
Zencat -- thx for Linus!

Mythical, magical, and divine birds. The story of the nightingale all starts with a pair of pretty sisters named Philomela and Procne. Procne makes a good marriage to a rich foreign king named Tereus. Though the auspices at their marriage aren’t good – the Furies make their marriage bed – Procne gives birth to a son. But Procne misses her little sister, Philomela, so Tereus offers to go get her and bring her across the sea for a visit. Rather than bring her sister to his wife’s side, however, Tereus brings Philomela to a hidden, high-walled place in the woods and rapes her. She threatens him:
I, without shame, will tell what you have done. If I get the chance it will be in front of everyone. If I am kept imprisoned in these woods, I will fill the woods with it, and move the stones, that know of my guilt, to pity. The skies will hear of it, and any god that may be there!
So to prevent her blabbing, Tereus cuts out Philomela’s tongue.

He returns to his wife and child, telling them that Philomela’s dead. But in a year, she weaves a tapestry and sends it to her sister. Their revenge on Tereus is terrible: they hack up Procne’s little boy and feed him to his own father.* He attacks them, they flee, and in the end, all are turned to birds.

So next time you hear a nightingale, consider it the voice given to Philomela, for her pains**:

And, if you see a swallow diving up and down in the evening light, remember Procne, who was changed into a swallow, rushing to her sister in mad grief***:

Last, if you ever see a hoopoe, upupa epops, that’s what the gods made Tereus, with the crest for his royal crown and the long sharp beak for his savage violence.

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone in the next 24 hours!

*Trust me, I’ve gone lightly over some of the more brutal details in this story, told by Ovid in The Metamorphoses, Book VI, Ovid: The Metamorphoses - Book 6 in a new English prose translation with hyper-linked index.

**In nature only the male nightingale sings; the female like Philomela is mute. Details, details.

***Ovid reverses the sister-bird order. But Philomela=nightingale is otherwise standard.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Weekend here again and I maintain the daily sobriety habit.

Back to winter here in Melbourne but we are expecting some sunshine next week.
Australian football Grand Final next weekend.....Sydney versus???/should be good!

All good wishes to the newcomers;you are engaged in a very worthy pursuit.

"One may regard the world as a sort of metaphysical brothel for emotions" Arthur Koestler."
Old 09-19-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
By grace, I will humbly request another 1,440 please!

I wanted to share this with all - It made my day, week and month. Funny what becomes important in new sobriety. I apologize in advance for posting this on 24 hr thread, but there are a lot SR friends who read this that might not otherwise.

This morning I attended an early meeting small group. A lady who is in her 80's
has an amazing life history and sobriety journey. Suffice it to say she spent many years inside the inside of our Nations Capital. She is one of these elder statesman that when speaking in a meeting there is deafening silence with all ears listening intently, heads tilted forward.

Her soft spoken, articulate lucid thoughts flow like rivers of life. She is an amazing treasure and is one with the capability to truncate War and Peace into a paragraph with no deterioration of message.

Today, she gave me a pamphlet after our meeting as I spoke with her. Awhile later I looked up it's origins via internet. It was produced in Akron, Ohio and intended for the newcomer ( 6 months or less ), but is relevant to all who find interest in AA and it's history. The pamphlet was printed in the 1940's.

I will treasure it always, given to me by this simple jedi master of a sober woman.
link to pdf
http://hindsfoot.org/Akr2dRdr.pdf
Thanks! I liked the article, particularly the finger prints analogy, and the reference to step 10.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Bobbi, my son is 23 too! Soon to be 23.5 [/QUOTE]

Sarah,
Happy 23 1/2 to your son...... Oh the days that we felt compelled to put that "half" in the year!
Old 09-19-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Viking, I have caramel/butterscotch ice cream topping in the cupboard....if you want to borrow a scoop!
This is for Tereus.....for doing unspeakable things to his wife's sis! Who knew?! Thank you Courage, I'm rebuilding or at least adding information to my Sober brain.
. And, Happy 6th Sober Birthday to our son!! We are so proud of him.
Hey, time to check in for my next 24 hours of my own recovery. Thanks to my HP & AA.
Bobbi
Old 09-19-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Interesting day for cravings. But I stand sober!
Oregon - 8:12 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hooray! After working nine days straight, I have one day off tomorrow. So I plan to get up early and go to the morning meeting.

8:32 PM in the forest.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Hi All. Just checking in for 24hrs. Day1 for me again. 11.53am here in Western Australia.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

12amET...in MD; excellent na mtg. As I've mentioned before, never had prob w/ drugs(know alc is one) but attend mtgs coz get, @ least to me a different view point of addiction & recovery from it. Plus get to do service work. The noticeable difference also noted, is its more relationship based than aa. Speaker tonite with long term recovery(17) made my point tonite. Before I get stoned, my heart will always be in aa(no doubt). Was just saying what I've noticed. She said so many good things, I couldn't write all down! Need 24 more pls
Old 09-19-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Bobbi, Congrats on your son's behalf. I'm so happy for all of you.

Gosh I'm craving a cigarette tonight and I haven't had one in six months. Say a prayer for me if you can. I'm struggling a bit. in more ways than one.

thanks. Aly xxoo
Old 09-19-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  
Magsie

24 for me, too, please. 05.58 am Saturday.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

24 more
Old 09-19-2014, 11:06 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

I'll have another 24 in Maryland today.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Oh, geez Rachelle - I never pray for patience anymore - have you ever done that before?

I only did it once, and was I ever tested. Over and over and over. Finally I prayed for inner peace.

I'll never pray for patience again. YMMV - I hope it does!
I've been doing that all month! Maybe that's why the universe keeps testing mine... Inner peace sounds just as amazing!

I just started working with high school kids this week, Bimini, so that's probably why patience is on my brain.