Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 32

Old 10-20-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Thank God It's Monday Edition~~
~~Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude~~

A positive attitude opens you to the flow of life. If you are depressed, angry, and unhappy, no one wants to be around you. You literally push people and opportunities away.

The wonderful thing is that you have the freedom to choose which attitude you want to adopt. There is no perfect way; each way is unique to each individual. Knowing that you can choose how to react is especially important when unexpected problems occur. Remind yourself of techniques to keep a positive attitude. In doing so, you are guaranteed to have a happier life.

To attract positive, joyful, and prosperous situations to you, you must be that way yourself. If you have an open, loving, positive attitude, anything burdensome in life can be lightened. Therefore, it is important to be aware of your mood. It is created by your thoughts. Every day you have a choice of how you will behave, the mood you will give out to the world, and how you want people to know you.

So if you want something in your life, first you must think of it, put your intention behind it, and keep your focus on it. It is almost like baking a cake. The thought is in the oven and you have to keep it baking with belief. You have to see your thought manifesting and becoming real.

Follow your heart and be true to yourself. Never live the life of another. You have to create your own road. You have a responsibility to be the best you can possibly be, so keep your mind and heart open to the higher aspects of your being. And you will harness the power to have a loving and fulfilling life with attitude!
Old 10-20-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
Congrats to everybody who made it over 1 year now! I wish I could say the same for me, but I'm pretty happy with the last year. It was mostly sober, and the last 93 days have been completely sober yet again.

I do occasionally look longingly at the beer aisle in the grocery store, but for the most part the urges are gone. My brain just automatically jumps ahead to where it's all going to end up, and how hard it's going to be to pull out of it again. So I just say meh, and move on.

The transformation at work has been nothing short of remarkable. I went from barely doing anything all day long to a fairly large promotion where I'm managing a large team and I don't have any time to screw around. Wall to wall meetings. I'm a bit of a workaholic now though. I go to bed about 10:30pm and I wake up at 6am (sometimes 4am!) with my mind racing about all the stuff I need to do at work. I tend to get to the office by 7am at the latest and I'm there until about 5-6pm. And then I work half days on weekends just because I'm not really sure what the hell else to do with myself.

I used to play video games the entire time I was drinking. That had to stop too. It was an escape into virtual reality for me. Another way to dodge life. And it made me want to drink. But that's what I used to do with my spare time when not drinking.

When I wasn't gaming or drinking I was reading. Unfortunately, I stopped liking most of the crap I was reading too. I still read, but I'm very picky about what now.

The same goes for TV. I used to like all those reality singing shows. What a load of crap those are when you are sober!

I know it sounds like my life must be hell from the above, but it's not. I'm not really that bored and I feel like I'm facing life on life's terms for the first time. And I feel like an adult for the first time. That alone is rewarding.

My personal life still needs a lot of work, but I figure that will come in time. Or it won't. Either way I'm good.

/Wave

UI, this is such great news! Thanks for checking in and letting us know how you are doing. It sounds like you are firmly on the road to success. Congratulations!
Old 10-20-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your 90 days UI

D
Old 10-21-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Thoughtful Tuesday Edition~~
~~ Let it Go and Move On~~

~Stop jumping to conclusions.~
There are two common ways this habit increases people’s difficulties. First, they assume that they know what is going to happen, so they stop paying attention and act on their assumption instead. Most of what they assume is wrong. The second aspect of this habit is playing the mind-reader and assuming you know why people do what they do or what they’re thinking. Wrong again, big time. More relationships are destroyed by this particular kind of stupidity than by any other.

~Don’t take things so personally.~
Most people, even your friends and colleagues, aren’t talking about you, thinking about you, or concerned with you at all for 99% of the time. The majority of folk in your organization or neighborhood have probably never heard of you and don’t especially want to. The ups and downs of life, the warmth and coldness of others, aren’t personal at all. Pretending that they are will only make you more miserable than is needed

~Don’t assume your emotions are trustworthy.~
How you feel isn’t always a good indicator of how things are. Just because you feel it, that doesn’t make it true. Sometimes that emotion comes from nothing more profound than being tired, hungry, annoyed, or about to get a head-cold. The future won’t change because you feel bad—nor because you feel great. Feelings may be true, but they aren’t the truth.

~Don’t let life get you down.~
Keep practicing being optimistic. If you expect bad things in your life and work, you’ll always find them. A negative mind-set is like looking at the world through distorting, grimy lenses. You spot every blemish and overlook or discount everything else. It’s amazing what isn’t there until you start to look for it. Of course, if you decide to look for signs of positive things, you’ll find those too.

~Don’t hang on to the past~
This is my most important suggestion of all: let go and move on. Most of the anger, frustration, misery, and despair in this world come from people clinging to past hurts and problems. The more you turn them over in your mind, the worse you’ll feel and the bigger they’ll look. Don’t try to fight misery. Let go and move on. Do that and you’ve removed just about all its power to hurt you.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Blkdiesel

Your reading today is a good one ! Many thanks for the tonic
Old 10-22-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~~ Wonderful Wednesday Edition~~
~~Create Your Destiny~~

Welcome to the day that you take full responsibility for where you are and where you are about to go! Today’s Daily Word is dedicated to creating your destiny!

Fact: You are EXACTLY where you are suppose to be! The Good, The Bad and the Ugly have all brought you to this point and what you do TODAY will determine which way you continue to go! You can use your so called bad experiences as a reason to give up and make excuses or you can use them as the fuel you need to know how strong you really are! CREATE YOUR DESTINY!!

What you are right now and what you will be in the future is all under your control. If you like what you see then keep going in that direction, if not make a decision and follow through until your view is more to your liking! NOTHING CAN STOP YOU!! Stop giving yourself a way out! Own Your Greatness and do not under any circumstances let anything stand in your way! (Not Even You)! The Great Life is Yours for the Taking!! Stop Waiting and Take What You Deserve!!

~~Healthy Snacks~~

“Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.”-William Jennings Bryan

“There’s nowhere you can be that isn’t where you’re meant to be…”-John Lennon

“What’s meant to be will always find a way”-Trisha Yearwood

“There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.”-Ella Wheeler Wilcox

“Our destiny changes with our thoughts; we shall become what we wish to become, do what we wish to do, when our habitual thoughts correspond with our desires.”-Orison Swett Marden

“Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.”-Ralph Waldo Emerson

“The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”-Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Some things are destined to be – it just takes us a couple of tries to get there.”-J.R. Ward
Old 10-22-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

BLK, I love yesterday's post. I have copied it and am printing it for both my daughter an myself.

Thank you!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Hey all how are you doing? I've been busy but well and sober, and that last thing is the most important. I'm treasurer for my aagroup this fall but will relinquish that when I move next year.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought~Thoughtful Thursday Edition~~
~~It Is What It Is!!!~~

Welcome to the day that you throwback the notion that yesterday matters! Today’s Daily Word is dedicated to regrets!

If this was family feud and we surveyed 100 people and asked what was the biggest deterrent of success, the number one answer would be fear! Number two? Regret for the past!! Many of us spend so much time living in yesterday that we waste our today’s while ruining our tomorrows. Having regrets is one of the worst things you can do!! Its a waste of time because of the lack of ability to go back in time!

The only thing you have and ever will have control of is TODAY!!! Spend your time wisely and always remind yourself of that! Anytime when you feel sorry for the past tell yourself these five words……. IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!!

Everything happens for a reason so instead of regretting what happened, figure out what lesson lives in that mistake! Learn from it and vow to never repeat it! That advance knowledge of what not to do will put you ahead of the game all the time!!! It is imperative to make sure you never give energy to things that don’t matter!! Today is all that matters!! Do everything you can to make it the best TODAY that you possibly can then repeat Daily!!! The World is Yours and NOTHING can stop you!!

~~Healthy Snacks~~

“He who spends time regretting the past loses the present and risks the future”Quevedo

“Have no regrets in my life. Everything happens to you for a reason. The hard times that you go through build character, making you a much stronger person.”-Rita Mero

“Never regret anything you have done with a sincere affection; nothing is lost that is born of the heart”-Basil Rathbone

“If we fill our hours with regrets over the failures of yesterday, and with worries over the problems of tomorrow, we have no today in which to be thankful”-Unknown

“The only thing you live to regret are the risks you didn’t take”-Unknown

“Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.”-Sydney Smith

“There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart…pursue those.”-Michael Nolan
Old 10-24-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Hey all

Some pics from my trip. Click on the link below. Enjoy !

http://kanedakurosawa.smugmug.com/
Old 10-24-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Thank God It's Friday Edition~~
~~Releasing The Past~~

Do you condemn yourself for things which you did--or failed to do--in the past? Everyone does this at some point. However, if you want to lead a successful and productive life, it is imperative that you release the past and not blame yourself for events which have already transpired and which cannot be changed.

Ask yourself this question: has "beating yourself up" about the past ever helped you or made you feel better? If the answer is "no," I hope that you will make a commitment to stop this self-defeating behavior.

The successful person takes this approach: learn from past mistakes and make adjustments in future behavior. The strategy of berating yourself for past conduct solves nothing and only serves to lower your self-esteem. You create a vicious cycle where negative experiences and negative feelings are reinforced, which leads to more negative outcomes and more negative feelings.

You are not going to change one bit of your past. It's gone. Learn from your past experiences and move on. You did the best you could given your awareness and understanding of your options at the time. This does not imply that your conduct was praiseworthy; however, you will gain nothing from self- condemnation, except feelings of misery and inadequacy.

If you have done something in the past which you can do something about, then by all means take action. If you have been unkind to someone, offer a sincere apology. If you failed to fulfill a promise which you make, take steps immediately to fulfill that promise.

If you insist on dwelling in the past, I suggest that you focus on your past successes. Visualizing and thinking about past successes is an excellent way to build confidence and self-esteem. What you think about is what you become. Therefore, when you concentrate on your successes, you help to create future successes.

When you find yourself starting to dwell on past negative experiences, immediately halt and remind yourself:

"There is nothing I can do now which will change what happened. I learned a valuable lesson and will act in a more constructive manner next time."

You see, regardless of what you have done--or failed to do--the only sane approach is to accept it and move forward. The successful individual does not waste precious mental energy dwelling on past events which cannot be changed. Instead, he or she uses past mistakes as learning experiences and springboards to future successes.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Weekend Edition~~
~~You are what you do, not what you say you’ll do~~

Remember that every moment counts. Every second matters. Honestly, whatever is given is a gift. So don’t be so satisfied with the success stories of others and how things have gone for them that you forget to write your own. Unfold your own tale and bring it to life.

You have everything you need to become what you are capable of becoming. Incredible change happens when you decide to take control. This means consuming less and creating more. It means refusing to let others do your thinking, talking, and deciding for you. It means learning to respect and use your own ideas and instincts to write your passage.

If you want your life story to soar to new heights, you’ve got to clear a path, reduce the time-sinks and burdens weighing you down, and pick up the things that give you wings. Keep your best wishes and your biggest goals close to your heart and dedicate time to them every day. If you truly care about what you do and you work diligently at it, there’s almost nothing you can’t accomplish.

~Live what you preach.~
Remember that thinking and doing are two very different things. Success never comes to look for you while you wait around thinking about it.

~You are what you do, not what you say you’ll do.~
Knowledge is basically useless without action. Good things don’t come to those who wait; they come to those who work on meaningful goals. Ask yourself what’s really important and then have the courage to build your life around your answer.

~Identify what’s most important to you.~

Prune nonessential commitments. Eliminate as much as you possibly can of everything else. No wasted time, no fluff, no regrets. And remember, if you wait until you feel 100% ready to begin, you’ll likely be waiting the rest of your life.

So challenge yourself to be who you know you are capable of being. Challenge yourself to follow through – to live what you preach, to walk your talk. Don’t worry about how slowly you feel you’re heading towards your goals, or how many roadblocks you find, or how many detours you’re forced to take. As long as you keep doing your thing, you’re still cruising far ahead of everyone who’s too scared to even try.

"You have to be a great human "doing" to become a great human "being."
Old 10-25-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Had a sober Birthday yesterday, this " ol' dog" is 35 now!!
😃
Old 10-25-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Workoholic, you young pup !!
Old 10-25-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Administrator

happy birthday workoholic

D
Old 10-25-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Work! Cool pics Kaneda.

I am fairly certain today is day 101. Which is a big deal to me because I have crashed at least one time before at day 100. Weight continues to be an issue. I cut out the daily ice cream but have replaced it with cookies, pie and candy. And I'm having problems with a toe so I can't get out there to run it off.

I mentioned playing games in an earlier post. I find it weird now that I spent decades investing time and energy in building virtual characters. I mean I know why I did it, it just feels like such a waste in hindsight. The alcohol and the games were a total escape into something that was not me. I'm investing in myself again. I recently renewed a professional certification I had let lapse decades ago, and I'm making a big impression at work now. Since I am fairly sure nobody at work knew I was a drinker, they must be scratching their heads trying to figure out where this new person came from.

I'm happy about the current situation but there are times when it all feels like such a waste. So many missed opportunities.

I hope you all have an excellent weekend. /wave
Old 10-25-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Great to hear UI! Don't worry too much about your weight right now as one can lose weight any time. No urgency around that. Focus on your sobriety first and foremost! It took me quite a few months to wean off chocolate and candy at night but what folks say is true , eventually the sweet tooth goes away.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Happy birthday Work! Just 35? Trust me on this ~ someday 35 is going to look really great. I was so worried about 40 when I turned 35, I forgot to appreciate that it was the prime of my life. I turn 51 tomorrow ~ ugh. Not to worry though, I'm appreciating my good health now. I can't wait to see the home made cards from my children tomorrow. It's my favorite part of birthdays.

Love the pictures Kane. Really enjoyed seeing them. You have an artist eye. I showed them to my children (they were born in China). They liked how even kids over there are focused on their phones.

Hope you are all well. I think about you every day.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Work!! So young indeed! Great age to get sober!
Old 10-26-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Kaneda, beautiful pictures!