Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 4

Old 09-02-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Hello all! I've been sober 20 days now& Haven't had a cigarette in 20 days. The SO said in regards to my quitting smoking that I "made it seem easy". I think he wants to quit too. It was anything but easy though because it went hand in hand with stopping drinking. I now have no desire to smoke at all. I really hope he quits. Love him too much to see him go through all the health problems associated with smoking. Much love to you all. I need to go run some errands before work so ttyl.

☆☆☆Stay sober! !!☆☆☆

Sorry for your loss xoxo.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

BBF well done!! I can't imagine how tough it would be to kick two addictions.

I just checked my notes and the longest stretch I have been sober since April was 24 days....then 14, 13, 11....and tons of other mini stretches. Today is day 15! I feel as strong as I did on my first stretch so I hope to pass that, and on and on and on...
Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Just catching up with latest posts and wanted to say big congrats to
Bbfly, 20 days!
Applekat, and eager4, 15 days strong!
Mvngon, 10 days and rockin it!
4llison, day 4! Hope your outing with your Mom is special today. I'm a caregiver of sorts to my aging Mom as well.
And anyone else I probably missed, great job on whatever day you are on.
Kbnslc, way to go making it through the weekend.
Rah, hang in there you will feel better soon.
I'm really down today, and have been busy looking for work. Almost everyone wants to do things online. Well, I'm from the old old school, and really would prefer doing things in person. Although online does save gas $, which is a plus. It just seems so strange. Even stopped in a few places and they don't even have a paper application anymore? What? Good thing I still have net service now, or it would be goijg to the library and waiting for my hour at the computer. Not getting discouraged, but its annoying to me how things are done these days. Got a few apps in, nothing in the line of work I use to do. And since I don't have a formal education, well, the pay scale looks bleak. But, that's all I've got. Wishing I would have done things differently in my youth. But, no regrets on my family. Blessed to have them, and had things quite well for many years. Some people don't have anything, so I'm grateful. But its got me very concerned.
Well, getting off here to look a bit more for today. Hope my team is doing great.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry for your loss zozo.

Checking in once again, I've been busier today which is good and also feeling a bit better, head is slowing down and more relaxed. I got the wrong day for my hospital appointment (shows where my head is at! haha) so have to wait until next week to find out about my lung damnit.

Got to spend some good time with my nephew and niece today which was amazing, I couldn't have been around them when I was drinking so it's one of the many blessings of sobriety.

I'm looking for a job, it's been a while since I held one down for a couple of weeks before being sacked, I mean we're talking years, so I'm nervous about that. In fact it's the thought of being back in a busy office around lots people that makes me anxious, drinking has really isolated me over the years and my self esteem is rock bottom, but I know the only way I can improve this is to work my way out of it. It's kind of exciting, but scarey exciting, the thought of an interview terrifies me right now haha. It shouldn't be for a few weeks until I hear anything though so hopefully I'll start coming out my shell a bit.

Anyway I wanna keep getting stuff out to help my progress and clear my mind. Are you guys still working? is your life approaching something normal?! ;-)

Well done to all you guys still going strong, it's an inspiration to people like my self who are still short of a week sober. This can be done and I'm gonna do it! x
Old 09-02-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Zozo, my condolences!

As always, reading everyone's updates is strengthening my resolve on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
I've been sober 20 days now& Haven't had a cigarette in 20 days.
Congratulations on 20 days! Today I've gone 1 week without smokes and 1 week and 2 days without booze.

The two definitely go hand in hand, don't they? Today I definitely had an AV moment for both, so I quickly stuffed one of the thousands of mint candies that I keep everywhere in my mouth until it passed. Success.

Rock on, August Army!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss Zozo <3

So proud of all of you guys for hanging in there this past weekend!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

hey guys. day 5 nearly done, but have found myself short tempered and more agitated today, hope this passes. also im so tired, much more than when I was drinking - I hope this passes too as feeling a bit sorry for myself today. I guess my body is exhausted, lets hope this gets better! had a glass of appletize this eve, was a good alternative actually. keep going guys, I keep rooting for all of you. your posts are sending me off to bed a little more positive, thank you all. its still day by day, sometimes its hour by hour, but that's still ok, every hours another win :-) nite all xxx
Old 09-02-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Just come back from a boxing class. It's nice yo lead the life I have always wanted to lead.

It's time for bed so I will say goodnight all
Old 09-02-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Hey TeamAugust

Great to read all today's posts and the support for each other.

I had a good day today and feel positive. It's true about life turning around slowly but surely.

Stay strong everyone.

I have a huge day tomorrow where drink will be close and I will be surrounded by drinkers all day on a work event. But I will not worry about that this evening.

I will post tomorrow to reinforce this sobriety which I will not be giving up. For now, another day of not taking a drink is another victory.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GraceCathedral View Post
Love to keep you Raggle- or at least have you consider following this class as well and checking in from time to time!

From my perspective this is simply a bunch of like minded people who got together in August 2014 to support one another in our goals- and there is great strength in the experience and perspective of others.

Remaining in the group shouldn't be contingent on being mistake free
thanks grace! that was my take on it too. that we all started together in august to work toward a sober life. not that we don't slip up but that we keep trying.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Sthlondonab- Congratulations on 30 Days! Outstanding!
Old 09-02-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Hi class sorry I wasn't here for graduation, but I have been following your posts and found them very helpful.

Not had the best couple of weeks but I'm grateful for not giving in. Made it through August and now have 5 weeks of sobriety behind me. SR has been a great help, so thank you all.

knb02 you mentioned getting the Caroline Knapp book and I have recently got a copy myself. Read the first couple of chapters and can identify with so much already. Looks to be a good read.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Hi all, some great inspiring posts here.

Today for me was the first day I haven't thought of having a drink which has been nice and not fighting that AV, its coming up to the end of day 16 here and this has been the hardest 2wks in terms of craving. But its so good to get through sober, was outdoors today making the most of the weather and catching up on the workload, felt good to be relaxed and focused and not hung over got more tomorrow and Thursday so keeping busy on that front.

Had a therapy session today and it brought up the whole powerless issues in AA and the fear of being too much of a doormat, its confusing because I know to move forward in life I need to be more assertive and confident and sometimes AA doesn't help me on that front. AA has helped me with the togetherness and in other areas of my sobriety but there are areas that I need to work on that it doesn't help me with- if that makes sense?!! Still going to meetings and doing what is suggested and there was a call in tonights meeting for a volunteer to bring the milk and tea etc and I said Id do it- can't do any harm, Im also doing the same in the Thursday evening meeting.

Got to remember that there a lot of re-wiring needed in my brain and that it'll take a while to un tangle the madness and confusion so Im trying to be patient and keep doing what Im doing and not picking up that first drink.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Signing off another sober day, goodnight friends.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Checking in on Day 21. Congratulations everyone on your milestones!
ZoZo I am very sorry for your loss and so happy you are with us!
Don't forget everyone there is an online meeting in the chat room in 2 hours and 20 minutes (6pm PST). I will be there to get my sober on tonight !!
Love you all !! -Chris
Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

@brach123 I'm right there with you on the job search. I have worked some, but its been awhile for me too. I understand your anxiety oh so well. At least you are going into this sober, so that's a huge plus! I just started putting some apps out there today myself, hoping for some kind of feedback. What type of work are you looking for? Wishing you much luck . Sorry bout your hospital appointment.Hope your lung turns out to be ok, when you do get it checked out.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

I think I just posted earlier today about how strong I feel lately.

And like that, within hours I feel as though I wish I had a bottle of wine right now. Just for tonight. I don't, and won't. But it shows you how quickly AV can roar.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Ok folks, here's my recommendation on the job search. I have had a bunch of advice and experience on "transitioning" over the last couple of years since I'm in an industry rife with layoffs.

Initially my biggest obstacle was finding a way to network without awkwardness- and making it easier for others to understand how to help mw and join my "search team".

Here's my advice.

STEP 1: Create a "Search Strategy" Document (different than a resume).

Include:

Professional Objective (Ideal Position)

Value Proposition (A summary of what one can do for an employer: increase revenue/decrease costs/increase customer retention/manage others/work efficiently and independently/etc)

Competencies/Skills (list 3-5 skills and a highlights to underscore them. ie Training- responsible for on-boarding new employees at X)

Target Geography

Target Industries

Target Companies (spend some time thinking about ideal companies in the geographic area in which you'd like to live. List 10-20+ and separate by industry if needed).

STEP 2: Select 10-20 "Career Coaches". Be creative here. Find those in your industry and others who come in contact with many people (barbers / clergy)

STEP 3: Write a "Request for Career Coaching"

After several successful years working in the service industry, I find myself in transition. . .I have attached a search strategy for your review. . .I am writing to ask you if I can buy you a cup of coffee to ask your advice on the following:

1. If you had my background would you approach the search in the same manner?

2. What other industries or positions should I consider?

3. Are there other companies I should target?

4. Who else would you recommend me connecting with?

5. Is there any way I can help you?

Ultimately this will focus your search efforts and make it easier for others to help. Conversations become much more productive and one ends up with a team of folks interested in their success.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Checking in on Day 21. Congratulations everyone on your milestones!
ZoZo I am very sorry for your loss and so happy you are with us!
Don't forget everyone there is an online meeting in the chat room in 2 hours and 20 minutes (6pm PST). I will be there to get my sober on tonight !!
Love you all !! -Chris
Woah. Whats this online chat thing? I think I've been missing out on something helpful....
Old 09-02-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Me too. I can't find the online chat