Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 3

Old 08-27-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Choobie View Post
rah-the AV stands for the addictive voice. Separating the wants and desires of our addiction vs. the "real us", our rational minds, can be very helpful in recovery.

"People with addictions are usually “of two minds.” That is, one side of them knows they have a problem and is contemplating stopping, and the other side wants to continue the behavior. Speaking for the “old self” that wants to continue the addictive behavior is the “addiction voice.” The “addiction voice” is very demanding and manipulative and thinks in the short term very much like a child; “I want what I want when I want it.” It speaks for a more primitive part of the brain that desires to only repeat behaviors that provide immediate pleasure regardless of the long term consequences."
(Confronting the Addiction Voice on the Road to Recovery | Mad In America as 08/27/2014)

Good morning! Last night I told my husband that if I couldn't get a full night of sleep I would have to cut out all caffeine to see if it would help.

His eyes got huge and he just said "whut." I think he was considering getting a hotel room for himself and the kids for a few days. That probably would have been wise. Fortunately, it didn't have to come to that. I got a full 7 hours of sleep. Look out co-workers!
Whats wrong Choobie? Why cant you sleep?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

do something today that your future self will thank you for
Old 08-27-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CristinaN View Post
Morning everyone!!

Welcome Jc!!

Rushing the kids of to school but I just wanted to check in. Looks like we are all doing ok and hanging in there. Way to go team August!!!
Day 7 for me. Feeling normal again. Thank goodness.
Three more days ChristinaN and we are both on day ten!! Lets do this!
Old 08-27-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

We got this!!
Old 08-27-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Welcome JC! I've had two very vivid dreams that I remember in the past two nights. I wonder/hope if that means anything about my sleep getting better. I am babysitting my niece today so I'm going to need to be strong and get through a full day with three kiddos (and my two were up early and are cranky already at 730, shocker). I'll be checking in lots... Day 9!

Same with me. It's wild!!
Old 08-27-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Morning classmates! Had a great meeting last night, came home with my "batteries" recharged for another week!

Ginger, I also give a thanks to each post, just so they know I've read them, and with this ever growing team, I could never begin to acknowledge each and everyone in a post of my own! But, you are all in my thoughts and prayers everyday!

And so Team August, let's all have a productive hump day, stay the course, and add more to the toolbox as we begin the slide to the Labor Day long weekend!

Old 08-27-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Just wanted to wish everyone a good and sober day today!!

Day 4- Also having those vivid dreams that many of you speak of, but happy to have some quality sleep!!

My schedule changes drastically today, and I have never been one for change--routine is my anchor. I'm recognizing that I need to be a bit more flexible. In a day or two, I will be fine. Just need to accept that the initial feelings of discomfort will pass and that change is inevitable and okay.

MV
Old 08-27-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Darn it. I was in the class of July but drank again (after five weeks and six days!). So here I am, being held back a grade for bad behavior.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Made it home - immediately put PJs on and am now going to stuff my face and say "shut up" to my wicked AV. I think I'll be safe for another night but that was close.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Morning all.

AV has been all over me this morning, telling me that it'll be okay if I get plastered (mine doesn't waste time trying to tell me I can moderate. I have no desire to moderate, and neither does my AV) of course, rational me knows that isn't true.

Reading posts this morning has helped. I will not drink today. I may be pissy about it, but at least I'll be sober.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulu212 View Post
Ugh - AV in full force right now telling me that I need to stop at liquor store on way home to buy wine. Know this is flaring up because I'm stressed out about something. Need to breathe and shut it up!!!!
Lulu (and everyone else who had a "close call"....) I am so glad you checked in with us !!
I am starting day 16 today and my AV has been quiet for 4 or 5 days and all of a sudden went NUTS the past 2 days. Sneaky AV !! Just shows that we can never let our guards down. You did so great by checking in with us instead of giving in to that lying AV !! I also use another tool and actually picture myself stopping at that liquor store and what would happen for the next several hours and how I would pass out and wake up the next morning feeling HORRIBLE and so full of regret and shame and anger. I would rather not drink than feel that way!!!!! Just thought I'd share this. It is how I got past the last two days. There are easy days and harder days and te easier days will outnumber the harder ones as we move forward but we should always be ready for the AV to come out of hibernation and try to get us.
You did great Lulu !!! So proud to be here with you all !! Hugs, Chris
PS- Being hungry is a prime time for the AV to attack. Great job recognizing you needed some food!!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JD4010 View Post
Darn it. I was in the class of July but drank again (after five weeks and six days!). So here I am, being held back a grade for bad behavior.
JD4010, you are always welcome here. We've all been there and we all understand! The most important thing is you are back on the right path. Welcome back!!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Great job TX and Lulu for not drinking!!!

And welcome JD. we have the best class on the board. . I was in the June class but drank so here I am. It happens but great job coming here. You will get loads of support!!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Wow it must be something in the air because today drinking is not far from my mind. The desire to drink after work was so strong...put your fist in your mouth bite your knuckles...strong.
I tried to distract myself by going for a swim but I couldn't find a rhythm...I swallowed water and my throat hurt. All the time I heard myself laughing almost sneering at me...your useless...it's too late for you now...who do you think your fooling...and on it went. I can't silence it.
So out of the blue a friend has phoned and invited me over for tea. Weird really because its a good 40 minute drive and I normally would be intoxicated so I agreed.weird because for the last six years I have never been invited for tea of a Wednesday.

I hope it helps but I have to be honest...the novelty is wearing off...I feel on the brink of sabotaging everything because the truth is I kinda do feel its too late. And it's my own fault.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raggletaggle View Post
Wow it must be something in the air because today drinking is not far from my mind. The desire to drink after work was so strong...put your fist in your mouth bite your knuckles...strong.
I tried to distract myself by going for a swim but I couldn't find a rhythm...I swallowed water and my throat hurt. All the time I heard myself laughing almost sneering at me...your useless...it's too late for you now...who do you think your fooling...and on it went. I can't silence it.
So out of the blue a friend has phoned and invited me over for tea. Weird really because its a good 40 minute drive and I normally would be intoxicated so I agreed.weird because for the last six years I have never been invited for tea of a Wednesday.

I hope it helps but I have to be honest...the novelty is wearing off...I feel on the brink of sabotaging everything because the truth is I kinda do feel its too late. And it's my own fault.
Raggletaggle, the decision to drive 40 minutes to have tea with your friend is a HUGE win !! You got this !!! You own this !!! You are doing great!!! We are all here for you !! Think how much better you will feel after having tea instead of the poison. you are doing so GREAT !!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Raggle stick with us. Many of us are anxious about even this upcoming weekend (ME) so post lots. AV is talking nonsense. We are all hitting some milestones where we get complacent. Be strong. Ok? Big hugs.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Oh Raggletaggle. Stay with us. Good for you for going to tea. Keep posting. We all know what you're feeling.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Wow, look at all the posts! Too many to catch up from last night while at work. Just read choobie, betterlife and avbike response to my future drinking AV battle post. Thank you!! Your advice helped strengthen my resolve. Good timing as I was just invited to an after work event in two weeks that I was already getting AV thought of, well just a few so I won't feel like a colossal nerd. But, now I feel proud to be a non drinking nerd! Gotta get through the feeling good so now I can have a few cycle. You guys rock!! How am I just now finding this site!!! Will read rest of post starting last night when I get home. Hugs to all for now. Great work guys!! Holiday weekend coming up, start making sober plans! We can do this and think how awesome we will feel next Tuesday! Eye on the prize guys!!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Please guys try not to cave in. There are so many posts about people who have drank again and they are full of self loathing. Its not worth it!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Such a strange day / night...restless all day, anxious and really battling cravings. Now, I have started itching like a mad woman and I'm 10, almost 11 days sober. Sigh - I guess it's just a bad day. I'm not going to drink but i feel like throwing a full blown tantrum right now. Ugh.