Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 18

Old 07-24-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

LB-how is he already holding his head up like that? Is that normal? I think we've got an over achiever on our hands! How did/is the mouth training thing go/ing? I hope you're getting some relief, I can only imagine how painful that must be. OUCH.

Congrats MB on selling your car-I know how stressful that is. I sold my beloved truck a few years ago and it is not a fun process.

Jeni...sounds like you have a full plate....keep breathing and remember to take care of yourself first.

So I got a place for August, *****! A permament place, but they're open to reassessing in a month to make sure it's working out for everyone. It's a beautiful little room with a HUGE window with the cool four-paned old European style windows, laminate floor, and a cozy flat in a very busy, very cool neighbourhood with endless cafes and restaurants and shops, and very close to the U bahn and S trains. (Don't I sound like a local already?) I'm living with a brother and sister who seem very nice and funny and I think will be fun to live with. So yay!

The next step: finding work. Should be a challenge since I don't speak German! I'll let you know how that turns out. I met a blogger here who runs a couple of successful sites and I'm going to help him manage one, and hopefully I will get this internship in September. Other than that-cafes, I guess? We'll see. It seems to be the thing to do here. Work at a cafe or a bar until you find a job in your field.

Anyhoo! Just checking in. I've been eating waaaay too much. Itchy--the food, the food! I haven't been craving at all--actually the opposite. The more alcohol I see around, the more thankful I am that I don't drink. Because that is all I would be doing if I was drinking. I'd be drinking and feeling like hell and making stupid mistakes and enemies. Instead, I'm keeping my head, feeling sad and scared and getting over it like normal people, making progress and making friends. I think occasionally how nice it would be to....but I don't let myself go there. I'm a non-drinker. Simple as that.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

IP - that was the most interesting pose to watch them orchestrate.

One person holds his head while the other positions his hands (while he's asleep). The one holding his head slowly takes their hands away to see what way the baby is going to fall toward. They then use just one finger to prop the head up on that side to counter it while the photographer readies their finger to take the pic. The second person then removes their finger to get out of the picture and the photographer quickly snaps as many photos as they can before he falls. It was quite remarkable to watch.

As for him being ahead...today he was scooting himself across the bed (without lifting his head up) with his legs - kind of like a frog. We had to turn him around several times because he frog legged himself to the edge of the bed. So....yes, he is advanced. He's not even four weeks, yet!

Thank you for the kind words, all! All 41 photos they took were fantastic. I can't wait for the rest of our sessions. We prepaid for a package that was newborn photos, 3 month, 6 month, 9 month, 1 year (which includes a cake smash!), 18 month and a mini family photo shoot (which we are using to take Christmas pics with my family). We get printing rights on everything and a gorgeous custom photo book with shots from each shoot and it was only $875. After seeing the newborn photos, I would have paid that for just those. We are so glad we splurged on it.

As for the mouth training...it's going. We had two really good nursing sessions overnight where he emptied me out (he hasn't done that yet) but then as the day went on, the sessions got worse and worse. According to the lactation consultant, it's 100% typical for them to move forward a step or two then slide back to old habits for a bit then go forward, etc. We will get there. We have to.

I had more I wanted to say but I'm brain dead lol. I need to sleep - or try to.

Have a good night, all!
Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hopefully things will improve in leaps and bound LB

IP in the UK we use Gumtree as apposed to Craig's list for jobs etc, I'm not sure what free website they use in Germany, but that would be a good place to start. Perhaps consider writing your own 'work wanted' advert as well as looking? It sounds like you are getting there, remember, baby steps, it won't all happen in a day, but once you begin working you will make a bigger social circle.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hey Overs...just dropped by to say Hi.

To steal a line from my friend, MB...still here, still kicking, still sober. Just a slight case of separation anxiety with my Undie gang.

LB, belated, but, GREAT PIC!! I have been peaking in and saw it a couple days ago, I think?

IP, I spent a number of weeks in St Thomas this past winter and the alcoholic beverages were abound. The upside was that the AA meetings were quite large and I was able to socialize with many of them. Enjoy, it sounds like a wonderful experience!

Haha, I see Toots is back on Craigslist. Just kidding, she has been relentless in her teasing of me for quite a while now.

Hey Itch Man...great day for a ride!

Enjoy the weekend, all!

I'm off to shoot some birds...oops, I mean birdies.

Carlos
Old 07-26-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi Overs.

Carlos- I'm sure you'll be fine without your undies- just don't post any pics, please.

I'm glad it's the weekend. I got a head-start on getting the house cleaned up last night. The plan is to stay home this weekend, do some chores and maybe relax a bit.

I've been working on going through my closet and getting rid of clothes that I don't like, don't wear or that don't fit. It's hard for me to get rid of anything, but I remind myself that I am gaining space for the things I really love and do wear.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi, Dee! I'm glad you're still here. :-)
Old 07-26-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks TriGirl

D
Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

Just wanting to check in. It's Saturday night and I've been so socially busy, and at work too that I decided I,d stay quietly. When you're single, it seems to me I'm always looking for distractions but it's OK to stay quiet too.

My OCD is strong these days though so I've wasted HOURS looking at real estate listings. One can dream but this is silly. I've displaced my AV to research...;(

Oh well. At least I'm aware of it.

Be well,

DP
xx
Old 07-27-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

the deal on last nights sober gig was, they had a DJ

and we play a 1/2 hour set, if the crowd liked us we play again (what crap)

a few band members were a bit nerved up over this

in my heart, i knew we had no concern

well, on the first tune the crowd were up on on the dance floor, and never left

end of set, the applause was fantastic!

we got to play our second set later in the night

and when all was said and done

i said to the nerved up ones

be it another lesson in faith, hope & trust
Old 07-27-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Zip sounds like you were right to have faith in your bands ability to make beautiful music my man! Wished I was there to enjoy the night with y'all.

Dottie, it is easy to find an alternative distraction to latch onto, at least yours is harmless!! I hope you are doing well in your heart at the moment.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

DP- Looking at real estate listings sounds like fun! I plan to move one of these days, but want to move out of town and have so many places I want to move to! I don't know where to start. Seems like there is so much promise about a new place.

Rusty- Glad to hear the gig went well.

Well, a new day ahead... I better get on it!
Old 07-27-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
I hope you are doing well in your heart at the moment.
Toots, I don't know why but this really struck me for some reason. It made me stop and think: am I doing well in my heart right now? There's so much going on, brand new environment, everything around me is strange and the future is very uncertain. I think I've been forgetting to stop and remember who I am and why I'm doing this. I've been in reaction mode. I'm here to experience new things and people, I need to just slow down and stop trying so hard to be "cool" with everything and "handle everything well." This is a weird experience for anyone and I'm doing as well as anyone. I don't know why I feel like I have to be this super awesome person who just hits the ground running and adapts instantly. It's awkward and uncomfortable and that's ok. I've been so focused on what's going on around me that I'm forgetting to check in with myself.

And also thanks for that advice Toots, I checked out that website but it's just for the UK.

I can't remember if I said I found a place or not; I did. Hurdle one: cleared!

I'm not 100 per cent sure I want to stay in Berlin for the whole year. In fact I'm sure I'm not. It's so huge and crazy I think I'll need a break after a while. I'm a small town girl at heart.

LB-I had no idea they did that with babies, to photograph them. Funny!

HEY tomorrow is 33 months for me. I haven't thought about my sober time in awhile, and I think I'm going to celebrate it tomorrow. I'm going to treat myself and enjoy being on my own in one of the greatest cities in the world. I'm going to cruise art galleries and cafés all day. My favourite thing to do.

Rusty that's great about your show--how fun! Congratulations.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Dear Toots, thank you. See how it talked to IP. I'm not unwell in my heart but feeling incredible restless. Needing to change everything drastically. Feeling intensively nostalgic for London, where I haven't lived in 20 years, yet I feel like going back. Perhaps emotional shocks create a need to change... At least, I'm not turning to wine. So happy about that...pfiou.

DP
Old 07-27-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi all, another pop over from the Undies here. Heard a sad story about a fellow I know who has been sober for over 25 years, However recently, due to some health and age related depression (he is 73), started drinking again. He is in the hospital now and appears headed to a 30 day detox/intervention.

Keep David in your thoughts and the reminder that this is a long term battle for us all.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Drake - prayers for your friend.

D
Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Congrats on 33 InParticular!

Old 07-28-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

IP I'm glad my words helped you to refocus yourself, SR does that to me time and again, it's why y'all can't get rid of me! You have yourself a wonderful day to celebrate an awesome anniversary, and be proud of all you have achieved in that 33 months. It is only natural to feel out of sorts being so far out of your comfort zone. It's good that you are owning it, now you can relax and go with the flow.

Drake, thoughts are with your friend. I can kind of understand where he is at, which is scary.

Dottie, is it London 20 years ago, or who you were 20 years ago that you miss? Sometimes when we are nostalgic for a time and place, it is actually the person we were at that time we miss most. You have had big things happen since the new year, and even the good things need adjusting to. I feel that looking outwards for distraction is natural, but ensure it doesn't allow you to neglect your psyche. There are emotional issue you need to come to terms with a little time out is a good thing, putting a lid on them and locking them in a vault? Not so good. Take it from one who did it.

Dee are you settled yet? How have you been physically?

Itchy, how are you doing hun?

FBL, FG, MB LB etc I hope you all have a good week to look forward to. LB I hope the wee man is feeding better now x
Old 07-28-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

toots

you all were there with me

and we had a blast!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

IP, congrats on 33 months! I think it's great that you had the courage to go on this European adventure...something I probably couldn't do, too much of a homebody.

Rusty, glad the gig went well and glad you got home in one piece

Drake, sorry to hear about your friend. Sending positive thoughts your way today.

The weather here is nice and cool this morning (only 55F)...I LOVE cool weather in the summer and this year it's been nearly perfect for me.

Have a great day, overs!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi Overs.

I'm trying to psych myself up for the week. My initial reaction to Monday is not a good one. But wishing it was still the weekend won't get me anywhere. I may as well try to change my thinking and get psyched up for the week.

I don't know why I drag my feet so much at the idea of work. When I actually start doing it, it's not like it is that bad.