Notices

Class of March 2013 part 30

Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Sleep tight, Life!
Life, same good wishes from me. We can do this!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Okay. Day 2 of no cigarettes. I'm going to attack this like I did when I quit drinking.

No matter what I will not light a cigarette and smoke it. It's probably going to suck a little while but I'll survive. Since it doesn't cause as much self loathing as the alcohol did, you will be probably saved from the long long winded venting I did before. However, be prepared.

I'm working on my conviction. I have to find the thing for me and smoking I know to be true. Been a little tough as I haven't had the physical problems so that's not been very motivating to me. I'm starting with I will feel better today. If I live longer, great...bonus but that ain't cutting it. Also going with I won't stink. That's actually more motivating. That and my skin will improve. Whatever it takes.

Staying away from the thought of gaining a few pounds. Temporary problem with easy solution if I do pack on a few. I did read probiotics help with that so off to health food store after work.

Upside. I've felt great last 2 days. My head isn't foggy and I don't have that sick heavy feeling after smoking. Had one hell of a nightmare last night and woke up in a sweat but I'm familiar with those. Lol

Downside sort of. I can smell all the old stinky smoke in my car and purses. Gag.

Back to my skin will sparkle again.

I pull this off I will be living the life I had back when I was in my 30's. No drinking, smoking, picture of health. Maybe you can turn back time. Haha

I'd address you all but I'm being selfish right now. Give me a couple days and I will be back to my normal goofy self.

I have to come up with a plan for when I want to slap someone at work. That's when I usually instead of slapping someone...I go smoke. Suggestions??

xoxo
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

How about this Shoes? You have a few days sober time than I do. How about I join you tomorrow? Seeing I'm posting with one in my hand, today is already blown. But I won't buy any today!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Shoes, quitting smoking successfully in 1984 is my claim to fame. I didn't think it was affecting me (after smoking for 20 years) but I had a Spirometer test and my lung capacity had dropped from 100% to 75%. No symptoms but the doc said I probably wouldn't notice until I got down to 15%! For me, that was incredibly motivating. I had recently gotten a divorce and had a 12-year old and I didn't want to let her down. If I could quit drinking as easily (though quitting smoking was not easy), I'd be deliriously happy!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Y'all get you one of these squeeze toys:

Oh, I'm back.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Rose, Here, Here, on your whole post!

Life glad you heard it as it was intended.

Shoes, can you hang a punchbag in the staff room?? ( actually putting a punchbag somewhere is no bad idea, works off the frustrations and keeps you fit). When I quit smoking, I went cold turkey, I found I chewed matches, ( had to be struck ones) and tore beer mats into minuscule bits I needed to keep both my hands and mouth occupied . A stress all is a good idea Trachy, though you need to remember to switch hands or you end up with one arm like Popeye!
Shoes, I kept stuff in the fridge that I could nibble, carrot sticks, peppers, cucumber sticks, cherry tomatoes. Resist the temptation to eat sweeties. Sugar free gym is good though.
You can do it. You too Budd. Both can come here to weep wail and gnash teeth any time you like.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Aw, thanks, Trachy!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Toots, you are a hoot! I still hope to meet you one of these days soon!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BuddinK View Post
How about this Shoes? You have a few days sober time than I do. How about I join you tomorrow? Seeing I'm posting with one in my hand, today is already blown. But I won't buy any today!
Let's do it Budd!!!

I will say. Just on day 2 and I'm already feeling better. Loved how I was relaxed this morning. And as soon as I had my green tea going, I was pretty awake. I didn't realize how just sitting on my butt smoking was stressful.

I'm up to a savings of $10.10 already.

The thought to smoke pops up....hmmmm...about every 20 minutes but so far they haven't lasted long. Minute tops.

We will be fine Budd! We already took on the biggie...this should be a breeze.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Checking in - still clean and sober. Sending Marchers my best.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Not to mention it was always when I got drunk, I blew the past attempts...which were numerous and even several months long. No excuses that I was drunk and the devil made me do it now.

Thanks for the squeezy toy Trach. I already know what to name her....she has an office 6 down to the left of me.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

And when you're a good boy and go work at your folks house all weekend you get:

The Haul
Blueberry jam, blackberry jam, blackberry syrup, strawberry jam, plum jelly, pear syrup, dill pickle spears, bread and butter pickles. (Not shown:slicing tomatoes, grape tomatoes)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
the haul.jpg (58.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Hi, North. Good to see you! How are you feeling these days? Did you ever get your vaca down the shore?
Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Wow, Trach! That's terrific! Looks like you had a good weekend!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers Thank you Life for taking my post in the encouraging way I meant it to be, I debated clicking the Post button but this is our lives we are talking about and sometimes it's got to be said.

Trachy your haul looks fabulous! What is pear syrup? Is it a regular syrup with pears in it?

Shoes you won't believe how much money you save from both the alcohol and cigarettes -- I have bought so many goodies and all I'm putting aside is what I used to spend. Your skin will look better, I'm not quite Isabella Rossellini (I know that's hard to believe) but my skin is so much better -- the grey might be on my head but it's not in my face anymore. Plus I can run up the stairs at work. Go Budd too!

Nice to see you drive by North. Life how are you this morning?

Have a good day peeps.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Hi, Life! How's it going this morning?
Old 07-28-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

I have dug myself into a hole. I have gained 5 pounds eating peach ice cream and cheese. I have stopped exercising. I haven't had a quiet time in a week. I need to change up my routine a bit. At least I'm not interested in drinking.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
Good morning Marchers Thank you Life for taking my post in the encouraging way I meant it to be, I debated clicking the Post button but this is our lives we are talking about and sometimes it's got to be said.

Trachy your haul looks fabulous! What is pear syrup? Is it a regular syrup with pears in it?
When making pear preserves, basically chunks of pears and sugar, there's always extra syrup left over as pears are extremely juicy. Once the preserves are packed, you're left with this fantastic syrup heavy with the flavor of pears. We use it on pancakes, french toast, ice cream...
Old 07-29-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Ok, Gilmer girl, time to lift yourself out of that hole! We both know where that can lead - depression, etc. Or are you already headed there? Please take good care of yourself - you matter! Is it possible that the additional responsibilities of your dad are wearing on you a bit? I recall that doing similar stuff for my mother was not always easy.

Shoes and Budd, how goes it with the not smoking?

Life, thinking about you and sending you strength. We will do this. What's that old saying ... "it's always darkest before the dawn". I hope you stay with us here!

Trachy, how goes the job hunt?

Marcher, you are an amazing woman! You take on things so calmly :-)

North, I'm happy to see you fly by when you can. Great to hear you are still sober!

Duff, happy to see you here when you can - having little ones underfoot is certainly a big time user even though it can be very rewarding.

And of course Toots! Are you starting to do things to get you out and about and spending time with others? Please give Joy a hug for me. Sorry to hear she is in a rough patch.

AFM, my home is a disaster zone with packed, partially packed and some empty boxes all around me. Last night I freaked out when rental lady emailed me that she thought I was moving in on 8/4 not 8/1. Knowing her, that means the apartment hasn't been cleaned and painted yet. Deep calming breaths! Tomorrow I get the key and movers come on Friday. That day I will probably be incommunicado all day!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

That's so maddening, Sass! You have worked hard to get all your ducks in a row on your end. The adrenaline is up. You are all tied up and ready--then you hear, "Oh! I thought it was the 4th you were moving!"

Another test of sobriety, and another proof of growth: grace under fire! I am proud of you, Sass!