Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 12

Old 07-29-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Thanks, Cyndi, but I am even closer than you think . . . 10 months. My sobriety date is 9/29/13.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

DD - Congratulations on 10 months!

I'm behind you, but I find myself SO looking forward to hitting the one year mark. It is so close! I'm a little worried, however, with there being a big let down after making it. I think I will need to be careful to focus on the bigger picture which is a lifetime of sobriety.

Congrats again. You have been awesome.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

I know, Whodey. For me, reaching one year will be a relief from getting through "the firsts" . . . first birthday celebration, first Christmas, first office party, first Girls' Weekend, first summer, etc. etc. I feel pretty certain that I won't blow my sobriety before my first year's anniversary because it is so close on the horizon, but I am nervous about what it will mean when sobriety should be "old hat." I mean, this is the longest I have ever been sober since I was 15 years old and I am 43! So, I am obviously still a newborn when it comes to sobriety.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Thanks, Cyndi, but I am even closer than you think . . . 10 months. My sobriety date is 9/29/13.
Dang it - I read that. Not sure why I posted nine LOL
Old 07-29-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Rock on, DD!! Ten months! Remember when 10 days seemed almost unthinkable? I'm grateful every day for this group keeping me on track.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

48 days. Fighting depression, but doing it sober for a change !! Met with a financial advisor and a pastor today. Using resources for the first time. Big hopes !!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

I wish you could see from our vantage point how far you have come, Jeff. You should be very proud of yourself!! I am proud of you.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to DD and Jeff - and anyone else celebrating a milestone today

D
Old 07-30-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

I second what DD said, Jeff. The difference is like night and day. It's clear that you're putting the work in. Keep it up, because it seems like you're heading in the right direction.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Hey, Tobers,
Off for a weekend with dear spouse and son for a church retreat. Back on Monday!
Fishy
Old 08-02-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Tobers, I need your support and prayers right now. I have come to realize that my youngest son is having absence seizures and I am freaking out. Since after Christmas, he has been having these erratic, weird episodes where he stops talking mid-sentence and looks like he is day dreaming or spacing out. They occurred so infrequently that we kind of "wrote them off". He is extremely bright and has always had a quirky personality that I am ashamed to admit, I thought he might be doing it for attention, so I ignored it. Well, we picked him up from a week of Christian camp and he had 6-7 of these episodes just last night. It scared the hell out of all of us. I am going to make an appointment with a neurologist on Monday. Of course, I have been Dr. Googling it and it appears to be what are called absence seizures which is a form of epilepsy. My biggest concern is that they are not being caused by anything scary, such as a tumor, etc. I also am afraid to have "epilepsy" on his medical record. He is such a bright, athletic, full of life kid and I am so afraid of anything "limiting" him. I am a mess, Tobers. My husband and I handle things like this so differently. He acts like it is nothing, so I feel so scared and alone because I don't want to freak my son out. Also, I really don't like western medicine and reading about all of the side effects of epileptic medicine scares me. I don't want my son to be limited in any way. Anyway, please pray.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Praying DD
Old 08-02-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for your son and for you, DD.
I hope they find the cause quickly and that the treatment is simple.

D
Old 08-02-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

The last 24 hours have been really crappy. My son with his seizures, my mom is on another bender, my eldest dog is truly on his last legs, and the fact that my eldest is leaving in a couple of weeks for college has hit me like a ton of bricks. But even with all of this, I realized that I have had no desire to drink. I have been on the verge of tears all day, and yet no cravings. Thank you, God. And thank you all for continued prayers.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

DD ... Prayers for you, your family, and your son. It is scary when a child faces a health issue. My only advice is to not spend too much time with Dr. Google until you have a diagnosis.

Exciting and scary both to have another son heading off to college. My daughter will be there in three years. Yikes!

Great job with your sobriety. You have made such progress this year.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Sending you and your family good juju, DD. I hope that whatever is going on with your son can be figured out and treated without any problems. Going through these things will be a lot easier sober.

I've had a headache all week and I think it's finally going away. I now have a million things to do because I slacked off this week. How did I ever get anything done with hangovers?
Old 08-03-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

DD
Sorry to hear about all of this! Prayers a-plenty from Fishy!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Good morning, fellow Tobers.

I'm back from a relaxing vacation in Michigan and ready to get back at it. I did well with my sobriety, but there were a few wistful moments when I wish I could have had a drink like "normal" people. I'll try to post details later as I'm short on time at the moment.

Today's Fact of the Day:
A Galapagos tortoise that died in 2006 at Steve Irwin's zoo was originally owned as a pet by Charles Darwin in 1835.
Carry on, Tobers.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

I am checking in all! Trying to catch up, yet again. I was about to do all the fireworks and stuff for you DD for you 10 months....then I saw your posting about your son.....Don't worry, my friend....petit mal seizures are VERY COMMON. Not limiting, really, in any way. They have tons of medications for these.....hang in there and talk to the doc. PM me if you like.....have had many, many, students with same symptoms over 30 years in education! And remember, doctors are not Gods....they do NOT know it all......I learned from my shattered ankle experience that internet searching can be harmful to your emotional health when it comes to medical issues! Be well....and a belated congrats on 10 months!!!!!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Trudging said it! Those are very common. Sending lots of prayers and hugs your way, DD!

Keep us posted!