Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 12

Old 07-22-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

JL, you are rockin' it with your 40 days! Way to go. I do second the thought of checking with your doc about the meds. They can probably help find a different one that works for you without the side effect of weight gain (water gain?) that you're experiencing. The first antidepressant I was prescribed made me so sleepy that I was ready to lay down on the sidewalk for a nap - no joke, I was thinking that the concrete would probably be perfectly cozy. I talked to my doc and switched to something else, and now I feel normal. Their job is to work for YOU to find something that works for your body, so don't be afraid to keep going back. Docs know that it might take a few tries to get the right med - it goes with the antidepressant territory.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi all....still ALIVE here, and STILL in CA.....AND.....the nightmare continues, BUT, I remain sober Bought a car yesterday. "Family", you ask????? What a loaded word. All promises...NO FOLLOW THROUGH. The ONLY person who has helped my has been my ADDICT DAUGHTER (now clean). YAY!!! So, I have literally been "stuck" at sister's house too....oh ya, they all "say" I will be able to use their car for a day or two....ya, right. So....screw it, and them.....I just bought a Mazda Tribute (2005) for about $6,000 out the door....and that was that. NEVER AGAIN WILL I ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN TO ME. No, I am not a victim, martyr, or anything else like that. I am in control and take responsibility for myself. I DID, however, go to my first AA mtg. in 4 years, with my nephew...did I tell you guys this already? If not, I will share later.....BACK TO PURA VIDA ON SAT.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Awesome news, Trudging ! A victim you are NOT ! Happy happy for you.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Cool, Trudging. Are you going to bring the car down with you to CR? Have it shipped?

I had my first drinking dream in a long time last night. I dreamt that I was at a wedding in two different cities. I didn't remember my behavior because I had blacked out, but I had puked all over and my husband and my father were furious with me. My mom was angry, but downplaying it. Anyway, I woke up so relieved that it wasn't true. It feels good to know that I never have to drink alcohol again. I never thought I would say that.

I am feeling irritable. I get this way a lot in the summer because I don't feel like I get enough guilt-free "me time." Then I find myself "rewarding" myself with fatty desserts which doesn't do much for me in the long run. Oh well, this too shall pass . . .
Old 07-22-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been out of the loop for a while with personal issues. Back now.
Good to see you guys still here

D
Old 07-22-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Nice to hear from you Dee. I hope you're doing well.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Nice to see you around these parts, Dee. I am guessing the housing situation is looking up now??
Old 07-22-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

Moving into another unit here for now. Not a permanent solution but gives me some breathing space

D
Old 07-22-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Dee!

Funny, DD, about the "reward" system. I used to tell folks I had a "glass-shaped vacuum" in my hands as I headed towards the bar, and I would accompany that with "I choose what kind of useless calories I want; I don't want FAT calories." So, now when I'm feeling that "vacuum", what do I do? Fat calories. Some reward!

Fishy
Old 07-22-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Welcome back Dee !! My 2 cents on reward eating: you guys are NOT drinking alcohol. You are fighting a disease that kills so many ppl. Live my friends. Have a snack! Maybe in nuts, but I'm so thankful to be alive and awake at 43, with sons 5 and 1 to raise. So thankful for all of you, just for posting. 41 days. My name by the way is Jeff, and I am in recovery !!!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

41 days, JL! Woot!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Jeff, you are one day from a gorgeous, brand new, shiny liver!!!! (said in my best Bob Barker/Price is Right voice) I am smiling ear to ear for you. You, my friend, are the epitome of persistence and never giving up. I give you the Tobers Award for Most Improved!!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

YAY Jeff! Keep it up! We can ALL do this Welcome back, Dee....No, DD...won't be shipping it (although probably should given all of the crap we are having with our car in Costa Rica). Just bought it to NOT have to rent a car OR DEPEND ON ANYONE AGAIN, when we come to visit CA. Nice day in Santa Barbara with my sis, older daughter and her boyfriend. Their house is coming along beautifully! Bought it as a probate sale for $375,000 and have LITERALLY restored the entire house (including the foundation) THEMSELVES.....house next door recently appraised for 1.2 mil. 1820 victorian.....Then we went "shopping" at this kinda like thrift store. I spent $7.00 , and got a WHOLE BUNCH of stuff!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Sounds like your daughter has found a diamond in the rough! I love the thrift stores/flea markets/garage sales. I recently found some artwork that cost me $5 and I found out it is worth about $1500, but I like it too much to sell it. :P Trudging, you sound better than you have in a long time. I am happy for you!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Today marks nine months, Tobers. I'm hard pressed to imagine how I could have done it without the support of this group. Nine months ago I couldn't have imagined standing on this spot on this day. Thanks, everyone.

Reflection ... My sober twin! I hope that you continue to do well. Do post every so often to let us know how you're doing.

I'm feeling a bit blue this morning over the comrades we have lost over the last few months. I say "lost", but I'm hoping that we have only lost them as frequent posters to this group and that all of them are doing well in their recovery.

No quote today, but here's a Fact of the Day:
You can't swallow without your tongue touching the roof of your mouth.
You know what I'll be trying to do the rest of the morning!

Carry on, Tobers.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Jeff, you are one day from a gorgeous, brand new, shiny liver!!!! (said in my best Bob Barker/Price is Right voice) I am smiling ear to ear for you. You, my friend, are the epitome of persistence and never giving up. I give you the Tobers Award for Most Improved!!
I love this and second it!! Congrats, Jeff!
Old 07-23-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

WD - reading your post I was sad and then giggling at the end! I miss our friends too. Yesterday I was looking at their last active dates and Driver's was back in May. I hope he is healthy and okay.

Dee - glad you are back!!

Trudging - I agree with DD, you sound great. Good for you! Also, can't wait to hear about the meeting with your nephew.

DD - I had a drinking dream recently too. It was so weird and the guilt was compounded by the amount of time I have in real life. I know the days don't matter as long as they are sober ones but the further I get from the last day I drank the bigger of a deal it seems to me to pick up the next one. I guess I feel that way in my dreams too!

Sparrow - I had similar issues when I was on an antidepressant. Took a few to find one that worked. They also have some that are known to help with weight gain. Something to consider Jeff!

Fishy - are you camping again this weekend?

Glad you all are still here! I love checking in with you each day and knowing somewhere out in the universe there is a group of people that get what I am going through.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Billr hasn't been on the site since 7/7 and reflection since 7/3. I sure hope everyone is okay! I know there are others that have come and gone but those three were daily posters. Miss them all.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Cyn,

Thanks for asking about camping, but no (unfortunately!). Saturday morning is a community service opportunity with dear son (working on a local community garden). Sunday morning/afternoon, I'll be staffing a "brat" table at our local Bass Pro Shop to raise money for my Trout Unlimited Chapter. 'Tis all good, but it ain't camping!
That said, I may get some fishing or birding in on Friday! A former student is rolling through town, and that will get me away from the office and near some water!
I, too, miss some of the regular posters. I know that "slipping" from the regimen can make one hesitant to post (or remain engaged). On the other hand, the Tobers remain a constant source of support and encouragement to "stay the course". I'm in awe of those who are celebrating such major milestones!

Fishy
Old 07-23-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats WD

D