Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 5

Old 08-21-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

I admit that I've never had trouble sleeping. Sometimes, the dreams suck; Charlie Chaplinesque conveyer scenarios, over and over, boring repeating. Being disoriented and not being able to find my way home kind of thing. But... I always sleep. Commiserate with the insomniacs.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Another story of the path, for those interested:
A Penticton hockey dad
Old 08-22-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

The summer is officially over. It's raining and raining and raining some more. But I don't mind actually, kinda even like it. So good to lay on the sofa and get warm under a blanket and watch TV.

About sleeping. I never have problems, I am a super-sleeper. Usually I have very nice dreams also, so sometimes I am waiting for the day to be over, so I can go to bed and have another dream.

This week I finished with my AD pills and today I had my psychiatrist appointment and I was told that if I feel anxiety I can take valerian pills. Not drops, only pills. Anything liquid contains alcohol and I can't have any of that because of the antabuse shot I got in spring. I think I will be fine, but I feel more confident to know there is something I can take when needed.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Always know that when summer is over in your backyard that spring is arriving somewhere else
Old 08-22-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  
waking down

Valerian usually helps me sleep, but also helps with anxiety. It has a way of shutting off obsessive thoughts. It's a root. I've found the ground root in capsules works best.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Still feel somewhat like an intruder in this group. Since I am still drinking (excessively). Regular failed attempts to stop. I feel that I am drifting into an inevitable quit, probably because the body will insist. What a struggle! As you all know. The good and the bad. Fortunately for me, there is no ugly. Listening to the David Byrne playlist on Songza. No insights from me tonight. I get grounded by your reports of how good you feel, post habit.
It is inspiration. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  
waking down

Thanks for your honesty. You're never an intruder.

Love Byrne. Saw Talking Heads a couple of times, one of his Brazilian shows, and a killer Uh-Oh set in the 90's. Remain in Light and Fear of Music tours were unbelievable. What a nut that guy.

Also got to see Tom Tom Club. Freakin' blast.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Thanks, Zero. Dylan singing The Idiot Wins at the moment. Groan. Genius, I guess. Not always to my taste. Good you saw Talking Heads. I love Byrne's playlist. Odd, good guy.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Not an intruder Jack. If you think so of yourself, you'd think I am also an intruder. Remember, my last dink was in april not december. But I have no such feeling and I will defenately not join a later group. I like it here.

You gays defenately have different taste in music. I like house and disco best, but since I have a radio only in my car I only listen to it rarely. Recently I found a new channel, Retro fm. I lke it so much!

So good morning everyone! It is 8.30 here. I need to clean the apartement today and take some pictures, we have tp try to sell ths place, need a bigger one.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Hang in there JackRussel.

You and I are brothers under the same oak JR. I find that I stop for a week or two then drink for a few days. What I find with this group is kindred spirits ᤾- kind non-judgmental souls who are supportive and understand the struggle personally. I drink much less than I did when I joined. My goal is to continue my progress. Reward direction not perfection. Keep the faith and don't lose hope.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Just because you are in the class doesn't mean you have ace the test. Nobody is an intruder. I like Byrne too. Love the Heads but I only have one of his solo/after albums, "Uh Oh!". Love it. I haven't purchased new music in over 20 years I think. I was boycotting the price of CDs years ago and never recovered. Have not downloaded one song ever. Whatever the radio plays I listen to. Have a great station with an eclectic line up. WXPN. xpn.org

Muhv, not sure if that was a typo or if you think we are all gays. I do also love the theater and show tunes though. Glad you are with us Muhv.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone.
And to clarify: I was listening to a playlist called 'David Byrne's record collection' on Songza, the online music site. It offers pretty well any kind of music, 'curated by the experts', they say. So: I'm not sure that there was anything by the actual D. Byrne, but a lot of pretty funky, eclectic stuff that he presumably likes. fun.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

kinda like Dylan and Tom Petty shows on xm radio, or the grateful dead station. I don't pay for xm/sirius either. when the free introductory time is done, so am I.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
waking down

You should check out www.archive.org and link to the live shows lists. Every Grateful Dead show ever recorded free and with permission of the artists. Hundreds of other bands - mostly audience recordings but some soundboard. You won't find Dylan, but you'll find a lot of great music by artists who allow "taping" and allow uploading "bootlegs."
Old 08-23-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

I've enjoyed the Steely Dan youtube videos of their 'making of' series. Making of...Peg. Deacon Blues...Great stories and background. Too old for you, Muhv. But these guys are still touring. Will be close to me in a week or so.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Brothers under the same Oak. I like that, Vet. Thanks. As a Canadian, that sounds like a reference born of a Southern tradition. Spanish moss? A certain elegance. And from a place that never gets snowy winters! I appreciate your support. And yes, we do share a journey.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
waking down

I meant to mention about that hockey dad article - there was a link to an article about research linking DNA to alcoholism. Makes so much sense. Drinking to get drunk is in my genes (I am stereotypically Irish-American). Alcohol felt so right for so long that when it started to go wrong it didn't seem right.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

You are quite intuitive, Jack R. Even though I live and work in the Washington D.C. metro area, I was born and grew up in the southern state of Arkansas. Stay strong and keep the faith.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  
waking down

...under the same oak? Faulkner?
Old 08-24-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Not sure if it's Faulkner Zero. I grew up with the phrase. I should look into it and let you know.